• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dangerous exit for pilgrims on the way to Leon

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I can't seem to open this old post so I've opened a new one with the same heading:

5 February, 2010

The Government erects the gateway that will allow more pilgrims to cross the N-601 securely to access Leon. For the construction of this metal structure was used 110,000 kilos of steel and 425,000 euros have been invested

The deputy of the Government in Leon, Francisco Alvarez, came into service this morning the new footbridge that the Ministry of Public Works has built at kilometer 322.4 of the N-601 near the city of Leon, an infrastructure that enables that pilgrims that do the Camino de Santiago to cross this road, which has a significant flow of vehicles, with better security.
The Gateway of Alto del Portillo had been a high demand infrastructure for citizens, especially the pilgrims through the various associations of the Camino de Santiago. The action, performed by the company Navascues, Construction and SL Bridges, had a budget of 425,312 euros and an implementation period of 12 months, after which it will "ensure the safety" of citizens in one of those considered as "black spots" of the access road to Leon.
It is a gateway consisting of a metal gate structure of a single span, 32 meters span. The ends of the bridge connecting both sides with the Camino de Santiago through ramps built with the same structure adapting the structure to ground conditions.
The pillars consist of four profiles arranged in inverted pyramid for sustaining the landings and two batteries in a 'V' for support of the gateway itself, which will follow the Camino de Santiago with a width of 2.5 meters . 110 000 kilos of structural steel was used for the construction.
The walkway was built next to the hub of the town of Valdefresno, where the Ministry of Development launched in 2006 a round of 32 meters in diameter, whose implementation involved the investment of 1.2 billion euros and achieved relief intersection of the N-601 with Golpejas, which were recorded a score of accidents per year, one solution that distributes traffic road in five directions, to Cerro Alto, Arcahueja industrial area, and people Valdefresno Sobarriba, The Lomas and the N-601.
At the inauguration of this bridge was also the president of the Association of Friends of the Camino de Santiago 'Pulchra Leonine', Beatriz Gallego, one of the most demanded associations operation of this infrastructure, so welcomed that this book is "a reality", especially this year when it expects a significant increase of pilgrims on the roads of the Community. "It was a very dangerous black spot, so we are very pleased with is eliminated," he said.
Was not the only measure provided by the Ministry of Development on the Camino de Santiago in the province of Leon and that, as announced by the Government Sub Leon, will take place "more actions" on the stretch of the N-120 between Leon and the town of Astorga. "Projects are being drafted and there is a large budget to make small actions like these, but qualitatively very significant," he confirmed.
© Agencia de Noticias de Castilla y León, ICAL.All rights reserved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back