• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dangerous Traffic?

Cmeckley

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SdC (2011),Porto-SdC, Variante Espiritual (2016), SJPP- Santiago (2017), Porto-SdC (2019)
Just weeks away from my first Camino! I am particularly concerned because I will be walking with my 14 year old daughter (from SJPP - Santiago). Are there any areas of high/dangerous traffic I should be aware of in advance? I'm wondering if it makes sense to take brief, alternative transport through such places.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello:

I just completed the Camino Frances on April 25th. While all the major cities require some level of caution, the only one I found dangerous was the bridge crossing a river outside of Leon. The walkway was less than a meter wide and heavy traffic going in both directions.

Good luck it is nice to see a father/daughter combination on the Camino.

I will offer you two pieces of advice. One, review your pack load, everyone takes too much and poco poco.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thank you, Joe! I will make note of it in my guide.

Incidentally, we are a mother-daughter team :) After many years of dreaming about it, we are walking this year in honor of my 40th b-day, and my daughter heading off to boarding school this September.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree with jpflavin.
Next time I go (cause there must be a next time ... :) ) I will take a bus into and out of Leon. Maybe from Mansilla de las Mulas to Hospital de Orbigo (alternatively to Villadangos del Paramo). Much walking next to roads there (but not dangerous excactly, except for just before reaching Leon).

I went with my daughter too, 18 then, in 2009. Nice to share the camino with your daughter!
Buen camino to both of you!

The walking in traffic is not a major problem or concern unless people are walking somewhere different than i have been.
I would suggest a very lightweight runner type fluorescent vest. Keep it for real easy access and then just pop it on when you feel the traffic is a little close. Be sure to get the really light one as it does not have to be worn much.

It is interesting that others have picked up on the only place on the Camino where the traffic gave me any concern. It is the narrow, but thankfully short, bridge crossing into Villarente, about 11 Kms from the municipal albergue in Leon. With the exception of this one bridge I did not experience any safety problems walking into Burgos, Leon or any place else.

Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kialoa3 said:
It is interesting that others have picked up on the only place on the Camino where the traffic gave me any concern. It is the narrow, but thankfully short, bridge crossing into Villarente, about 11 Kms from the municipal albergue in Leon. With the exception of this one bridge I did not experience any safety problems walking into Burgos, Leon or any place else.

Buen camino

the same with me - I would NOT take a bus either to Leon or out of Leon. Nor To/ from Burgos. Not for the safety reasons. Walking to Leon is not dangerous at all. You cross the highway once and then you walk over the highway on puentes high up above the highway.

Into Leon and Burgos, and out of Leon are the best examples of urban pilgrimage on the Camino. Some love it, most hate it. Leaving Logrono is the kind of urban walk I like; stores and car dealerships, followed by one of the largest city parks I have seen. I did not see that any were actually dangerous. There is plenty of daily danger to pedestrians who are not wary of traffic.

Getting slightly off topic, or off the CF, the last day of the Camino Ingles has a few hundred metres of dodgy walking beside a major road with heavy traffic whizzing past at a rate of knots - I didn't like that bit at all. :mrgreen:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There's one thing to keep in mind where traffics concerned. If you're from a country where they drive on the left, you'll automatically look to the right before crossing a road.
I did that on a road just outside Sarria. The speeding car passing from my left missed me by inches.
To feel the back draught from the Angel of Deaths wings is a sobering experience.

Steve.Belfast said:
There's one thing to keep in mind where traffics concerned. If you're from a country where they drive on the left, you'll automatically look to the right before crossing a road.
I did that on a road just outside Sarria. The speeding car passing from my left missed me by inches.
To feel the back draught from the Angel of Deaths wings is a sobering experience.

Amen, Steve. My camino nearly ended the first morning in Ferrol, when I mistook a dual carriageway for 2 direction road, and didn't properly check to my left.....

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back