• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dalie sets out again

Barbara

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Since 2000 French and Spanish, bikes and walking
Dalie has had enough munging about in a field for this year, so we are setting out from home to join the Vezelay route next week. I reckon to walk along the Gartempe to Bellac, then cross country to La Souterraine, using local footpaths up to La Souterraine. Then we will get as far as we can until I am needed at home :)
Does anyone know how donkey friendly the Vezelay route is? Along the river should be fine as far as Bellac, we will be camping as usual, and I have the Chassain guide to the historic route, which has good maps even if it seems a little light on details of accomodation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have no idea how donkey friendly the route is, but I want to say "Hooray!" because now we'll get more Donkey on the Camino stories!! I hope you & Dalie have a great trip & lots of wonderful adventures. :)

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How exciting to hear of someone else planning to do the Vezelay route. We will be setting off later in September, so following behind you on bicycles, and intending to camp quite a bit, so, if your stories are anything to go by, I'll expect to hear accounts of Dalie and yourself!

Are you walking cross country or travelling by car/horse box to Vezelay? How fast will you travel? will you still be travelling at the end of September? I doubt we will catch you up before our three weeks are up - we are not like the cyclists we met in Dinant last year who expected to be in Santiago in three weeks!

buen camino!

Barbara said:
I have the Chassain guide to the historic route, which has good maps even if it seems a little light on details of accomodation.

I woke up thinking about this! If you read through the details of the route (on the coloured sheets which go with the maps) there are details of all sorts of accommodation in every town and village you go through - including camp sites, pilgrim refuges privee and municipal, and people in a pilgrim hospitality system - as well as tourist information offices - all with phone numbers. So you should be able to do plenty of advance investigation about donkey-friendly possibilities.

M and Mme Chassain seem to have covered almost every detail a pilgrim could want to know!

Hi all!

Sil, thanks for those links. Bridget and Peter, you are right about the accomodation on the looseleaf sheets, it's just I am used to the Miam Miam Dodo, which says if places are horse friendly :) I found the looseleafs after I had posted and yes, there is a lot of stuff there.
As to my route, I am using the Vezelay route but not starting at Vezelay, which is well north and east of where I live, but joining the route at La Souterraine, part way along. So I am taking an oblique track on foot to join part way. I could of course use the Tours route, I actually live on the easterly variant of this that goes through Angouleme, but I like the idea of going my own way for a while, and starting from my font door, without repeating the part from Bordeaux which I have already used. I only have three weeks this year so probably won't see you. Still, who knows. I don't ever plan too much ahead, as I have a tent, and anyway, travelling with a donkey can lead to some interesting détours and throw schedules out of the window. Thanks to all, and no doubt Dalie will bray her messages to you. Did I ever tell you about Dalie and the flight of stairs up to the costal track?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, we only got to walk for a week, as after trying to let our house for ages finally someone is interested, so I have to shift furniture. We had a great time though, from near home (St Savin) to Le Dorat, including some very hot weather, a mega storm to end it, and camping in people's back gardens and fields. I will be off again towards the end of the month, so will keep you posted.
Now, Dalie and the flight of steps.....
On the Camino del Norte there is some lovely walking, and some horrible roads. This was a little different, a costal path with splendid views. Only snag, a staircase to get to it! Now I didn't actually realise such was the case, so set out in the morning as per usual, following the for once visible waymarking. Which after a bit pointed straight UP. Seventy five steps, a bit wider than a house staircase and a bit shallower in height. Usual sort of space to put the feet. No handrail, so I reconed if push came to shove we could escape to the side and struggle up through the trees. So, quick word to St James and I ask Dalie what she thinks to it. She takes a look and with a little persuasion (sugar lumps) makes a start. Does about ten steps and says "what about another sugar lump?"
Seems reasonable, so out comes the emergency donkey fuel bag and off we go again. Ten more steps and we meet some people coming down the steps. Dalie gets cuddled and admired, decides she wants to follow them down. Is dissuaded by forcible speech and yanks on headcollar. More sugar lumps.
Half way up she wants a rest. We escape to side and are nearly mown down by a mountain bike weaving through the close planted trees......

After a lot more of this sort of thing we reach the top. The next ten people we meet ask us how we got up there......

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back