• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dangerous Pavement kerb

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear all,
I am currently walking on the Camino Frances having arrived in Burgos from The Ruta de La Lana starting Valencia.
This morning I was walking the last kilometres from Reliegos to Leon when I tripped on a protruding pavement kerb. Luckily I was not hurt badly except from some bruises. This was at Puente Villarente 13kms from Leon.
My fellow Pilgrims be aware of it at the entrance to the village once you crossed the bridge.
Thanks to some Spanish locals and a Korean pilgrim who helped me.
Buen Camino
Raymond Aquilina

Attachments

• 20230521_103119.PDF
    4.2 MB · Views: 627
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm glad to hear that you got off with only slight injuries. Hope the rest of your journey is safe and free from any more such incidents. No intention of minimising what happened to you but this could become an immensely long thread if we all start to list individually the trip hazards we encounter along the way.

I'm glad to hear that you got off with only slight injuries. Hope the rest of your journey is safe and free from any more such incidents. No intention of minimising what happened to you but this could become an immensely long thread if we all start to list individually the trip hazards we encounter along the way.
I tend to disagree...I am not sure if you opened the attachment. My intention is to warn others. Infact I am reporting this to the amigos del Camino. This kerb should be removed forcthe safety of other pilgrims.
Buen Camino
Ray

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I tend to disagree...I am not sure if you opened the attachment. My intention is to warn others. Infact I am reporting this to the amigos del Camino. This kerb should be removed forcthe safety of other pilgrims.
Buen Camino
Ray

You seem to be serious?
Really, you can't make the Camino faultless and without some daily hazards.
What next? No smells or noises?

The average pilgrim who started earlier on encountered lots worse surfaces.

Leave it to the locals or the towncouncil to do something about it. If they feel the need.

Last edited:
That looks like a perfectly normal, visible curb. Sorry you tripped over it and glad you weren't injured.

While we're on the topic of safety, could someone please sweep the bits of gravel of roads and paths? Loose bits of gravel tends to slide under shoes and cause a slipping/falling hazard. :D

Happily you weren't seriously injured! Truly though, we pilgrims must take personal responsibility for awareness of where we're walking along hundreds of km of constantly changing varied terrain, both rural and urban. Demanding that a very visible curb that must serve some function to the citizens of Puente Villarente, to be removed, seems a bit extreme.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino
Ray
I did open your PDF, and can understand that if you didn't see the way this section of kerbing was constructed and negotiate it differently, you would have tripped over it. But it seems clear that this is a section of kerb serving another service to the community, and that is separating a parking area from the roadway in a way to force those using the parking area to exit it at somewhere much safer than at this particular curve. If indeed, that is the case, I suspect that the community will be reluctant to remove or replace this kerbing.

Not to mention - we can trip anywhere! My moment on the Frances was slipping on some stairs. My moment on the Primitivo was just an ordinary paved sidewalk with no obvious reason for me falling except I just somehow managed to do just that. Surprisingly I only had 1 small bruise from the stairs. I was pretty scraped up from the sidewalk though - both knees and a hand.

I recently broke a toe. On my yoga mat. It was a typical yoga mat, just like that is a typical kerb. Fortunately you have missed the descents before Zubiri and after Alto de Perdon, but think it's best to start preparing now for the descent into El Acebo and the climb to O’Cebriero.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino
Ray
My kids often make the statement to me about first world privilege. Sorry to say this is a perfect example of that. I live in Mexico and have traveled to many, many less economically privileged countries. If curbs around my house looked like that there would be smiles on people's faces.

Even walking with cane as I do every day and two poles if and when I am on the Camino, there are dangers to us all. Slipping and falling on wet, slick, uphill, downhill, uneven cobblestone pavers in Portugal is my nemesis. I rarely go out if it has been raining.

My sympathy for your fall--never fun. I am currently grounded because I tripped on the straps of an insulated picnic basket near where I live. So now I have a fractured Greater Trochanter (big word for part of the femur). Had to cancel a hike in France. But I can assure you that there are much bigger hazards where I live (S.F. Bay Area)--mostly from aging street trees that undermine and push up sidewalks. I don't fall a lot, but when I do, it is rarely in the spots one would call high risk--like steep, rocky, hillsides--it's usually when I am distracted either by talking with friends or thinking about things other than the trail. My best advice is to use hiking poles--they have probably saved me more than once from falling down a mountainside or being swept downstream in a flooded creek crossing (not on the Camino)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That looks like a perfectly normal, visible curb. Sorry you tripped over it and glad you weren't injured.

While we're on the topic of safety, could someone please sweep the bits of gravel of roads and paths? Loose bits of gravel tends to slide under shoes and cause a slipping/falling hazard. :D
Does that include removing the pebbles as you descend from the Alto de perdón?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Watch that first step, it's a doozy!

Good to hear you were able to continue on. I've heard some horrifying trip and fall stories on the Camino. In 2013 a woman descending into El Acebo slipped on the wet rock, fell face first, broke her nose. Darn wet rock!

Buen Camino!! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have to agree with the Original Poster. Based on the photo attachment, this is bad infrastructure implementation for pedestrians, both for pilgrims and local residents.

It looks like it is "black top" paved surface on both sides of the curb. That can cause a problem for any person with visions issues that affect depth perception. In addition, it looks like the pavement has a depression on the "sidewalk" side of the curb. That causes a raised granite curb in a place pretty much every walker would expect the walking surface would be flush with the top of the curb.

The OP should be praised for raising the issue and making other people aware of the problem.

Jim

I have to agree with the Original Poster. Based on the photo attachment, this is bad infrastructure implementation for pedestrians, both for pilgrims and local residents.

It looks like it is "black top" paved surface on both sides of the curb. That can cause a problem for any person with visions issues that affect depth perception. In addition, it looks like the pavement has a depression on the "sidewalk" side of the curb. That causes a raised granite curb in a place pretty much every walker would expect the walking surface would be flush with the top of the curb.

The OP should be praised for raising the issue and making other people aware of the problem.

Jim
Thank you.

Perhaps the OP could help us by providing details and locations of other potential trip hazards on the route. After all, one can’t be too well-informed. I’ve annotated my well-used copy of Brierley, although I’m disappointed he didn’t mention it already.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I once saw a sharp knife in an albergue kitchen. Should I have reported it?

I am sorry the OP fell and very glad they were ok. ❤️
But speaking of knives - when I asked the hospitalaro in a municipal Alberque in Galicia why the have no kitchen equipment she shrugged and said - maybe they are afraid a pilgrim will hurt another pilgrim with a heavy saucepan or sharp knife. 🤣🤣🤣
Taking risk aversion to the Nth degree.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dear all,
I am currently walking on the Camino Frances having arrived in Burgos from The Ruta de La Lana starting Valencia.
This morning I was walking the last kilometres from Reliegos to Leon when I tripped on a protruding pavement kerb. Luckily I was not hurt badly except from some bruises.
Buen Camino
Raymond Aquilina

Dear @Raymond Aquilina
Thanks for sharing this reminder that even on seemingly safe town terrain we all need to be vigilant- especially if we are a bit tired or distracted.
And I know a fall can be a real shock to the system - and a threat to one’s whole Camino. A minor slide on gravel left me with a bad knee for three days.
I know some of the posters have had a bit of fun with this topic but I’m sure it’s with love in their hearts.
May you be well and enjoy the rest of your Camino with lightness of heart and step. 😍
Buen Camino.

Dear all,
This morning I was walking the last kilometres from Reliegos to Leon when I tripped on a protruding pavement kerb. Luckily I was not hurt badly except from some bruises. This was at Puente Villarente 13kms from Leon.
My fellow Pilgrims be aware of it at the entrance to the village once you crossed the bridge.
Thanks to some Spanish locals and a Korean pilgrim who helped me.
Buen Camino
Raymond Aquilina
Dangerous?? You obviously missed the routes past Roncesvalles

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My sympathy for your fall--never fun. I am currently grounded because I tripped on the straps of an insulated picnic basket near where I live. So now I have a fractured Greater Trochanter (big word for part of the femur). Had to cancel a hike in France. But I can assure you that there are much bigger hazards where I live (S.F. Bay Area)--mostly from aging street trees that undermine and push up sidewalks. I don't fall a lot, but when I do, it is rarely in the spots one would call high risk--like steep, rocky, hillsides--it's usually when I am distracted either by talking with friends or thinking about things other than the trail. My best advice is to use hiking poles--they have probably saved me more than once from falling down a mountainside or being swept downstream in a flooded creek crossing (not on the Camino)

Hi Backpack45,
Thanks for being sympathetic.
Dear @Raymond Aquilina
Thanks for sharing this reminder that even on seemingly safe town terrain we all need to be vigilant- especially if we are a bit tired or distracted.
And I know a fall can be a real shock to the system - and a threat to one’s whole Camino. A minor slide on gravel left me with a bad knee for three days.
I know some of the posters have had a bit of fun with this topic but I’m sure it’s with love in their hearts.
May you be well and enjoy the rest of your Camino with lightness of heart and step. 😍
Buen Camino.

These things can happen everywhere I agree and lucky I was not seriously injured. With the fall my blood pressure went low and almost fainted ..thanks for some passers by who helped me recover and brought me a drink.
This is my 11th Camino which I started from Valencia and I know very well what are the hazards of the Camino and always use trekking poles which this time were'nt enough. I fell flat on one of them and still feel the blow on my ribs.
I was at Leon the following day and noticed a similar kerb but this time it was painted bright red and this made a great difference.
Hundreds of pilgrims cross the kerb where I fell every day on the Camino Frances before arriving in Leon.
Now I am very well at Molinaseca and whoever walked the Camino knows well what a demanding descent there is from Cruz de Ferro..I came down smoothly this morning from there.
Buen Camino,
Ray

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.