• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

David Downie: Paris to the Pyrenees

billmclaughlin

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP/Burgos 2012; Le Puy/SJPP 2013; Aumont Aubrac/Aire sur l'Adour 2014; Burgos/Santiago 2016.
Just finished reading David Downie's Paris to the Pyrenees. I was suckered in by the subtitle: A Skeptic Pilgrim Walks the Way of Saint James.

He's a fine writer with some interesting obsessions (Julius Caesar, Gaul, Mitterand) and a bit cranky in a good way, and his wife is along to gently mock him from time to time. I'm in tune with him on the subject of pilgrims and talking about spirituality, which is somewhat critical and uncomfortable. The problem for me was that he spends 299 pages hiking in Burgundy and rarely on a route headed even vaguely towards Spain. The he heads home to Paris to recover from an injury.

A 13-page epilogue covers Le Puy to Roncesvalles. Seriously, 13 pages.

So it was a good book about walking in France but guilty of false advertising. Not at all what I was led to expect.

Bill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Bill,
I read Downie's book too. Had a similar response to yours-- though I am not put off by the (potential) spiritual nature of the journey. I found Downie a bit too impressed with himself and his own wit; however, the history/political commentary is good, as are the descriptions of the food and the people they met along the way. Being an American, who has lived in France for many years, his perspective was interesting to me-- fluent with the language and the culture, so able to have in-depth conversations with those he met, and pass those conversations along to us. I walked St. Jean to Santiago last Fall and was thinking I wanted to do that again (there was just so much to see that I missed) until I read Downie's book. Now France is at the top my list, as is El Norte. (So many Caminos, so little time.) Yes, it would have been nice if he had focused more attention on the Le Puy to Roncesvalles section. It is definitely not a guidebook, but worth the read.
Katherine

Yeh, same reaction here. I stopped reading it because the author comes off as really full of himself.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm halfway through Downie's tome. Having walked the Le Puy route, I am quite jealous of his fluency in french and how that leads to a very different experience in interacting with the locals. It is an interesting page-turner.

As for those who urge putting down a pilgrim memoir because the author is "too full of himself" ... really? and what memoir isn't? Isn't the insight into another's individual and very personal experience the entire reason we read memoirs in the first place?

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back