• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daily costings

goldie from aus

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Hi all, planning for my first Camino have all my clobber pretty much sorted, now saving. Realistically, how much more do you need to budget for the day-to-day Camino costs now compared to pre Covid. Book to do Camino from SJPP to SdCP starting Oct – approx. 30 days walking. Thoughts appreciated 😊

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all, planning for my first Camino have all my clobber pretty much sorted, now saving. Realistically, how much more do you need to budget for the day-to-day Camino costs now compared to pre Covid. Book to do Camino from SJPP to SdCP starting Oct – approx. 30 days walking. Thoughts appreciated 😊
I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in May 2022. I stayed in an Albergue whenever possible. Money was spent around 50 eur/day.

Thanks, I was beginning to think I would need about $100 euros at day each.
With a more or less daily allowance/budget of 100 Euros, you might as well stay in pensions or hostals. They provide you with a private room with private bath, and, most if not all, comes with free dinner and or breakfast. Hence, the price/cost difference between staying in communal albergues is minimal considering the privacy, comfort, and amenities. You can still enjoy pilgrims' camaraderie during and after dinner, or while reminiscing your just completed stage of your Camino. More important though is your rest and recuperation and being able to use the bathroom when you need it. Pensions and hostals accept reservations ahead of time.

Ultreia et suseia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My breakdown from last spring when I assumed I would stay in all albergues:
Albergue: 15 (average)
Breakfast: 6 (fresh orange juice, coffee con leche, croissant)
Lunch: 4 - 6 (usually groceries)
Afternoon stop: 2 -3 (coffee or orange juice - buy something to use the restroom and have a rest at a cafe)
Dinner: 14 menu del dia or pilgrim menu
End of day beer: 5 (usually 2 radlers)
Laundry: 4 (this is a splurge to use the machines when available, could wash by hand to save money. I did laundry every day but most don't)
Misc: 2 -5 (this is entrance fees, donations at churches, the occasional splurge on a treat)
Total: 50 - 56
I added nights in private lodging on top of this. You can decide if you want a cheap glass of wine or something pricier. Have a pot of funds available for the odd event: lost a pole tip and had to buy one, needed hand lotion when the meseta sucked all the moisture out of me, ran out of sun block, bought postcards and stamps, etc.)

Note: Others will have different budgets. I wasn't particularly focused on doing the Camino on a budget to save money. My focus in doing a budget was planning. Also, there will be upfront expenses to consider. You've probably seen lists already: new shoes, maybe a new pack, new socks, arranging for whatever method you need to use your phone (sim card, international service) and of course all your transportation expenses (flights, bus, trains, shuttle, taxi). I also bought a travel insurance plan that would cover medical expenses including getting me or my body back home (think Martin Sheen's son's accident in The Way).

Hope this helps - just one person's experience.

With a more or less daily allowance/budget of 100 Euros, you might as well stay in pensions or hostals. They provide you with a private room with private bath, and, most if not all, comes with free dinner and or breakfast.
I have stayed in quite a few pensiones and hostales, and dinner has never been included in the price. Sometimes breakfast was, but not always

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The low end budget for me and my daughter was about 30-35 Euros per day and we were able to stick to that on the Frances (we travelled separately). We stayed in a combination of municipal, religious, private, and donativo albergues most often - and a few private rooms scattered throughout our trips. But - I still budget for more - up to 50 Euros/day so that I am prepared for anything.

It all depends. It seems like most people here eat out for many or all of their meals. I can almost always spend 30-35 Euros or less per day depending on the availability of municipal and donativo albergues and of course shopping for food. I can usually spend about 10 Euros for dinner and lunch the next day if I am cooking and making food for myself. Maybe a euro or two more depending on how much and what fruit I want to eat. I usually have 2 cups of coffee a day and sometimes a tortilla. I always drink water as I am not much of an alcohol drinker at all.
When I walked the VDLP in 2021 I was with two other people I met and we had dinner together whenever there was an open kitchen. Not very often at all unfortunately. My friend from Italy could prepare great dinners for us for 10 or 12 Euros maximum for the 3 of us.
It all depends on your budget and in what manner you choose to walk your camino. There is a different answer for all of us.

It all depends. It seems like most people here eat out for many or all of their meals. I can almost always spend 30-35 Euros or less per day depending on the availability of municipal and donativo albergues and of course shopping for food. I can usually spend about 10 Euros for dinner and lunch the next day if I am cooking and making food for myself. Maybe a euro or two more depending on how much and what fruit I want to eat. I usually have 2 cups of coffee a day and sometimes a tortilla. I always drink water as I am not much of an alcohol drinker at all.
When I walked the VDLP in 2021 I was with two other people I met and we had dinner together whenever there was an open kitchen. Not very often at all unfortunately. My friend from Italy could prepare great dinners for us for 10 or 12 Euros maximum for the 3 of us.
It all depends on your budget and in what manner you choose to walk your camino. There is a different answer for all of us.
Thank you, that helps. I think it’s just both the anticipation and fear of the unknown. Hoping to shop at supermarket (maybe a market or two) when possible. I was having a look at booking the Roncesvalles pilgrims hostel – clicked two bed, dinner and breakfast and picnic omg $126 aus, can’t do that every day. Overthinking, I have already booked SJPP so might just leave it there and chill a bit. 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was having a look at booking the Roncesvalles pilgrims hostel – clicked two bed, dinner and breakfast and picnic omg $126 aus, can’t do that every day.
I would skip the breakfast and picnic (the picnic must be new, I don't remember them offering it the last time I was there.) There are plenty of places to stop and eat along the way after Roncesvalles.

I found that prices are a little higher at the beginning near SJPdP and at the end when you get to Galicia.

I would skip the breakfast and picnic (the picnic must be new, I don't remember them offering it the last time I was there.) There are plenty of places to stop and eat along the way after Roncesvalles.

I found that prices are a little higher at the beginning near SJPdP and at the end when you get to Galicia.
Reassuring thank you – that’s what we’ll do. Picnic Roncesvalles pilgrims hostel 8euro.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can spend money in an empty room and even I don’t need €100/day (excluding flights and my dog’s boarding fees).
There's a UK travel company advertising a 7 night half-board Sarria to Santiago package from £1,590 this September. Considerably more if you want a single room. And you've still got to sort out your own lunch! :-( I wouldn't be surprised if it sells well. Extraordinary!

Last edited:
There seems to be a general supposition that this whole Camino thing is complicated.

People who wouldn’t think twice about booking a flight or a night’s board and lodging somehow think that doing the same thing seven times in succession is beyond them or fraught with risk.

Still, it’s good to know that there are a range of options available.

There seems to be a general supposition that this whole Camino thing is complicated.
I've often thought that many personal blogs, videos and so on grossly exaggerate the physical and logistical challenges of walking a Camino. Making a walk from SJPDP to Santiago appear to be on a par with an unsupported trek to the South Pole or climbing Everest without oxygen!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've often thought that many personal blogs, videos and so on grossly exaggerate the physical and logistical challenges of walking a Camino. Making a walk from SJPDP to Santiago appear to be on a par with an unsupported trek to the South Pole or climbing Everest without oxygen!
😊😊😊 Thanks all. Need to stop second guessing and listening to the head noise. Roll on Oct 3rd. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the problems with starting in October is that many of the Albergues are already shut down. So, that may limit your options as far as finding a low priced place to stay. I hiked the Camino Frances starting on September 2, 2022 and by the time I got to the end of the month, places were already shutting down. The one that I remember clearly was Cacabelos where the Municipal said it was open until September 24. I figured that meant that September 24 would be their last night having people. But no, September 23 was their last night having people. Luckily, some other pilgrims called Pieros and we got the last places over there. To see my camino housing choices, go here: http://tmanshikes.com/where-i-stayed-on-my-camino-trip/

Thank you, that helps. I think it’s just both the anticipation and fear of the unknown. Hoping to shop at supermarket (maybe a market or two) when possible. I was having a look at booking the Roncesvalles pilgrims hostel – clicked two bed, dinner and breakfast and picnic omg $126 aus, can’t do that every day. Overthinking, I have already booked SJPP so might just leave it there and chill a bit. 😊

Are you sure you clicked the beds in the albergue?
Actual prices are now:
bed € 14,00
dinner € 12,00
breakfast € 5,00
picnic € 8,00
Which makes a total of € 39,00 per person for the full package.

And as written before, skip the breakfast and picnic!

Breakfast in Roncesvalles starts a 7am, most pilgrims want to start earlier (we switch on the lights at 6am).
If you walk half an hour you are in Burguete, there is a supermarket and two bars, where you can have a good breakfast. In the albergue we have vending machines where you can buy a coffee, drinks, sandwiches, yogurt etc. before you leave. Ask the hospitaleros for the vending-machines, as they are placed a bit 'hidden', many people do not see them right away.
Picnic isn't necessary, you can buy whatever you want in that little supermarket in Burguete and during your day you come along a few villages (Burguete, Espinal, Bizkaretta, Lintzoain) where you can have a lunch in a bar or do some food-shopping.

I was having a look at booking the Roncesvalles pilgrims hostel – clicked two bed, dinner and breakfast and picnic omg $126 aus, can’t do that every day

Are you sure you clicked the beds in the albergue?
Actual prices are now:
bed € 14,00
dinner € 12,00
breakfast € 5,00
picnic € 8,00
Which makes a total of € 39,00 per person for the full package.

St the current exchange rate €78 = $126 Australian dollars.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St the current exchange rate €78 = $126 Australian dollars.
Ah, did't notice 'aus' .... Thank you trecile!
But on topic @goldie from aus: if this is too expensive for you, you could skip the breakfast & picnic, buy your daily food in supermarkets and cook your own dinner. In many albergues you will find a kitchen.

Ah, did't notice 'aus' .... Thank you trecile!
But on topic @goldie from aus: if this is too expensive for you, you could skip the breakfast & picnic, buy your daily food in supermarkets and cook your own dinner. In many albergues you will find a kitchen.
As always thanks, heaps for the info. The supermarket down the road awesome to know, as it the vending machines at the Albergue. Especially the coffee one. So much to learn along the way. Buen Camino.

I can spend money in an empty room and even I don’t need €100/day (excluding flights and my dog’s boarding fees).
This won't be for everyone but there is an app/web/company called TrustedHousesitters.com where basically homeowners/hosts advertise their vacancies and find housesitters. We don't pay the housesitter, they get to stay at our house and use the facilities for free. We have to subscribe to the app which is a one time payment of around £70/year depending on which level of membership you want (they offer 24/7 helpline, insurance if your housesitter bails, etc). I started using them when our dogsitters were all busy/away/full and kennels, well you know what it's like now, were all fully booked. When you listed your house, you'll get a few offers so you can message or even video call the potential sitters and choose one that you feel comfortable with.

Funnily enough we met a "professional" housesitter on the Camino, so they recommended this. If you go away on month-long Caminos or longer, then this will be a significant saving.

There's a UK travel company advertising a 7 night half-board Sarria to Santiago package from £1,590 this September.
I know, it's crazy. In 2022 when I was researching the Camino for the first time I looked into this option and prices were around £500 mark for 4-5 day. The same companies are now offering the same package for £750-ish. I guess they have to recuperate the lost money during 2020-2021 and realised their 2022 prices were too low and won't keep them afloat. For £1590 I expect a chaffeur trailing me and handing out towel, water bottles, etc and a full body massage at the end!

Also, there is a hospital charity that partnered with a tour company to offer a fundraising Camino Sarria-Santiago, the fundraiser must pay upfront £350 and then raise a min £1500 for the charity. My reaction would be, you can do this yourself for £350 + flight and then you can do your own fundraising and whatever you get you donate to the same charity.

The one that I remember clearly was Cacabelos where the Municipal said it was open until September 24. I figured that meant that September 24 would be their last night having people. But no, September 23 was their last night having people.

This is true in 2022 and may be relevant to the OP who plans to start in early October for 30 days. A lot of albergues are only licensed until 30th October, so they legally have to shut come 1st November. But in 2022, some of them decided to shut a week earlier. I came across a few like this in Galicia, they said the bills were too expensive and they were losing money keeping the place open if only a handful of pilgrims stayed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This won't be for everyone but there is an app/web/company called TrustedHousesitters.com where basically homeowners/hosts advertise their vacancies and find housesitters. We don't pay the housesitter, they get to stay at our house and use the facilities for free. We have to subscribe to the app which is a one time payment of around £70/year depending on which level of membership you want (they offer 24/7 helpline, insurance if your housesitter bails, etc). I started using them when our dogsitters were all busy/away/full and kennels, well you know what it's like now, were all fully booked. When you listed your house, you'll get a few offers so you can message or even video call the potential sitters and choose one that you feel comfortable with.
I was walking a training walk with my local Camino walking group last week and this came up. The fellow I was chatting with has a daughter who has spent a number of years (I think it was six or more) paying no rent and moving from housesitting to housesitting around the world. By now she has a well established track record and excellent ratings, so she can snag the pick of the offerings.

I was walking a training walk with my local Camino walking group last week and this came up. The fellow I was chatting with has a daughter who has spent a number of years (I think it was six or more) paying no rent and moving from housesitting to housesitting around the world. By now she has a well established track record and excellent ratings, so she can snag the pick of the offerings.
Yes, I think the housesitters should start small with local listings. The couple I met on the Camino did local sits for about a year, then the husband quit his job, did the Camino, sold their house, now they're on their 2nd year I think of "professional" housesitting and they did the Camino together (husband + wife) in between housesits in Europe. They've been all over the world!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.