• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

data card transfers

lanval

I was wondering if there were places along the camino where I could get data transferred from a camera’s data card onto a dvd (I want to ensure I have backups mailed home). Would I look for computer shops, internet cafés, or photography shops?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi - I had two CD's done whilst walking. One in Leon and the other in Puenta La Reina.
The one in Leon was a Kodak Shop and the one in Puenta La Reina was a photographer's showroom (just across the road from the Buen Camino albergue) called Embajada del Peregrino. He persuaded me to put on a pilgrim hat with a turned up brim that had a scallop shell on the front. He took my photograph and then made a CD label with it. (Don't laugh - its rude!)
You will find the shop here: http://embajadadelperegrino.com/huella.htm
My advice to anyone using a digital camera is to use Lithium batteries. I didn't take a charger, just 4 batteries and only had to change the first two after taking about 300 photographs on high resolution.

Attachments

• Camino CD.JPG
    Camino CD.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 663
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
sillydoll said:
My advice to anyone using a digital camera is to use Lithium batteries. I didn't take a charger, just 4 batteries and only had to change the first two after taking about 300 photographs on high resolution.
Thanks for this advice sil. I was going to take alkaline batteries and buy more as I went- rather than bother about trying to recharge as I would do at home. I never knew you could buy lithium batteries in an AA size even. However, I saw some at the supermarket yesterday, and bought them! ( I suspect they might be relatively new on the market here, though maybe I have just not noticed them before!)
Margaret

I had been walking with a pilgrim whose camera disappeared, so I took pictures for both of us and needed to put on a cd so he could take home his second half of his journey in pictures..
I wanted to share with you that I had a 4 gig SD card in my camera and found one store only in Santiago, after going to approximately 15 shops,that were able to transfer the pictures to a cd or dvd.
Recommendation: do not take one bigger than 2 gigs. Take a few though...
Smile,
Lillian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just to add my two cents advise on data card transfer:

a) Yes it is better to take a 2 gb camera card as it is easier to edit than a 4 gb card

b) Yes carrying a few sets of lithium battery hold more charge than the normal throwaway batteries and is easier than carrying a charger, the Spanish sockets need an adapter to suit the two pin flat plugs used in NZ and OZ if you bring a charger. We found that using the video capability of our camera chewed up a lot of power, but battery replacements could be done on the go.

c) We carried cheap flash drives and a card reader, these little gadgets allowed us to transfer the day's photos, videos, and audio notes, from the delicate camera cards into the flash drives (pen drives) through the USB connection on the computer whilst we were on the internet. The transfers can be done simultaneously whilst emails are read and replied. We also edited the photos in the flash drives at leisure so that they could fit into a CD when an opportunity arose.

d) Modern computers have inbuilt card readers and CD/DVD writer, so perhaps in the not too distant future you can transfer, edit, save, and burn CD's without using a separate tiny card reader and looking for a CD burning shop during the Camino. I am hopeful of this upgrading of computers as Spain's tech-savvy is second to none.

Hope this help

Kwaheri

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back