• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dax to SJPdP accommodation issue

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I can find accommodation in Dax, and then some more in Peyrehorade, which is handily about 21km later....but then what? Google has found me only expensive hotels that are not exactly en route to St Jean. Anyone have any contacts of not-too-pricey places to stay so that we could hopefully cover about 20km a day? (that might be asking too much! Happy to go to 30km if absolutely necessary, but nothing beyond that....if it's not possible we look for another route)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for those links Meredith.
Going all the way to Bayonne is a tad "out of the way" (sounds silly, doesn't it....in the overall scheme of things), but I used that information you pointed me to (again :oops: ) and came up with the following as a possibility:

Dax to Peyrehorade via Cagnotte 21km
Peyrehorade to Urt 19.8km
Urt to Hasparren via Briscous 17.9km
Hasparren to Irissary via Helette 18.5km
Irissary to Saint Jean Pied de port 15.2km

It looks like a delightfully gentle start, and altogether possible.
What's more, it puts my intended/hoped route at exactly 999.9-google-map-kilometres. There is something awfully satisfying about that!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So glad that you have found your next way! When do you plan to walk again? Have you found pilgrim lodging in Dax, Peyrehorade, Urt , and Briscous (not Bascous which is further to the east) ? If all goes well perhaps I will try your route as a header for my next Camino Frances this coming October.

All the best,

Margaret Meredith

Well spotted Margaret - I've gone back and changed the original post just in case someone uses it some time! It would be a long walk via Bascous!

I can find accommodation in Dax, and then some more in Peyrehorade, which is handily about 21km later....but then what? Google has found me only expensive hotels that are not exactly en route to St Jean. Anyone have any contacts of not-too-pricey places to stay so that we could hopefully cover about 20km a day? (that might be asking too much! Happy to go to 30km if absolutely necessary, but nothing beyond that....if it's not possible we look for another route)

Did you commence in Dax ?
I wish to do this but continue onto Saint Palais and then Ostabat before crossing the mountains
Any assistance appreciated

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I stayed in Saint Paul les Dax (24-Sep-2013). Next night in Cagnotte followed by Arancou, St Palais and from there to St Jean. I had started from Bordeaux on 17-Sep. The scenery after Dax was such a welcome change after the long flat stretches in Les Landes. All these gites were municipal or specifically pilgrim (St Palais) and very cheap.

Last edited:
I stayed in Saint Paul les Dax (24-Sep-2013). Next night in Cagnotte followed by Arancou, St Palais and from there to St Jean. I had started from Bordeaux on 17-Sep. The scenery after Dax was such a welcome change after the long flat stretches in Les Landes. All these gites were municipal or specifically pilgrim (St Palais) and very cheap.

Thanks Desmond,
Have done Le Puy , lovely friends in Ostobat , redoing Frances and wanted a few days underfoot before going straight over the top.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back