• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

DAILY -- Forum Meetup in Santiago de Compostela

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
After @peregrina2000 kick-started this idea a while back, let's try to organize a place and time for forum members that have arrived in Santiago and are looking to meet up with other forum members.

When?
7pm (19.00) every afternoon.

Where?
Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 13.43.03.png

IMG_1324.JPG

This is located about 300 meters from the Cathedral on the way out to Finisterre (down the street that starts just outside the Parador door).

This cafe is run by John Henry, a great guy that speak perfect English.

IMG_1322.JPG
I left a small table-stand with a forum badge on it that the first person that arrives can take from the counter and put it on his/her table. This way we an recognize "who is from the forum". I also left a small notebook with a forum badge as well. I wrote a small welcome message on the first page, please feel free to write something yourselves. :)

Thank you John Henry for cooperating with us on this project! I am sure that he will take good care of us!
IMG_1321.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ivar - what a great idea this is. It will be great fun to meet some other forum members.

Thank you for putting it together. Everything you do the keep this Forum alive and interesting is greatly appreciated. Checking in on the Forum everyday helps me get through the waiting period until I can return to the Camino and walk again.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
See you there in about 70 days, hopefully will have done the Levente by then. Might even get a few photographs. Great idea.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be there the 2 of April or the 3 of April together with my Camino friend from the Portuguese Camino 2014. Maybe we will see you Kardisa I hope so. And we will definitely post pictures!
It is a great idea with a meeting point for the Forum. I hope to see all of you sooner or later.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Favorito breakfast place for The Amigos! Better not get too popular, because the inside is not very big!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Favorito breakfast place for The Amigos! Better not get too popular, because the inside is not very big!

Anne, remember the room off to the side (on the left and up a few steps)? I think that's rarely used/filled. Ekelund, will you post the first picture of a forum meet-up????? Hoping this becomes a regular event, as a forum we are big enough, I think! Buen camino, Laurie

No, Laurie, i never noticed that room!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Peter, not much longer to wait now........We will be just ahead of you,so may be we will meet up along Way at some stage...........I wish you Buen Camino, have a great time.....Katie
Hi Katie , in 24 day's I get on my way . I go by train from Rotterdam . Arrive at 19.20 in Sjpdp . After this long day in the train I decited to book a bed in the albergue Orisson . Hope the Napoleon route is open .
Hope to meet you along the way , Buen Camino , Peter .

Good morning All,

I changed my plans to be another day in Santiago.

Will arrive 16 May and leave 18 May.

See you there!

Buen Camino,
Johan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking forward to having some quiet time here in late May 2015. See you there

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thankyou Laurie and Ivar
Together with the 'Camino Places' app., this will be great way to connect with forum members and new friends also.
If any of our forum friends are in Sdc ., (unless they don't want to be found), there is a great chance of finding them around 7pm at Café Tertulia ! Or on the Camino places app.

Good morning All,

I changed my plans to be another day in Santiago.

Will arrive 16 May and leave 18 May.

See you there!

Buen Camino,
Johan

If my walking goes to plan, may see you there Johan.

Annie

Good idea, I don't have a firm walking plan but I will visit some time in the last week of May.

What a great idea! I know I'm not so active and doesn't talk too much online, English is not my native language, but I read a lot and feel like I'm part of this family. Will be happy to meet other forum members!

I will be in Santiago on April 13th and 14th. I will try to visit this establishment and say "hello". I will be with a group, so there is a possibility that I will have other obligations, but I would love to try to stop by at least for a few minutes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a great idea! I know I'm not so active and doesn't talk too much online, English is not my native language, but I read a lot and feel like I'm part of this family. Will be happy to meet other forum members!

Your English is good so try not to worry too much about it.
Buen Camino

Totally agree with JohnMcM. We are, I think, a very open ecumenical group and as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier at the Cafe Tertulia. I have to admit to more than a bit of self-interest here -- as someone who walks untraveled Caminos, I frequently arrive alone in Santiago and it would be oh so nice to connect up with others who are also just finishing their camino. Come one and all, bring your friends! Buen camino, Laurie

Simply wonderful this idea/intention.
Shall be there in spirit and heart - con spirito e cuore -- Looking forward to posted photos (and name ID's :) to see the weary, grate& and cheerful crowd/s...
well done!!

Simply wonderful this idea/intention.
Shall be there in spirit and heart - con spirito e cuore -- Looking forward to posted photos (and name ID's :) to see the weary, grate& and cheerful crowd/s...
well done!!
No Camino this year???

B.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No Camino this year???

B.
alas ... not in the physical vehicle this year.
have to replenish my funds now that i've found some reallyyyy good employment...(and being more of a free-lance temperament, getting used to proper office hours if QUITE an adjustment... it's getting better though :)
but of course i am plotting the next camino - starting with an intention, which usually leads me to the actual experience. eventually. even if it might take a few years. the route from switzerland comes to mind/heart... or VdP. we shall see ... - sooo many pilgrimages that appeal.

how 'bout yourself? lacing up the boots/shoes already?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First of all I would like to say thanks to God to come on this forum and admin to join me to this and I am very glad to be a part of it.
Because its very simple , easy to navigate and very informative posts from other members.

Thank you for all

Suggestion - Would it be a good idea for those with firm dates to put them on the Camino Calendar?

€60,-
How far is this Cafe from the Last Stamp?

I am planning on arriving Saturday 16 May (Maybe a bad time?) and leaving for Porto Monday 18 May.

Since there have been a few questions about the location of the café, I thought I would try to use my "screen shot" instructions to keep the steps fresh in my mind. Here is a detailed walking map that shows the route from the cathedral. It´s very close, but not in a direction many pilgrims wander, unless they are walking to Finisterre (the café is right on the route to Finisterre). Hope to be in the café on July 14 or thereabouts.

Screenshot 2015-03-25 08.48.23.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know I'll forget by the time I plan to arrive in Santiago in a few months. Might a poster or something be put up somewhere at the Pilgrim Office to remind me of the meet up when I finally get to Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After @peregrina2000 kick-started this idea a while back, let's try to organize a place and time for forum members that have arrived in Santiago and are looking to meet up with other forum members.

When?

Where?
View attachment 17200

View attachment 17202

This is located about 300 meters from the Cathedral on the way out to Finisterre (down the street that starts just outside the Parador door).

View attachment 17201
I left a small table-stand with a forum badge on it that the first person that arrives can take from the counter and put it on his/her table. This way we an recognize "who is from the forum". I also left a small notebook with a forum badge as well. I wrote a small welcome message on the first page, please feel free to write something yourselves. :)

Thank you John Henry for cooperating with us on this project! I am sure that he will take good care of us!
View attachment 17203
Hi Ivar - Great idea - I will be there either 19 / 20 May - how exciting not knowing who you'll meet and share a drink.
Good luck to all those preparing their Camino - Buen Camino, may the wind be light and behind you and the sun shine on your journey.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hope we can se you guys arounSeptember

When?

Where?
View attachment 17200

View attachment 17202

View attachment 17201

View attachment 17203

Hope we can stop by around September 17. God's will.

God willing, I'll be in Santiago the first week in November via VDLP.

Thank you Ivar for the Forum meeting.

Should arrive in Santiago on the 26th May and will stay till eveing 29th. Will make it a point to meet you at Cafe' Tertulia.

See you there.

Ray

Thank you Ivar for the Forum meeting.

Should arrive in Santiago on the 26th May and will stay till eveing 29th. Will make it a point to meet you at Cafe' Tertulia.

See you there.

Ray
Great response to this!

Just to clarify, i am not sure I can be there every day at 7pm all year around.. :) I will stop by once in a while.

Buen camino!
Ivar

So, I'm wondering whether we should try to broaden the circle a bit to invite APOC, CSJ, and other English speaking confraternities (I realize many forum members are also members of those groups, but we haven't extended any "invitations.") Or do people think that the forum has enough members to sustain something like this? I know it's early in the season still, but so far no meet-ups!

€83,-
I would suggest including all English speaking confraternities/associations in an open invitation. Perhaps the pilgrims who are not already aware of the forum will become members and add to the knowledge base.
Hola William - hope you and Ivar agree - I posted a link to this page on the Australia/New Zealand page. Hopefully it will spread the news. Cheers

€83,-
I'm here together with my friend from Holland, we met last year on the CP. We finished the Camino Ingles and tomorrow we are off to Finisterre. It is a very nice meeting point, sorry you are not here.

@peregrina2000 and others: Sorry, lo siento and desculpe, I walked into town late on the 24th (after a 31 km walk, exhausted) and the night after we found a lost amigo and went to dinner with him before leaving early the next day. Our honeymoon was three weeks long but we spent the last week in the Algarve! I will definitely stop by next time though but this time I ended up eating all the seafood in Galicia instead ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, I'm wondering whether we should try to broaden the circle a bit to invite APOC, CSJ, and other English speaking confraternities (I realize many forum members are also members of those groups, but we haven't extended any "invitations.") Or do people think that the forum has enough members to sustain something like this? I know it's early in the season still, but so far no meet-ups!
Personally wouldn't vote for that!
If I really do want to meet people from other forums, Confraternities etc. then I would join them... but I didn't!
I guess I can (if I want) meet them all across on all of the Caminos, in Santiago de Compostela, at Plaza do Obradoiro, in Cathedral or in Pilgrim Office. Therefore I'm pretty much sure I won't ever go to Tertulia if it will become meeting place for "all".

Thanks for spreading the love though ;)

Last edited:
Meet, yes but photographs maybe not. We prefer to keep ourselves mainly off the internet photowise, although we have been happy for some to be posted after being asked. Too many sites are snooping round the tags etc. So if posting photos maybe keep identities out of them (please)

As I introduce another Kiwi to the Camino, its great to have meeting place for forum members will be there in 3rd week in September , look forward to meeting up with some of you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be there around the beginning of July. We will definitely drop in!! I would love to physically meet some other Forum members.

Sue

Based on the response here, I am going to contact John Henry to see if He wants a business partner ^^.

Ultreya,
Joe

So excited. I am walking the Portuguese way will be in Santiago 3rd, 4th, 5th, August 2015. Will definitely go there either 4th or 5th..

What a brilliant idea! Thanks for this.
All being well, 8th of June should see me there for cafe con leche.
Buen Camino
Could well see you on the 8th John, if things go according to plan you will know what i mean! It would be great if it did happen !:)

Personally wouldn't vote for that!
If I really do want to meet people from other forums, Confraternities etc. then I would join them... but I didn't!
I guess I can (if I want) meet them all across on all of the Caminos, in Santiago de Compostela, at Plaza do Obradoiro, in Cathedral or in Pilgrim Office. Therefore I'm pretty much sure I won't ever go to Tertulia if it will become meeting place for "all".

Thanks for spreading the love though ;)
Well, I haven't said anything to APOC. Happy to leave it "entre nous" for now, but let's see if anyone ever shows up in the cafe!

€83,-
Anyone in Santiago 0n 16/17/18 May 2015?

I will be in Santiago end of May! Hope to meet some of you there!

Sweet! Ivar, maybe we could have a special section at the top of the forum specifically for pilgrims to post their words and pictures for the meetups? Also a separate RSS feed would be nice too if it is not too difficult to do? :)

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back