• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dangers in the Pyrenees?

Where did you start your Camino?

• Total voters

CaminoMatt

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino de Frances (Future)
Hi,

I am wanting to walk the Camino Frances and want to start my journey in St Jean. This means walking through the Pyrenees mountains which my family are quite concerned about.

Could you tell me what the route is like and as much advice as possible to help settle their minds as well as mine.

Thanks

CaminoMatt

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are two routes, and both present their difficulties, and dangers. The only person who can reassure your family is you. Suggesting that it is not risky is not the way, but demonstrating that you understand the risks and have prepared yourself for them might be.

Matt, a little research should provide you and your family with all the re-assurance required. Apart from Lynx, Brown Bear, Griffon Vultures and Mountain Bikers there are very few dangerous animals in the Pyrenees. Weather hazards are no different to any other mountain system and at worst on the Camino Frances you run the risk of one to two days exposure depending on which exact route you undertake. There are links on this forum to enough logs, blogs and even stop-frame movies of this hazardous endeavour to satisfy anyones curiosity surely. Thousands of people walk from St Jean to Santiago every year. The usual advice, to follow the advice of the Pilgrims' Office in St Jean applies, always.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't fill out your survey as I have done several Caminos, choosing different ways ;-) If/How you cross the Pyrenees safely depends hugely on the weather. The Valcarlos route mentioned by @dougfitz is a good variant to take if you are unsure. But really, there is nothing wrong with starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona - the Pyrenees are not compulsory. Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I am wanting to walk the Camino Frances and want to start my journey in St Jean. This means walking through the Pyrenees mountains which my family are quite concerned about.
Could you tell me what the route is like and as much advice as possible to help settle their minds as well as mine.
Thanks
CaminoMatt
There are lots of videos on YouTube to show you what the route and walk are like. What are you and your family actually concerned about? If you are not walking in late fall or early spring, when there could be significant weather-related problems, there really aren't any significant "dangers." Take water and lunch, wear a hat, have a wind/rain jacket.

Well, there were in the past a few regrettable fatalities in the Napoleon route and, much more frequently, people who needed to be rescued because of the weather . That is why authorities decided to close it from November to Mars, as a precaution (the other, lower route, is open all year round).
I don't have the numbers, but I believe that statistically is very safe, and thousands of people of every age and condition do it every year. It is not as crossing the Himalayas (it is a walk, not a climbing!), half of it is along a paved road, and (depending on the season), you will be walking with lots of people.
I'd only add that, after I turned 50, I do a general medical check up (including a dental....) before a long walking in a foreign country, as a personal norm; and try to be as prepared and informed as possible.

Its an uphill walk on roads passing through exposed sheep pasture for about 20 km till you reach the height of land. Then its 4 or 5 km down to Roncesvalles. There is no place to stop ... everything is covered with sheep shit.

The risk is in cloudy wet weather. Meaning you could lose your hand in the cloud if you don't keep it attached. You could get disoriented or run out of energy leading to hypothermia.

Solution is to carry chocolate or other energy rich foods and make sure you stay hydrated even if the weather is cool. If you get lost in cloud or dark ... stay in place and try to keep warm.

People sometimes get injured on the slower direct route down the hill. It is under trees (so it gets dark earlier) and is relatively steep and slippery. I used the longer but recommended route following an old road (with many shortcuts) down to the highway and then into Roncesvalles.

When I went it was sideways blowing rain for a couple of hours. Bring rain gear and use it if the weather is wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi CaminoMatt,

I walked from Sant Jean to Santiago for the first time this last March/April. I'm 71 yrs young. I trained for a year but everyone is different. I'd advise anyone who is distance walking for the first time to do some training. I was too early to take the Napoleon Route via Orisson (closed until April 1st), so went via Valcarlos to Roncesvalles. It was cool and it was a long and physically challenging first day. Most of that day is easily doable but it's the last 2 or 3 kms just before Roncesvalles which are steep and difficult. I became stronger and more relaxed after a week or two 'on the trail'. I guess anyone who walks from Saint Jean the first time is a bit tense so that might help to make that first day harder. There are plenty of walkers going that way, so you won't be alone. A lot of them will look tired and will be thinking "I must be crazy".

The dangers are: the weather, dehydration, misjudging your level of fitness, not checking your guide book often enough. Also: wearing the wrong shoes/boots or footwear that doesn't fit in which case you might end up with blisters, walking poles (i.e., the lack thereof - a contentious issue, although I recommend them). Check the weather and all current conditions at the pilgrim office in Saint Jean. They will also give you a detailed map (with photos) to get you off the main highway into the hills as you leave Saint Jean. After the first few days you will become used to finding the way markers which are almost always staring you right in the face anyway. Depending on when you walk, there might be snow or mud or water in the shaded areas up high near Roncesvalles which can make the going more strenuous.

All civilians will treat you with respect and will be patient, helpful and generous.

Should you discover after a few days that you need some extra gear (I bought better gloves) I strongly recommend Caminotech in Pamplona.

The biggest positive element is that you will be starting what is either the biggest adventure of your life, or the first big adventure of your life, and so you'll have a buzz in your heart and a great big Monty Python hand solidly planted right in the middle of your back. Pushing you all the way to Santiago.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Hi,

Thanks

CaminoMatt
Hi Matt,
Some of the comments here may have been made with a tongue firmly in cheek. Please reassure your parents (and yourself) that you are not actually going into the main part of the Pyrenees. The walk from SJPP is in the foothills of the Pyrenees. NO jagged peaks and the highest bump you cross is at 1430m.

Reassure your parents with this ... When I first walked over that stretch from SJPP to Roncesvalles, I was 59. I've done it 3 other times since then - the last time for my 70th birthday. I am not in particularly good shape and the first time I thought it would kill me. But now I absolutely love it. At that age, I am not an exception. I meet people older than me frequently, and if they're European, they usually charge up the hills much faster than I do!! This is not mountain climbing. It's walking up a steep (steep, steep) hill, and the first 15 km is paved.

But to be clear, that doesn't mean it's easy. It gets a person right out of puff in spots *smile*. And, unfortunately, the occasional person has had a heart attack. And, of course, anyone who hasn't trained a bit and starts out too fast can get pretty painful shin splints, blisters, cramps or whatever.

You don't mention when you want to go, and definitely some times of the year are easier than other (Ms. Obvious I know). The bottom line on the road is that it IS a mountain road and can be dangerous. Mountains and oceans can be calm and serene or totally violent. You don't want to try to argue when they're in a violent mood because you will likely lose.

The people in the Pilgrims Office in SJPP know what the mountain conditions are, as the road is monitored on a daily basis for bad weather (at least in the iffy months). IF the people in the Pilgrims Office tell you not to cross over the mountain - DON'T DO IT. In the past people have chosen to cross anyway and there have been deaths. Although the conditions are frequently just fine and very mellow, sometimes they are dangerous. You just need to use your head and listen to others.

Please feel reassured, and reassure your parents, that unless you do something really stupid, you should be absolutely fine. Unless you're going in the middle of winter, there will be lots of people who can help you if you were to have an accident of some kind. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Well, it's not a dangerous road per se. So many people walk, usually without any specific problem. You'll see so many people around you and I assume wild animals aren't likely to show up because they don't like this kind of commotion (I've seen none). There are some potential problems.

Check on the weather before you leave - because that might be a cause for danger (in summer, not as likely). If the weather's good, that's maybe the main thing gone.

Another thing to consider is much of the way is on road and cars go by. You should be aware, especially if there's fog (very common as you go up), walk at the edge of the road, wear reflective wear or carry a flashlight and be aware and listen carefully. Don't walk in the fog listening to music in your headphones or anything of the sort.

There is a long stretch without water. With the heat and exerting yourself, I'd say you should have about 2 litres of water per person. If it's hot, take frequent breaks in the shade and rest. Wear a hat and use sunscreen.

And take it slow. Don't be a hero.

That's about it, in my opinion.

Edit: I assumed you were going soon, but you didn't actually say that. Each season has its own problems, of course.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The weather was pretty good when I walked SJPDP to Roncesvalles. As Inbar says above, you will walk along the shoulder of the main (two lane) road for a while if you go via Valcarlos. You will walk along the edges of roads for short distances here and there later on, but never along the shoulder of big busy multi-lane highways. I put super-reflective safety tape at the tops of my walking poles - it's amazingly brightly reflective when headlights hit it in fading daylight, better than nothing in fog, very fluorescent in daylight. Available at good hardware stores. It doesn't like bending, it's really best for flat surfaces. But I put clear packing tape over it to hold it down. It's still there now, fresh as a daisy. (that mud in the photo was much later in the voyage) I never saw anybody else who had done this. I'll let you do it for a small fee. Just kidding. - Mike
Mike's-Camino-pics-14.jpg

The weather was pretty good when I walked SJPDP to Roncesvalles. As Inbar says above, you will walk along the shoulder of the main (two lane) road for a while if you go via Valcarlos. You will walk along the edges of roads for short distances here and there later on, but never along the shoulder of big busy multi-lane highways. I put super-reflective tape at the tops of my walking poles - it's amazingly brightly reflective when headlights hit it in fading daylight, better than nothing in fog, very fluorescent in daylight. Available at good hardware stores. It doesn't like bending, it's really best for flat surfaces. But I put clear packing tape over it to hold it down. It's still there now, fresh as a daisy. (that mud in the photo was much later in the voyage) I never saw anybody else who had done this. I'll let you do it for a small fee. Just kidding. - Mike
View attachment 27662
There's road walking on Napolean Route too. Some cars passed by. As you said, not many - but they were quite fast.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Matt - millions - literally millions have walked both routes ... you have more chance of getting hurt by crossing the road.
True, there have been a couple of deaths in the past few years but these tend to be Darwin Awards - going up there against advice in snow and getting a blizzard.

You won't be alone, there will be others out there - when it says 'mountain' don't think in terms of Everest ... it isn't like that at all, it is just a long and high walk ... enjoy it - and don't allow the fears of others to ruin your life!!

Buen Camino - oh .. do watch out for those bears and wolves! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAaa

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I mentioned to friends about doing the Camino, I was warned about the dangers too. I think it all came mainly from watching that movie where Martin Sheen's son parished on the Pyrenees. The fact that he was younger and died there gives the impression that it is the main danger threat on this Frances route.

Hi,

Thanks

CaminoMatt
Of course if you were to cross the Pyrenees on the first day in very bad weather such as heavy snow, or thunder storms with lightning, etc you would risk the possibility of injury or death, but anybody with a lick of common sense wouldn't do that. Same to be said for crossing them in warm weather without proper hydration, or if you are in bad health.
Every time I crossed them between the months of June and August it was quite nice and not dangerous at all. Definitely build up a sweat, and get hungry. The first time I did it I had no snacks and just a light breakfast. I was in danger of gnawing on tree bark I was so hungry by the time I reached Roncesvalles. :D
I've posted this video before. The guy did a good job on showing the first day over the Pyrenees from SJPdP to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route. It dispels a lot of myths about that first day's walk. Take note at how much of the route is over improved surfaces such as blacktop roads and semi-improved surfaces such as gravel. Very little actual unimproved trail walking. Sure, if it's muddy you can slip and bust your arse, so use common sense there.
In a way the walking route surfaces from the first day are a microcosm of the whole Frances route. That is what you will pretty much walk all the way to Santiago. Hope I don't disappoint anyone that thought it was a wilderness trek.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also wild pigs/boars, eagle's, snakes, lightening, blizzards, falling rocks and fellow walkers. But in my view the greatest danger is probably slipping and twisting your foot. TBH It's pretty tame in the area you are crossing but if in doubt follow the road.

And how about flying pigs, nuclear energy bars, falling walkers, bizzarros, shortening, zombies, marmot stampedes, split infinitives, billiards, death stars, polystyrene, Las Vegas, genetic mutation, gamma rays, antimatter, ISIS, frog rain, anxiety, back seat drivers, holy mackerels, almighty dins, Kentucky Fried Chicken potato salad, nose hair, aspartame, IMAX, the ozone layer, exploding dentures, batboy, lawyers, guns, money, fiddledeedee, and dandruff. And spiders. I hate spiders.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And how about flying pigs, nuclear energy bars, falling walkers, bizzarros, shortening, zombies, marmot stampedes, split infinitives, billiards, death stars, polystyrene, Las Vegas, genetic mutation, gamma rays, antimatter, ISIS, frog rain, anxiety, back seat drivers, holy mackerels, almighty dins, Kentucky Fried Chicken potato salad, nose hair, aspartame, IMAX, the ozone layer, exploding dentures, batboy, lawyers, guns, money, fiddledeedee, and dandruff. And spiders. I hate spiders.

Ah yes the dread split infinitive ... pilgrims are known to boldly split infinitives where none have been split before.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Matt
The only part of the Camino I was truly worried about before starting was crossing the Pyrenees. I am not a big hiker. And I hate climbing hills (much less mountains!) The weather when we crossed was 30 degrees with a 50MPH head wind and freezing rain. It wasn't easy. But it wasn't all that hard, either. (Really, this is from a wuss!!) I'm really, really glad I started in St. Jean. And most especially that I spent the first night in Orisson (8K from St. Jean). It was the first of what would become my favorite experiences on the Camino - communal, family style meals with pilgrims from all over the world.

Buen camino, brother!
DJ

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Valcarlos route is a lovely alternative to the Napoleon. If the weather is even moderately reasonable, take the path all the way, if very, very bad, take the road for the last bit. Very nice albergue in Valcarlos, which splits the day neatly and makes it much easier. And no race for beds if you stay in Valcarlos overnight; you get onto Roncesvalles well before the crocodile line going via the Route Napoleon. A bonus is that Valcarlos has one of the best restaurants!

Hi,

Thanks

CaminoMatt
I went over in May we did it in one day with full packs on. The path up is OK just steep but mostly road start early and take your time they'll be plenty of folks around you all in the same boat. The descent is the killer very slow picking your way down. My two top tips are: 1) Send you pack on that day and walk with a day pack 2) Buy a walking pole or even two! I didn't get my walking pole till later but I wish I had it that day. Don't be tempted to miss this stage once you have done it you know you can do anything else the Camino throws at you and everyone will ask you for the rest of the trip about your Pyrenees experience. When I did my pack was too heavy and I was three stone overweight and emotional reward was fabulous ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As others have said, both routes demand respect and the rewards of stupidity can be deadly--but if you bring common sense along with you and listen to the folks in the Pilgrim Office at SJPP, you'll be fine.
that movie where Martin Sheen's son parished on the Pyrenees. The fact that he was younger and died there gives the impression that it is the main danger threat on this Frances route.
The movie is total fiction-something that some people can tend to forget (not meaning you, Jas, or most Forum members).
So 'CROSSING THE PYRENEES' takes on mythic proportions.
It's. not. Everest.
Nor is it the only beautiful or authentic or challenging way to get from SJPP to Roncesvalles. The Valcarlos route is way, way undervalued. The path through the beech forest is magic.

A bonus is that Valcarlos has one of the best restaurants!
Oh, @Kanga, where? There seemed to be nothing open when I walked through, and I ended up having only a few oranges and a bar of chocolate to sustain me until I got to Roncesvalles. How'd I miss this--maybe because it was early March?

WHAT - no brown bears? Now I am feeling cheated even before I get on the plane (next May). So I guess the guiding rule is - follow the advice of the Pilgrims Office in St Jean and watch out for the vultures (both those that fly and those that walk upright)!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Viranani it is towards the end of the village. I dropped in there intending to have a late lunch, to find food set out on all the tables. People were helping themselves. There had been a funeral that day and the village was there for the wake. I slipped out quietly and came back a few hours later and was given a wonderful meal.

Like Kanga I, too, enjoyed eating in Valcarlos. During the past 11 years always staying at the municipal albergue often I have eaten in the dining room of the nearby Casa Marcelino with a menu del dia that is copious, delicious and a great value. Since the Casa is located at the western end of town on the calle Elizaldea perhaps it is the same spot that Kanga enjoyed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,

Thanks

CaminoMatt
Nothing to be concerned regarding safety, the route is basically an uphill road walk with breathtaking views, not a technical hike, bring plenty of water and sunscreen, you will enjoy it. At no time I felt like I should not be there because it was unsafe. Just go for it. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You forgot exwifes

Matt, a little research should provide you and your family with all the re-assurance required. Apart from Lynx, Brown Bear, Griffon Vultures and Mountain Bikers there are very few dangerous animals in the Pyrenees. Weather hazards are no different to any other mountain system and at worst on the Camino Frances you run the risk of one to two days exposure depending on which exact route you undertake. There are links on this forum to enough logs, blogs and even stop-frame movies of this hazardous endeavour to satisfy anyones curiosity surely. Thousands of people walk from St Jean to Santiago every year. The usual advice, to follow the advice of the Pilgrims' Office in St Jean applies, always.
¿Brown Bears? There are no one Bear in that area. About Lynx the same.

I medically treated 5 people on my last trip over the top. It was snowing and some people treat it like a walk around the park. Not carrying water was the biggest issue. 15 rescued and 1 death.
Safest way is walk in a group and carry 2 littes of water. I had 3 litres and ended up giving a lot to people suffering. That year, there was no water from Orison to Ronsesvalles.

Hi Matt
The only part of the Camino I was truly worried about before starting was crossing the Pyrenees. I am not a big hiker. And I hate climbing hills (much less mountains!) The weather when we crossed was 30 degrees with a 50MPH head wind and freezing rain. It wasn't easy. But it wasn't all that hard, either. (Really, this is from a wuss!!) I'm really, really glad I started in St. Jean. And most especially that I spent the first night in Orisson (8K from St. Jean). It was the first of what would become my favorite experiences on the Camino - communal, family style meals with pilgrims from all over the world.

Buen camino, brother!
DJ
So DJ did you find the steep hills the first day manageable...I get out of breath fast when I go up steep hills so I am getting nervous about doing this first day on my Camino - I will be doing the Valcarlos route.

Hi,

Thanks

CaminoMatt
While not a particularly far hike, 24km out of the 900 odd Km to Finnisterra, facing the hill on the first day, is certainly daunting. For me personally, that first day’s walk has tremendous psychological importance. When starting out, it seems impossible that one can manage to walk all the way up the steep slopes, following the road that seems to go on for ever. Once over the hill, nothing seems impossible, and, I found, that it is possible to enjoy the experience, secure in the Knowledge that ones body, in spite of the trials and tribulations to come, is capable of meeting the test.

I have been over the Hill on two occasions, both Camino’s starting at more or less the same time, about May 20th . On both occasions, I was fortunate to be accompanied by my brother, Derek van Rensburg. Being a veteran of numerous Camino’s, Derek is a vast walking encyclopaedia of all things Camino, with untold snippets of information on Spain, it’s history, culture, cuisine and architecture.

On the first occasion, the weather was brilliant, clear sunny skies, and after a hard slog, I was rewarded by a fantastic view over the countryside from the summit. The long walk up the hill was, for a not very fit novice pilgrim, probably one of the hardest things that I had done for a long time. Again, Derek’s encouragement, and wry comments, interspersed with interesting historical footnotes, went a long way to motivating me, and keeping one foot moving ahead of the other. Sitting on the summit, and enjoying a repast of bread, cheese and Jamon, I felt a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. I had just done something that I had had serious doubts, of my ability to do. This feeling of accomplishment was to stand me in good stead during the weeks ahead. After lasing in the sunshine, we set off on the last leg of our days journey, and a short downward walk later, I arrived at the old refuge at Roncesvallis.

On my second Camino, we left St. Jean in the dark on a still cool morning. As we followed the road higher and higher up the Hill, we notices ominous signs of mist closing in, accompanied with a marked drop in temperature.

clip_image002.jpg

The higher we went, the more the weather closed in, and visibility declined, to the point of about a one meter visibility radius, and a cold steady Scotch Mist. As our strides, and walking tempo differed, a gap slowly opened between Derek and I, with Derek being the faster walker, slowly pulling ahead. Following the yellow arrows became more and more difficult as the mist closed in, restricting visibility. Becoming disorientated by the lack of visibility, I lost sense of time and distance, and had no idea how far I was from the summit.

As the road steepened, I walked in a zig-zag pattern to ease the strain on my legs. While zigging across the road, I missed Derek waiting at the turn-off, and kept on going higher. Finally I realised that, not only were there no pilgrims in sight, or sound of me, but that I seemed to have run out of road. Retracing my path, I literally walked into a concerned Derek, having walked right passed him, having missed him in the mist on the way up.

clip_image004.jpg

We arrived at Roncesvallis in driving rain, and found that the new refuge, run by the Dutch, was certainly more comfortable than the old.

Thinking about things, I believe that that first day’s journey encompasses the whole Camino experience into a single day’s journey. The experience, to most Pilgrims, is new. The demands of the first day, on untried bodies, often with very little practical experience and training, are daunting. It is almost as if all the emotions of the Camino are compressed into that single experience.

Into the unknown, hardship that must simply be endured, the satisfaction of achieving what you thought you may not be able to do, the comradeship of fellow pilgrims, and the triumphant arrival at Roncesvallis

Yes, the Way is long, there will be moments of doubt, moments of soul searching, of blisters and strain, but also moments of Joy, of friends made for life, and finally, when the route is done, of memories that return. Of an accomplishment made.

All of this is encapsulated in that first days walk, the walk over the Hill.

Photos; Derek van Rensburg

1st Photo First signs of encroaching mist

2nd Photo Mist now stronger, turning to rain

Hi Matt,
Some of the comments here may have been made with a tongue firmly in cheek. Please reassure your parents (and yourself) that you are not actually going into the main part of the Pyrenees. The walk from SJPP is in the foothills of the Pyrenees. NO jagged peaks and the highest bump you cross is at 1430m.

Reassure your parents with this ... When I first walked over that stretch from SJPP to Roncesvalles, I was 59. I've done it 3 other times since then - the last time for my 70th birthday. I am not in particularly good shape and the first time I thought it would kill me. But now I absolutely love it. At that age, I am not an exception. I meet people older than me frequently, and if they're European, they usually charge up the hills much faster than I do!! This is not mountain climbing. It's walking up a steep (steep, steep) hill, and the first 15 km is paved.

But to be clear, that doesn't mean it's easy. It gets a person right out of puff in spots *smile*. And, unfortunately, the occasional person has had a heart attack. And, of course, anyone who hasn't trained a bit and starts out too fast can get pretty painful shin splints, blisters, cramps or whatever.

You don't mention when you want to go, and definitely some times of the year are easier than other (Ms. Obvious I know). The bottom line on the road is that it IS a mountain road and can be dangerous. Mountains and oceans can be calm and serene or totally violent. You don't want to try to argue when they're in a violent mood because you will likely lose.

The people in the Pilgrims Office in SJPP know what the mountain conditions are, as the road is monitored on a daily basis for bad weather (at least in the iffy months). IF the people in the Pilgrims Office tell you not to cross over the mountain - DON'T DO IT. In the past people have chosen to cross anyway and there have been deaths. Although the conditions are frequently just fine and very mellow, sometimes they are dangerous. You just need to use your head and listen to others.

Please feel reassured, and reassure your parents, that unless you do something really stupid, you should be absolutely fine. Unless you're going in the middle of winter, there will be lots of people who can help you if you were to have an accident of some kind. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was 81 when I did the Camino last year and I definitely did it "my way". Never did I feel in danger and found both other pilgrims and local people invariably friendly. Advice - there is no prize for speed; use walking poles; shoes! I discarded the ones I had brought and got Keen sandals in Logrono - am wearing them right now :); don't overload your backpack and consider sending it by Jaco trans or Os Correos if you need to; water!! is vital; I don't like sunglasses and found my bucket hat worked well; I stopped in Orisson for the first night - good meal and was better prepared for the next day; etcetc. In a way, I found my age an advantage as I have pretty much made peace with the fact that I can no longer run about as I used to do. Now, slow and steady works for me. Have a good time and do your own walk! Buen Camino

I medically treated 5 people on my last trip over the top. It was snowing and some people treat it like a walk around the park. Not carrying water was the biggest issue. 15 rescued and 1 death.
Safest way is walk in a group and carry 2 littes of water. I had 3 litres and ended up giving a lot to people suffering. That year, there was no water from Orison to Ronsesvalles.

15 rescued and one dead on this part of the Pyrenees in one day? When was that? I took a small bottle of water (1/2 lt) when I walked it last year in June, maybe a bit light for some of you but 3 litres!
Having walked these mountains for 2 decades the only mishap I was involved in was with a young couple, who were in the higher section, who went walking out one evening from their ski lodge. Got lost and only had light gear on. The walkers/climbers (of which their were many including me) found them a shepherds shelter, warm clothes and food for overnight stop. The next day we put them on the right path home. One year their was a blizzard in June (for a day only)again on the high section. We just stopped and put a shelter up for 4/5 hours whilst it abated and then melted. I know the helicopters were out picking people up but then again a lot of people were just not properly equipped. All the injuries we incurred were twisted ankles and bad bruising from falls - never from dehydration.

I think weather and rogue sheep are the biggest concern. There are some horses that roam. I camped at the pass the night of my first day and it was stunning.
Talk to folks at the Pilgrim's office for up to date comditions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

Thanks

CaminoMatt

If your worried see the comments from all the veterans who have done it, Its beautiful but hard, not dangerous, well worth the effort. and if your really worried why don't you stop and stay in Orrison, (half way over night)

i think your streeing your self out, and everyone does, but you'll be fine, in st jean you could arrange to get your backpack moved to roncesvalles, and the most important thing is water, dont run out of water, allow plenty, and go at your pace.....Buen camino

Our Camino Frances pilgrimage starts mid March 2017. I remain amused and satisfied to read this post, both for the original plea and from my sense of pride for the post's "aged and frail" that el camino has fulfilled.
The distance, risks and effort are enough to deter many. I therefore appreciate the wisdom, experience and spiritual insight offered by pilgrims on Ivar's sites for those of us yet to follow the way.
I will be 73 and accompany my daughter and her husband to share this community trek along with the spirit of mum and dad.
To the thread peregrino valiente Matt, all the best.

Our Camino Frances pilgrimage starts mid March 2017. I remain amused and satisfied to read this post, both for the original plea and from my sense of pride for the post's "aged and frail" that el camino has fulfilled.
The distance, risks and effort are enough to deter many. I therefore appreciate the wisdom, experience and spiritual insight offered by pilgrims on Ivar's sites for those of us yet to follow the way.
I will be 73 and accompany my daughter and her husband to share this community trek along with the spirit of mum and dad.
To the thread peregrino valiente Matt, all the best.
Hi Trevor, wish you all a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So DJ did you find the steep hills the first day manageable...I get out of breath fast when I go up steep hills so I am getting nervous about doing this first day on my Camino - I will be doing the Valcarlos route.

Hi Matt
I get out of breath going up hills, too!! :) I understand your nervousness, I was, too. I didn't find the first day (from SJPP to Orisson) all that difficult. There were only a couple of kilometers that were particularly steep. As for the rest of the crossing to Roncesvalles, I discovered that my anticipation and anxiety about crossing the Pyrenees were totally unfounded. My suggestion would be to go slow and take breaks when you need to.

As FDR said: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Whether you go the Napoleon or the Valcarlos route, it will be the "right" choice. Trust yourself. You've got this! Buen Camino!!

Being from the mountainous west coast of Canada I poo-poohed the dangers of the Route Napoleon on my first Camino in late April 2012. But weather is everything, especially if you come prepared for summer in Spain and a mountain storm appears, complete with freezing rain and wind. An Italian woman died that day on the Route Napoleon and two or maybe three other pilgrims were evacuated by ambulance. I was mildly hypothermic by the time I reached the hut about 40 minutes back from the summit. I wrung out my socks and warmed up a bit and then started out again. The photo below was the view just past the summit when the worst of the weather was behind us. But the pilgrim ahead of me was just about to lose her pack cover to the wind.. I lost mine a few moments later.

DSCN3106.JPG

Surprisingly the weather cleared as we approached Roncesvalles. The winds calmed and the sky turned sunny and blue.

The next year I walked the route again at the same time and it was a lark. All beautiful views, sheep, horses and vultures. But the route had been closed the day before because of a storm and there were still reminders of what that had been like. These icicles had formed horizontally on the tree branches due to the strength of the wind:

IMG_0250.JPG

So, take the weather warnings seriously but if you're lucky you will have a wonderful day with spectacular views and lots of great things to see!

Hi Matt
I get out of breath going up hills, too!! :) I understand your nervousness, I was, too. I didn't find the first day (from SJPP to Orisson) all that difficult. There were only a couple of kilometers that were particularly steep. As for the rest of the crossing to Roncesvalles, I discovered that my anticipation and anxiety about crossing the Pyrenees were totally unfounded. My suggestion would be to go slow and take breaks when you need to.

As FDR said: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Whether you go the Napoleon or the Valcarlos route, it will be the "right" choice. Trust yourself. You've got this! Buen Camino!!
I had the same experience the first day (from SJPP to Orisson) of getting out of breath going up the huge hills ... but then an angel appeared to me (in the form of a French Pilgrim in his 80s who had walked from his hometown in the French Alps) and gave me the technique that made it possible to do the rest of the Pyrenees and the rest of the camino undaunted. The technique worked really well on the steep downhill as well ... it prevented bruised toes. . . He saw that I had stopped out of breath close to Orisson and he began to do a 'zigzag' walking back and forth across the road ... I thought he was just clowning around ... then my husband exclaimed, "I forgot about that!" "Forgot about what?!" I replied... If you zigzag, you essentially create your own incline at your own pace ... thus rendering the highest steepest incline into little inclines that are manageable... voila! I'm so thankful for angels!

The weather is truly the factor that is most likely to be a problem on the Route Napoleon, the reports of fatalities on the route almost entirely involve either poorly equipped pilgrims attempting it in mid winter ( about 3 years ago a Brazilian went off route in a snow blizzard and went over a steep drop, body was only found a couple of months later when snow had thawed ) or people with an underlying health problem.
Prepare sensibly by walking regularly in the months before your departure with your backpack and camino footwear gradually increasing distance until you are comfortable walking 20+ kms. I crossed the Route Napoleon near end of May 2013 in heavy mist and freezing conditions and chose to descend via the road to meet the top of the Valcarlos route rather than risk a wet, slippy descent through the woods into Roncesvalles. In 2015, I crossed exactly 1 month earlier in glorious sunshine with great views and arrived in Roncesvalles 7 hours later which included an early lunch at Orrison and a leisurely alfresco picnic after the Thibault Cross.
The most likely problem you will encounter is muscle/ joint soreness or blisters and sensible, gradual training is the best way to avoid this. Some of the road climbing is indeed quite steep but it's not a race so if feeling tired then stop for a couple of minutes, take a few pictures ( never forgetting to enjoy the views of the climbing you have already done ). By Orrison ( about 8 kms after St J P de P ) you have already done over half your climbing for the day so after a pleasant break you can resume with the knowledge that the gradient eases noticeably for the remainder of your climb before the descent into Roncesvalles.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4963657731513&l=cd462d831f

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4963660571584&l=2985a3bc42

Buen camino

Seamus

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks

CaminoMatt

I just got back from my first Camino. I have M.S. and walked from St. Jean. It's a hard climb in areas but well worth it. The views are amazing...you won't regret it.
Buen Camino

I just got back from my first Camino. I have M.S. and walked from St. Jean. It's a hard climb in areas but well worth it. The views are amazing...you won't regret it.
Buen Camino
Hi Penny, those first day's where my favorite day's to.
Wish you well, Peter.

Buen Camino

Penny,

Congratulations on your success!
Your tenacity and determination are outstanding! Now is the time for you to enjoy your memories.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

While not a particularly far hike, 24km out of the 900 odd Km to Finnisterra, facing the hill on the first day, is certainly daunting. For me personally, that first day’s walk has tremendous psychological importance. When starting out, it seems impossible that one can manage to walk all the way up the steep slopes, following the road that seems to go on for ever. Once over the hill, nothing seems impossible, and, I found, that it is possible to enjoy the experience, secure in the Knowledge that ones body, in spite of the trials and tribulations to come, is capable of meeting the test.

I have been over the Hill on two occasions, both Camino’s starting at more or less the same time, about May 20th . On both occasions, I was fortunate to be accompanied by my brother, Derek van Rensburg. Being a veteran of numerous Camino’s, Derek is a vast walking encyclopaedia of all things Camino, with untold snippets of information on Spain, it’s history, culture, cuisine and architecture.

On the first occasion, the weather was brilliant, clear sunny skies, and after a hard slog, I was rewarded by a fantastic view over the countryside from the summit. The long walk up the hill was, for a not very fit novice pilgrim, probably one of the hardest things that I had done for a long time. Again, Derek’s encouragement, and wry comments, interspersed with interesting historical footnotes, went a long way to motivating me, and keeping one foot moving ahead of the other. Sitting on the summit, and enjoying a repast of bread, cheese and Jamon, I felt a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. I had just done something that I had had serious doubts, of my ability to do. This feeling of accomplishment was to stand me in good stead during the weeks ahead. After lasing in the sunshine, we set off on the last leg of our days journey, and a short downward walk later, I arrived at the old refuge at Roncesvallis.

On my second Camino, we left St. Jean in the dark on a still cool morning. As we followed the road higher and higher up the Hill, we notices ominous signs of mist closing in, accompanied with a marked drop in temperature.

clip_image002.jpg

The higher we went, the more the weather closed in, and visibility declined, to the point of about a one meter visibility radius, and a cold steady Scotch Mist. As our strides, and walking tempo differed, a gap slowly opened between Derek and I, with Derek being the faster walker, slowly pulling ahead. Following the yellow arrows became more and more difficult as the mist closed in, restricting visibility. Becoming disorientated by the lack of visibility, I lost sense of time and distance, and had no idea how far I was from the summit.

As the road steepened, I walked in a zig-zag pattern to ease the strain on my legs. While zigging across the road, I missed Derek waiting at the turn-off, and kept on going higher. Finally I realised that, not only were there no pilgrims in sight, or sound of me, but that I seemed to have run out of road. Retracing my path, I literally walked into a concerned Derek, having walked right passed him, having missed him in the mist on the way up.

clip_image004.jpg

We arrived at Roncesvallis in driving rain, and found that the new refuge, run by the Dutch, was certainly more comfortable than the old.

Thinking about things, I believe that that first day’s journey encompasses the whole Camino experience into a single day’s journey. The experience, to most Pilgrims, is new. The demands of the first day, on untried bodies, often with very little practical experience and training, are daunting. It is almost as if all the emotions of the Camino are compressed into that single experience.

Into the unknown, hardship that must simply be endured, the satisfaction of achieving what you thought you may not be able to do, the comradeship of fellow pilgrims, and the triumphant arrival at Roncesvallis

Yes, the Way is long, there will be moments of doubt, moments of soul searching, of blisters and strain, but also moments of Joy, of friends made for life, and finally, when the route is done, of memories that return. Of an accomplishment made.

All of this is encapsulated in that first days walk, the walk over the Hill.

Photos; Derek van Rensburg

1st Photo First signs of encroaching mist

2nd Photo Mist now stronger, turning to rain
that was a beautiful description Errol unfortunately, for some reason, the photos would not show but thanks for sharing.. hope I do not get lost in the mist, regards, olgaeveraert

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back