• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 Irun vs Hondarribia?

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
I’m starting my C del Norte March 1st alone. The only open accommodation Day 1 is San Sebastien so it would be a demanding 24k first day given the climbs. The Casa rural Postigu in Zimizarga outskirts of Hondarribia (not cheap but maybe worth the peace of mind) only 0.4km from the Santuario de Guadalupe vs 4.4km if I was to start in Irun. That means my first day would be 20k. Has anyone any thoughts on starting in the outskirts of Hondarribias or from a place in Hondarribia? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Depends on your normal distances. My comment from my Camino Norte blog in 2021 states - Got away a little later than standard owing in part to the poor nights sleep because it was so hot. However, had a quick breakfast and left at 0830. A good days walk thereafter ending in San Sebastian at about 3pm. The walk was primarily along good woodland tracks with some pretty hefty climbs. Stopped about 4 Kms before the end for a lovely lunch of calamari and prawns. I think we walked about 28 Kms today which was a bit further than planned because last nights AdP was a further away from the start and today's is at the far end of town. Feet and legs are fine although we probably walked a bit too fast for so early in the hike. I think we are both too stubborn to say slow down. The start of this Camino certainly seems more demanding than the Camino Frances.

Depends on your normal distances. My comment from my Camino Norte blog in 2021 states - Got away a little later than standard owing in part to the poor nights sleep because it was so hot. However, had a quick breakfast and left at 0830. A good days walk thereafter ending in San Sebastian at about 3pm. The walk was primarily along good woodland tracks with some pretty hefty climbs. Stopped about 4 Kms before the end for a lovely lunch of calamari and prawns. I think we walked about 28 Kms today which was a bit further than planned because last nights AdP was a further away from the start and today's is at the far end of town. Feet and legs are fine although we probably walked a bit too fast for so early in the hike. I think we are both too stubborn to say slow down. The start of this Camino certainly seems more demanding than the Camino Frances.

Thanks, I averaged 25-35km/day in 2017 on the CF but I like to start with shorter distances to avoid injury and blisters. I think I’ll start from the casa rural near Hondarribia, they are almost booked up so thinking they must be pilgrims....who,else would vacation in wet March in Hondarribia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another way to shave 4 km:
Once you get across at Pasajes de San Juan, rather than follow the way to the right back in the mountain, just go straight ahead and reach San Sebastian following the main road (sidewalk all the way).
You could decide if this a valuable option once you reach that point.
Hope you enjoy the Norte.

I will start around the 15th of May and am considering to fly to San Sebastian. The airport is very close to Hondiribia. I read somewhere just 3 minutes by bus. I understand that Hondiribia is a very nice place, without an albergue though.
By starting here I would not see Irun. Would that be a great loss?

I will start around the 15th of May and am considering to fly to San Sebastian. The airport is very close to Hondiribia. I read somewhere just 3 minutes by bus. I understand that Hondiribia is a very nice place, without an albergue though.

I’m arriving in airing by bus, will see Irun then continue Hondarribias. All within walking distances. The guides say Hondarribias is more historical vs Irun.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Irún is not much of a tourist destination, though at the end of town furthest from the albergue, there is a nice old core with a plaza and some bars, etc. You would not be missing much, IMO. Hondarribia is a very touristy place, but it is very pretty and a lot of fun to walk around for an afternoon. If you want to stay in the albergue in Irún, you could hop on a bus and go over and back to Hondarribia for a few hours. That's what I did when @NualaOC was staying in Hondarribia and I was in Irún in a hotel!

Also, I walked from the SS airport into Irún and it was about a 20 minute walk on the side of the road, very quick and easy.

and reach San Sebastian following the main road (sidewalk all the way)

And take the low route from Santuario de Guadelupe instead of the high route. (Probably the best idea in March anyway.) You could then stay in a cheaper pension in Hondarribia. (There is at least one on booking.com).
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And take the low route from Santuario de Guadelupe instead of the high route. (Probably the best idea in March anyway.) You could then stay in a cheaper pension in Hondarribia. (There is at least one on booking.com).
Jill

Thanks, I will assess weather and ridge route conditions when in Hondarribias, therevare many cheaper places but since my flight costs 16.99€ I can allow for a little luxury at the start.

Irun is not the most scenic start, so the walk up the mountain from Hondarribias sounds like a great option. The only thing I would miss is the symbolic walk across the river from France to Spain using the little pedestrian bridge from Hendaye (the train station is a couple 100 metres from the bridge) into Irun. The Irun albergue was welcoming but somewhat cramped I recall, so no huge loss there either.

Walking the north coast I must admit is quite a brave thing to do. I hope the weather gods are with you (the year I walked in mid April/May was sunny and pleasant but the Norte and Primitivo can be quite an adventure in early spring). Albergues that are open could be a bit of a challenge and not sure what the pilgrim traffic is like so it would be good if you like your own path to yourself.

I too plan to arrive in Spain on March 1st (from Toronto to Bilbao via London) and briefly toyed with walking the Norte/Primitivo, but decided to do a more leisurely Camino this time and probably just bus it to Pamplona and walk the CF to SdC in "off season". I'm just getting my fitness in anyway before heading to the Lycian Way in Turkey at the start of April for some bigger ups and downs and a little Mediterranean too.

Enjoy one of the most beautiful camino routes!

Irun is not the most scenic start, so the walk up the mountain from Hondarribias sounds like a great option. The only thing I would miss is the symbolic walk across the river from France to Spain using the little pedestrian bridge from Hendaye (the train station is a couple 100 metres from the bridge) into Irun. The Irun albergue was welcoming but somewhat cramped I recall, so no huge loss there either.

Walking the north coast I must admit is quite a brave thing to do. I hope the weather gods are with you (the year I walked in mid April/May was sunny and pleasant but the Norte and Primitivo can be quite an adventure in early spring). Albergues that are open could be a bit of a challenge and not sure what the pilgrim traffic is like so it would be good if you like your own path to yourself.

I too plan to arrive in Spain on March 1st (from Toronto to Bilbao via London) and briefly toyed with walking the Norte/Primitivo, but decided to do a more leisurely Camino this time and probably just bus it to Pamplona and walk the CF to SdC in "off season". I'm just getting my fitness in anyway before heading to the Lycian Way in Turkey at the start of April for some bigger ups and downs and a little Mediterranean too.

Enjoy one of the most beautiful camino routes!

Thank you fellow Canuck. I fly from Slovakia to Girona Feb 26 and will make my way to Irun by train vía Zaragoza and Pamplona. My plan was to arrive in Irun early Feb 28, do the bridge thing, get my credential then head on to walk Hondarribias. I really praying that I meet another pilgrim if only to have someone aware that I’m on the camino. SoyGalego here walked last February and shared his experience. If it’s too lonely I’ll cut down tomthe Frances. I don’t plan on doing the Primitivo but to continue on Northern. I walked the Frances-Fisterra-Muxia last March and yes the weather was amazing especially for a Canuck....rain and a sprinkle of snow only 2 days in 39. You’ll be happy to escape the horrible winter.....I’m usually in Ottawa but not this winter. Thanks again and buen camino in Turkey (beautiful people, food, med coast).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Colette, you've got lots of good advice here. Here are a couple of other suggestions that might be helpful.

Firstly, when you're booking accommodation in Hondarribia, make sure you check its precise location on something like Google maps. Some of the private options are quite far from the Camino. And if you're thinking of staying in Hondarribia itself, the old town is lovely. I stayed in the Hotel Palacate (the time I met @peregrina2000) and it was a really cute little place. If you prefer something more luxurious, the nearby Parador looks very nice!

When I first walked this part of the Norte, I walked from Hendaye and Irún to the Capitan Tximita albergue on the day I arrived in Spain. That suited my timings and shaved a few kms off the first day's walk. There are also some private accommodations in the the same area as the albergue.

I also noticed that some pilgrims took a taxi from either Irún on Hondarribia to the Santuario de Guadelupe, which is a nice place to begin a Camino. That shortens the first day by 5kms and cuts out a lot of road walking.

And just to confuse you even further .... when I walked this route last September with my husband, we didn't stay in either Irún or Hondarribia - we spent two nights in San Sebastian. For that first day of walking, we took the 6.30am airport bus to Amute, which is just outside Irún , and the last stop before San Sebastian airport. The bus took just 25 mins and we basically just sauntered back to San Sebastian, stopping for a long lunch in Pasaia. As we'd left much of our gear in the hotel, our packs were nice and light. That might be an awkward arrangement for you, but it worked really well for us.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Hi Colette, you've got lots of good advice here. Here are a couple of other suggestions that might be helpful.

Firstly, when you're booking accommodation in Hondarribia, make sure you check its precise location on something like Google maps. Some of the private options are quite far from the Camino. And if you're thinking of staying in Hondarribia itself, the old town is lovely. I stayed in the Hotel Palacate (the time I met @peregrina2000) and it was a really cute little place. If you prefer something more luxurious, the nearby Parador looks very nice!

When I first walked this part of the Norte, I walked from Hendaye and Irún to the Capitan Tximita albergue on the day I arrived in Spain. That suited my timings and shaved a few kms off the first day's walk. There are also some private accommodations in the the same area as the albergue.

I also noticed that some pilgrims took a taxi from either Irún on Hondarribia to the Santuario de Guadelupe, which is a nice place to begin a Camino. That shortens the first day by 5kms and cuts out a lot of road walking.

And just to confuse you even further .... when I walked this route last September with my husband, we didn't stay in either Irún or Hondarribia - we spent two nights in San Sebastian. For that first day of walking, we took the 6.30am airport bus to Amute, which is just outside Irún , and the last stop before San Sebastian airport. The bus took just 25 mins and we basically just sauntered back to San Sebastian, stopping for a long lunch in Pasaia. As we'd left much of our gear in the hotel, our packs were nice and light. That might be an awkward arrangement for you, but it worked really well for us.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Thanks for the suggestions and yes I did google map the Casa Rural Postigu. I’ve emailed them and asked about accessing the Santuario de Guadalupe but they’ve yet to reply. Here’s a google map blue is google walk route to the Santuario and the red arrow I figure takes you to the path/Road going up to the Santuario. If you know differently let me know.

Attachments

• 93F9C177-E660-46E7-8D40-C06F653E95D2.jpeg
    93F9C177-E660-46E7-8D40-C06F653E95D2.jpeg
    945.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the suggestions and yes I did google map the Casa Rural Postigu. I’ve emailed them and asked about accessing the Santuario de Guadalupe but they’ve yet to reply. Here’s a google map blue is google walk route to the Santuario and the red arrow I figure takes you to the path/Road going up to the Santuario. If you know differently let me know.

That looks perfect, Colette. It seems like a short walk to Guadelupe - definitely shorter than from Hondarribia itself (which is a nice place to visit, if you have the time). I'm sure the people in the casa will give you directions when you're setting off.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m starting my C del Norte March 1st alone. The only open accommodation Day 1 is San Sebastien so it would be a demanding 24k first day given the climbs. The Casa rural Postigu in Zimizarga outskirts of Hondarribia (not cheap but maybe worth the peace of mind) only 0.4km from the Santuario de Guadalupe vs 4.4km if I was to start in Irun. That means my first day would be 20k. Has anyone any thoughts on starting in the outskirts of Hondarribias or from a place in Hondarribia? Thanks.

there is an albergue juvenil in the northern part of hondarribia: http://www.gipuzkoangazte.eus/es/albergues/albergues-tarifas/albergue-hondarribia. pilgrims who stayed there reported that there is a direct way waymarked to guadalupe.

albergue capitan tximista says it opens upon reservation: http://www.capitantximista.com/public_home/ctrl_home.php.

there is an albergue juvenil in the northern part of hondarribia: http://www.gipuzkoangazte.eus/es/albergues/albergues-tarifas/albergue-hondarribia. pilgrims who stayed there reported that there is a direct way waymarked to guadalupe.

albergue capitan tximista says it opens upon reservation: http://www.capitantximista.com/public_home/ctrl_home.php.[/QUOTE

Thanks, I’ve contacted the a Casa Rural,Postigu situated just below the Santuario. The older lady owner was super pleasant. The Camino is nearvthe casa rural with 15 min on foot to the Sanctuario.....that puts me 20 km max tomSan Sebastien.

Hi again Colette, I think you've found the perfect place to start your Camino!

FYI: I noticed this review on Booking.com:
I walked from the beach, 2.7 Klm. Lovely chalet with fabulous views. Madam understands NO English but google translate to the rescue. Madam purchased gluten free crackers for my morning breakfast - very thoughtful. If you walk there remember there is NO food available but there is a kitchen for your use. Gratis tea coffee and juice. I began Camino del Norte from here and ermita Guadalupe is maybe 1.5 - 2 Klm from the chalet. Very comfortable clean room, some noise from above, but quiet. Y 10:45. I would stay again.

I'll put this on my list for next time :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks NualaOC, yes I called the Casa Rural. Fortunately I speak Spanish. She was very helpful, saying they are beside the Camino path and 15 min from the Santuario. I’ll post once I meet there and verify for future pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.