• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daily laundry perplexes me

caminojune2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning June 2017
Out of simple curiosity, why does everyone seem to do their laundry daily? As a mountain backpacker who sometimes goes 3 plus days without washing, I find some clothes (especially pants/shorts) can be worn for multiple days without odor.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this not important, but perplexing issue!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
People are more concerned about smelling bad due to the often cramped sleeping arrangements on caminos. Therefore everyone will shower on arrival (thank goodness). Also Spanish people are smart and well groomed, so there is a certain shame in walking about in the many towns and villages looking or smelling like a bum. I wear nice things and wash trousers every other day and wear a clean top every day. Some ladies even carry a simple dress for dinner or mass. My mom recently watched the Alex Polizzi documentary about Galicia and she couldn't believe how clean and smart the pilgrims all looked. I think she had imagined everyone looks like St Jerome and St Paula just back from the desert.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Merino wool shirts are odour- and stain-resistant and don't require washing as frequently as synthetic fabrics. Daily showers are recommended, but not everyone washes clothes every day!
This is true about merino, however if I have arrived and showered whilst there is still good drying time , I will wash my shirt too. Nice to know you've got fresh back up -
I would always wash my undies and socks (socks may be harder to dry if its still raining, but if not dry by morning , you pin them to outside of backpack or inside bag if still raining /( to re-hang out when you arrive at next Albergue)
Trousers don't always need washing daily though in my opinion.
I guess young people don't develop as much body odour though., whereas some poor unfortunate people smell even after they've just showered. Everyone is different .

Buen camino
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Out of simple curiosity, why does everyone seem to do their laundry daily? As a mountain backpacker who sometimes goes 3 plus days without washing, I find some clothes (especially pants/shorts) can be worn for multiple days without odor.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this not important, but perplexing issue!
Having raised three boys, this Nana is gonna take you to task.
Wash your clothes!
You may not smell that odor but we do. You have gotten used to that smell, it's manly and homey and testoster-oni to you.
It's not to us. You are working hard, walking and carrying your backpack, so you are sweating and depending on what you ate the day before it's gonna smell, maybe not so much today but layer it on after a few days and I'd hate to be the pilgrim walking behind you or sleeping across from you.
It only takes a few minutes to rub a bar of soap over them, rinse them out, spin if they've got one, and hang them up.
That's as much time as checking Facebook or ordering a beer.
If you don't want to wash them, pay for the hospitalio to do it in a machine.
Ok. That's my Nana speech.
Oh, and eat your vegetables.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Having raised three boys, this Nana is gonna take you to task.
Wash your clothes!
You may not smell that odor but we do. You have gotten used to that smell, it's manly and homey and testoster-oni to you.
It's not to us. You are working hard, walking and carrying your backpack, so you are sweating and depending on what you ate the day before it's gonna smell, maybe not so much today but layer it on after a few days and I'd hate to be the pilgrim walking behind you or sleeping across from you.
It only takes a few minutes to rub a bar of soap over them, rinse them out, spin if they've got one, and hang them up.
That's as much time as checking Facebook or ordering a beer.
If you don't want to wash them, pay for the hospitalio to do it in a machine.
Ok. That's my Nana speech.
Oh, and eat your vegetables.

Wonderful reply Coleen. As always You make me smile

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To return to the original question; why do people do their laundry daily ?
A perplexing issue indeed, and some of the replies are even more perplexing to me.
It could be an idea to actually read what the OP initially wrote and asked, instead of lecturing her what to do.
It seems to me there a nicer ways to welcome new forum members.

Like the OP, I do not see the need to wash some clothes (like pants) daily - and as I do not actually sleep in my walking pants, I do not see how this could possibly bother others. As I carry several sets of underwear and socks (and do prefer some more cleanliness in this department) this also give me no pressing need for daily laundry. And gives it me time
to happily order an extra beer.

It seems to me that people do their laundry daily because:
- they only bring one set of clothes
- they feel the need to (whilst giving up their daily life routines) develop a new camino routine
- they enjoy the act of doing laundry

It's all fine to me. As long as I don't have to do the same

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It only takes minutes to wash undies, socks and T-shirt. Washbasins and water are freely available as are hanging lines. Why would we not wash our clothes in those conditions? I would hate to wear again a shirt in which I sweated all day. Of course I would do it if I had to, ie walking in the wilderness with none of those facilities available, it would not kill me!
But on the Camino? Different kettle of fish!
It'll all make sense once you start walking ;)
Buen camino
PS: I walk in a hiking skirt and it's the only item that doesn't get washed daily, same for the fleece.

Oh, I still cringe when I remember how bad I smelled on my Norte walk when it was in the 30s in September. I had no idea humans could sweat out so much stuff out of their bodies that clothing could stink so much. Whew! :eek:

There was no way I was allowing that stench into my backpack with my sleeping liner and otherwise clean gear.

I will try to be eloquent as well as informing, maybe entertaining.

On such a long walk, carrying the least possible is just good sense. When minimizing on clothing, there is one fresh pair of things ready to put on and the other is what is being worn. It may be possible to go a day or two without washing clothes but once they are stinky, it is wash time.

Further, wearing freshly washed clothes simply provides a lift of spirit. And if that helps me feel better, it is always my hope that it reflects in how I interact with others. Washing laundry once a day is no problem when you have walks 30,000 steps or more in that same day. It can become meditative.

Finally, there are several compliments that women love to hear, as often as possible;

1) She looks geat!

2) I love talking with her!

3) She smells wonderful!

1) is usually first, followed by 3) and then hopefully 2).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also, today may be an excellent day for drying: Sunny, warm and maybe a bit of a breeze. Tomorrow, it might be pissind down rain. So, literally do the laundry while the sun shines!

"Also, today may be an excellent day for drying: Sunny, warm and maybe a bit of a breeze. Tomorrow, it might be pissin down rain. So, literally do the laundry while the sun shines!"

That's one reason I hand wash some things daily (sock liners, boxers and one base layer shirt) or, if I have the opportunity, machine wash if and as the opportunity arises. Unless they got really muddy or really sweaty I go a few days before washing my pants. I wear sock liners - which I wash daily- so I usually don't worry too much about my merino wool socks until after a few days ( I bring three pairs of merino wool socks).

I seem to find torrential rains, sleet and snow, so washing/drying my clothes is welcome. As for ordering a beer, I don't feel deprived because of laundry, or for any other reason for that matter.

This pattern is, of course different than when I'm camping/backpacking. I will say I find a daily shower after a long, dusty/muddy day to be a lovely thing.

I always wash the clothes that have been right next to my skin after a days walking, one of the key reasons for this is to remove the small salt crystals that have formed in the clothes from sweat. As a built up of these crystals can cause skin irritations / blisters in the more sweaty areas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A sincere thank you to all who answered and I can truthfully say I took no offense. Well... other than the comment about my testosterone from Coleen. That one seriously made me laugh out loud but thanks to notion900 my gender was revealed! I promise to not be THAT stinky person as I am walking with my daughter who I'm sure will keep me in check. We will also eat our vegetables as she is a vegetarian and I pretend to be some days. Thanks again for the laughs and feedback! We are leaving in less than a week and look forward to joining your ranks of "been there... washed that".

It only takes minutes to wash undies, socks and T-shirt. Washbasins and water are freely available as are hanging lines. Why would we not wash our clothes in those conditions? I would hate to wear again a shirt in which I sweated all day. Of course I would do it if I had to, ie walking in the wilderness with none of those facilities available, it would not kill me!
But on the Camino? Different kettle of fish!
It'll all make sense once you start walking ;)
Buen camino
PS: I walk in a hiking skirt and it's the only item that doesn't get washed daily, same for the fleece.

Ah wilderness. When on the Appalachian Trail, a long distance trail in the Eastern USA, one can go over a week with no access to washing facilities. But here's the point: no one else you meet has that access either.
You all smell the same and after awhile don't notice the beige haze that hovers over everyone. You don't even notice that flowers wilt as you stroll by. The real clincher, though, is when you walk across a pasture and all the cows turn their backs on you and move away. I mean come on...cows?

On a town day, you look forward to real food, a bed and electric lights and stroll blithely into a room and every one in the room turns towards you in unison with watering eyes. You back out slowly, go somewhere and rectify the situation. The problem is when you leave town you and your clothes are pristine. You then go through the same descent of odour. Day one is: "I believe I've stepped in something. Day two is: No that's me and you don't linger near people. Day three is: I don't mind this smell too much. Day four is: I wonder where the smell went.

Being able to wash myself and my clothes daily was a real treat on the Camino. The electric lights weren't too bad either ;)

A perplexing issue indeed, and some of the replies are even more perplexing to me.
It could be an idea to actually read what the OP initially wrote and asked, instead of lecturing her what to do.

Like the OP, I do not see the need to wash some clothes (like pants) daily - and as I do
not actually sleep in my walking pants, I do not see how this could possibly bother others. As I carry several sets of underwear and
socks (and do prefer some more cleanliness in this department) this also give me no pressing need for daily laundry. And gives it me time

- they feel the need to (whilst giving up their daily life routines) develop a new camino routine

I love this post I was thinking the same thing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OzAnnie
Annie, As the grandfather of a sixteen year old boy with testosterone leaking from every pore of his body, I can assure you that young people can stink.
Buen Camino
I think everyone has covered the reason why many people do wash their clothes everyday, so I will not add more, except

GO TO BED NOW, EVERYONE

The Camino is not a wilderness trek. If you have the opportunity to shower and to wear clean clothes for the next day then of course you take it. Be crazy not to.
But then you have to carry those clothes. :p I do apologise to my fellow pilgrims, but a lighter pack means more over 20+ days than clean clothes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Ditto .. thankfully most of the technical clothing has built in odor fighters

This is just a tiny bit of a sidetone, but some lovely lady or testosterone-filled guy in here mentioned that they wanted to "smell great"---to that end....

I love it when I can't detect any odor on anyone. I want to smell the Eucalyptus trees, the Cedar trees, the slightly earthy pungent notes of grapes on the ground, the smell of cooking bread and croissants, the ripe tanginess of cow dung, and even the slightly moldy and cavernous church smells. I don't ever want to smell Infinity, Calvin Klein, Flower Bomb, etc. (no perfumes, please!). Even the scented laundry soaps are overwhelming.

In fact, this comment may make me the "odd man out" as it were, but I'd rather smell a two-day ripe pilgrim than a scented Downy-fresh laundered pilgrim wafting past me. I know...I'm just that girl.

But is anyone with me on this?

This is just a tiny bit of a sidetone, but some lovely lady or testosterone-filled guy in here mentioned that they wanted to "smell great"---to that end....

I love it when I can't detect any odor on anyone. I want to smell the Eucalyptus trees, the Cedar trees, the slightly earthy pungent notes of grapes on the ground, the smell of cooking bread and croissants, the ripe tanginess of cow dung, and even the slightly moldy and cavernous church smells. I don't ever want to smell Infinity, Calvin Klein, Flower Bomb, etc. (no perfumes, please!). Even the scented laundry soaps are overwhelming.

In fact, this comment may make me the "odd man out" as it were, but I'd rather smell a two-day ripe pilgrim than a scented Downy-fresh laundered pilgrim wafting past me. I know...I'm just that girl.

I'm with you...And don't forget..the rain . Sometimes it smells so good!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Agreed!!!!

My first Camino I washed every day...
My second not so much because I discovered wool and a Macabi skirt
My third walking with five kids and all of their laundry I won't dare admit how little I washed clothes ...:)

My first Camino I washed every day...
My second not so much because I discovered wool and a Macabi skirt
My third walking with five kids and all of their laundry I won't dare admit how little I washed clothes ...:)
You smelled fine Neve on the occasions we met last September. Ps. The kids did too .
Annie

I agree with all the 'please wash' comments and also with the 'please no perfume' ones, and hereby sing the praises (yet again) of the humble and highly effective crystal deodorant stick: It's not a liquid, so great to travel with. It's not scented, so offends nobody. It stops sweat stinking without stopping the sweat, which makes it body friendly. It has no nasty chemicals, which is good for all. Just wet it and smooth over clean skin after the shower, and it leaves a thin film of mineral salts which stop odours from forming. Cheap, simple, small, and it works!

Mine has citronella in it, not that I can smell it at all. Most don't, like this travel sized one.

Thank you Debrita. Thank you.
I have spent Hours reading cologne bottles, perfume sprayers, and boxed eau de toilette sets, searching for instructions.
Not one says the word "marinate".
Or "steep", "soak", "souse", or "immerse".
When a flowery cloud follows you thru the forest like Cinderella and her magic animals, you're wearing too much.
If you see Cinderella and her magic animals in the forest, you've inhaled too much. Seek medical aide.

Not one says the word "marinate".
Or "steep", "soak", "souse", or "immerse".
When a flowery cloud follows you thru the forest like Cinderella and her magic animals, you're wearing too much.
Ah, but "sillage", as the wake a perfume leaves behind is a desired trait of a good perfume. Unless its a cheapy perfume bought at the Duty Free (my appologies to DutyFree founder and hreat philanthorpist Chuck Feeny) or worn by a teenager. :p

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Love the clean smelling and the not overpowering people. Not so much the ok i will just have to take a step back (or two) walkers. Had a chuckle when we were walking into SDC and passed by a group - way to clean smelling and not a bp in site (had a little chuckle) and dont get me going on the smoking.

When everything is wet and there is nowhere to dry stuff, I've found I can dry a small amount of clothes with my body heat. I put the clothes in the bottom of my sleeping bag, open the zipper from the bottom just a little bit, and go to sleep, happy that my extra-large sleeping bag is much longer than me so I don't actually have to put my (freshly showered!) feet on top of my wet t-shirt...

I have also used my supply of safety pins to GENTLY fasten clothes to the inside of curtains, and my clothes line has been strung across many an albergue or hotel room...

Smells of my grannie's in Mexico
When I get to Spain, first night, I press my nose in the pillowcase and have a big sniff, and feel all happy. It's a completely different smell from the products in the UK, more old fashioned somehow. I am glad someone else gets it.

We saved it all for when we went to Malaga and bought a few hundreds dollars worth of colognes and perfumes for the flight home....lol Much cheaper in Spain btw :D

The Camino is not a wilderness trek. If you have the opportunity to shower and to wear clean clothes for the next day then of course you take it. Be crazy not to.
Makes sense a clean bunny is a happy bunny
Love the clean smelling and the not overpowering people. Not so much the ok i will just have to take a step back (or two) walkers. Had a chuckle when we were walking into SDC and passed by a group - way to clean smelling and not a bp in site (had a little chuckle) and dont get me going on the smoking.
A clean bunny is a happy bunny

Like the OP, I do not see the need to wash some clothes (like pants) daily - and as I do not actually sleep in my walking pants, I do not see how this could possibly bother others. As I carry several sets of underwear and socks (and do prefer some more cleanliness in this department) this also give me no pressing need for daily laundry. And gives it me time

I wash my clothes every time I got the chance to do so. Sometimes you encounter rain and no way to dry them. Besides I didn't like carrying dirty underwear around with me. I had 4 pairs of socks and those got changed 2 x a day. This kept me blisters Free. So I washed my dirty socks every day. I just did it while in the shower it's hardly any work and my companion appreciated this very much.

I am also a long distance hiker and have been glad for a shower when we reach a town every 5 or more days. The Camino is different but it is also what ever you want it to be.
If you shirt smells wash it on what ever day it is. I find that using a machine when I get a chance keep the clothes fresh longer.

I washed my clothes daily. My main reason was that I would wear my next day's clothes to bed. I did not pack PJs and slept in the clothes I would wear the next day. I prefer not to sleep in clothes that were worn during the day, and sleeping in my birthday suit would not be suitable for a dormitory arrangement. If I was in a tent on my own or with my significant other or yet again in a hotel room, then "au naturel" would be just fine and daily laundry would not be as necessary.

I see no 'value' to anyone of walking, sitting and sleeping next to others and smelling like a charnel house.

In the main, I wash my clothes for my sake and the fact that it stops others from being offended by my odour is a bonus.

I wear my next walking days clothes to bed if I'm in a dormitory. Makes it easier to not disturb others (no 'getting dressed' noises), speeds up my leaving as I shower the at night before sleeping (wet feet can contribute to blisters as the hard skin on the soles of your feet is softened by water).

Wear a new clean pair of socks every day and have two pairs only so wash socks and underwear daily (only two pairs of underpants as well). If they aren't dry by the morning I pin them to the back of my day pack - I have my main pack carried forward every day.

I have two pairs of thick/tough shorts (worn on hot or wet days) and one pair of long trousers (cool evenings), 2 short-sleeved t-shirts, one very thin shirt with long sleeves for sunny days to protect my arms and as you can imagine this gets washed every day I use it as does either of the t-shirts if they have been worn. I also have a very light raincoat which never gets washed as the rain does that for me and a wind-cheater (hoodie) for cool nights which gets washed when I think it needs it which isn't often as I wear it for short periods of no more than a few hours.

Merino wool shirts are odour- and stain-resistant and don't require washing as frequently as synthetic fabrics. Daily showers are recommended, but not everyone washes clothes every day!
And that exactly is the problem: people don't feel their own smell and leave the stinky clothes in shared bedroom for others to "enjoy " for the whole night. Even without such a gift the air is heavy simply because so many are breathing it.

I washed my clothes daily. My main reason was that I would wear my next day's clothes to bed. I did not pack PJs and slept in the clothes I would wear the next day. I prefer not to sleep in clothes that were worn during the day, and sleeping in my birthday suit would not be suitable for a dormitory arrangement. If I was in a tent on my own or with my significant other or yet again in a hotel room, then "au naturel" would be just fine and daily laundry would not be as necessary.
There is a saying that goes "we don't care what you do as long as you don't frighten the horses" There is a strict policy that only birthday suits can be worn on your actual birthday. You must bring a copy of your Birth cert and a letter from your mother :p:p:p:p:p

I washed my clothes when convenient esp. when there was a washing machine. Having said that, I would rather smell body odor than stale cigarette smoke and trust me, people coming in from their last cigarette and beer and going straight to their bed smelled far worse, to me, than any body odor.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I washed my clothes when convenient esp. when there was a washing machine. Having said that, I would rather smell body odor than stale cigarette smoke and trust me, people coming in from their last cigarette and beer and going straight to their bed smelled far worse, to me, than any body odor.

Oh yes one of my pet peeves !

and here the odors of stale beer and cigarette smoke makes me feel vaguely home sick.

Even if you shower every day, use deodorant, do your laundry every day when you go out and join the Paseo you'll see an abuelo in pressed slacks, clean shirt and cardigan, freshly shaved and smelling lightly of cologne and feel such a SKANK . . .
Still worth the effort though ;)

I have Merino, synthetic, and synthetic/cotton for hiking and backpacking here in Northern California. I wear Merino on multi-day backpacks, and synthetics on day hikes, but I don't see the point of Merino clothing for the El Camino or any situation when it is possible to wash clothes dally. Synthetic or synthetic/cotton is cheaper, drys faster, and is more durable than Merino.

Synthetics are easy to wash in cold water with a bar of Fels-Naptha laundry soap which is available in the States, don't know about anywhere else. Just rub the soap on the stinky sweaty parts, knead a bit like a loaf of bread, rinse and hang up. I've tried it at home and it is hard to tell the difference between hand and machine washing at least on on my hiking clothing. If you are worried about wrinkling, find synthetics with a small percentage of spandex which doesn't wrinkle as much.

However, I wear Merino hiking socks all the time and they usually don't dry overnight, so put damp socks in a mesh pocket on your pack and they will dry by the end of the day unless it's raining.

I couldn't imagine doing the El Camino without washing my clothing every day, especially when the Alberges provide those washing sinks I see in the youtubes. I don't want to be an ugly AND stinky American on the El Camino as I figure I'm going to have enough problems explaining fearless leader.

I don't ever want to smell Infinity, Calvin Klein, Flower Bomb, etc. (no perfumes, please!). Even the scented laundry soaps are overwhelming.

Yes, I am with you on this. Read Marilee Nelson's blog post "Fragrance is the New Secondhand Smoke: Eliminate Synthetic Fragrance to Improve Your Health" https://branchbasics.com/blog/2015/01/fragrance-is-the-new-secondhand-smoke/

Attachments

• fragrancenewsmoke.jpg
    fragrancenewsmoke.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi trecile,
Yes I understand, merino is comfortable when wet for sure and clothing and shoes are such a personal preference. What works for one person might not work for the next person.

Since you are an from Oregon and have access to REI I just wanted to mention this shirt which is incredibly comfortable and soft and good looking also. At the Sacramento REI they call it their "butter shirt" because it is so soft and comfortable. I have three of them, green, blue and grey. After I wash them by hand, hang them up, and they are dry, they have absolutely no wrinkles at all-it's amazing. They only problem I have with them is that I find them a little warm above 80F, but other than that I love them

Unfortunately it is a man's shirt and I don't know if it would work for women or if there is a female version.
https://www.rei.com/product/887279/rei-co-op-quarter-zip-tech-shirt-mens

Hi trecile,
Yes I understand, merino is comfortable when wet for sure and clothing and shoes are such a personal preference. What works for one person might not work for the next person.

Since you are an from Oregon and have access to REI I just wanted to mention this shirt which is incredibly comfortable and soft and good looking also. At the Sacramento REI they call it their "butter shirt" because it is so soft and comfortable. I have three of them, green, blue and grey. After I wash them by hand, hang them up, and they are dry, they have absolutely no wrinkles at all-it's amazing. They only problem I have with them is that I find them a little warm above 80F, but other than that I love them

Unfortunately it is a man's shirt and I don't know if it would work for women or if there is a female version.
https://www.rei.com/product/887279/rei-co-op-quarter-zip-tech-shirt-mens
Thanks for the suggestion.
I actually make my own merino wool dresses for walking in. :)

Oh, my b'day suit, suits me just fine. I go in bag clothed, come out clothed, the in-between is my business. I must wash both body and clothes daily or I will truly: frighten the horses.

But we all know that if you don't stink like a medieval pilgrim you're not a REAL pilgrim. :)
I had to wait behind a pilgrim at a store today who was definitely the real item. Whew! Good thing he ate at the outdoor table!
-----
Newf, crossing into the route in Aumont Aubrac

Yes, I am with you on this. Read Marilee Nelson's blog post "Fragrance is the New Secondhand Smoke: Eliminate Synthetic Fragrance to Improve Your Health" https://branchbasics.com/blog/2015/01/fragrance-is-the-new-secondhand-smoke/
Also, most fragranced laundry detergents and fabric softeners contain xenoestrogens and are particularly dangerous because residues on clothing, towels, and other items are worn against the skin. See https://hubpages.com/health/Reducing-Exposure-to-Xenoestrogens and www.balancedconcepts.net/tips_avoid_xenoestrogens.pdf

I had to wait behind a pilgrim at a store today who was definitely the real item. Whew! Good thing he ate at the outdoor table!
-----
Newf, crossing into the route in Aumont Aubrac

We actually shared a table with that very pilgrim! (indoors, , in Grañon) :eek:;) Oh my!

Buen Camino Newfy.

I wear a Macabi skirt.
Ugly but only needs to be washed about once every two weeks.
And I love the pockets.

I wear merino wool shirts.
Wash them about once a week.

The only thing I wash every night is underwear and socks and that's actually every TWO nights because I carry two of each..

I chose to shower and to do my laundry each day as I like clean body and clothes. Early in my Camino (April 2016) I wondered why the shawers were vaguely luke warm only. Then I realised that pilgrims who had showered before me had also washed their clothes in the shower - hence no hot water. If you are going to wash your clothes, do so in the laundry area that every albergue has and not in the shower.

There are endless choices of fast drying clothing. Motto if you can't wash your clothes in a sink, don't bring them. Use layering of clothing to keep warm. For males buy pants or short with built in underwear. We never used sleeping bags. Two liners, one bug repellent one a little heavier. Buen Camino Stuart

We usually washed our undies and liner socks daily. Shirts alternate days, unless they needed it daily. Carrying extras means more weight. Also if washing more than the 'one of each item' then you can be depriving others of drying space, whether on a line or in a dryer. We did take advantage of the occasional washer, but the wash needed 3 turns through the dryer to get it packable! There are some laundries (not dry cleaners) who washed our trousers and some hotels have a laundry service, but that is usually expensive. The good old soap bar at the sink is still best.
As a lady, if it has been hot and sweaty, I often wash the crutch of my trousers (carefully so as not to wet the pockets or zip), dab dry on my towel and then stuff them with a plastic bag overnight; sat folded then on top of my pack 'bottoms up'. Always dry for next day and no sweaty smell :).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can't beat the old Sunlight soap it would shift a mountain don't mind a stain

As a child of the sixties, I took Patchouli oil on my Camino. It makes a great substitute for deoderant.....light, tiny, concentrated and can be applied during the day if you can smell your own sweat.

As for washing some clothing items daily,.....for me it sometimes acted as an icebreaker....you know, washing ones undies elbow to elbow with fellow pilgrims. :)

Annie, we think of you often!!!! One of my favorite pics was taken when you walked by us one morning and we had slept beside a church outside. Big hugs to you! Meeting you, finally, was one of my Camino higlights!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.