• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American Discovery Trail - @Dave is walking across America -- can you put him up?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Some forum members may have seen @t2andreo's post about @Dave's long walk from East Coast to West Coast, USA. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/episode-31-john-rebekah.65453/#post-805836

Since there are so many US forum members, we thought that some would enjoy the chance to offer Dave a bed for a night as he makes his way across the continent.

I have run this by Ivar and the mods, and we think it is a great idea. Dave is going to post his general itinerary on this thread, the expected dates, and any other little details he cares to add.

If you want to participate, feel free to talk about it on the thread, but please do not include any personal information in your forum post. All specifics should be left to PMs between you and Dave directly.

And just to add a bit of context, if you are a longtime forum member you probably know that @Dave is author of some camino guidebooks, and has offered a lot of advice on the forum over the years. I am particularly indebted to him for all the help he gave me in my quest to find coastal alternatives on the Norte, where the asphalt can be pretty punishing.

Stay tuned for more details. It's always fun to meet forum members in person, but this would be particularly special, I think.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,

Thank you Tom and Laurie for thinking of and spearheading this. It's very kind.

So yeah, I'm walking across the US this year, following the American Discovery Trail, with some modifications. The ADT goes coast-to-coast between Delaware and California, splitting in the midwest between Cincinnati and Denver to offer a "southern" and "northern" approach. Between August and mid-October, I walked the southern route. The plan had been to follow the ADT coast-to-coast beginning in late-February, following the northern route through the midwest this time, but I'm modifying that a bit. I'll follow the ADT as far as Nebraska and then I'll veer off to follow the historic Oregon Trail back home to Portland and then on to the Oregon Coast.

That might sound confusing, so here's a much clearer map that you can look at. The blue is what I've done. The red (American Discovery Trail) and green (Oregon Trail) is what I will do.

In terms of timing, here's a very rough snapshot based on the romantic hope that all goes smoothly:
  • Late-Feb - March: Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio
  • April: Indiana, Illinois, Iowa
  • May: Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming
  • June: Wyoming, Idaho (and a teeny bit of Utah)
  • July: Idaho, Oregon
  • August: Finish in Oregon
I'm posting a bunch of stuff as I go. Main links are:
I wrote around 60,000 words on the first leg of the trip. Here are a few posts from that pile that I think are solid examples of the experience thus far:
Anyway, please get in touch (through PMs) if you live anywhere near the route. Would love to connect with pilgrims along the way!

Dave

Sadly you will be 135 mile North of me. I wish you all the best and also a free bed and hospitality if you come through Salt Lake City Utah.

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,

So yeah, I'm walking across the US this year, following the American Discovery Trail, with some modifications. The ADT goes coast-to-coast between Delaware and California, splitting in the midwest between Cincinnati and Denver to offer a "southern" and "northern" approach. Between August and mid-October, I walked the southern route. The plan had been to follow the ADT coast-to-coast beginning in late-February, following the northern route through the midwest this time, but I'm modifying that a bit. I'll follow the ADT as far as Nebraska and then I'll veer off to follow the historic Oregon Trail back home to Portland and then on to the Oregon Coast.

That might sound confusing, so here's a much clearer map that you can look at. The blue is what I've done. The red (American Discovery Trail) and green (Oregon Trail) is what I will do.

In terms of timing, here's a very rough snapshot based on the romantic hope that all goes smoothly:
I wrote around 60,000 words on the first leg of the trip. Here are a few posts from that pile that I think are solid examples of the experience thus far:
Anyway, please get in touch (through PMs) if you live anywhere near the route. Would love to connect with pilgrims along the way!

Dave

great.
But some of those months in the States listed can have horrible weather!

Late Feb, March, April ohio, Illinois,Indiana... can have snow , ice and horrible winds and rain. Or be spring like.

Eastern Idaho can be very hot in August. Actually extremely hot!

too bad can’t break it up into walking certain states during Certain months. But that would stretch the walk into a few years?

wear a Camino De Santiago shirt or patch.

Is this not a case for following the example of touring cyclists by setting up a dedicated service on the lines of Warmshowers (hospitality by cyclists for cyclists)? In my experience as host and guest, there is as much pleasure in giving as receiving a warm welcome. Walkers would doubtless also appreciate such hospitality on those sections of the Camino where albergues are few and far between.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you change your mind Dave and start in Boston, we are 90 miles west of Boston in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains and would love to host you as you pass through our very scenic area!
And here is another invitation of hospitality from just north of Boston.

Some forum members may have seen @t2andreo's post about @Dave's long walk from East Coast to West Coast, USA. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/episode-31-john-rebekah.65453/#post-805836

Since there are so many US forum members, we thought that some would enjoy the chance to offer Dave a bed for a night as he makes his way across the continent.

I have run this by Ivar and the mods, and we think it is a great idea. Dave is going to post his general itinerary on this thread, the expected dates, and any other little details he cares to add.

If you want to participate, feel free to talk about it on the thread, but please do not include any personal information in your forum post. All specifics should be left to PMs between you and Dave directly.

And just to add a bit of context, if you are a longtime forum member you probably know that @Dave is author of some camino guidebooks, and has offered a lot of advice on the forum over the years. I am particularly indebted to him for all the help he gave me in my quest to find coastal alternatives on the Norte, where the asphalt can be pretty punishing.

Stay tuned for more details. It's always fun to meet forum members in person, but this would be particularly special, I think.

Buen camino, Laurie
Tell Dave his room is ready in Salt Lake City, Utah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen camino, Laurie
San Diego has a 🛌 bed 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And if you decide to detour to the Great Lakes, I'm in Erie PA! Would love to host you.
Blessings on your journey! I will follow...

The link to the Map post didn’t work for me - did it work for others?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It worked for me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dave, you will be crossing the snake river near where I grew up. The gateway to Oregon, Nyssa- Home of the bulldogs. Unfortunately I now live in Nevada. Also an Oregonian, I wish you well.

Buen camino, Laurie
I'm in San Luis Obispo, Ca

Weird--I'm not sure why the map is being so fussy. Here's another attempt at the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yjaq5osTa-2-sSXGllsW8pePQGvTPfkX&usp=sharing

And here's a screen-grab. Not as good, since you can't zoom in, but better than guessing:

1575937688579.png

Again, I've done the blue parts; the red and green are what's to come.

Thanks to everyone offering hospitality--sorry to miss out on so many of you! If anything, I think the message from this thread is that Ivar's next app should be a pilgrims-hosting-pilgrims bed-sharing app.

Marty - Yep, the downside of through-hiking the US is that you're compromising on conditions everywhere. Wet in Delaware/Maryland, snowy in West Virginia, a mud-pit in Ohio, and so on. Hopefully I can beat the wildfires out west.

Sue - It'll be around 4000 miles coast-to-coast. If I followed the ADT completely, it would actually be closer to 4800.

Harlan - Sorry to miss you in Nyssa!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,

Dave
You are missing the beautiful state of North Carolina. We would be happy to have you if your path should change.

I'm waaay off piste, and so I have no accommodation to offer.
But I love what's happening here.
Dave, all blessings on your way...and this is a brilliant idea, and not just for the USA. Sorted by country, worlwide:
I think the message from this thread is that Ivar's next app should be a pilgrims-hosting-pilgrims bed-sharing app.
Ok...so @ivar? What do you think? This isn't the first time it's come up. So maybe an idea whose time has come?

Last edited:
Weird--I'm not sure why the map is being so fussy. Here's another attempt at the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yjaq5osTa-2-sSXGllsW8pePQGvTPfkX&usp=sharing

And here's a screen-grab. Not as good, since you can't zoom in, but better than guessing:

View attachment 67649

Again, I've done the blue parts; the red and green are what's to come.

Thanks to everyone offering hospitality--sorry to miss out on so many of you! If anything, I think the message from this thread is that Ivar's next app should be a pilgrims-hosting-pilgrims bed-sharing app.

Marty - Yep, the downside of through-hiking the US is that you're compromising on conditions everywhere. Wet in Delaware/Maryland, snowy in West Virginia, a mud-pit in Ohio, and so on. Hopefully I can beat the wildfires out west.

Sue - It'll be around 4000 miles coast-to-coast. If I followed the ADT completely, it would actually be closer to 4800.

Harlan - Sorry to miss you in Nyssa!
Looks like you will be following the Snake and the Gorge through Oregon. If you get lost and find yourself in Central Oregon/Bend, holler. There is a bed and food waiting for you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen camino, Laurie
that's very nice hopefully he will have many to offer him accommodation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My daughter walked the Camino with Dave many years ago, the summer of her junior year in high school. This inspired me to walk it on my own a few years later. When she graduated from college she walked it again as a graduation present. He's an inspiration.

Dave, Isabel from Overlake says hi!

You probably don't need a place to stay in Seattle, but if you do, let me know!

Buen camino, Laurie

Buen camino, Laurie
If Dave is near Taos, NM. My husband and I would be delighted to host him.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone,

Dave
Unfortunately you will be Southof us. We are in mMichigan

You're missing some gorgeous country in Western NY- The Fingerlakes Region is filled with waterfalls and wine! And I have a bedroom for you--- you can hear our waterfall from the house in the Summer. Next time take the northern route-- (The US is big!). --

I've got a friend in the panhandle of West Virginia-- do you need a place there?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen camino, Laurie
We live just north of Albany NY so are not on the route, but would be happy to host any other forum members who happen to be up here :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back