A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

DANGER - Forest Fires - Coimbra and North

0 Euro Camino Bank Note
Camino(s) past & future
2017 - Camino Frances
2019 - Camino Portugues
My wife and I just arrived in Coimbra to learn that the route to Mealhada is closed because of forest fires. I understand an airplane is flying a banner emblazons with FOGO to alert pilgrims and travellers of the danger. You can visit this site www.fogos.pt to see a map of fire locations and level of danger.

If anyone has any further info, please share for the benefit of all.

We are inclined to stay an extra day in Coimbra and possibly re-think our journey north to Porto.

Be safe and Bom Caminho.

Michael

Isobeljc

Still walking
Camino(s) past & future
Frances “2017”
Aragones “2018”
Portuguese “2018”
Stay for a day or so. Coimbra is a great place. We had a day there last year before walking.

Take a tuk tuk for a city tour, great guide and very informative. Shared it with a Brazilian couple and halved the price. It saved the big walk up the hill to the University.
Had a fantastic Italian meal made my real Italians.
Would love to go back to explore more another time.

Camino(s) past & future
2017 - Camino Frances
2019 - Camino Portugues
Stay for a day or so. Coimbra is a great place. We had a day there last year before walking.

Take a tuk tuk for a city tour, great guide and very informative. Shared it with a Brazilian couple and halved the price. It saved the big walk up the hill to the University.
Had a fantastic Italian meal made my real Italians.
Would love to go back to explore more another time.
We took 2 extra days. It is a wonderful city and we had a guided tour of the university yesterday.

surya8

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues Central and Coastal 2017 & 2019; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia 2018
Yesterday I had a chat with a hospitaliero who works in a donativo albergue Casa Catolico in Branca, that is between Albergaria-a-Velha and Sao Joao da Madeira. He's confirmed that the fires are out and it's safe to walk. They only stopped receiving pilgrims for 1 day, then the normal activities resumed. The wind got down, so did the fires. Hope it helps in planning. Bom Caminho to everyone! :)

TheSparrow

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2019) Walked Tomar to Coimbra - Porto to Ponte Vedra - Spiritual Variant to Santiago
We decided to rest in Coimbra after 2 weeks of waking in +40c the. Take rail to Porto to continue. Besides, we have not found all the highway walking at all inspiring or enriching.
I "trained it "from Coimbra in the spring, its about 8 euro and one hour on the train, and you just can kind of reset your camino there I might suggest at the Cathedral in Porto.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%