• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dangers of Walking Poles

KenProudler

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Walking Poles are a wonderful accessory, and I get the feeling that some pilgrims are buying and using them for the first time. Good for you. A few words of caution, however: Never put your hands completely through the loops, which I have seen many people do. If you have your hands through the loops, and you stumble and fall, you may be unable to get your hands free. With your hands trapped, and the poles firmly in the ground, you could easily suffer dislocated or fractured shoulders, elbows or wrists in what would otherwise just be a fall to the ground. One way to avoid this is to put your four fingers through the loop then clasp the pole, keeping your thumb outside of the loop. This will allow you to take some weight off your legs and knees whilst still being able to free your hands if you fall. I'm a seasoned mountain walker, in Scotland, Northern England and Wales, and I am looking forward to my first Camino in April.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or, better yet in my opinion, get Pacer Poles from England! They have comfortable molded left and right handles, no loops needed.

And virtually no learning curve, which is what attracted me in the first place. Gear junkie that I am, I own both the 3 section carbon and 2 section alloy and the new ones that offer the dual lock system are on their way.

For those who have not used poles before the above is only partially true. On long "easy" walks then you should have hands up though the straps thus using the straps themselves to give some of the support, and take the strain away from your wrists, when there is a danger of slips then take hands out of straps altogether, or use as above. A good training document is at

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3375
I believe at any time, on any walk the straps should not be used. You can fall over on any terrain and the poles leaving your body, offer the the least chance of being impailed. I'm no authority on the matter, having listend to people who are, this was there general advice. Heard some horror stories about poles breaking and inflicting horrible injuries. Wild

As I will not be able to take poles on the plane, is there a place to purchase Pacer Poles before we begin walking?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As I will not be able to take poles on the plane, is there a place to purchase Pacer Poles before we begin walking?

If you are starting from Saint Jean Pied de Port you can purchase poles at Direction Compostelle/Boutique du Pelerin.

See more on their web--
http://www.boutique-du-pelerin.com/en/

Use their contact link to ask details of what is available.

Check out this earlier Forum post also.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/purchasing-walking-poles-in-st-jean-pdp.35663/

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can buy poles in sjpd and many other city's, towns and villages through out all the Caminos.Don't get to hung up on makes, model etc. My first Camino poles were £5 bogof! Cheap as chips. The more expensive ones I've purchased, if there was a difference, then it was lost on me. If I've had a particular attachment to any poles it's been sentimental. On my latest Camino, I actually purchased two sets and returned home with none. Left one set in an empty pension (after posting the key) the other set I intentionally left out side the Santiago cathedral. I've even had them consficated from my hold luggage. The luggage handler was probably annoyed by the fact they were strapped to the out side of my Bergen. Now, I buy them at the start and accept they won't be coming home! To much hassle. Enjoy your walk.wild

It sounds as if buying equipment in SJPT is an easy solution to travelling woes. Are their prices more expensive ?

Walking Poles are a wonderful accessory, and I get the feeling that some pilgrims are buying and using them for the first time. Good for you. A few words of caution, however: Never put your hands completely through the loops, which I have seen many people do. If you have your hands through the loops, and you stumble and fall, you may be unable to get your hands free. With your hands trapped, and the poles firmly in the ground, you could easily suffer dislocated or fractured shoulders, elbows or wrists in what would otherwise just be a fall to the ground. One way to avoid this is to put your four fingers through the loop then clasp the pole, keeping your thumb outside of the loop. This will allow you to take some weight off your legs and knees whilst still being able to free your hands if you fall. I'm a seasoned mountain walker, in Scotland, Northern England and Wales, and I am looking forward to my first Camino in April.
This is the worst advice on pole use that I have seen for many years. There are at least two reasons why I say this:
  1. First, not using the pole straps correctly, ie with your hands completely through them, will mean that should you trip and stumble the poles will be substantially less assistance to you in recovering your balance. Why? Because without the support of the straps, your only option will be to grasp the pole firmly. If you think about this, you will realize that not only will this require much more strength in your wrists and arms, but it will also require superb reaction times.
  2. Second, I suggest that walkers are less likely to fall and stumble in ways that would generate sufficient force to dislocate or fracture their bones than, for example, cross country skiers, who do reach speeds where pole related injuries occur. Indeed, if the fall was going to involve an impact with the force that would result in these injuries with a pole, then there is going to be a significant risk of injury without a pole, or with the pole used incorrectly. Any pole is going to help recover one's balance, and in doing so help avoid the injury. Alternatively, if the fall cannot be avoided, proper use of the strap is more likely to reduce the forces associated with the fall significantly, and even when balance cannot be recovered, reduce the risks of injury, not aggravate those risks.
I am aware that this is an anecdote, and not evidence, but in the one case about which I am personally aware on the camino, the person involved stumbled coming down the hill just before Zubiri. The forces on the pole were sufficient to bend the centre pole section - a result the local distributer claimed was impossible until they saw the pole. This person did sustain minor wrist injuries, which cleared up over the next few days. He believes that he would have sustained far more severe injuries had he not been using the poles straps properly.

@KenProudler, while I have not looked at more recent data, when I researched this a couple of years ago, I could not find any evidence that walkers using poles were suffering the sorts of injuries you are suggesting. The injury reports that I did find were from cross country and downhill skiing accidents, not walking. If you have any information that this has changed, perhaps you could share that information with us.

Finally, for the Pacer pole fraternity, let me suggest that in the absence of any evidence, this is just scaremongering. It does you no credit to jump on this as a reason to suggest Pacer poles have some supposed advantages.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nordic walking poles which I use a lot at home worked just fine for me on the Camino. These have a right and left cuff and the cuffs are need for Nordic walking technique.

Scaremongering?? I read so much on this forum about proper use vs improper use of poles that I was totally confused. I read; I watched YouTube videos; I practiced, and still didn't get the hang of it. I don't hold pacers up as being any better at doing the job that poles are meant to do, but I do believe that they make it more difficult to use improperly.

I don't hold pacers up as being any better at doing the job that poles are meant to do, but I do believe that they make it more difficult to use improperly.
And I have consistently and regularly said that the handle design, which makes the pole intuitive to use, is a real advantage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've used poles for skiing and hiking for more than 30 years and always had my hands through the loops. While I've fallen rarely hiking I have fallen a large number of times skiing, usually at good speeds on steep slopes. I've broken a few poles from landing on them but have never had an injury from having my hand through the loops.

One of the great attributes of trekking poles is leveraging your upper body parts to move across the terrain, up or down or sideways. A properly adjusted strap gives a great deal more power than if you were hand gripping them alone. This is one of their primary purposes. If straps created injuries I would hazard a guess that manufacturers would have done away with them decades ago or gone under from numerous lawsuits.

Final thought: walking the Camino entails walking on mostly level trails and country roads from village to village. If we were trekking to Everest Base Camp maybe this would be a different discussion :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people argued against car seat belts in the early days, citing the rare cases where seat belt use was blamed for a worse injury. That can happen, but it is much more common that seat belts save lives.

I normally use the straps on my poles because I think the benefits outweight the risks. However, I have occasionally removed the straps in circumstances where I think my risk of falling is significantly greater than my need for the regular walking support - for example, have a look at this photo. (OK - Maybe I was posing a bit for the camera, but you get the idea!) In those situations, I might even put both poles in the same hand so that I have my other hand free. It really depends on the circumstances.

Attachments

• 2016-04-02-23-16-501.jpg
    2016-04-02-23-16-501.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 175
I find it is essential to put both hands through the straps. Done correctly, much of the pressure is relieved on your hands and spread to the wrist and forearm. If I had to tightly grip the handle with my hands I'd end up with lots of blisters. As for going downhill on slippery surfaces, I saw an excellent video that promoted moving your hands to the tip of the handle, putting it in the palm of your hands, then placing the pole down in front of you. I find this technique works well. I make sure that my pole is properly placed before taking a step forward. This way I know I'm secure. I believe proper use of poles can prevent way more falls and injuries than they cause.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Are you sure about not being able to take your pole Jo?

It could be a US regulation but I've flown many times from Australia to Europe and my poles are folded down but in the rear slots of my backpack. Happy trails, Tony

Are you sure about not being able to take your pole Jo?

It could be a US regulation but I've flown many times from Australia to Europe and my poles are folded down but in the rear slots of my backpack. Happy trails, Tony
You can take them from Canada. You can't take them back from Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't comment on the mechanics, because I am not an engineer. I can give my own experience. I always put my hands up through the loops, properly, so that my wrist rests on the strap and I do not need to grasp the handle tightly. Without poles I have fallen numerous times. Real face plants. Facial injuries, knee and hip injuries, once a broken ankle. With poles I have never fallen. Occasionally I lose my balance, but the poles have always saved me.

The best thing I find about poles is when going down hill. It eases the pressure on knees and ankles and can save you from rolling to the left or right off a down hill sloping trail. When I first started trekking I was oblivious to the fact that when you start to fall, while you can save yourself, a 12 kg backpack wants to keep going! Happy trails

This is the worst advice on pole use that I have seen for many years. There are at least two reasons why I say this:
  1. First, not using the pole straps correctly, ie with your hands completely through them, will mean that should you trip and stumble the poles will be substantially less assistance to you in recovering your balance. Why, because without the support of the straps, your only option will be to grasp the pole firmly. If you think about this, you will realize that not only will this require much more strength in your wrists and arms, but it will also require superb reaction times.
  2. Second, I suggest that walkers are less likely to fall and stumble in ways that would generate sufficient force to dislocate or fracture their bones than, for example, cross country skiers, who do reach speeds where pole related injuries occur. Indeed, if the fall was going to involve an impact with the force that would result in these injuries with a pole, then there is going to be a significant risk of injury without a pole, or with the pole used incorrectly. Any pole is going to help recover one's balance, and in doing so help avoid the injury. Alternatively, if the fall cannot be avoided, proper use of the strap is more likely to reduce the forces associated with the fall significantly, and even when balance cannot be recovered, reduce the risks of injury, not aggravate those risks.
I am aware that this is an anecdote, and not evidence, but in the one case about which I am personally aware on the camino, the person involved stumbled coming down the hill just before Zubiri. The forces on the pole were sufficient to bend the centre pole section - a result the local distributer claimed was impossible until they saw the pole. This person did sustain minor wrist injuries, which cleared up over the next few days. He believes that he would have sustained far more severe injuries had he not been using the poles straps properly.

@KenProudler, while I have not looked at more recent data, when I researched this a couple of years ago, I could not find any evidence that walkers using poles were suffering the sorts of injuries you are suggesting. The injury reports that I did find were from cross country and downhill skiing accidents, not walking. If you have any information that this has changed, perhaps you could share that information with us.

Finally, for the Pacer pole fraternity, let me suggest that in the absence of any evidence, this is just scaremongering. It does you no credit to jump on this as a reason to suggest Pacer poles have some supposed advantages.
So are you suggesting poles reduce your risk of falling over, slipping etc. At times they can aid balance, either going up or down hill. In general there deign is mainly weight bearing. Ankles, knees, hips etc. Reducing stress to previous ailments or preventing longer term injuries. If I didn't have injuries, I wouldn't use poles. Off course that's a personal choice! Taking a bad falls involves a few variables. Age,fitness, luck etc. Every ones opinions differ, but I'd always be inclined to walk, wrists out off the straps. During my worst tumbles.... my instincts telling me stretch your arms, protect your head. This must be more difficult when the poles remain attached to your extremities. Wild

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This must be more difficult when the poles remain attached to your extremities.
On the contrary, having your hands already extended by the poles will allow you to protect yourself earlier than you might otherwise without them. Of course, it is still possible to flail around and not make the situation any better, but it that is your inclination, poles wouldn't have helped much anyhow.

I'm a newbie to this site so didn't want to enter a discussion where there seems to be a lot of emotional energy flying around. However, I'm with Ivar. I've been doing long distance trekking for over 20 years and poles are a God send. They have saved my bacon on many occasions, including on down hill slopes where lose gravel or early morning ice turns a trail into a skating rink. And, I always put my hands up through the loop from the bottom before grasping the handle. Plus, in a hot and sweaty environment, on very steep areas, it's easy to lose your grip and if the pole isn't attached in some way you can watch it drift into a gully or over the edge of a cliff - goodbye pole! Finally, if you take lots of photos it's so much easier to let the poles dangle from your wrists, reach for the camera, replace the camera and grab your pols and continue walking. Resting them agains your hip is another great way to lose your poles or spend a lot of time bending over to pick them up because Sod's law says, 'every walking pole should fall over'! Well, that's my two bobs worth. Happy trails.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And virtually no learning curve, which is what attracted me in the first place. Gear junkie that I am, I own both the 3 section carbon and 2 section alloy and the new ones that offer the dual lock system are on their way.
Do the 3 section poles hold up to pounding. I walk fast and pound the poles into the deck. Would they stand up to this sort of use. The foldaway length appeal to me but I am worried about their capacity for punishment.

Toothbrushes can be dangerous. Head snaps off sharp end jams through back of mouth and severs brain stem. Lego is a killer - makes you fall down stairs and land on top of babies. Peanut butter. Trees. Breathing.

Do the 3 section poles hold up to pounding. I walk fast and pound the poles into the deck. Would they stand up to this sort of use. The foldaway length appeal to me but I am worried about their capacity for punishment.

Brian, the 3 part carbon did fail for me once and I had to order a new piece. After that I was a bit gun-shy about taking them apart as it seemed like I had to twist and twist to get them together. That's when I bought the two piece. They haven't failed at all, BUT they are longer than I like when they are broken down. Those are the reasons I've ordered the new dual locks. I think that they will be more packable like my original 3 piece but hopefully more reliable for putting together....Cherie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds as if buying equipment in SJPT is an easy solution to travelling woes. Are their prices more expensive ?
Hi sitges54,

I had a great dinner a few years ago at Sitges across from the beach. Loved Barcelona.

The hiking gear shop at SJPDP seemed very good to me, I've only been there once. They're incredibly busy, so it might be unwise to count on them for something crucial, you might discover that what you need is out of stock. If by the time you get to Pamplona you need something, there's a great shop in the old town there called Caminoteca.

Buen Camino, - Mike

@brian560, I have worn out five sets of sprung poles over the years. The mechanism that fails is the spring itself, other than in one case where the locking mechanism on an Altus pole failed when it was overtightened. I have never had an unsprung pole fail on me. So I think you are right to be cautious, but at the same time, a reputable pole should last much more than a single camino, even if it is used hard.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've used the same set of cork gripped, spin-lock, aluminum telescoping 3-part Leki poles for years and they have never been maintained and never failed me yet. I'll also say that I'm part of the 'big ole boy' club so put some decent strain on those sticks!

I will also say that I'm very reluctant to replace them with the newer 'quick lock' style. Equipment reps have shown me how much strength they have but my old Leki's work just fine so why change?! But maybe time for a little well deserved maintenance... :rolleyes:

I will also say that I'm very reluctant to replace them with the newer 'quick lock' style. Equipment reps have shown me how much strength they have but my old Leki's work just fine so why change?! But maybe time for a little well deserved maintenance... :rolleyes:
I have an older pair of Leki poles, not sprung, with a twist lock mechanism, but the others that I am using now all have flick locks of various styles. All these mechanisms have adjusters, and while they don't need to be maintained very often, there will eventually be a time when they do. Some can can be adjusted by hand, but others need a small, flat or Phillips head screwdriver.

I have Black Diamond 3-section flip-lock poles. I want them to get to minimal size for packing. Very robust, feel as though they'll last forever. Maybe the trick with flip-lock poles is to use the flip-locks as infrequently as possible - I only shorten the poles when on a flight so flips get very little wear and tear. I absolutely can't bear even the thought of squeaky-clacky shock absorber poles. The noise drives me psychotic and I start killing. Sorry, got carried away.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used to walk with just one pole to get balance on hills, but I suffered with sciatica (my eldesr son, now 45, sat on my sciatic nerve when I was pregnant!). When I started using two poles it was magic - no more sciatica! My Leki poles fold now enough to fit in my rucksack for flights, cable ties are usful to make sure poles and rucksack don't part company. And rubber tips are essential to prevent driving fellow walkers crazy (like Mike above)!

I got a pole stuck in a hole once when going down a very steep hill. very painful shoulder as a result - the strap was round my wrist and I couldn't let go. Have always removed the straps from my poles since

Good suggestion. I tried with my poles here in N Michigan and it works. Might even try to adapt this for cross country skiing, at least on the flat areas

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a great dialogue! Allow me to add my two cents worth...well, perhaps four-cents worth...

I use Leki 3-section twist-adjust poles, and Black Diamond 3-section twist and clip poles. I ALWAYS use the hand loops as this is a key part of the weight transfer capability from the rucksack on my back to my legs. I still do not understand the biomechanics of it, but I do know it WORKS!

Somehow, using the loops also relieves any shoulder or back strain. I believe another member commented on the positive effects of using the loops and two poles on her sciatica...ouch!

On flat to rolling terrain, the safety hazard mentioned above is not a factor when falling. I know this because I can fall over anywhere at any time...wonky knees... Also, on the one occasion that I needed a pole to fend off an aggressive dog, having my hand in the loop allowed me to swing the pole up, smoothly and fast.

However, I do remove my hands from the loops on ALL DOWNHILL segments not on paved surfaces, like a farm road. I cup my hands over the top of the poles to better use the poles as brakes to prevent gravity from hurling me down the hill...and it WILL! Once at the bottom, my hands return to the loops.

BTW, I am known to be clumsy... Also, I DO know that given my body composition, shape and weight, the extra 11-12 kg on my back makes me top-heavy.

Finally, to attenuate perspiration, enhance grip, and reduce friction, I wear fingerless fishing gloves made of beige or light grey microfiber. They are very lightweight. The fabric has an SPF 50 value. And, the palms have tiny 3-4mm diameter grippy dots on them.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am an experienced hiker and have used poles for years -- with hands in the loops for many reasons already stated. I have fallen a few times, most recently on a trail with wet, slippery leaves. I have never gotten my poles caught. I do know of a person who broke her wrist when her poles got caught in a fall.

But I know a lot of people who have broken or sprained bones/tissue without poles, or when poles were not a factor in their injuries.

So, again, 'one size does not fit all'. We do the best we can!

I have Black Diamond 3-section flip-lock poles. I want them to get to minimal size for packing. Very robust, feel as though they'll last forever. Maybe the trick with flip-lock poles is to use the flip-locks as infrequently as possible - I only shorten the poles when on a flight so flips get very little wear and tear. I absolutely can't bear even the thought of squeaky-clacky shock absorber poles. The noise drives me psychotic and I start killing. Sorry, got carried away.

Mike
I have the Black Diamond ZPOLE too and put it inside my backpack as cabin luggage. In years flying between New Zealand and Europe with lots of different airlines this has never been a problem and the poles have lasted really well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have the Black Diamond ZPOLE too and put it inside my backpack as cabin luggage. In years flying between New Zealand and Europe with lots of different airlines this has never been a problem and the poles have lasted really well.
I have used pacer poles for years and love them to bits BUT I recently discovered that the twist lock is not working for me. I think this is age (78 and 79 July) and I am simply losing the strength to tighten them correctly! This became a problem for me last April when N. Spain was becoming a swamp! I thought I was falling down holes when it was simply the pole slowly sliding down because it was loose! As temperature also affects the poles it can mean you have to adjust the poles eg tighten them periodically over the course of the day. Paradoxically the cheap flip lock poles I bought in Seville ( store Cortes Ingles) worked perfectly and never let me down. I still have them as back up as my Pacer poles got stolen! I have bought new Pacer poles as I like the dedicated hand grips. With Menieres disease for me its not a case of if IF I fall but WHEN and I need to be able to let go poles in order to "splay" :) when I hit the ground.! After the tipping point of 45 degrees that rucksack on your back will make sure you are going to keep going downwards. Its gravity! Any time I have been seen flailing around desperately trying to keep my balance has been seen as a comic diversion for the onlookers! :) I also use cyclist gloves with a hard leather pad to lessen the shock when I eventually hit the floor! :)
I am off for another slice of the vdlp in May and will pack my Pacers as I think their multiple advantages outweigh any perceived disadvantages! :)

Buen camino y Vaya con Dios.

The Malingerer

I can only speak from my personal experience and I don't know enough about the mechanics etc about walking with poles. That's why I paid for two lessons before my first Camino, by a physiotherapist with the correct experience. In my case, my injuries resulting from a car accident were to be considered, hence technique to reduce strain and tiredness throughout the shoulders, back and arms. So as it turned out, it was a mixture of information about Nordic Walking and trekking. I've also looked at some of the many videos online and taken from them what I needed to be reminded about. I think re: hand grip there's a difference in whether you put your hand into the grip, from under/over, that probably makes a big difference in what happens to your wrist/thumb if you had a fall.
Also, walking/trekking is great for bone density, and strengthening muscles to protect joints etc, when done regularly, however many, including myself, took up the activity more consistently later in life. Therefore those with less bone density are more likely to have a fracture as a result of a fall, even a simple fall. Considerations of the individuals.....maybe what works for one, may not work for another, but general points particularly about how to place hand into the grip, may make a huge difference.

Our poles, which were titanium retractables, reduced in size to about 24 inches which we then put in our backpacks and checked our packs as luggage. We flew from USA to France and then from Spain, back for a UK stop over and then back into the US. Never had a problem doing it that way. I hope this helps Buen Camino !!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used pacer poles for years and love them to bits BUT I recently discovered that the twist lock is not working for me. I think this is age (78 and 79 July) and I am simply losing the strength to tighten them correctly! This became a problem for me last April when N. Spain was becoming a swamp! I thought I was falling down holes when it was simply the pole slowly sliding down because it was loose! As temperature also affects the poles it can mean you have to adjust the poles eg tighten them periodically over the course of the day. Paradoxically the cheap flip lock poles I bought in Seville ( store Cortes Ingles) worked perfectly and never let me down. I still have them as back up as my Pacer poles got stolen! I have bought new Pacer poles as I like the dedicated hand grips. With Menieres disease for me its not a case of if IF I fall but WHEN and I need to be able to let go poles in order to "splay" :) when I hit the ground.! After the tipping point of 45 degrees that rucksack on your back will make sure you are going to keep going downwards. Its gravity! Any time I have been seen flailing around desperately trying to keep my balance has been seen as a comic diversion for the onlookers! :) I also use cyclist gloves with a hard leather pad to lessen the shock when I eventually hit the floor! :)
I am off for another slice of the vdlp in May and will pack my Pacers as I think their multiple advantages outweigh any perceived disadvantages! :)

Buen camino y Vaya con Dios.

The Malingerer
Pacer Poles have now come out with a new design with lever locks!

Our poles, which were titanium retractables, reduced in size to about 24 inches which we then put in our backpacks and checked our packs as luggage. We flew from USA to France and then from Spain, back for a UK stop over and then back into the US. Never had a problem doing it that way. I hope this helps Buen Camino !!!
The 3 section carbon fiber Pacer Poles break down to 54cm/21.26inch.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
  1. First, not using the pole straps correctly, ie with your hands completely through them, will mean that should you trip and stumble the poles will be substantially less assistance to you in recovering your balance. Why? Because without the support of the straps, your only option will be to grasp the pole firmly. If you think about this, you will realize that not only will this require much more strength in your wrists and arms, but it will also require superb reaction times.

However, I do remove my hands from the loops on ALL DOWNHILL segments not on paved surfaces, like a farm road. I cup my hands over the top of the poles to better use the poles as brakes to prevent gravity from hurling me down the hill...and it WILL!
I have seen this technique described, but prefer to lengthen my poles and leave my wrists in the straps. My view is that it is both easier to place the pole tip accurately that way, and retain the benefits of using the strap. I expect that if you practice the using the hand over the top of the pole, placing accuracy will improve.

I got a pole stuck in a hole once when going down a very steep hill. very painful shoulder as a result - the strap was round my wrist and I couldn't let go. Have always removed the straps from my poles since
Let me understand this. You put the pole tip down a hole, perhaps because your descent speed didn't allow you to check exactly where you were putting the tip, where the tip got stuck, and you are now blaming the wrist straps?

I've been using Pacer Poles (PPs), hands through loops, since 2015 on mostly flat dirt surfaces and find them quite comfortable. I'm sure the poles one chooses is a personal preference so I'm not going to claim knowledge of one being better than another. However, in warm (humid) weather I have found the PPs lock-in hand perspiration which is uncomfortable and a potential gripping/ slippage issue. Has anyone used a mesh / biking glove to allow better air flow? If so, any glove brand you might recommend. Other drying suggestions welcome.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been using Pacer Poles (PPs), hands through loops, since 2015 on mostly flat dirt surfaces and find them quite comfortable. I'm sure the poles one chooses is a personal preference so I'm not going to claim knowledge of one being better than another. However, in warm (humid) weather I have found the PPs lock-in hand perspiration which is uncomfortable and a potential gripping/ slippage issue. Has anyone used a mesh / biking glove to allow better air flow? If so, any glove brand you might recommend. Other drying suggestions welcome.
I use a fingerless glove that is made of suede with a lycra back and a tough, rubber-like palm grip. The ones I am using at present are -->> https://sunprotection.com.au/product/sports-gloves/, but I have seen other makes on the market.

Let me understand this. You put the pole tip down a hole, perhaps because your descent speed didn't allow you to check exactly where you were putting the tip, where the tip got stuck, and you are now blaming the wrist straps?

Yes. Unfortunately the steepness of the path meant I couldn't strim and mow the vegetation that made it impossible to see where I was putting my feet / poles before I started my descent.

A number of people who walk 'professionally' like Chris Townsend and Sectionhiker either cut the straps off or don't use them. I was only giving my experience as I wouldn't want someone to damage a shoulder on the Camino. Thank you for your sympathy.

As usual @dougfitz is spot on here. It is essential to correctly us the wrist straps and not doing so, frankly, makes using poles pointless. I have used poles since they first became generally available and swear by them; I have many friends who use them and have seen them being used in Mountain areas and on trekking routes throughput Europe and have never seen nor heard of the type of accident described, I've seen plenty of bent and broken poles though. Do use poles, they really are tremendously beneficial but take time to choose what are best for you and learn to use them in the way they are designed to be used; you'll never regret it.

Not about the dangers of poles, but I wanted to reiterate what someone posted on this thread that I thought was brilliant. If you decide later on in your Camino that you wish you had poles, ask at the albergues for some that may have been left behind (maybe been there for more than a few days, when the original owner is less likely to come back looking for them). You may not get Pacer Poles or whichever specific brand you wanted, but you absolutely will get some poles. I nearly left mine behind several times. I *did* leave my electric plug adapter behind a few times and always got a new one from the next hospitalera, who had a few from others who had left them behind

I use a fingerless glove that is made of suede with a lycra back and a tough, rubber-like palm grip. The ones I am using at present are -->> https://sunprotection.com.au/product/sports-gloves/, but I have seen other makes on the market.
Thank you ... and t2andreo. Your comments / link pushed me to check-out the cycling gloves I have. They are fingerless, with a mesh back and the usual padded palm. What I hadn't noticed in the past are the palm gel pads are raised, individually perforated (for heat release?) and separated by long grooves. They are a few years older so I looked to see if this or last year's models are the same. This link provides good back and palm side photos of my glove updated. I may buy these as I can then use them for cycling also. I'm in North Carolina (USA) ... I have opportunities (warmer / humid days) to test the cooling and ventilation properties of these gloves. Thanks again for your responses.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho...gloves/Men's_P.R.O._Gel_Vent_Glove/p/14141602

Last edited:
I have seen this technique described, but prefer to lengthen my poles and leave my wrists in the straps. My view is that it is both easier to place the pole tip accurately that way, and retain the benefits of using the strap. I expect that if you practice the using the hand over the top of the pole, placing accuracy will improve.

Ultimately, each pilgrim must experiment and go with the solution that best fits their comfort level, experience, capabilities, and inherent balance characteristics. I do not criticize anyone for doing it "their way." I merely offer my solution, with the rationale

My way works for me. That is what matters. If someone else benefits by trying something they may have not considered, it is all good.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Been there, done that. I got tripped up in my trekking poles last summer on the John Muir Trail, in California, and am still trying to get one spranged finger back to normal.

One long day during my trek, I planned to camp by a lake that was almost 12,000 feet in elevation. This particular day was going to be another eighteen miles of hiking. Later that afternoon I met an older gentleman (older than me, at least) coming down the same trail I was headed up. We offered the usual greetings, and he asked where I planned to camp that night. After hearing of my planned destination, he asked if I had hiked this portion of the trail before (that should have been a warning sign!). I replied that I had not since this was my first JMT. He remarked that the next few miles were “a bitch.” Hoping for a different reality, I told myself he must have been a negative type: the whole trail is hard if you looked at it the way he did. WRONG. The man was not negative—he was coarsely stating the obvious. That short section of just a few miles is unusually rugged and was a lot of work for weary legs at the end of a long day.

As I neared my destination, the trail made a quick turn to the right along a dry streambed. As I was looking around to see where the track led, I got tripped up in my trekking poles and did a pounding face-plant into the rocks. This all hurt so bad—you know, that traumatic shock!—that I thought it possibly the end of my journey right then and there.

Slowly, I recovered enough to do a self-assessment: sprained fingers and a wrist, scraped knees, and something quite askew with my face. (I’ll save your sensibilities by not including the iPhone selfies I took of that facial injury!) I rinsed everything and felt about to see how bad the injury might be, finding a hole with my tongue on the inside of my lip and a hole with my finger on the outside. Did I have a hole through my lip? How am I going to blow up my air mattress with a hole in my lip? Fortunately, the hole did not go all the way through, the injury did not end my trip, and the damage did eventually heal.

To offset this painful and, I’ll be honest, embarrassing event, that night was so very quiet, eerily calm, and sublime—it was beyond imagining. I wrote of that night in my journal the next morning:

“Last night, no sound whatsoever. No ripple slap on the shoreline of the glass-smooth lake. Not even the smallest itinerant breath of air to rustle my abode. No bird or rodent sounds. Nothing. The creatures appreciated as much as I did those surreal night hours when it was so quiet and the evening’s darkness was so keen. There was no light pollution at all. The celestial brilliance of the stars could only ever be overshadowed by the nearly overwhelming quiet, the freakish calm of that night.”

Yes, it's a similar injury for skiers. Often referred to as "skiers thumb". My personal solution is to put my hands all the way through the loops so the poles are essentially hanging from my wrists. There are some hazards with this as well. But for someone like me who is constantly dropping my poles, it works well enough.

Ha! I'm going to contradict obinjatoo, simply because the forum is one of the few places in life where you can get away with nicely expressing an opinion! And goodness knows, poles are a highly controversial and opinionated topic. :eek:

I ski almost daily and never wear pole straps. The injury mentioned above is also known as a "gamekeepers' thumb" (ugh, from gamekeepers breaking bunny necks and damaging their ulnar collateral ligament or UCL from the repetitive movement). If the UCL is completely torn, it needs to be surgically repaired, unless one wants a dangling thumb. It's one of the most common ski injuries, sometimes has an associated avulsion fracture and definitely more frequently seen here in those wearing pole straps. But....that's skiers. There's a lot of force and velocity when tumbling at higher speeds.

When nordic skiing, I always wear pole straps. Put them on from the bottom (Yay, obinjatoo! We agree!) and push down on the straps in the glide to get more leverage and force. Falls are less likely so no worry about straps here.

When hiking...I walk uphill, nordic style. It helps to push down on the strap to get a bit more momentum and to take some load off. But downhill....for me and only IMHO....no straps, never, no how, no way. A couple of years ago, my husband and I were coming off a peak in torrential rain and sleet. He was using straps, missed a pole plant on slick slate and went down, dislocating his shoulder in the process. It wouldn't pop back in so it was a slow and miserable six mile hike out to the nearest road to get help. This is why I always carry an Ace bandage with me. Good emergency binding for knees, ankles and the occasional wobbly shoulder.

By the way, that day ended with a fifty mile cab ride to an ER, lots of hallucinogenic drugs (for him), wine (for me) and the loss of a couple days of vacation. He won't touch poles now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Earlier in this tread someone said they won't allow poles on the plane. Does that mean that you can't even check them in as baggage? I love my carbon fiber poles and don't want to give them up. How can I get them to my destination?

+1 for hands in the straps and Black Diamond click and twist poles. I have tripped over them when you have clout across the leg.
The mechanics are that in the straps the body weight is assisted more.
I fly with mine putting them in wrapped in cardboard and some clothes around them and place them in my backpack.
It is possible to put pacer pole rubbers on hiking poles if a lot of road walking is ahead.
I see many people not using poles to best advantage, i.e shorten them to go on steep uphills and use the arms to lift your body to help the quads lifting you uphill-especially good on steps. On steep downhills lengthen the poles and place, and hold, more ahead to again help the quad muscles by taking some bodyweight on the arms. I guess there will be longer advice on YouTube.

Earlier in this tread someone said they won't allow poles on the plane. Does that mean that you can't even check them in as baggage? I love my carbon fiber poles and don't want to give them up. How can I get them to my destination?

They can definitely be checked. I make a cardboard box and check my poles, peanut butter, and sunscreen, carry on my pack and dispose of the cardboard after picking it up. Then I check it all in on the return flight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can buy poles in sjpd and many other city's, towns and villages through out all the Caminos.Don't get to hung up on makes, model etc. My first Camino poles were £5 bogof! Cheap as chips. The more expensive ones I've purchased, if there was a difference, then it was lost on me. If I've had a particular attachment to any poles it's been sentimental. On my latest Camino, I actually purchased two sets and returned home with none. Left one set in an empty pension (after posting the key) the other set I intentionally left out side the Santiago cathedral. I've even had them consficated from my hold luggage. The luggage handler was probably annoyed by the fact they were strapped to the out side of my Bergen. Now, I buy them at the start and accept they won't be coming home! To much hassle. Enjoy your walk.wild
A good response, don't get hung up over sticks, they're just an aid!! Amazing how many pilgrims I've met have either purchased or 'created' their own fashioned from sturdy stick or branch
K

Poles or no poles, one or two poles straps or no straps, twist lock or clip lock? What other discussion points should be have regarding poles whilst we've got a moment to spare. Cheap as chips or wallet busting carbon fibre? Personally I like the cork handled Blackdiamond with L and R on the straps!

I think you should experiment and see what works best for you! IHave been using Leki poles...various models...I do not use the straps! WE hike a lot in the mountains, sometimes on narrow terrain..getting the pole caught in a crack could throw off balance if hands are in the loops and be fatal...so I never use the loops when climbing. However there is not hard and fast rule...so experiment and see what works for you!

Doug,
I am relating first hand experience, not only of mine, but of a number of hi meter hiking folks. WHen on a rather narrow hi altitude ledge, but still enough room for the poles to assist with stability, I want the freedom to immediately separate myself from the pole..such as if the tips Gets caught in a small hole or entangled in brush while I am moving, one wants the option of letting go of the pole ( which may well result in the pole going off the ledge) in order for me to maintain balance!! Better the pole going over the edge than me being injured or worse! I doubt there is
Statistical info...but certainly not hyperbole!

getting the pole caught in a crack could throw off balance if hands are in the loops and be fatal

I am relating first hand experience, not only of mine, but of a number of hi meter hiking folks.
You are saying that your claim that using poles with one's wrists through the loops will be fatal is actual first hand experience, and that you have a lot of friends who have died this way as well? Are you writing from beyond the grave? I think you might accept the comparatively neutral view that it is hyperbole, because most Australians would have a more blunt assessment of this involving male bovines and excreta.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
NO, this is not what I stated...and I do not see the point in trying to respond to you because you seem bright enough to understand what I was relating!

Gittiharre, I am interested that you have struck no obstacles flying from NZ with poles. On my two caminos to date I have left my own common garden variety pole ( I use one) at home and bought an inexpensive pole on arrival in Spain - in SJPP and Madrid. For the trip from Wellington to Madrid I was flying with Etihad and had read on their website that hiking poles were not permitted on board. (The hiking umbrella I carried strapped to the outside of my pack was always carefully checked but accepted moving through various airport security checks, but I don't know how a pole would have gone).
Although I am not an expert pole-deployer, and have just worked out what seems to work for me, I have ended up using the leaning on the strap technique quite a bit to help uphill climbs, as well as the cup the hand over the top action for support at slippery times. I like to have one hand free - hence the single pole, and sometimes eg on flat easy road sections the pole is attached to my pack and not used at all.
On a lighter note, I find my pole is quite a versatile tool - also useful for entertainment purposes. During stretches of less scenic variety or later in a long day when I am tiring and rather "are we there yet-ish", I have sometimes amused myself by marching along and attempting to twirl it like a parade baton. This is best attempted while singing loudly - John Denver's "Take me home country road" works well - and out of sight and hearing of any other pilgrim (or living creature really).

On a lighter note, I find my pole is quite a versatile tool - also useful for entertainment purposes. During stretches of less scenic variety or later in a long day when I am tiring and rather "are we there yet-ish", I have sometimes amused myself by marching along and attempting to twirl it like a parade baton.
@Mark Lee, take note. You too can look forward to seeing one of these closet drum majors practicing their moves on the Camino!! They are wonderfully entertaining to watch.

Since I am still wearing my school teacher/ hall monitor hat, I will disagree with @dougfitz 's exaggerated interpretation of @Marbe2 's post. It seemed reasonable to me, that the risks of wearing straps or not wearing them, would be different when mountain climbing on a narrow path at the edge of a cliff, where a fall could indeed be fatal. That is not the situation on the camino. But with similar logic, I remove the straps when I don't need the propulsion and am at higher risk of falling (e.g. on a downhill slope of loose rock). That's what my instincts tell me to do, although it could be wrong.

I'm with you, Dougfitz. With hands properly through the straps, they provide additional support and also allow you to catch yourself w/ the poles if falling.

I will disagree with @dougfitz 's exaggerated interpretation of @Marbe2 's post.
I'm sorry, I am just amused by the fact that @Marbe2 stated that his assertion that keeping his wrists in the loop could be fatal was based on personal experience. Not my words. Not an interpretation. Just @Marbe2's own words.

An interpretation would be that, if indeed, @Marbe2 is walking so close to a cliff edge that he at risk of falling if he loses balance, that would be the time to take extra care not to get one's pole tips stuck, or avoid any of a number of other unsafer approaches to the path. Alternatively, he could make a pre-emptive application for the Darwin Awards.

As for this being even closely related to the conditions on the Camino, it isn't. And on that basis, I think any advice based on the scenario presented is irrelevant in the conditions that people can expect.

Last edited:
My husband had an anterior shoulder dislocation because his pole caught in rock as he slipped on wet granite while wearing straps. I feel it wouldn't have dislocated if the pole had popped out of his hand. Not fatal...though it sure seemed like it from all the yelling. :rolleyes:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step..." {with, or without pole straps} "...to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~Henry David Thoreau

In other words, to each his own!

My husband had an anterior shoulder dislocation because his pole caught in rock as he slipped on wet granite while wearing straps. I feel it wouldn't have dislocated if the pole had popped out of his hand. Not fatal...though it sure seemed like it from all the yelling.
That doesn't sound good. I know that when I see reports like this, I puzzle over how someone's pole gets stuck in their hand, and doesn't pop out. My own experience is that with the strap worn so that it is over the top of my wrist, the pole drops away when I let go of the handle. This immediately frees up my hands, even if the poles are still dangling from my forearms. It is only when I put my hand in the strap the wrong way round, and the strap stays underneath the wrist, does the pole get caught in my hand when I let go of the handle. I can imagine in that circumstance, the risk of the pole becoming entangled increases dramatically, and along with that the risk of injury.

I think you should experiment and see what works best for you! IHave been using Leki poles...various models...I do not use the straps! WE hike a lot in the mountains, sometimes on narrow terrain..getting the pole caught in a crack could throw off balance if hands are in the loops and be fatal...so I never use the loops when climbing. However there is not hard and fast rule...so experiment and see what works for you!

Gittiharre, I am interested that you have struck no obstacles flying from NZ with poles. On my two caminos to date I have left my own common garden variety pole ( I use one) at home and bought an inexpensive pole on arrival in Spain - in SJPP and Madrid. For the trip from Wellington to Madrid I was flying with Etihad and had read on their website that hiking poles were not permitted on board. (The hiking umbrella I carried strapped to the outside of my pack was always carefully checked but accepted moving through various airport security checks, but I don't know how a pole would have gone).
Although I am not an expert pole-deployer, and have just worked out what seems to work for me, I have ended up using the leaning on the strap technique quite a bit to help uphill climbs, as well as the cup the hand over the top action for support at slippery times. I like to have one hand free - hence the single pole, and sometimes eg on flat easy road sections the pole is attached to my pack and not used at all.
On a lighter note, I find my pole is quite a versatile tool - also useful for entertainment purposes. During stretches of less scenic variety or later in a long day when I am tiring and rather "are we there yet-ish", I have sometimes amused myself by marching along and attempting to twirl it like a parade baton. This is best attempted while singing loudly - John Denver's "Take me home country road" works well - and out of sight and hearing of any other pilgrim (or living creature really).
I have taken the z poles on board of Etihad too. No problems.

Completely agree with the above, baton twirling and all but best bit, John Denver goes with me on very expedition I do

€46,-
Just to clarify, TSA rules do not allow hiking poles in Carry on, on airplanes in USA

"TSA does not regulate the size of carry-on baggage. ... Crampons and Pick Axes – Crampons are permitted in both carry-on and checked baggage, and pick axes are only permitted in checked baggage. Trekking & Hiking Poles – These can only be packed in checked baggage." May 13, 2014

Have been following this 'PoleSagagate' and will end with this!!
Sincerely hope on my return to do my second Camino in Sept/Oct this year I don't meet to many of the authors in the said thread. If you can't be both constructive AND respectable to fellow pilgrims who are merely trying to gain information or indeed impart their experience of Pole use, I hope your journey teaches these qualities enroute guys.

I do agree with @dougfitz hands put through the straps the wrong way increases the risk of injury. It is also important on downhill slopes to ensure the poles are always planted ahead and moved forward before the body "catches up". Otherwise they can be a tripping hazard. I hope that makes sense. Doug could probably explain it better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do agree with @dougfitz hands put through the straps the wrong way increases the risk of injury. It is also important on downhill slopes to ensure the poles are always planted ahead and moved forward before the body "catches up". Otherwise they can be a tripping hazard. I hope that makes sense. Doug could probably explain it better.
I would only add that I do this by lengthening the poles. Others seem to prefer using the palm of their hand over the top of the poles. I am not sure that this latter approach will always give enough extra length for steeper slopes - others with some experience using it might know.

It was at this point my 5th wife asked for a divorce. I says to her, aye..... nae bother at aw hen, but you're not getting the walking poles! Likesayken?

They can definitely be checked. I make a cardboard box and check my poles, peanut butter, and sunscreen, carry on my pack and dispose of the cardboard after picking it up. Then I check it all in on the return flight.
That is a wonderful idea. I would have never thought of the cardboard box. I think that was the last open issue I had. Three weeks and counting! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I once had to post my poles to a sports centre (within U.K.) . Our Post Office system will accept poles up to 115cm long for regular postal service. I just wrapped the poles in loads of bubble wrap and of course addressed them. Perhaps bubble wrap would work for checking poles in with airlines.

I fell coming out of a forest outside Zubiri last year, slipped on loose gravel, my cheapo sjpp pole 7 ( euro ) saved me from serious injury bent the pole. Bought two new ones in a China shop in Pamplona I always used straps. "Put that in your pipe and smoke it" as one would say.

I wonder why you think you cannot take poles on the plane. If you stuff them in your rucksack, which is checked in, there should be no problem. I have done that many times travelling from Denmark to Turkey, France (Camino del Norte), and USA.

Soren

€83,-
I find it is essential to put both hands through the straps. Done correctly, much of the pressure is relieved on your hands and spread to the wrist and forearm. If I had to tightly grip the handle with my hands I'd end up with lots of blisters. As for going downhill on slippery surfaces, I saw an excellent video that promoted moving your hands to the tip of the handle, putting it in the palm of your hands, then placing the pole down in front of you. I find this technique works well. I make sure that my pole is properly placed before taking a step forward. This way I know I'm secure. I believe proper use of poles can prevent way more falls and injuries than they cause.

I strongly agree with Tom. The most important thing on using poles is using the straps correctly and I prefer the ones you can adjust the lengh of it, so you can use it a little longer when going downhill and a little shorter when going uphill.
I´ve seen A LOT of people that bought their poles and never cared to learn how to correctly use them and put themselves in danger of getting hurt.
If you're going to use them the right way, I couldn't recommend them enough.
If you're going to buy them and try to find by yourself how to use them, I strongly recommend not to use them.

I am a virgin pole user, never wanted, never needed them in numerous walks, terrains etc. However due to a torn tibalias anterior tendon and 500kms ahead of me in May, I bought myself a pair and with diligence and perseverance... already see a potential and necessary use of poles, straps and awareness in variable situations.

I’ve been using poles for almost 50 years, hiking, downhill and cross country skiing. You SHOULD put your hands through the loops, but correctly. You end up having the loop being held under your hand and on the pole. A video shows it best here around the 3 minute mark. I’m posting this video vs others because it also emphasizes correct fit and best walking practice.

Thanks, I have watched several clips on using poles and spent some time with an experienced guru in desert, mountain and bush trekking. This clip 100% endorses the lessons I have been given by him. Now just a matter of applying.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.