• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dangerous road walking on the Norte?

NadineMc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ( June 2013) Camino Portugal ( June 2014) Camino Frances ( June 2015) Norte 2018
Hello everybody. I was wondering if there are a lot of stretches along the Norte where I would be walking on the shoulder along side speeding cars. I remember that happening a couple times along the Portuguese Camino and that terrifies me. I’ll be starting in Bilbao and branching off to join the primitivo. Thank you for all advice!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everybody. I was wondering if there are a lot of stretches along the Norte where I would be walking on the shoulder along side speeding cars. I remember that happening a couple times along the Portuguese Camino and that terrifies me. I’ll be starting in Bilbao and branching off to join the primitivo. Thank you for all advice!

Hi, Nadine,
There are long stretches walking alongside the national highway, but luckily that road is not heavily traveled because of the newer and faster super-highway that generally parallels it. I don't remember many terror-inducing stretches, but there are times of day when you are likely to find a fair number of garbage trucks and other local delivery vehicles.

I probably sound like a broken record, but many of those road stretches can be avoided by taking some of the coastal alternatives described in a pinned thread in the Norte sub-forum.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Nadine,
There are long stretches walking alongside the national highway, but luckily that road is not heavily traveled because of the newer and faster super-highway that generally parallels it. I don't remember many terror-inducing stretches, but there are times of day when you are likely to find a fair number of garbage trucks and other local delivery vehicles.

I probably sound like a broken record, but many of those road stretches can be avoided by taking some of the coastal alternatives described in a pinned thread in the Norte sub-forum.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you Laurie. I will read about the coastal alternatives.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Laurie. I will read about the coastal alternatives.
Hi! Can I ask you how it went? We're looking at this route (Bilbao --> Santander) and I'm a bit leery of cars (I've been hit). Are there maybe bike lanes we can use or is there at least a bit of dirt off to the side? Thanks so much!

Hi! Can I ask you how it went? We're looking at this route (Bilbao --> Santander) and I'm a bit leery of cars (I've been hit). Are there maybe bike lanes we can use or is there at least a bit of dirt off to the side? Thanks so much!
Hi Jamey, I'm just jumping in as the thread is more than 4 years old and Nadine's profile says she's not been seen on the forum for over a year...
IMO all of the Norte was pretty safe for road walking. There are a lot of small quiet or empty roads. And generally the bigger national roads have a constant line on the side and there's usually an area you can walk on a few feet wide the other side of the line. At bends you may get low metal barriers and have to decide which side of them you want to, or can, walk. But I found it all OK, able to make decisions on the spot as to whether I wanted to walk slowly in the undergrowth or faster on the tarmac where it felt safe. It wasn't scary at all
I was scared to fear and anger on the week out of Lisbon on the Portugues because so many of the locals drove without due care for pedestrians. I wouldn't say the two experiences are closely related at all.
Cheers, tom

@jameywr

On the Norte at the moment and it’s very busy with pilgrims. Yes there’s a lot of stretches on roads but they are quiet.

Passed groups of Spanish who didn’t seem concerned but they were walking on the left to face oncoming traffic. Ironically the National routes are better as they are wider with less bends.

Edit: Took this today to show how casual pilgrims can be on quiet roads.

Attachments

• 05A3B64D-C9DA-4A63-B30D-13CA1092C745.jpeg
    05A3B64D-C9DA-4A63-B30D-13CA1092C745.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@jameywr

On the Norte at the moment and it’s very busy with pilgrims. Yes there’s a lot of stretches on roads but they are quiet.

Passed groups of Spanish who didn’t seem concerned but they were walking on the left to face oncoming traffic. Ironically the National routes are better as they are wider with less bends.
I agree, I'm out here too. Yes main roads but it's normally the quieter roads between towns.

We also walk facing traffic. Early mornings we wear torches, reflective armbands and reflective raincovers when it's raining.

Can't be too careful as there a lot of bends on these roads

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.