• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 Irun/San Sebastian -recommendations please

Jesso

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - SJPDP to Muxia - (2016)
de Madrid (2018)
Norte + Primitivo (start 24 June 2019)
Hi,

I am going to be a little tight with the number of days I have to walk from San Sebastián to Santiago. I’ve decided (for now) that I’m going to merge on to the Primitivo from the Norte.

I have read wonderful things about the first day of the Norte from Irun to San Sebastián and if possible, don’t want to miss at least a little of it, but I also want to take a bit of time to relax as the next few weeks leading up to my camino are pretty hectic.

I’ll be travelling from Singapore and have 2 nights in San Sebastián to before beginning my Camino. I arrive in the afternoon of the first night and have one full day to relax before I walk out of San Sebastián. I need to get my credential and would also like time to enjoy San Sebastián.

If I only have time to walk one section, would you recommend walking from Irun to Pasajes de San Pedro or Pasajes de San Pedro to San Sebastian (or the reverse direction)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your recommendations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just did this route yesterday and the day before. In my opinion, Irún to Pasaia is far and away the winner. I had two completely cloudless days and it was absolutely AMAZING. I took the high route (purgatorio) which gives views both north and south. If the weather is bad, rain, fog, etc., I wouldn’t do either one as you wouldn’t see anything and the trsil would be very dangerous.8E597A6C-0889-4164-8693-2873351E4681.jpeg5DF48360-66B0-4704-AF1A-23404D0DF8CD.jpeg8E597A6C-0889-4164-8693-2873351E4681.jpeg

Thank you for your recommendation and sharing your photos, I’m excited to begin walking!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Suggest you start in the old town in Hondarribbia and go the whole way to San Sebastián. This shorts the day just a bit which helps make it more enjoyable. Seriously this is just about the best day on whole Norte. We walked it on a seriously cloudy day that turned to pure sunshine as the day went on. The high route on Jaizkebik was fanstatic with the mist coming and going, walking down to the Passaje was great and the coastline along from there really beautiful before the final descent to the wonderful San Sebastián. Just remembering it now makes me want to go and do it again!!

Thanks, TimH. Good to know! It sounds like the best start to a month of walking!

Suggest you start in the old town in Hondarribbia and go the whole way to San Sebastián. This shorts the day just a bit which helps make it more enjoyable. Seriously this is just about the best day on whole Norte. We walked it on a seriously cloudy day that turned to pure sunshine as the day went on. The high route on Jaizkebik was fanstatic with the mist coming and going, walking down to the Passaje was great and the coastline along from there really beautiful before the final descent to the wonderful San Sebastián. Just remembering it now makes me want to go and do it again!!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back