• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

David Part 2 - The 3 Most Common Camino Injuries & How to Avoid them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great video could not agree more :)
I spent 2 days exploring Barcelona and by the time i arrived by train to Pamplona it was obvious that my shoes are not the right size . So i visited Caminoteca store in Pamplona before heading to SJPDP and the assistant recomended me Keen Newport H2 sandals . I am glad that i listened him . Blister free camino , but i had have shin splints on both of my legs ( guess i am in young energetic people's group :D ) . I hope this video generate lot of views from new timers before they start their journey .

This video is too slow for me, and the sound quality is not great at times. Can you, Robo, simply type the list of injuries with their prevention and cure, if prevention fails?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ha, ha, I had to laugh when David said that females will buy boots too small. My trusty boots gave up the ghost, so when I was in the big city with husband we went shopping for another pair. I found the identical pair, tried them on, and told the the sales assistant I’ll take them. “BUT THEY’RE FAR TOO BIG!” my HUSBAND wailed. They are NOT, I declared . . . and last year I walked across Spain in them, no blisters. Perfect fit.

Thank you very much, @Robo and @David !

This video is too slow for me, and the sound quality is not great at times. Can you, Robo, simply type the list of injuries with their prevention and cure, if prevention fails?
Blisters: main reason: too small shoes; stop on hotspot immediately
Shin Splints: walk as if you have no backpack (not leant forward); short paces
Knees: walking up and down and on rough terrain: poles that are used in the right way (not just clicking on the ground)

But there is much more additional information in the video... so I would recommend to watch it.

Thank you very much, @Robo and @David !

Blisters: main reason: too small shoes; stop on hotspot immediately
Shin Splints: walk as if you have no backpack (not leant forward); short paces
Knees: walking up and down and on rough terrain: poles that are used in the right way (not just clicking on the ground)

But there is much more additional information in the video... so I would recommend to watch it.
Thanks, Martin. You've given me all that I hoped for.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha, ha, I had to laugh when David said that females will buy boots too small. My trusty boots gave up the ghost, so when I was in the big city with husband we went shopping for another pair. I found the identical pair, tried them on, and told the the sales assistant I’ll take them. “BUT THEY’RE FAR TOO BIG!” my HUSBAND wailed. They are NOT, I declared . . . and last year I walked across Spain in them, no blisters. Perfect fit.
😊 Thankfully, I’m past the stage of worrying about my shoes looking too large. However, I had to smile when David indicated he didn’t think poles did much to lessen the weight on one’s knees and, I believe, didn’t think they were much worth using. I use poles not so much to reduce the weight on my knees, but more for stability when going up or down uneven terrain, and particularly for the upper body workout I get ... because I use my poles properly. 😊

Funny 😂 - but, I didn't say that you know. I said that a certain type of non-hiking female pilgrim will do that - not all novice female walkers, and definitely not seasoned female hikers. It is from observation of blister casualties over thirteen years. - that is why I prefaced it with saying I wasn't being misogynist - my two main are non hiking female pilgrims in footwear too small, and then young males with super-cheap and inappropriate footwear such as 'bargain' tennis shoes ;).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great interview Robo and David - informative and interesting - thank you both.
I’m a big fan of Hiker’s wool too Robo - it’s a fabulous product.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Thank you, Rob and David, for an excellent video. I shall be heading off to the mountains with a pack in about three weeks, and am hoping to avoid injury, particularly shin splints. I have developed my own functional walking style in nearly fifty years of mountain walking. It got me up to Orisson on my first camino with no advance training (not recommended). But the thought of attempting to adjust my pace and posture with a heavier pack for back-country travel is daunting. I am leaving behind what I can and shall walk slowly and carefully at first, trying to enjoy the mountains and stay safe. Bears are less of a hazard than the virus, and my very old tin of bear spray still has useful contents (I tried it out yesterday). I have a lovely camino mask from Ivar to pull up if I meet others on the trail. I shall be watching the video several more times before I leave, and seeing if adjusting my pace will work for me to avoid shin splints. Thanks again.

I enjoyed the video - thanks guys! I plan to begin my Camino Frances journey late September 2021. The lacing of the shoes is something I plan to try as I am an avid hiker/walker and have begun training now for the Camino. The shin splints information is extremely helpful as I am also training 20-22 min. miles to ensure no issues. I never knew about the knee swiveling and I do plan on stopping every hour or so to rest feet or change socks or in to sandals. I totally agree to take care of my feet (yes I have 1 size larger shoes). Thanks again.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back