• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Data Visualisation on the Camino - some questions stand out

uk_pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
French Way 2010, Portuguese 2013
I was looking through an interactive graphic of the Camino stats here:

https://public.tableau.com/views/CaminodeSantiago/StatisticsSantiagodeCompostela

Some fascinating things/ questions stand out for me:
  1. After Spain and Portugal, which obviously have lots of people taking part due to their proximity, Ireland has the next highest number of people making the Camino as a proportion of population. More than 10x that of the UK! Could that be down to the Catholic link? Even so, it's 8 times as much as the French too!
  2. In 2014 the number of people making the Camino by horse went up to about 1500, but only 300 in 2015, did some changes make it harder for people to go by horse?
  3. More than 100x the number of people did the Camino in 2015 than 1986 (just 2,500 then). That is incredible! How will it be in 10 years?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that the Camino launching point was 1993 (99000 pilgrims), when the Holy Year was widely promoted . So more or less the relevant increase has been 2,5x the number of people in 20 years.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pelegrin: not sure if it's correct to compare the 1993 Holy Year with current non-Holy Years. Looking at the chart, the Holy Years always add about 100,000 onto the previous year, they don't seem to be having an increased effect over time. Also, the popularity had already grown from 2,500 to 9,700 by 1992, before the Holy Year you mention was widely promoted.

I would love to see data before 1986 to see what the previous Holy Year had been like!

Oh how I wish I had walked it when I first thought of it, about 40 years ago :confused:
To any young pilgrim reading this thread...don't delay :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From Internet:

"En junio de 1962, Álvaro Cunqueiro realiza el Camino de las Estrellas en un Seat 600 desde O Cebreiro a Santiago. El correspondiente relato apareció publicado por entregas en un periódico gallego y hoy puede ser disfrutado en forma de libro. En un momento de la narración, el autor pregunta a un niño si vio pasar a algún peregrino, y el muchacho le responde repreguntándole qué es eso. Y en 1970, el sistema contabiliza 70 peregrinos. A mi entender, el renacimiento que experimenta el Camino de Santiago en los últimos treinta años se debe al impulso que le imprime don Manuel Fraga desde la presidencia de la Xunta de Galicia"

Summary: In June 1962 Alvaro Cunqueiro (a Galician writer) drove in a Seat 600 the Stars Way from O Cebreiro to Santiago and he wrote a book about that trip. On the narrative he asks a boy if had ever seen a pilgrim and the boy responds What is a pilgrim?.In 1970 were counted 70 pilgrims. The renaissance of the Camino was due to President of Xunta Manuel Fraga who took office in 1990.

Mine: Manuel Fraga was a minister in the Franco regime and because of that he never was well accepted by many people but he was really brilliant (IMO) and as a president of Xunta he did a lot of good things for Galicia.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back