A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Video David Part 2 - The 3 Most Common Camino Injuries & How to Avoid them.

JoroAtanasof

Camino(s) past & future
CF may 2018
CP july 2018
CP Coastal august 2019
Great video could not agree more :)
I spent 2 days exploring Barcelona and by the time i arrived by train to Pamplona it was obvious that my shoes are not the right size . So i visited Caminoteca store in Pamplona before heading to SJPDP and the assistant recomended me Keen Newport H2 sandals . I am glad that i listened him . Blister free camino , but i had have shin splints on both of my legs ( guess i am in young energetic people's group :D ) . I hope this video generate lot of views from new timers before they start their journey .

Bert45

Camino(s) past & future
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
This video is too slow for me, and the sound quality is not great at times. Can you, Robo, simply type the list of injuries with their prevention and cure, if prevention fails?

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Ha, ha, I had to laugh when David said that females will buy boots too small. My trusty boots gave up the ghost, so when I was in the big city with husband we went shopping for another pair. I found the identical pair, tried them on, and told the the sales assistant I’ll take them. “BUT THEY’RE FAR TOO BIG!” my HUSBAND wailed. They are NOT, I declared . . . and last year I walked across Spain in them, no blisters. Perfect fit.

martin1ws

Camino(s) past & future
Somport to Finisterre Jul-Aug 2018
Thank you very much, @Robo and @David !

This video is too slow for me, and the sound quality is not great at times. Can you, Robo, simply type the list of injuries with their prevention and cure, if prevention fails?
Blisters: main reason: too small shoes; stop on hotspot immediately
Shin Splints: walk as if you have no backpack (not leant forward); short paces
Knees: walking up and down and on rough terrain: poles that are used in the right way (not just clicking on the ground)

But there is much more additional information in the video... so I would recommend to watch it.

Bert45

Camino(s) past & future
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
Thank you very much, @Robo and @David !

Blisters: main reason: too small shoes; stop on hotspot immediately
Shin Splints: walk as if you have no backpack (not leant forward); short paces
Knees: walking up and down and on rough terrain: poles that are used in the right way (not just clicking on the ground)

But there is much more additional information in the video... so I would recommend to watch it.
Thanks, Martin. You've given me all that I hoped for.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Ha, ha, I had to laugh when David said that females will buy boots too small. My trusty boots gave up the ghost, so when I was in the big city with husband we went shopping for another pair. I found the identical pair, tried them on, and told the the sales assistant I’ll take them. “BUT THEY’RE FAR TOO BIG!” my HUSBAND wailed. They are NOT, I declared . . . and last year I walked across Spain in them, no blisters. Perfect fit.
😊 Thankfully, I’m past the stage of worrying about my shoes looking too large. However, I had to smile when David indicated he didn’t think poles did much to lessen the weight on one’s knees and, I believe, didn’t think they were much worth using. I use poles not so much to reduce the weight on my knees, but more for stability when going up or down uneven terrain, and particularly for the upper body workout I get ... because I use my poles properly. 😊

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
You found it too slow? Gosh, I found it perfect camino and post-camino speed for me. 😊

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
Funny 😂 - but, I didn't say that you know. I said that a certain type of non-hiking female pilgrim will do that - not all novice female walkers, and definitely not seasoned female hikers. It is from observation of blister casualties over thirteen years. - that is why I prefaced it with saying I wasn't being misogynist - my two main are non hiking female pilgrims in footwear too small, and then young males with super-cheap and inappropriate footwear such as 'bargain' tennis shoes ;).

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Great interview Robo and David - informative and interesting - thank you both.
I’m a big fan of Hiker’s wool too Robo - it’s a fabulous product.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
Thank you, Rob and David, for an excellent video. I shall be heading off to the mountains with a pack in about three weeks, and am hoping to avoid injury, particularly shin splints. I have developed my own functional walking style in nearly fifty years of mountain walking. It got me up to Orisson on my first camino with no advance training (not recommended). But the thought of attempting to adjust my pace and posture with a heavier pack for back-country travel is daunting. I am leaving behind what I can and shall walk slowly and carefully at first, trying to enjoy the mountains and stay safe. Bears are less of a hazard than the virus, and my very old tin of bear spray still has useful contents (I tried it out yesterday). I have a lovely camino mask from Ivar to pull up if I meet others on the trail. I shall be watching the video several more times before I leave, and seeing if adjusting my pace will work for me to avoid shin splints. Thanks again.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Robo Camino Videos 1
Robo Camino Videos 13

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.8%
  • October

Votes: 156 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock