• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Data card for iPod

msb1932

We are starting our Camino from Saville September 23rd and need a data/sim card for my iPod, has anyone any advise on where to purchase one in Saville? I need one that will last a couple of months so I am not sure what I need to purchase.

Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you Google "Apple/Seville" you will get 11 hits for Ipod stores.
Enjoy

You mean iPhone, right? I don't think iPods have SIM cards. If you do mean iPhone you need to have it unlocked prior to changing the SIM card. If you're an AT&T customer from US you can call 6-1-1 to get them to do that, if you qualify (you have to have owned your phone for 2 years). You can also get it unlocked by third-party folks. Once that's done you should be able to go to a cell store in Sevilla (Orange, MoviStar, Vodaphone, etc.) and purchase a prepaid SIM card from them. Theoretically they should be able to install it for you.

I brought my iPhone on a couple of caminos, including this year on the Camino del Norte and I've used it in various different modes -- no cell, just WiFi, cell, etc. If you're just making calls you can consider an international plan from AT&T and it might be easier and less hassle than unlocking and re-SIMming your phone. There's also a SMS plan for not much money. Where they get you is on the International Data Plan, which is $200 for 800 mb. The way around this is just to use free WiFi at bar/cafes along the way (it's pretty plentiful) and turn off your data roaming.

Hope this helps. Buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My fault my explanation of what I am looking for was very poor.

I will be taking my iPad and would like a wireless connection most of the time (approx 2 months)I am assuming I require a micro sim card. Apple stores do not normally sell temporary cards. I am looking for advise of where to go and what to request.

My iPad is from the US and is unlocked.
Thanks

I also have an unlocked iPhone and would like to know about getting cellular data service.

Mobile plans look just as complicated in Spain as they are in the US.

Vodaphone has 30 Euros, 300MB of data and 300 SMS. That is awfully pricey in my book!

Movistar, I think, has 12 Euros for 300MB/month. For SMS/calling there are too many plans for me to figure out!

Simyo and MasMovil might be other options? But looking at these rates, I think I may just stick with waiting till I have a wifi connection...!!! :p

I too am looking for a wireless connection for my iPod for two months starting in October. Did you find a solution for this?

msb1932 said:
My fault my explanation of what I am looking for was very poor.

I will be taking my iPad and would like a wireless connection most of the time (approx 2 months)I am assuming I require a micro sim card. Apple stores do not normally sell temporary cards. I am looking for advise of where to go and what to request.

My iPad is from the US and is unlocked.
Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Vodafone has a pay as you go data card for unlocked Apple products. Orange has a competing service, but its coverage is less. There is a Vodafone store in Pamplona with an English speaking clerk, who is very helpful. The cost is about 10E, and it includes about 10E of initial service, which lasted me a week. If you stream data, it will last about twenty minutes!

http://tienda.vodafone.es/do/catalogo/moviles/simsdatos

I have purchased a Mas Movil from spanishblue on e-bay in the UK. I had to provide my passport number, date of birth and date arriving in Spain so the card could be activated and work when we arrive. Martin from spanishblue has been very responsive in answering my questions and if I have any problems they have a phone number in Spain in english to answer any questions. You can top this card up on line and the rate drops to 3 cents (euro). This may not be the least expensive way to go but if it works it saves a lot of hassle in Saville finding and purchasing a sim card.

We leave the States Sept 10th will spend a few days in the UK and fly to Saville Sept 20th. I will post again and let you all know if this works for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will check that out. Thanks!

Sienna Moon said:
Try Celestial and let me know how you get on as I am doing the same next year. I thought I would try it out now and see how it goes

In May on my Camino Del Norte I use Yoigo. You can find them at any Carrefour supermarket.

It's 800MB at 30 Euro including SIM card. They even cut the SIM for me into a micro-SIM for my iPhone.
When I ran out they text me and tell me that I can extend another 300MB for 5 Euro, which I did from the balance (which was something like 10-15 Euro).

Interestingly enough, 70% of the time it was on Movistar. I found out that since Yoigo is the 4th and the newest provider, they didn't have full coverage in Spain and have to rely on Movistar.

The Mas Movil I purchased from spanishblue on e-bay in the UK works great, I installed the SIM card changed the APN setting to internetmas and I have a 3G connection. Much easier if your Spanish is limited then trying to explain in the store what you require.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.