• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dave Whitson's new book "Pilgrimage: A Medieval Cure for Modern Ills"

markf_syd

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '14 Portuguese '17 Podiensis '19 Assisi 22
After hearing a brief comment about Dave's new pilgrimage book on his Camino podcast, I immediately bought and devoured it within days of being released. Why did it appeal so much to me?
  1. Methodology. Dave skilfully synthesises a swathe of academic research on pilgrimage, and not just the Camino de Santiago, and weaves that alongside anecdotal evidence from a diverse set of pilgrims on various pilgrimages. In my view, this book is truly unique. I am now on my third slower reading as I explore some of his many references that I didn't have.
  2. Purpose. In my opinion, the agenda/conclusion of Dave's writing is very worthwhile - the title says it all. It certainly resonates with comments pilgrims have made to me how the world would be a different, better place if more people, and influential leaders in particular, took time out for a pilgrimage like the Camino de Santiago.
Here are two short quotes that may assist your decision to read it or not:
  • "In this book, I hope to share how pilgrimage can reconnect us to the physical world, our deeper selves, other people, and spiritual belief, and in so doing help reforge a link with the sources of so many good things in our lives, like health, joy, inspiration, peace, and meaning."
  • "My goal is for this book to be of service to several distinct audiences. First and foremost, I hope that it speaks to other experienced pilgrims, offering insight and clarity into their lived experience. Even after twenty years of pilgrimage, this research project was still instructive for me in laying bare some of what I had encountered but never fully recognised. Second, I aim for this book to be a resource for friends and family of pilgrims, to help reveal what their loved ones are pursuing and why, and thus set the table for a richer series of conversations upon their return. Finally, I aspire for this book to be a source of inspiration for those who have never gone on pilgrimage, or even considered the notion. Most pilgrims that I know found their way to the practice by accident or coincidence..."
I am very grateful to Dave for using his Covid-time to pull all this together.

41i+3sJExSL.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back