• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DAILY -- Forum Meetup in Santiago de Compostela

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just arrived in Santiago today...delighted by the glorious weather! It makes up for the rain and snow several weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing some of you at the Tertula soon!

Hi, Viranni,

I keep hoping that someone will get this get-together going. I don´t think there have been any forum encounters just yet. Let us know if you manage to meet someone today! Pictures would be great.

And congratulations on completing your Camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have already completed my Camino Frances from St. Jean. It took me 33 days! I am now walking to Finisterre via Muxia. By Friday I'm hoping to be back in Santiago. Hope to drop by at this café:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Viranni,

I keep hoping that someone will get this get-together going. I don´t think there have been any forum encounters just yet. Let us know if you manage to meet someone today! Pictures would be great.

And congratulations on completing your Camino, Laurie

Thank you, Laurie!
Here's tonight's very nice little gathering...hoping it'll be an ongoing success. A bit of a conflict for those who want to go to Vespers at the Cathedral; but that's just one more good reason to schedule 2 nights in Santiago after your Camino!

Attachments

• 20150414_202015.jpg
    20150414_202015.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like the new specific thread for the photos rather than them being here, it makes it easier to see notices here and check out photos seperately. Also like @peregrina2000 's reminder, on that photo thread, to make sure that folk are happy to be photographed etc . :)
Hope to be there in June.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello I am in Cafe Tertulia now :)
It is my fifth day in Santiago now.
I am done with my Camino!
I walked from St.Jean to Finisterre in 38 days :D
Next time, maybe I will walk to Muxia:p
Congrats, ydan, hope you had a great camino.

Wondering if you met any other forum members at the Tertulia. Those of us who are pining away for the Camino would love to see a picture. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will arrive at SdC from the Camino Portugues on 14th May. Count me in for the meet up on the 15th. Great idea Ivar. Cheers!

After @peregrina2000 kick-started this idea a while back, let's try to organize a place and time for forum members that have arrived in Santiago and are looking to meet up with other forum members.

When?
7pm (19.00) every afternoon.

Where?
View attachment 17200

View attachment 17202

This is located about 300 meters from the Cathedral on the way out to Finisterre (down the street that starts just outside the Parador door).

This cafe is run by John Henry, a great guy that speak perfect English.

View attachment 17201
I left a small table-stand with a forum badge on it that the first person that arrives can take from the counter and put it on his/her table. This way we an recognize "who is from the forum". I also left a small notebook with a forum badge as well. I wrote a small welcome message on the first page, please feel free to write something yourselves. :)

Thank you John Henry for cooperating with us on this project! I am sure that he will take good care of us!
View attachment 17203
Wow how thoughtful! Thank you! that is so welcoming, tears come down my face when I red about you project:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congrats, ydan, hope you had a great camino.

Wondering if you met any other forum members at the Tertulia. Those of us who are pining away for the Camino would love to see a picture. Buen camino, Laurie
Congratulaciones!:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hoping to be in Santiago on 20 May if right knee doesn't give up on me!

We'll be staying at Hotel Hortas a few times in June. Tertulia is just down the street. Excellent place for breakfast, read the local papers, check internet and enjoy the superb and nicely decorated cafe con leche. ;)

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm going to come by tonight… hope to see another forum pilgrim, or former pilgrim, future pilgrim, pilgrim admirer… really anybody will do. :)

Nobody here yet but it's still early. Either way it's good to be here, very nice place. I know y'all are all here too in spirit. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Edith,
How did it go?
I finished the Camino Portugues on Thursday the 14th. Vowed to go to Tertulia the following evening when asked by OzAnnie whilst on the queue for our Compostela. But I was too exhausted that my siesta on Friday the 15th became a sleep in and woke up at 9pm. It was hilarious!

Is this open for all? It did look like fraternities, verterans and such were responding. Also I didn't see hours of operation and months open…..

Is this open for all? It did look like fraternities, verterans and such were responding. Also I didn't see hours of operation and months open…..
Yes it's open to all Forum members. Please check out the notice posted by Ivar on the first page.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ivar - what a great idea this is. It will be great fun to meet some other forum members.

Thank you for putting it together. Everything you do the keep this Forum alive and interesting is greatly appreciated. Checking in on the Forum everyday helps me get through the waiting period until I can return to the Camino and walk again.

Buen Camino
I think this is a great idea and hope to meet forum members in June 2016 at Cafe Tertulia :)
I have found the forum very helpful and adds to the excitement of waiting for my walk of the Camino.

Hello, I did go there with my camera three nights one at 5.30 two at 7, on 18,19,20 May. Unfortunately there were no other forum members. I did find that when you arrive in Santiago some people like to meet for dinner at around 7 (usually outside Cathedral) that is why I went there at 5.30 on the first day. Great idea and will work I was just a bit unlucky.
Dermot

Hi Dermot. I think the best idea is to post a notice that you're going to the Tertulia on this thread because I don't think many people go in hopes of a randomly-up. I'll post in July and see if there's a better result. Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is a good idea Laurie.

I will be working as a volunteer, in the Pilgrim Office again this year, from 16 July through 09 August. While there I do intend to try to get to Cafe Tertulia as possible. Stop by, either location and say "hi!"

See you there, then...

I will be working as a volunteer, in the Pilgrim Office again this year, from 16 July through 09 August. While there I do intend to try to get to Cafe Tertulia as possible. Stop by, either location and say "hi!"

See you there, then...
I'll get to SdC end July beg.Aug if all goes as planned. Will post my date of arrival an hope to meet you :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am at Cafe Tertulia. No other forum members here, but I'm pleased to report that they do a very nice G & T.

I may come back tomorrow for another one ......

Last edited:
We were at Cafe Tertulia on the 31st May and wrote in the book. It seems that forum members were around many days but never the same day (at that time). We stayed around the middle of town next night as we 'overslept' our siesta :). It obviously will depend on how many forum mambers are actually in Santiago at any time, but with peak season approaching there may well be more chance of meeting others. We did finally get to meet Ivar which was good, and Johnny W again :):)

I visited the bar twice last week, both times at about 7.15. First time I just wrote in the book. Second time met a Brit lady, Felicity, I think. Was so nice to talk about the Way and how it has changed and other matters. Nice drinks and snacks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I posted a photo on the other thread! So nice to meet!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that the best thing to do is to post on the forum that you're going to be there and then hope that others will see it. When I was in Santiago a few weeks ago, I posted a notice here saying I'd be there on Tues and Wed. I didn't hear from anyone else that they were going, but I went down anyway to see if anyone had dropped in -- no luck. I gave the people in the bar my phone and asked them to call me on Wed. if anyone came and I'd be right down, but I had plans to have tapas in another place with an illustrious forum member and wanted to make sure I saw him.

Maybe this is just like the Camino Levante, starts off real slow and then surely will gain in popularity as time goes on. (Fingers crossed). Buen camino, Laurie

Sorry, I'm a bit late, but will be there on Tuesday 4th and possibly exactly one week later (Tue, 11th Aug) after return from Fisterra.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, it's official now, tomorrow August 4th I will arrive in SdC and will wait in Tertulia if anyone shows up. At 7PM. If you'll be around but won't have time at that hour send me a notice because I won't be really far away, I booked a bed in Roots & Boots which is quite close.

Hope we meet.

Congrats, K1!!!!! I hope that someone else is in Santiago to go celebrate your ending in the Tertulia. One of these years we will go there together, I hope! Buen camino, can't wait to read the day by day report that I assume you will be posting once you are back home and pulling things all together. Laurie

Congrats, K1!!!!! I hope that someone else is in Santiago to go celebrate your ending in the Tertulia. One of these years we will go there together, I hope! Buen camino, can't wait to read the day by day report that I assume you will be posting once you are back home and pulling things all together. Laurie
I will post my journal as promised :)
Lots of things happened and I'm sure it can be of some help to future pilgrims, especially on Levante.
I too hope that someday we'll meet and I'm sure we will have a lot to talk about :D
I'm in O Cruceiro in Ponte Ulla right now and the second year in a row they assigned me to a room of my own, for 10€. And it's exactly the same one, number 105 :p

But in Santiago maybe one day I will meet famous You, slightly more famous @ivar and we can all go to a church listen to the most famous @JohnnieWalker playing organs ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well I'll be there tonight August 5/6an tomorrow. Hope I get some company. Ingrid
Wow, you're super fast, Ingrid ;)
I was there yesterday but report follows in the other thread - with pictures. Shame we miss eachother just for a day...

Hola!
Anyone in Santiago tomorrow afternoon? I'm returning from Fisterra after 1330kms on Levante, Sanabres & Muxia. I have time until last bus to airport because my flight leaves early morning on 12th.

Attachments

• IMAG1774.jpg
    IMAG1774.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1762.jpg
    IMAG1762.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1760.jpg
    IMAG1760.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Not sure if this would help, but maybe the word Daily could be added to the title? I skipped by this thread assuming it was a one off event, which I doubted I could attend. It's a great idea and I hope will take off soon.

Not sure if this would help, but maybe the word Daily could be added to the title? I skipped by this thread assuming it was a one off event, which I doubted I could attend. It's a great idea and I hope will take off soon.

Good point AZgirl, your wish is my command, and it's done.

The other thing is that I think people really do need to announce to the forum -- hey, I'm going to the Tertulia tomorrow, who will join me -- because this hasn't gotten to the "critical mass" stage yet. We're still lumping along and I guess we can give it some more time to see if it takes off. I was sad that there was no one there when I went in July, but maybe next yeare! Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good point AZgirl, your wish is my command, and it's done.

The other thing is that I think people really do need to announce to the forum -- hey, I'm going to the Tertulia tomorrow, who will join me -- because this hasn't gotten to the "critical mass" stage yet. We're still lumping along and I guess we can give it some more time to see if it takes off. I was sad that there was no one there when I went in July, but maybe next yeare! Laurie
I also think announcing is important but there might be part of the problem in hour. When I was there owner told me 8 people from the forum showed up that day but at least an hour earlier.
I understand that there just isn't such a thing or hour for that matter that would suits all...

Last edited:
Tertulia has many times been a favourite breakfast place: pleasant service, nicely decorated "capuccino", newspapers, WiFi and meeting other pilgrims.;) From the (new) pilgrims' office, walk direction the cathedral, turn right and down Rúa dos Hortas. Straight across the traffic lights at the bottom of the street.:) It's a pleasant option!:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ha ha, now we're all jealous, C clearly!:D
Seriously...I hope you and Alan have a great meet-up!
We did have a great time chatting. We had seen each other before, at the Seminario Mayor (San Martin Pinario) but hadn't talked. It is so nice to put faces and voices to the names on the forum.

Anyone going to meet tonight? I could make it the next few Eve's! It's Wed 20 of July!

Kaixo MendiWalker,

I wish I was going to be there to meet you. Unfortunately I won't finish my Camino Portuguese until September.

Ondo ibili!

Mike

The idea of forum members getting together once they arrive to Santiago was a great idea but unfortunately it seems that it hasn´t gotten off the ground. :(

In any case, if anyone is in Santiago on the 9th of August both my wife & I shall be arriving there from the Camino Portugues ( including the Variante Espiritual ). Do let me know, if not we won´t bother walking down to Cafe Tertulia.

Ondo Ibili !

MendiWalker

Ohhh....if my plans for walking this summer had worked out, I would have been in Santiago on the 8th or 9th. Had to change my plans for several reasons, but it would have been wonderful to see you and your wife again! So great you'll be walking the Variante Espiritual. I really enjoyed this route and still dream especially about walking the Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua again!

Wishing you both a wonderful camino!

€46,-
Hi trecile, you must be getting close to Santiago! I think the best thing to do is post a separate thread with the title "meet up in Santiago on --your date and time here--"

The Tertulia is still in business and still serving good quality food and drink. There are gatherings whenever forum members plan one so I wouldn't drop in and expect to find others.

I had a long stay in Santiago this past summer and met up with 7 or 8 members on different days. And it was really fun. Good luck with setting something up. Buen camino, Laurie.

I actually arrived in Santiago last Thursday, and walked to Finesterre, returned to Santiago to meet up with friends, bussed to Muxia to meet some friends who have a place in Camelle, and now I'm on the bus back to Santiago so that I can take the train to Madrid tomorrow morning. :)
I'm thinking that the people who I've walked with are now long gone, so it might be nice to meet some forum members.

I actually arrived in Santiago last Thursday, and walked to Finesterre, returned to Santiago to meet up with friends, bussed to Muxia to meet some friends who have a place in Camelle, and now I'm on the bus back to Santiago so that I can take the train to Madrid tomorrow morning. :)
I'm thinking that the people who I've walked with are now long gone, so it might be nice to meet some forum members.
I am not sure how many do show up there these days... my plan was to have Casa Ivar open by now and that we could meet up here, but this year has been really busy I have not had the time to open up Casa Ivar yet. My plan is to get this done over the winter..

Is the little book still in Cafe Tertulia? Even if no-one else shows up, it's fun to sit and read everyone's comments.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back