• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 Biarritz -St Jean - Orrison?

Cailin O Eire

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Sarria to Santiago Easter 2014
Hope to walk for 5 days from St Jean Pied De Port to wherever my feet bring me to first week of June 2016
Hi all,
Flying on May 30th Dublin to Biarritz, arriving 12:40 in Biarritz, it's a Saturday.

Have been thinking of getting some walking in that day (only have a week so would like to make most of time but still want to be able to look around me and enjoy it). Is it Feasible to get to St Jean that day, get lunch buy some provisions for the next day and buy my poles and set off walking but with the aim of getting to Orrison for the communal meal at 6:30?

Is there a vegetarian option with this meal? My companion is vegetarian.

If it's a lot of time pressure it's not really how I'd like to start this trip as I want it to be relaxed but if it's doable I'd like to try? I'm not a very fast walker particularly on the steep climb to Orrison, I'd imagine I'd be slow/average?!

Any thoughts or would ye recommend enjoying St Jean and walking on to Rochevalles from St Jean the next day?

Also if one books Orrison and the Napoleon Route ends up closed, do you still pass Orrison on the Alternative route. Just wondering is it a risk to loose the 32 euro payable in advance for the Orisson albergue?

Is it very cold in the Pyrennes in early June late May would I need to pack a fleece? I tend to get very warm walking but I've walked Mount Brandon here and it's less than 1000m when you get to the top it can sometimes be like a different season!

Our flight home is Sat 6th again from Biarritz I hadn't considered getting back to Biarritz from wherever I end up on the Friday, I'm guessing this logistically could be little difficult, should probably have booked an airport in Spain for departure. If anyone reading this will be trying to get back to Biartitz on the 5th of June from 5 days walking from St Jean I'd be happy to look at sharing taxi or discussing options. Happy to go with flow but think might work out more expensive if I haven't planned something in advance!

Thanks for thoughts and suggestions. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Really excited,
Rita

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Okay, you asked lots of questions:
The current timetable for the train from Bayonne to SJPdP has a 14h55 departure arriving at 16h. This will not give you a lot of time to walk up the hill to Orisson for dinner because it takes an average walker about 3 hours. There are alternative ways to get there faster, i.e. taxi share or the van service offered by Caroline.
Spending a day in SJPdP, would be highly recommended with your tight schedule.
Vegen dishes usually mean salads, they are quite accommodating at Orisson but I would mention that requirement to them ahead of time.
You do not walk past the Refuge Orisson if you take the alternate route.
I'm not clear about their refund policy but I do know if you walk there and can't get across the pass, they will drive you to the other route the next morning.
Hopefully by June and late May spring will be in full bloom, hopefully! Do you need a fleece, maybe in the morning mist but by noon you will be sporting a t-shirt and a getting a proper tan.
The logistics of planning your return to Biarritz are not that daunting. In 5 or 6 days you should have reached Puente la Reina or Estella. There is excellent bus service from these towns to San Sebastian and then bus/or train service to Biarritz. (Look at ALSA and Estellesa schedules) It may not be same day service so a lot depends on what time you are flying out of Biarritz. Worse case scenario is you walk as far as Pamplona and head to the airport by bus from there.
I hope this has been helpful.
Buen Camino

Thank you for your informative reply. Ya maybe It would be wise to enjoy St Jean Pied de Port and set out in the morning at least no rushing or racing.

As for a tan, my Irish fair skin and freckles doesn't do tans, I'll probably get a tomato look, I'll peel go white again and be left with one new freckle for my tanning efforts ha!! Hence plenty of factor 50!

Really looking forward to this trip, I'm looking on this forum every day feeling like I'm part of the camino community already ;-)

If I love this second trip as much as my first I really hope I get okayed from work to take 5 weeks together in the future to walk the full Camino Frances.

Thank You
Rita

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It would be wise to enjoy St Jean Pied de Port
I admit to a short attention span, but that takes me about two hours! As you say, there is no reason to rush, but I never find a reason to loiter, either. SJPdP is a small town. I have had a lot of mediocre meals there, but it does have an atmosphere from all the pilgrims preparing to leave. My preference is to join that "leaving" and get on the road. To each is own, of course.:)

You lose the first and last day flying there and back, and another 1/2 day getting back to Biarritz, so aim for Pamplona it's about 70km and a 3 or 4 day walk. If you stay in Pamplona Casa Ibarrola is a great albergue, it's the first one you meet after you go under the arch.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We walked the last week in May last year for 5 days starting in St Jean and flying from Dublin to Biarritz. We stayed the first night in St. Jean and walked to Roncesvallees the 1st day. We finished in Estella, stayed the night there and got a bus the next morning (around 11am) to Irun. We got a taxi to Biarritz which cost 60 euro which wasn't too bad as there were 4 of us but you could get a bus. The bus from Estella was with La estellesa and I think there is an afternoon bus if you want to get to Biarritz on the same day you finish walking.
We're going back in May to walk another week from Estella.
Buen camino.
Audrey

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We walked the last week in May last year for 5 days starting in St Jean and flying from Dublin to Biarritz. We stayed the first night in St. Jean and walked to Roncesvallees the 1st day. We finished in Estella, stayed the night there and got a bus the next morning (around 11am) to Irun. We got a taxi to Biarritz which cost 60 euro which wasn't too bad as there were 4 of us but you could get a bus. The bus from Estella was with La estellesa and I think there is an afternoon bus if you want to get to Biarritz on the same day you finish walking.
We're going back in May to walk another week from Estella.
Buen camino.
Audrey
Yes I think now the plan is to stay in St Jean the first night. It's not until The first week of June and I really can't wait.
Thanks for the info re buses also.
Enjoy it,
Buen Camino
Rita

Y
You lose the first and last day flying there and back, and another 1/2 day getting back to Biarritz, so aim for Pamplona it's about 70km and a 3 or 4 day walk. If you stay in Pamplona Casa Ibarrola is a great albergue, it's the first one you meet after you go under the arch.
My logistics were off, it's a lesson learnt next Camino I'll be booking two seperate airports one for Start and one for end.
Thanks,
Rita

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year I started in Pamplona and I flew into Santander (Ryanair) then 2 buses. Aer Lingus fly into Bilbao and it's only 1 bus to Pamplona. It's a great way to lose time.

Last year I started in Pamplona and I flew into Santander (Ryanair) then 2 buses. Aer Lingus fly into Bilbao and it's only 1 bus to Pamplona. It's a great way to lose time.
True, I think because I flew in and out of Santiago last year for Sarria to Santiago trip It didn't occur to me I was snookering myself out of a day. Maybe it's a sign my legs wouldn't be able for that extra day ha ;-).

The first day St.Jean to Roncevalles is hard, a lot of people stay in Orission but that is 3 - 3 1/2 hrs walk and its in the middle of nowhere. If you take your time its doable.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all,
Also if one books Orrison and the Napoleon Route ends up closed, do you still pass Orrison on the Alternative route. Just wondering is it a risk to loose the 32 euro payable in advance for the Orisson albergue?
If you book into Orrison and Route Napoleon ends up closed, you will be reimbursed. This happened to me in early April 2013. The only hiccup I encountered here is that the reimbursement is made through PayPal (I had paid through PayPal) and PayPal gives you I think 30 days to 'accept' the reimbursement. I was not prepared for this, and since I did not have access to my PayPal password, and would not have access to it within the 30 day period, I had to email the proprietor of Orrison and explain my situation to him. It was not until I got home several weeks later that I got it all sorted out.

I think you said you were going in June so, hopefully, the Route Napoleon will be open, beautiful and spectacular. Happy planning and Buen Camino.:)

Hello Cailin,
Was wondering how far you got to in the end. Im planning the same trip from Dublin and the same length of time - Hoping to get to Estella and back to Biarritz for the flight in 5 days. Not sure where else I could fly back from to Ireland without rerouting to Biarritz? Did ye prebook accommodation? Never been and going solo so any tips will be welcomed! Thanks a million... Yvonne

Hello Cailin,
Was wondering how far you got to in the end. Im planning the same trip from Dublin and the same length of time - Hoping to get to Estella and back to Biarritz for the flight in 5 days. Not sure where else I could fly back from to Ireland without rerouting to Biarritz? Did ye prebook accommodation? Never been and going solo so any tips will be welcomed! Thanks a million... Yvonne
Hi Yvonne,
I haven't been yet, flying May 30th is this before or after your trip? I will update you on return if it is before.
Have made a decision to not book ahead. Should be in St JPDeP for about 2-3 on the Saturday, the plan is to go straight to the pilgrim office and they should sort us for accomodation. Hope to walk onto Roncevelles(spelt wrong) the first day but maybe stop just before it Zubiri and try for accomodation there . I too was hoping to get to Estella.
I got a 25l/30l pack in Lidl few weeks back, I made the mistake of carrying a 45l pack last year and wasn't able for it, I had to start forwarding it on. I did Sarria to Santiago Easter week last year and caught the camino bug! Expect to want to go back after finishing your trip!!
Plan to get a taxi share with express Bouricott from Biarritz to StJPdePort I'm hoping it will work out at 18 which would be the minimum I think if it's a full taxi. If you go to express Bouricott website at the bottom of the page they show taxis leaving various airports that have been booked already and you can contact them to add yourself into it. You can get a train to Bayonne I think and a bus from there to StJPdePort but if your in a full taxi the extra is only about 10€ so would be worth it to go direct. Pack Light, very light!!
You will love it :)
Rita

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rita,

Given that you have so little time why not limit your Camino walk to Pamplona. Bayonne is beautiful, SJPP is beautiful and surprise surprise so is Pamplona.

Use this year's Camino as a training walk, suss out your fitness, gear and equipment and gain a clearer understanding of your motivation, objectives, drive, desires etc as regards your Camino.

Bayonne has a stunning Cathedral with amazing local artisan shops and great food. They love their rugby so might be able to take in a game in the local grounds.

SJPP is post card beautiful, again amazing shops. Spend an extra day there and watch the pilgrims arrive Get up early to see them depart from the front of the church. Go to Mass (not offered everyday), get a pilgrim blessing and the church stamp on your pilgrim passport.

Spend a night in Orrison. Bring food for the next day for a picnic in the Pyrennes or buy one in Orrison. The weather in the Pyrennes can change in seconds regardless if time of year so go prepared. Bring a few bin liners if nothing else as they will give some protection in the event you decide on not bringing a rain jacket or poncho.

Pamplona is cool and there is a bus to San Sabastian (also beautiful) from where you can get a bus to Birritz (cheap except for early morning).

Buen Camino

Rita,

Given that you have so little time why not limit your Camino walk to Pamplona. Bayonne is beautiful, SJPP is beautiful and surprise surprise so is Pamplona.

Use this year's Camino as a training walk, suss out your fitness, gear and equipment and gain a clearer understanding of your motivation, objectives, drive, desires etc as regards your Camino.

Bayonne has a stunning Cathedral with amazing local artisan shops and great food. They love their rugby so might be able to take in a game in the local grounds.

SJPP is post card beautiful, again amazing shops. Spend an extra day there and watch the pilgrims arrive Get up early to see them depart from the front of the church. Go to Mass (not offered everyday), get a pilgrim blessing and the church stamp on your pilgrim passport.

Spend a night in Orrison. Bring food for the next day for a picnic in the Pyrennes or buy one in Orrison. The weather in the Pyrennes can change in seconds regardless if time of year so go prepared. Bring a few bin liners if nothing else as they will give some protection in the event you decide on not bringing a rain jacket or poncho.

Pamplona is cool and there is a bus to San Sabastian (also beautiful) from where you can get a bus to Birritz (cheap except for early morning).

Buen Camino
Your post makes me want to go tomorrow! This would be nice. I'd love to do the full Camino Frances in one go with spare days to stop and start as I wish. I guess because I'm not booking ahead my camino can be what feels right on a given day so maybe when I get there I will end up only getting as far as Pamplona.
Thanks for inspiring me!
Rita

Hi Yvonne,
I haven't been yet, flying May 30th is this before or after your trip? I will update you on return if it is before.
Have made a decision to not book ahead. Should be in St JPDeP for about 2-3 on the Saturday, the plan is to go straight to the pilgrim office and they should sort us for accomodation. Hope to walk onto Roncevelles(spelt wrong) the first day but maybe stop just before it Zubiri and try for accomodation there . I too was hoping to get to Estella.
I got a 25l/30l pack in Lidl few weeks back, I made the mistake of carrying a 45l pack last year and wasn't able for it, I had to start forwarding it on. I did Sarria to Santiago Easter week last year and caught the camino bug! Expect to want to go back after finishing your trip!!
Plan to get a taxi share with express Bouricott from Biarritz to StJPdePort I'm hoping it will work out at 18 which would be the minimum I think if it's a full taxi. If you go to express Bouricott website at the bottom of the page they show taxis leaving various airports that have been booked already and you can contact them to add yourself into it. You can get a train to Bayonne I think and a bus from there to StJPdePort but if your in a full taxi the extra is only about 10€ so would be worth it to go direct. Pack Light, very light!!
You will love it :)
Rita
Rita, thanks for such a quick and helpful reply. I will look into the taxi option. I'm thinking of July or August to have a week and hope to 100km. I was looking at that route also to Santigao but think I'd prefer to do the start. It sounds amazing! I would be delighted to hear how you get on. Have a ball.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Rita, I hope you had a great time!. Would love to hear how you got on sometime. Thanks, Yvonne
Hi Yvonne,
I can some it up quiet easily, I left my heart their. I want to go back and keep walking to the end!!
I went solo but wasn't solo for long met people day one and we became a camino family, walking with each other or at least in sight of each other for the week. My camino family are still walking, I'm so envious of them.
I never felt afraid or fear, it's really busy at present, I think if someone fell there would be a domino of ppl falling!!
I didn't stay In Orrison walked on the 5 days as far as Estella. If I was walking the full camino Frances maybe I would but with limited time I thought I'd aim to get around 20km each day.
We always stayed in the municipal albergue and ranged in price from 5 to 10€. Pilgrim meals or Menu del Dia were always €10 where we stopped.
Left for 6 each morning to avoid the heat.
No need for a sleeping bag, a liner would be fine it's too hot!
Any other questions you might have let me know ;-)
Rita

Hi Rita, I hope you had a great time!. Would love to hear how you got on sometime. Thanks, Yvonne
Also we never booked ahead. If you leave early chances are you will get a bed before completo, if you leave at 8 I'd say the municipal albergues might be full where they are smaller, I recall in one town the completo sign went up about half hour after we arrived, only 2:30 or 3 in the day. So leave early avoid the real hot sun and it also gives you a better chance of choice about a bed
Rita

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Rita
Thanks a mill for the reply. I can sense your love for the Camino. Delighted you had such a nice time.
That's great I was going to ask did you book ahead accommodation wise.
How did you find travelling to and from Biarritz?
I was also looking at flying into Biarritz and out of Bilbao but as ill be solo I really want the most straight forward route so as not to be worried about bus transfers etc..
Did you walk on the first day?
Thanks
Y

I didn't walk the first day got to St Jean about 2 and just wandered around, booked into Bellari albergue when I got their they were open and not full, it was 30 you got Dinner which was a communal meal and great fun and good way to meet others and breakfast all for 30. Walked every day with 2 ppl I met at this albergue and another girl who we met on the road and a guy I met on the plane, we walked every day together.
I booked express Bouricott to get me from Biarritz to St Jean. Disadvantage of flying home from Biarritz was I didn't walk on the Friday as I had to travel back to Biarritz from Estella (1 bus 1 train) If you could fly from somewhere in Spain to go home it would probably make better sense.
You could walk to Orrison on first day it takes 3-4 hrs I guess and you need to book ahead and be there in time for communal meal in the evening.
Any other questions just ask, I'll let you know how I got on.
Rita

You can fly into Santander (Ryanair) and get a bus from the airport to Bilbao and then get a bus to Pamplona, or fly to Bilbao (Aer Lingus) and bus to Pamplona. Either way would be quicker than flying into Biarritz.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much guys for the replies. Do you mean start in Pamplona and walk back to SJJP or on to Logrona. I will only have days so trying to maximise the time. Rita, were the buses/trains quite frequent to get back or did you over night in Biarritz the night before you flew back. Good to know I wouldn't need to bring a sleeping bag also.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back