• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 - Lisbon And Onwards

rmckay

Time of past OR future Camino
Well, we are on the road again. Started from Lisbon today and plan to be in SDC in about 32-35 days. Taking it easy. Most of today was on cobblestone paths and through residential and industrial areas. I dont know what all the fuss is about walking on cobblestones, I found it kind of cathartic. I was hard to leave Lisbon, it was wonderfully cultural with a mixture of Muslim and Christian history and culture. Have only seen one other pilgrim today. An Italian gent looking where he could get his cambrio at the Cathedral, just as we started out. It's just inside the door to the right at the reception desk/gift. No worries about the weather, its 24C and sunny. No rain on the horizon. www.russandjan.com

DAY 2 - Parque de naceos to Villa Franc de Xira
IMG_0089.JPG

Again a perfect day for a stroll 24-26C, sunny, light breeze coming off the Tajo. The path was mainly Board walks, farm fields, dirt tracks and some main roads (about 5km of the 31km on main roads). Today we received our first Bom Camino (3 actually). We also received and accepted our first act of charity, potable water when we had run out. For those that have completed the Camino Frances, this is nothing like that. The Frances has existed for hundreds of years and the business of the camino has built up massive support infrastructure. People in Lisbon and onwards are generally going about the business of business and are oblivious to the camino. Where I have said in the past that the camino will provide, not so in the case of the Camino Portugues, you need to plan and prepare and be self sufficient. Another small point, many blogs and other sources of information that are more than a few years old are out of date. So far there has been very little road walking with heavy traffic, maybe 3km today around the cement works area.

Day 3 - Porte du Muge.

What can I say, again a perfect day for a walk. Sunny, slight breeze 24-26c.

We made a change to the plan and skipped the walk along the motorway from Villa Franca de Xira to Ajambuja. After yesterdy's near misses walking along the highway we were worried that this would be too dangerous. So we caught the train, for Euros2.1 each and in 15 minutes we were in Ajambuja. From there we started our walk along country roads, through fields and along the riverside. It's early spring and the fields are green, farmers are planting seedlings, and early flowers are appearing. It's a stark contrast to the dried fields and dead sunflowers from our previous Camino's in Autumn.

Our host in Ville Franca de Xira, Mario (Hotel Xira) , gave us a list of potential accommodations and contact numbers. These are run by people that are supporting the Portugues Camino and opening up their homes and business in the Camino style.

Now that we are outside of Lisbon and its surrounds, the costs have plummeted. Food and drink is much cheaper as is accommodation.
Quinta do Burra,
Quardo sabigeiro 177
2070-503 valata
Porto de muge
Is up and running. Paula has 3 rooms 6-9 beds, with ensuite bathrooms. Cost was E20/room including breakfast. Dinner was provided and you pay by donation.
It's actually 2km from the bar/cafe in Porto de Muge and its the last property on the right as you exit town.

Day 4 - Walked to Santarem, a couple of km shorter than expected based on staying at Paula's last night. The last 1.5km into Santarem is all up hill on a road with no where to escape the cars.
The walk was mainly through/along side fields. All being prepared for planting. Along with some vineyards. Apart from the last 1.5km, it was a flat easy walk along dirt tracks. The cafe/Restuarant at the foot of the hill into Santarem was interesting. We learned from the husband and wife running it that their son was a bullfighter, and we actually met him briefly. The entire restaurant is decked out in bullfighting memorabilia. Oh did I say, another perfect day for a walk 26-28c, sunny. Etc.
Met our first Pigrim today, walking to Santiago de Compostela on his own. An American who hurried past. We past him again just before Santarem sitting in the sun and reading Brierleys guide

Day 5 & 6, Fatima.

Ok so we are a little of the path now. We took a detour to Fatima for Palm Sunday Mass. Quite the affair, approx.10,000 people at an outdoor mass. A clear sunny day, perfect for sitting out doors. We bused it in from Santarem, Euro9.9 each, and about 40 minutes on an express bus. We will bus it out again and continue our Camino.

Day 7 Tomar to Alvaiazere

The route is well signed with the usual yellow arrows. The walk out of Tomar took us past a bullfighting ring and onto a path the ran along side a river.

Casais now has a potable water fountain and seats to rest on, thanks to the good citizens of Tomar/Casais

All was good until we started going up hill, sometimes the hills seemed never ending. While one had a warning of 10 degrees incline for cars, some tracks would have been to steep for any vehicle. A lot the walk was through eucalyptus plantations. Some of which are being logged at the moment, and the logging trucks and other vehicles had churned up the tracks making them hard to traverse. They would be impossible in the rain.

Day 8 - Alvaiazere to Ansiao

Most of today was on quite country roads and dirt tracks. Up hill and down dale. Quite an easy day. No services of any kind, so stock up on water and snacks in Alvaiazere the night before.

Day 9 -Ansiao to Rabacal

Ansiao to Rabacal.
Lets not kid ourselves, the Camino Portuguese is hilly, very hilly. It took us two days to walk over the mountain between Alvaiazere and Ansiao. Today we hit multiple hills on the way to Rabacal. There is very little support out here, so the need to carry enough water is high, and every litre of water is 1kg. Allow 0.5 litre/per hour in hot weather. Today was 32c.
There is a café and mercado at Alvorge, with a very nice proprietor. That's the last chance to catch a break before Rabacal.
Rabacal now has two Albergues, the municipal albergue at the Centro Turismo. They have different phone numbers on the door to call, for english, Spanish and Portuguese speakers. Very useful. But despite information in other blogs, they do not provide meals. Internet is only available downstairs in the lounge area. They have a kitchen for self catering. Bedrooms have a bathroom. Euro15/person. (sheets/blankets/towel/soap included). There is also an Albergue at the Café Bonito, Euro10/person, shared rooms/shared bathroom etc. They also do meals for an additional cost.
The route is well marked with yellow arrows. If you miss one, there are blue arrows going in the other direction. The camino now follows the "New" Camino Portuguese, which eliminates much of the walking on busy roads.

Day 10 - Rabacal to Coimbra.

It's getting busier with two way traffic now. Saw our first group of Pilgrims on the road heading to Fatima today. While we where expecting hills, and some of them have been described as steep they didn't seem too bad. The routes are well marked, with plenty of new arrows to SDC.
Also as this Easter school holidays in Portugal we are competing with locals for accommodation.

Had an incident with dogs in a small village, Fonte Corbete, where irresponsible dog owners had left there Donga roaming the streets and we were chased out of town by a small pack of dogs. Yet the town has setup a picnic area and drinking fountain at the end of town for pilgrims. Go figure!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, we are on the road again. Started from Lisbon today and plan to be in SDC in about 32-35 days. Taking it easy. Most of today was on cobblestone paths and through residential and industrial areas. I dont know what all the fuss is about walking on cobblestones, I found kind of cathartic. I was hard to leave Lisbon, it was wonderfully cultural with a mixture of Muslim and Christian history and culture. Have only seen one other pilgrim today. An Italian gent looking where he could get his cambrio at the Cathedral, just as we started out. It's just inside the door to the right at the reception desk/gift. No worries about the weather, its 24C and sunny. No rain on the horizon.
looking forward to following you as my son and I are leaving Lisbon beginning of June
Buen Camino

Bom Caminho rmckay! I also enjoyed Lisbon and all of Portugal as well as the people and the food. Have a great time and be safe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, we are on the road again. Started from Lisbon today and plan to be in SDC in about 32-35 days. Taking it easy. Most of today was on cobblestone paths and through residential and industrial areas. I dont know what all the fuss is about walking on cobblestones, I found kind of cathartic. I was hard to leave Lisbon, it was wonderfully cultural with a mixture of Muslim and Christian history and culture. Have only seen one other pilgrim today. An Italian gent looking where he could get his cambrio at the Cathedral, just as we started out. It's just inside the door to the right at the reception desk/gift. No worries about the weather, its 24C and sunny. No rain on the horizon.
Hi, rmckay, did you stay in the albergue in Alpriate on your first night? I was there last week to say hi, and the hospitaleros tell me that every day people walk by surprised to see that there is an albergue there (20 km from the cathedral), so I am trying to help them spread the word! IMO, it's a better first day stop than Verdelha (off route a bit), especially if you want to stop and see the Tile Museum on your way out of Lisbon.

Looking forward to hearing all about it from you, bom caminho, Laurie

Walked 6days from Lisbon. Alberque at Alpriate was great. The paths have been amazing and the weather perfect. Can't understand those who complain of mainroads, had no problems so far. Even the stage from Vila Nova da Rainha to Azambuja is now waymarked to the path behind the railway, avoiding the 6,5km on the mainroad N-3. Tonight staying in Azinhaga.
Ps. Had to pass the Tile museum opening too Late for us(10am).
Bom Caminho

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, rmckay, did you stay in the albergue in Alpriate on your first night? I was there last week to say hi, and the hospitaleros tell me that every day people walk by surprised to see that there is an albergue there (20 km from the cathedral), so I am trying to help them spread the word! IMO, it's a better first day stop than Verdelha (off route a bit), especially if you want to stop and see the Tile Museum on your way out of Lisbon.

Looking forward to hearing all about it from you, bom caminho, Laurie
No we stayed in parque de naceos. Which nearly turned into a disaster, as there was a rock concert on and all the accommodation was full. We managed to find an apartment though. We had planned to stay in Alpiarte, but stayed too long in Lisbon sightseeing.

I walked out of Lisbon yesterday.
Lovely weather, but my hips only lasted til Parque de Naceos.
Decided to stay at the Youth hostel there.
No beds, a concert on. It filled Alpriate too.
Had to get the metro back to Lisbon.
Tomorrow I'll metro back to Parque and have a gentle walk up to Apriate.
Met one pilgrim just started, Eric from Austin Texas.
Was stopped by two others, ladies from the US who will start from Apriate after a visit to Sintra. We went to the tile museum together.
Good travelling everyone. Look forward to perchance meeting up with you.
Regards
Gerard

I am currently walking. I Santarem at the moment. Have to confess to having to get on the train today as my feet just gave out. I stayed at Alpriate, a wonderful place to be welcomed and cared for. My first Camino angel was Eric (a mentioned in a previous response) then yesterday Carmella. Not
Many pilgrims but they seem to appear when needed. Tomorrow Fatima (a bit of rest for the blisters) and then on the track again. I look forward to meeting you on the way. Bom Camhino Cheryl

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ok, a mini disaster has struck. I am walking this Camino with my wife, and she has developed blisters on her little toes that press up against her shoes. They are so painful she cannot walk, so we have jumped ahead to Porto to rest for a few days. So we are enjoying having a rest. However Porto makes me very nervous, there appear to be gangs/groups of youths that are acting like they are pickpockets/thieves (distraction behavior/loud noises/bumping into people). For the first time in a long time I am very aware that I am under threat. This is only in the main shopping streets of old Porto. Other areas seem fine.

Happy easter days are here again. Still no rush for beds. Albergue at Mealhada was half full yesterday. Now staying in albergue de pergrina st. Antonio at Agueda. Great accommodation. All the the restaurants on the river banks are open and locals spending great time of easter in most beautiful weather. Today in the morning we saw at Aguada de baixo local easter ceremony with a " coctailparty" after the mass and priests going from house to house wishing - Boa Pasqua -while ringing the bells. Joined to the party as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After a 4 day layover in Porto, we decided to continue. Blisters healing nicely. Leaving Lisbon is a slog up hill, through suburbs and industrial areas. Much better to get the train to Vilar do Pinheiro and begin from there. Also there are a number of official diverted sections that move away from the main roads. This is a vast improvement done in the pat couple of years. We stayed at Casa da Laura in Vilharinho. Highly recommended. CJ's Cafe, just 50metres away does pilgrims meals for 8 euros and is open at 7am for breakfast.

We are up to day 20, Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes. Tomorrow we reach Spain. The walk over Alto da Portelo is grueling and should not be attempted by anyone with an injury or heart condition. It is a steady climb from Arcozelo, not Arco as many guides state. The very steep parts are after Arco, and in many cases on tracks that have been washed out by rain. Also there are loggers working between Arcozelo and Arco, and their vehicles have destroyed the tracks making them hard to walk on.
A couple of recent highaight.
Casa do Rio is a must stay, overnight and it is heaven. Spoil yourself.
Ponte de Lima is a town worthy of a 2 night stay, sit on the river bank and watch the sun go down with a bottle of wine. You've earned it.

Sorry folks, I have been a little slack in filing updates. We made it to Santiago without any problems and have decided to keep walking to Finisterre and Muxia. I will, I promise, when time permits share all the gory details with you. A couple of biggies, 1) the PC is nothing like the CF, you need to be prepared and fit. 2) walking in and out of cities like Lisbon, Porto and Tui sucks. They all have major industrial areas suburbs to walk through ( skip it, get a taxi), its ugly. 3) don't expect the same support as the CF, and expect to stay in hotels ( and increase the $ budget) 4) once you get past Porto the situation improves, 5) once you get a full day out of Tui, it's exactly the same as walking CF. 6) many towns don't really want pilgrims, so they bypass you through the ugly back streets which actually run parallel to the much more picturesque main streets.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We all see these things by different eyes. We have loved every moment since Lisbon. Walking into those Cities and walking out of them. Just walked the riverside in Porto on rest day and took Metro next morning to Matosinhos. Da Costa route has been amazing. Actually the path on hillside out of Vigo is spctacularious. Today reached Pontevedra. The amount of pilgrims ingreased dramaticly after Redondela but still no bedrush to be seen, because the accommondation possibilities ingreased accordingly.

We all see these things by different eyes. We have loved every moment since Lisbon. Walking into those Cities and walking out of them. Just walked the riverside in Porto on rest day and took Metro next morning to Matosinhos. Da Costa route has been amazing. Actually the path on hillside out of Vigo is spctacularious. Today reached Pontevedra. The amount of pilgrims ingreased dramaticly after Redondela but still no bedrush to be seen, because the accommondation possibilities ingreased accordingly.
Can't believe you're almost there, Kimmo! Seems like just yesterday that we were having a coffee looking out over the Alfama and the river below. Wishing you and your wife a wonderful arrival into Santiago, bom caminho, Laurie

Thank's Laurie. We really have enjoyed every moment of this Camino, both of us, You gave such a positive kick there in Lisbon. Still a great hug to you!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just finished a wonderful common dinner in Casa de Azzancha with brittish and American friends. Wery recommendable Accommondation in Azinhaga. And the green variant in the Brierley book is well walkable from Santarem to Azinhaga

Hello Oppis,

Thank you for the nice comment.... Just saw it....1 year after!!! sorry!!!
Hope you had a good Camino and everything is ok with you!!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back