• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dare I post this?

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Well, ok. Here goes. Please, go to town in telling me what you would not bring if that helps you! I have hummed and hawed about posting this, and then tossed a coin. Name your luxury item in the list! Tell me what I have forgotten.

Wear/carry:
  1. one pair eyes, ears, legs, feet.
  2. One Lowe Alpine 33/40 rucksack, weighs 1.5kg, but suits me.
  3. One set underwear, one pair zipoffs, one top, one pair liners, one pair socks, one pair boots, one hat, one neck scarf, one pair walking poles, one waist belt, tissues, phone, small amount of cash. Additional, very light and ancient samsonite money belt, with passport, bank notes in small denominations ( I might bury this somewhere so don't count on finding it if you are a scammer reading this post!), EHIC (European Health card) and bank debit card. Also, either in waist belt or side pockets: one litre water and some nuts and some plain biscuits and some babybel cheeses, and an apple or other frui
In pack:
Toilet bag, adapter, phone charger, on the go charger, knife, pen, notebook, guidebook (very light, St James Guide), three pairs socks, two pairs sock liners, two sets underwear, one pair zip-offs, one top, one long sleeved lightweight top, one packaway jacket, one poncho (depending on forecast), one silk liner, one day sack, one pair light Birkenstock sandals for shower and post walking, one coverall for relaxing in after shower and maybe for sleeping, nappy pins for hanging socks and towel on pack, one towel.
Toilet bag, in pack:
Sunscreen, one small piece soap, one small hairbrush, one small toothpaste, one toothbrush, one small anti-perspirant stone. One very small bottle cologne. One face cloth.
Vaseline, Betadina, Footcream, Hikers wool, Plasters, Scissors, Needle/thread
Daily medications.

Some items are shared, so half the weight. Some in one pack, some in the other. For example, most of the toilet bag items.

Not yet weighed, but I guess about 6kg with water. Well below the recommended 10%, given my weight, but my knee will not bear more punishment!

Weightless, priceless: one walking companion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You brave woman you!
Actually, this looks fantastic.
I'd be weighing the a spare sets of socks and liners, to see how much difference it makes to take only one spare of each rather than 3and 2. Same with undies. But if it's only a matter of ounces...what the heck....take 'em all!

And the weightless priceless companion? I can attest from my time with @SabineP this year and the Baztan 5 earlier...this is one of the very best things to have, a real blessing.
Buen camino is coming soon! Yay.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, ok. Here goes. Please, go to town in telling me what you would not bring if that helps you! I have hummed and hawed about posting this, and then tossed a coin. Name your luxury item in the list! Tell me what I have forgotten.

Wear/carry:
  3. One set underwear, one pair zipoffs, one top, one pair liners, one pair socks, one pair boots, one hat, one neck scarf, one pair walking poles, one waist belt, tissues, phone, small amount of cash. Additional, very light and ancient samsonite money belt, with passport, bank notes in small denominations ( I might bury this somewhere so don't count on finding it if you are a scammer reading this post!), EHIC (European Health card) and bank debit card. Also, either in waist belt or side pockets: one litre water and some nuts and some plain biscuits and some babybel cheeses, and an apple or other frui
In pack:
Toilet bag, adapter, phone charger, on the go charger, knife, pen, notebook, guidebook (very light, St James Guide), three pairs socks, two pairs sock liners, two sets underwear, one pair zip-offs, one top, one long sleeved lightweight top, one packaway jacket, one poncho (depending on forecast), one silk liner, one day sack, one pair light Birkenstock sandals for shower and post walking, one coverall for relaxing in after shower and maybe for sleeping, nappy pins for hanging socks and towel on pack, one towel.
Toilet bag, in pack:
Sunscreen, one small piece soap, one small hairbrush, one small toothpaste, one toothbrush, one small anti-perspirant stone. One very small bottle cologne. One face cloth.
Daily medications.

Some items are shared, so half the weight. Some in one pack, some in the other. For example, most of the toilet bag items.

Not yet weighed, but I guess about 6kg with water. Well below the recommended 10%, given my weight, but my knee will not bear more punishment!

Looks fine to me but who am I .
Take what feel comfortabel for you.

Stay safe . 🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Wear/carry:
In pack:
Toilet bag, in pack:
Daily medications.

Maybe 6kg for you, But with my larger stuff, for a very large fellow, my weight is at least 10kg, and nearly doubled for the same list of items. Go figure.

You must be a pixie!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I rarely comment on backpack contents but I learned after going all out minimalist for years that I now take 3 sets of 1) undies and 2) socks. Number one because along the Levante I lost one pair to the wind (or to someone with a fetish). I was alone in the albergue so there was no one else to blame and number two because I am constantly going through socks, even those expensive SmartWool ones with a guarantee. Nowadays I just buy inexpensive running socks which suit me just fine and last just as long as the expensive ones.

Wear/carry:
one litre water

How much water to carry is a variable, depending on how much or how little body fat you're carrying, what season it is, distance between watering holes, and personal resistance to all these things, plus various imponderable idiosyncrasies -- depending on circumstances though, your water can weigh as little as the empty bottle, or as much as the weight of 2L.

In pack:
three pairs socks

Two.

one silk liner

No, even if you sleep in every night, pack at least a light sleeping bag instead -- the likelihood is that you'll face chilly nights and/or ill-warmed refugios and/or these or those unpredictables. Not many will need anything like a heavy military or sports sleeping bag, but one hears more regrets from those without a bag than from those with one.

Even just zipping it right open to use as a blanket will often be helpful.

Toilet bag, in pack:
Vaseline, Betadina, Footcream

Yeah, nothing in there you couldn't easily trash if it turns out to be useless in practice.

Yay !!! 👉👉👉👉👉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A couple more thoughts— on the CF I saw many pilgrims routinely carrying very heavy loads of water that they were unlikely to need given that the Camino generally had readily available water sources for fill ups along the way. The few exceptions where there was no water available were well known and mentioned in guidebooks. On the subject of sleeping bags, my experience was that I was very glad I carried a sleeping bag. My sleeping bag was among the heaviest things I carried, but it saved me a number of times when albergues did not provide blankets and It was cold at night. I also carried a silk sleeping bag liner, which I will not bring on my next Camino. I found the silk liner to not be very useful or needed.

I have always carried a silk liner instead of a sleeping bag, except for that one frigid spring of 2013 when for some unknown but fortuitous reason I decided beforehand to take the bag. However, I walked the Sanabres in May/June this year with only my sheet, and regretted it. I have had enough of waking-up cold in the middle of the night, so from now on I will take a bag. I think age might be a factor in my finding the cold more of an issue these days, but either way I have determined to change my approach in this respect.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe 6kg for you, But with my larger stuff, for a very large fellow, my weight is at least 10kg, and nearly doubled for the same list of items. Go figure.

You must be a pixie!
If you only knew!

I love you Kirkie, but as a scent-sensitive person, I'd love it if you left the bottle of cologne at home!😍
Chocolate peanut M&Ms or similar, for energy and to share along the way. By the last couple of weeks, I had mixed M&Ms, sultanas/raisins and sunflower seeds all together, was living off of these.
Chocolate is not on my list, sadly! Fruit, yes.
I'm sure your small piece of soap & deoderant keeps you smelling fresh as a daisy enough, and scent weighs too much. So three reasons to leave the cologne at home.
Actually, the little stone, or crystal, has no scent. Got it abroad, but it is also available in pharmacies if you know what to look for.
Don't forget to toss out your worries and expectations as you go.

Where’s the umbrella/sunshade hat???

eagle - eye! Ok, I forgot to add it in.

And everyone else: 🙏 for helpful comments. Cologne will not travel. I change socks with regularity, but maybe I will just carry 2 pairs. I will replace the cologne with anti mosquito spray, and wrist bands. Not DEET. Mosquitoes fly in wait for me just after passport control.

If you only knew!

Chocolate is not on my list, sadly! Fruit, yes.

eagle - eye! Ok, I forgot to add it in.

And everyone else: 🙏 for helpful comments. Cologne will not travel. I change socks with regularity, but maybe I will just carry 2 pairs. I will replace the cologne with anti mosquito spray, and wrist bands. Not DEET. Mosquitoes fly in wait for me just after passport control.
Cologne: It often struck me that, showered, shaved and freshly laundered, I'd go out to the plaza in the evening - especially somewhere like Burgos or Leon - to watch the paseo and a family would pass by and there would be the Abuelo similarly turned out but with a splash of cologne or after-shave and he'd smell so clean.

My younger daughter introduced me to solid colognes - a tiny pot weighs next to nothing and travels well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Wear/carry:
In pack:
Toilet bag, in pack:
Daily medications.

Hopefully you are going to need it, so bring a pair of good UV-protective sunglasses.

Buen Camino peregrina. ☀

Yay another Lowe Alpine fan! I also have Lowe Alpine 33:40 which I love but thinking of upgrading to the Airzone Camino Trek 35:45 for Camino Francés next year. It weighs the same as the 33:40 but has separate compartment on bottom for sleeping bag and it’s a panel loader so easier to access kit.

Yay another Lowe Alpine fan! I also have Lowe Alpine 33:40 which I love but thinking of upgrading to the Airzone Camino Trek 35:45 for Camino Francés next year. It weighs the same as the 33:40 but has separate compartment on bottom for sleeping bag and it’s a panel loader so easier to access kit.

That is what i will miss because my 25l had the bottom section. Ah well, what is done is done. Are you going to wear a turban and rollers, Mary Doll?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hopefully you are going to need it, so bring a pair of good UV-protective sunglasses.

Buen Camino peregrina. ☀
Great idea, I must talk to my optician. I wear prescription glasses that darken in sunlight, but maybe I need over glasses. I will ask him, thanks for that tip, Turga! Good to hear and see you!

Light poncho, regardless of forecast. Covers everything if it rains. You can sit on it for a rest, or picnic lunch, or change of socks, if the ground is damp. It can be your outdoor loo, too, if modesty is an issue. It provides wind protection in early mornings, especially in Spring / Autumn. Probably my most valuable item. (I walked St Jean to Santiago March 23 to May 3. You didn't say when you're going. Buen Camino.
Oh, one other thing: make that 1 cup Compassion and HEAPS of Tolerance for snorers, early risers using noisy plastic bags and downhill cyclists with no bells (murderous thoughts grrrrr.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Light poncho, regardless of forecast. Covers everything if it rains. You can sit on it for a rest, or picnic lunch, or change of socks, if the ground is damp. It can be your outdoor loo, too, if modesty is an issue. It provides wind protection in early mornings, especially in Spring / Autumn. Probably my most valuable item. (I walked St Jean to Santiago March 23 to May 3. You didn't say when you're going. Buen Camino.
Oh, one other thing: make that 1 cup Compassion and HEAPS of Tolerance for snorers, early risers using noisy plastic bags and downhill cyclists with no bells (murderous thoughts grrrrr.)
As my father was wont to say - it is being so cheery that keeps you going! I know, you are right about the poncho. I will be definitely walking with a friend the Ingles in early August, and most probably walking by myself (Hah!) for about six days from Puente La Riene in the last week of July. I know about those cyclists. Put the heart across you, they do!

Wear/carry:
In pack:
Toilet bag, in pack:
Daily medications.

€149,-
the most useful thing that I took was a sarong which was used for putting around me after showering, hanging over the side of my bunk for privacy, sometimes sleeping in and sometimes using as a sheet or a pillowcase when you get those plastic cupboard mattresses. Also to put around you when it's hot as a scarf and other numerous uses I would not have gone without it....

Great idea, I must talk to my optician. I wear prescription glasses that darken in sunlight, but maybe I need over glasses. I will ask him, thanks for that tip, Turga! Good to hear and see you!
about the sunglasses. I found the sun was always to the side or behind me and never in my eyes. Only wore them in the afternoon with a few post walking beers in a square with friendly pilgrims.....I wouldn't bring a pair I felt I had to mind!

Cologne: It often struck me that, showered, shaved and freshly laundered, I'd go out to the plaza in the evening - especially somewhere like Burgos or Leon - to watch the paseo and a family would pass by and there would be the Abuelo similarly turned out but with a splash of cologne or after-shave and he'd smell so clean.

My younger daughter introduced me to solid colognes - a tiny pot weighs next to nothing and travels well.
@Jeff Crawley
I hate men's aftershave. I am sensitive to the strong scents and in addition it often seems to contain alcohol, so the perfume and the alcohol waft into the air together, overwhelming any other odors and making me choke. If we ever meet on camino, I shall beat a swift retreat. However, if you are often bothered by ladies attracted to you in public, go on using the cologne/aftershave to retain your personal space.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
about the sunglasses. I found the sun was always to the side or behind me and never in my eyes. Only wore them in the afternoon with a few post walking beers in a square with friendly pilgrims.....I wouldn't bring a pair I felt I had to mind!
sunglasses was what I wore every single day especially at this time of year I would think it's very foolish not to wear them you will damage your eyes

the most useful thing that I took was a sarong which was used for putting around me after showering, hanging over the side of my bunk for privacy, sometimes sleeping in and sometimes using as a sheet or a pillowcase when you get those plastic cupboard mattresses. Also to put around you when it's hot as a scarf and other numerous uses I would not have gone without it....
Yesterday I picked up an item in Oxfam for 3 euro. A beautiful piece of 100% cotton. Could this be it? The ultimate multipurpose item?!

@Jeff Crawley
I hate men's aftershave. I am sensitive to the strong scents and in addition it often seems to contain alcohol, so the perfume and the alcohol waft into the air together, overwhelming any other odors and making me choke. If we ever meet on camino, I shall beat a swift retreat. However, if you are often bothered by ladies attracted to you in public, go on using the cologne/aftershave to retain your personal space.
Wow!

I hear what you say and respect your choice not to wear men's aftershave.

Aged 67 it's been a long time since I was bothered by ladies attracted to me in public but thank you for granting me your kind permission.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
sunglasses was what I wore every single day especially at this time of year I would think it's very foolish not to wear them you will damage your eyes
It's true. Glare off of that light sandy track in front of you can be just as bad. I had a problem with snow blindness during a Canadian winter for just such a reason - better safe than damaged retinas!

That is what i will miss because my 25l had the bottom section. Ah well, what is done is done. Are you going to wear a turban and rollers, Mary Doll?
Rab persuaded me to leave the rollers at home. I think he just doesn’t want me looking too good for all the male pilgrims. I’ve decided on my hiking outfit. Thought the hat would be perfect for the Meseta.

6D30196D-58A1-424F-9C13-CF2B28928CD7.jpegB292709C-1268-41DF-94E5-E5380C8DEB87.jpeg

Whenever I go away, even for a few days, I use a small neck bag which I hang around my neck. It holds my passport, visa card and any notes in money. It can be conveniently put under my top and everybody thinks that my valuables are stacked in my bum bag which I have around my waist. That's great for carrying any coins which I might need easy access to.

When I rode the Camino in 2013, I only had a small lightweight inner liner with me, and coped with that. These days, and being that much older, I would probably take a very lightweight summer sleeping bag for extra warmth. Don't forget sunglasses and sunscreen, both very necessary around this time of year. Most of all, enjoy your Camino.

Oh, how I loved that programme. And I watched your namesake in a one hour show and she was fantastic!

€149,-
Wow!

I hear what you say and respect your choice not to wear men's aftershave.

Aged 67 it's been a long time since I was bothered by ladies attracted to me in public but thank you for granting me your kind permission.
So I see that I have obviously got the tone of my previous post wrong, easy to do when trying to state a strong personal issue while trying to be funny. I cannot breathe easily when women use cologne, and men's aftershave is worse. Last week, I was camping in the mountains with a friend who kindly offered me some hand cream for my dry and cracked hands. Moments later, she was begging me to wash it off, as I was coughing violently and having trouble breathing. When I washed if off, I was fine. This is not normally a problem for me, as I always use unscented toiletry products. But the presence of cologne on Kirkie's packing list and of men's cologne on Jeff Crawley's brought this back to mind. I have noted that one or two other forum members have declared strong sensitivity to perfumes in communal facilities. So I want to simply state that you both have every right to wear it, but if I get close to anyone who is doing so, my breathing will be compromised. I suppose that this is another reason to walk the caminos where I am likely to be alone most of the time. However, I enjoy the company of all of you, if not of your perfumes.

one pair light Birkenstock sandals for shower and post walking
I also brought these. They were great! Only thing is that if you need to do any sandal walking because of blisters, sore feet, etc..., these won't cut it for long distances. I tossed this over and over in my head as I walked the camino... would I have chosen sandals and then have them get wet in the shower but still have the flexibility to walk many kilometers in them if need be (which I definitely needed but couldn't)? Yes I think I would.

Wear/carry:
In pack:
Toilet bag, in pack:
Daily medications.

Sounds perfect to me!!!
Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’d add my Kindle. Worth the extra weight for me, and I simply cannot be anywhere without a collection of good books/old friends. 😊
I’m also planning on taking my Kindle. I know I can use the app on iPhone but Kindle screen is much easier on my old eyes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just in time before I set off next Monday. A short stretch from Obanos to Viana or Logrono. It is a prep for the Ingles in August. My optician said my specs are perfectly fine, no need to add anything, as they react to sunlight. I rediscoverred my original teva pretty rugged leather sandals. They are ancient, but I love them. I will do my best to stuff them in as well! The Birks will be for the shower. I never go barefoot into a shower on any camino. I am thinking of taking my ipad. I don’t have a kindle. I gave away the umbrella hat, a friend has oodles of grandnephews and nieces and they will have fun with it. She is one of 12 siblings. She is 80 something. There are around 160 in the family, through 4 generations. About 60 of them meet for a weekend every year, in Zaragoza.

Slight change in logistics. My rucksack will go courtesy of paqmochila each morning until Siguiero, from where it will come with me to Santiago. I managed to book it online, after also reserving accommodation for each stop. Correos only pick up from certain places, none of them albergues, by the way. It is what I can manage this time round. Play to one’s strengths, that is my motto this camino.
Tomorrow will be short, to Neda. Made up for that by covering over 12km this afternoon. So, little yellow daysack on my back, see you if you are around on Camino Inglés these days. Buen camino.

€83,-

Wear/carry:
In pack:
Toilet bag, in pack:
Daily medications.

That all looks good, I just got back. I left with more then I came home with. Have fun

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.