• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daily Time Schedule?

dnldjackson22

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, July 6th 2022
Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, and I’ll be going on the Camino Francés (my first Camino) on July 6th. I haven’t really been able to find any good recommendations online so far for a daily time schedule. I’m sure that everyone has their own preferences and pace, but generally speaking, what is a good time for the following?

• Waking up
• Starting to walk for the day
• Stopping to eat
• Completing the day’s walk/checking into an albergue

I would imagine that you start and finish rather early in the day to ensure a bed and have time for dinner and socializing, but I’m happy to hear all opinions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wake up when the first person in the dormitory switches on their headlight and starts noisily packing their gear.
Start walking once you’ve given up on sleeping and packed your own gear.
Stop to eat at the first opportunity you encounter, the next one might be further than you hope.
Check in to your Albergue when they’ll let you.

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum, and I’ll be going on the Camino Francés (my first Camino) on July 6th. I haven’t really been able to find any good recommendations online so far for a daily time schedule. I’m sure that everyone has their own preferences and pace, but generally speaking, what is a good time for the following?

• Waking up
• Stopping to eat

I would imagine that you start and finish rather early in the day to ensure a bed and have time for dinner and socializing, but I’m happy to hear all opinions.
There isnt any set/correct schedule, each person walks their own schedule, but my 2 cents worth:

If you stay in albergues you will normally have to be gone by 8, as they have to clean and get ready for the next batch of pilgrims.
July will be warm. If like me, you do not cope that well with the heat, then its a fine balance between what time to leave to walk as much as possible before the day heats up. I like to be finished walking by 2pm, so I work out my pace for my destination that day, and start accordingly. I take a headtorch for when its dark. In July it will be light quite early.

I like to arrive somewhere, shower, wash clothes, explore the place, eat/chat and sleep - in pretty much that order. Washing clothes earlier means they have more time to get dry.

Eating - I always leave the albergue (in my opinion the albergue breakfast is never worth waiting for) and have coffee and breakfast in the first village/town I come to. Often I have a second breakfast /snack around 11/12. Then I eat my main meal around 4-6. Timing depends on when places open. The Spanish eat theirs much much later, but when you have to get up and walk, that timing isnt pilgrim friendly.
I don't like a big meal whilst I'm walking and prefer to eat after I've arrived, and my washing is on the line. Some people do have a big meal in the middle of the day. Personal choice.

There isnt a right/wrong way to walk the Camino, you will quickly work out what works for you.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

• Waking up
• Stopping to eat

Hello and welcome!
Waking up: If you sleep in albergues, you’ll wake up when the others start rustling plastig bags 😁 If sleeping in private room, just work out how many kms you want to walk that day and at what time you want to arrive…
Starting to walk: Well, if it’s hot in July, better to start early-ish? It really is up to you! And how far you are walking that day…
Stopping to eat: when you’re hungry! My rule of thumb on the Camino is, when I see a café, stop! You never know when the next one will be 😉 And it would be rude not to! 😉
Finishing: well obviously, that’s up to you as well!

A good rule to live by is: Never walk past an open bar on Camino, unless the last one was less than an hour ago. Stop in, change the fluids, stretch out, nibble on something, suit up, pay up, and carry on.

My schedule:
Up at 5:30.
Out walking no later than 6:30.
Find coffee at first possible place. Eat my last night's dessert of fruit or yogurt if I don't find anything early.
Stop walking at 10-12 miles.
Buy a cold beer.
Shop at store for lunch and maybe supper.
Check in at albergue, shower, wash clothes, take nap.
If I am up to it, write in journal, email home, explore town, talk to others, watch people, go to church if available, eat supper with others (either prepared together or as a community meal), help wash up, community spiritual time if available, sleeping before 10 pm.

Husband's timeline:
Sleep through the noise of others until 7 am.
Poke around as long as possible. Leave albergue at 8 am.
Talk to everyone he meets. Stop when he feels like it. Takes variants. Looks closely at plants and birds. Adjusts shoes and socks often.
Arrives in town. Drinks a beer. Checks into albergue. Showers, washes clothes, takes a nap.
Talks to everyone he meets at albergue using Google translate if needed. Walks around town, goes to church if available.
Fixes or eats supper with others. Helps wash up. Attends evening spiritual time. Goes to bed by 10 pm.

We are on a different timeline, but same routes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

• Waking up
• Stopping to eat

I'm not making light of your serious question, but would respond in this way.

1. Waking up? When you wake. That might be due to external influences though as others around you waken.
  2. Starting to walk for the day. When you feel ready.
  3. Stopping to eat. When you feel hungry, or see something tasty along the way.
  4. Completing the day’s walk/checking into an albergue. When you feel you have walked enough for the day.
Try not to let others schedules dictate your own too much. And everyone has preferences.

So for me as an example.

Waking Up? (I tend to use private rooms) Depends what I'm doing that day. A rest day, I'll wake when I wake. If it's a long day I might get up early, say 6:30 am. If it's a regular day maybe 7 or 7:30 am. A short day, maybe 8 am.

Starting to walk? Again, depends on the distance and terrain that day and also if there is food at my lodging or close by. Could be anywhere from 7 am to 9 am really.

Stopping to eat? Totally depends on what I pass through the day. I'll generally walk for a brisk couple of hours though before thinking about 'second breakfast' or even coffee. Unless none was available at my lodging or close by, in which case I'll stop at the first place I see. Then depending on the length of the day, I might eat a snack I carry, or stop for a lunch somewhere. I'll always have 'something' to snack on in my pack just in case though.

Completing the days walk? That could be anything from midday to 7 pm for me. Depends on how I feel or what distance I planned to walk that day. If I have booked ahead or not. But I think if not booking and staying in shared accommodation, the general advice might be to stop by 2 pm? Just to make sure you get a bed. (others will advise)

You'll find a routine or schedule that works best for you don't worry. :)

Husband's timeline:
Talk to everyone he meets. Stop when he feels like it. Takes variants. Looks closely at plants and birds. Adjusts shoes and socks often.
Arrives in town. Drinks a beer. Checks into albergue. Showers, washes clothes, takes a nap.
Talks to everyone he meets at albergue using Google translate if needed. Walks around town, goes to church if available.
Fixes or eats supper with others. Helps wash up. Attends evening spiritual time. Goes to bed by 10 pm.

I can totally relate to this :)

Though for dinner/supper I might be at a bar eating tapas...... :rolleyes:

My schedule:
Up at 5:30.
Out walking no later than 6:30.
Find coffee at first possible place. Eat my last night's dessert of fruit or yogurt if I don't find anything early.
Stop walking at 10-12 miles.
Buy a cold beer.
Shop at store for lunch and maybe supper.
Check in at albergue, shower, wash clothes, take nap.
If I am up to it, write in journal, email home, explore town, talk to others, watch people, go to church if available, eat supper with others (either prepared together or as a community meal), help wash up, community spiritual time if available, sleeping before 10 pm.

Husband's timeline:

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus 😁
Interestingly enough I see quite many couples walking separately because they are different which is what you have described

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Typically I walk in 2 hourish chunks. Wake up and eat a quick breakfast, walk 2 hours then stop for another coffee and aqua con gas, walk another 2 hours then stop for something more substantial, walk another 1-2 hours to the evening’s bed. That gets me another 15+ miles down the road. 2 hours seems to go by pretty quickly.

A good rule to live by is: Never walk past an open bar on Camino, unless the last one was less than an hour ago. Stop in, change the fluids, stretch out, nibble on something, suit up, pay up, and carry on.
My wife says I have alcoholic constipation - I can’t pass a bar.

(I’m here all week, try the chicken and don’t forget to tip the waitress)

Hi all,

• Waking up
• Stopping to eat

I never planned anything. There were days I awoke early and there were days I awoke to an empty albergue (How did I sleep through the morning rush?) Never planned where I'd stay, just looked at the guidebook around noon and picked a stop around 2 hours out. Never ate breakfast, rarely had dinner, but, I had a huge Spanish lunch like only the Spanish have. I did carry one of those very large chocolate bars in the pack, just in case. I never went hungry and never was without a bed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wake up when the first person in the dormitory switches on their headlight and starts noisily packing their gear.
Start walking once you’ve given up on sleeping and packed your own gear.
Stop to eat at the first opportunity you encounter, the next one might be further than you hope.
Check in to your Albergue when they’ll let you.
I
Hi all,

• Waking up
• Stopping to eat

I just finished the Primitivo and learned through one of my walking mates is to try and reach or destination by 2-3pm in order to be able to eat the Menu del Dia. Otherwise you'll miss the meal and have to wait until 8pm for dinner. I found that was a good standard to go by so we would see how many km we were going to complete the next day and start appropriately. I always like to start around 6-7am. I don't want to stereotype but in my group I was the only American everyone else except for my Brit friend were from Europe and didn't start walking until 9-10am. Don;t know if that was a cultural thing or not. Just an observation

I am on the Camino now and it is quite busy! You cannot “stop when you feel tired” or you may find yourself without a bed in that town. For myself, I send my bag on with Jacotrans or its associates. So the bag must be downstairs by 8.00 am. That is also when I have breakfast. In the evening I like to eat at 7.30 but it all depends when meals are served to pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What are you like at home? Do you getup early, or sleep-late?
We are early risers. By 8am I try to have walked for two hours….unless we are doing a short day.

We usually stay in a private room so we have more flexibility in departure time.
In July, I would consider the temperature and weather conditions, distance one is planning to walk, and your average hourly walking speed. as well as when you want to arrive? Also think about when you want to stop for your main meal
( lunch from around 2pm -4pm) or wait until much later, perhaps 8pm for dinner? These are the considerations I use to calculate my departure time.

Husband's timeline:
Your husband sounds fun! ;)

Don't over think this. You and your body will find a routine that suits you.

Your routine may change as your body becomes adjusted to walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I get up with the others in the albergue. Not a breakfast man, i walk past the breakfast bars, eating a Slim Jim if the previous dinner was vegetarian.
My original plan was to take it easy, 10 miles a day. Trouble is that gets you to 10 or 11 o'clock. Nothing opens for hours so you just sit on your pack. Boring. Best keep going

Sounds like you are building a rhythm, good to see.

I get up with the others in the albergue. Not a breakfast man, i walk past the breakfast bars, eating a Slim Jim if the previous dinner was vegetarian.
My original plan was to take it easy, 10 miles a day. Trouble is that gets you to 10 or 11 o'clock. Nothing opens for hours so you just sit on your pack. Boring. Best keep going
Wondering if you have gotten to play golf yet? Should help your golf walking game!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh yes, I played in Logroño and just today in Burgos. The courses here are in beautiful condition and the players so willing to pick up a single into their group.
Club Golf Riocerezo included a delicious dinner with green fees of 36€, a Russian salad and trout stuffed with ham. My new friends would not let me pay for drinks.

On the 18th, campo degolf..

Attachments

• 288895677_731693484799909_2650128009460626320_n.mp4
    1.5 MB
Oh yes, I played in Logroño and just today in Burgos. The courses here are in beautiful condition and the players so willing to pick up a single into their group.
Club Golf Riocerezo included a delicious dinner with green fees of 36€, a Russian salad and trout stuffed with ham. My new friends would not let me pay for drinks.
Are you renting your clubs or shipping them? Are you carrying balls, tees, gloves, shoes etc? Very interesting camino you are on haha

Are you renting your clubs or shipping them? Are you carrying balls, tees, gloves, shoes etc? Very interesting camino you are on haha
At Logrono I rented clubs, that plus green fees and a sleeve of balls was 98 euros, walking. I brought a glove, hat and tee with me.The course is very nice but crowded so you have to wait for a threesome. Taxi from town (recommended) is $20, and then $20 to the next town.
In Burgos Club Riocerezo I got there at 9:00 and there was no one working till 11:00. Luckily some members saw my plight and scrounged up a bag and some sticks. I caught up with a threesome and I ended up having a great time on a really nice course for $38 which included lunch. $20 taxi there and back.
Leon Golf was around $80 and was in bad condition, had almost no customers and long dry walks between holes. I played 9 by myself and then, down to two balls, quit.

At Logrono I rented clubs, that plus green fees and a sleeve of balls was 98 euros, walking. I brought a glove, hat and tee with me.The course is very nice but crowded so you have to wait for a threesome. Taxi from town (recommended) is $20, and then $20 to the next town.
In Burgos Club Riocerezo I got there at 9:00 and there was no one working till 11:00. Luckily some members saw my plight and scrounged up a bag and some sticks. I caught up with a threesome and I ended up having a great time on a really nice course for $38 which included lunch. $20 taxi there and back.
Leon Golf was around $80 and was in bad condition, had almost no customers and long dry walks between holes. I played 9 by myself and then, down to two balls, quit.
I never played during the camino but I have played in Wales, Ireland and Scotland. I played outside of Barcelona once. It was the course Seve grew up on. The clubhouse was an homage to the great Seve. The track was pretty weak. It was more like a glorified par 3. Saint Andrews it wasn't haha. (Never played there either) They made you rent a tiny 3 wheeler golf cart as I remember. I found it odd because everywhere in Ireland and Britain it was walking only. Carried my clubs too. That was about 25 years ago. Prices everywhere were really reasonable. There were some great courses I played. There was a muni in Wales that was about 8 pounds that was so interesting and challenging but fair that I will never forget although I have no remembrance of where it was.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tend to wake up and then immediaty.put my clothes on and pack my bedding. Rucksack packed I visit the ablutions and I am on my way. This is usually by 06:30.I am not awake and it is dark so I found out that it is best to check out the right direction the night before it looks different in the light. I tend to walk for a couple of hours spend 1/2 hour for breakfast and then walk until 14:00 and grab some more food or just a handful of nuts and fruit. I then walk until about 16:00 stop at a bar have a couple of beers and then walk 3 or 4 km to the next place with an albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back