• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 - my cat died

PastorCat

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013
She had been sick for some time. Kidneys. Thyroid. The vet suspected she didn't have long to live. I was worried about leaving her for so long. The night I was packing her symptoms worsened considerably. I had a vet visit for a house call at midnight. Freckles died in my arms at 2am. I left Los Angeles for the Camino just a few hours later. Needless to say I am crushed. Crushed, but comforted I was with her as she passed. Thoughtful about the Camino ahead.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1531078243496.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531078243496.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My condolences to you @PastorCat. All pets are our loved and loving companions and we are fortunate that they share our lives. Their passing causes grief of an intensity that those who have not had pets cannot understand, but those of us who have know only too well. I am glad that you were there for Freckles in her final hours and that this gives you comfort in your time of sadness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
She had been sick for some time. Kidneys. Thyroid. The vet suspected she didn't have long to live. I was worried about leaving her for so long. The night her symptoms worsened considerably. I had a vet visit for a house call at 12am. Freckles died in my arms at 2am. I left Los Angeles for the Camino a few hours later. Needless to say I am crushed. Crushed but comforted I was with her as she passed.

Losing a beloved pet and companion hurts. That you were there to comfort her during her passing was a wonderful thing for Freckles, and for you. It is hard to move on, but Camino will be a time where you can reflect on your time with that wonderful animal. You can start to recover from the newness of your grief, and begin placing all the wonderful times and memories into a special spot within your heart's Good Things vault.

My thoughts and prayers go with you, Pastor :)

Pastor, it is never easy to put the welfare of a loved friend before your own. I had to make a similar decision recently when my cat suddenly suffered from saddle thrombosis. I took comfort in the fact that Dexter van Dyke (I wanted to call him Shitbags McGruber but the missus wouldn't allow it) was no longer in pain and that like you, I was there for him when he passed. They truly attach themselves to your heart and maybe when the time is right for you, you will consider giving another a good home.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am so sorry to hear this. You will have the opportunity to light candles in many churches along the way. It may be comforting to light candles in memory of your lovely cat. I had a dear dear friend who died while I was walking the camino Frances and found a great deal of solace in lighting candles in his memory, and saying a quick prayer, at all the churches along the way. Buen Camino.

We rescued a mixed terrier dog two years ago. He has special needs that make it difficult for us to take him to stay with loved ones or close friends when we travel. So we bring him to a great Kennel. It is his second home. They often take him from his run and he eats lunch with the ladies and gets lots of quality time from them. They now call him the affectionate lovebug and that is exceptional for a terrier! Sometimes we joke (though true) that it would be less expensive to bring him on the Camino! Of course, we would never do this! I relate this because we have really bonded with him and can only imagine how much your heart aches right now!
Pastorcat, I too, am glad you were there for her passing. Being on the Camino, may turn out to out be a blessing. It will give you a chance to grieve..seeking companionship when desired and solitude when needed! Blessings on your journey!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
She had been sick for some time. Kidneys. Thyroid. The vet suspected she didn't have long to live. I was worried about leaving her for so long. The night I was packing her symptoms worsened considerably. I had a vet visit for a house call at midnight. Freckles died in my arms at 2am. I left Los Angeles for the Camino just a few hours later. Needless to say I am crushed. Crushed, but comforted I was with her as she passed. Thoughtful about the Camino ahead.

What a beautiful girl and my condolences go out to you. You were there for her always and to the end. Your Camino has come at just the right time for you.

My sympathy for your loss, particularly on the eve of your Camino. I join with all the others who have shared your loss in the past when a beloved pet died, leaving a gaping hole that seems impossible to fill. I'm so sorry. Others are right-- your Camino is now before you both as a living memorial and homage to your wonderful cat and a healing for your own heart and soul, one step and one day at a time. Blessings on you both. I have loved and buried many cats in my time. Each was unique, each generous and loving. Every one of them remembered as individuals who enriched my life, comforted me in times of need, and allowed me to love them and in return be loved by them. Your Camino will honor her and the time the two of you shared together. Be well and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How heart-breaking. I have been in your place many times and there are no words that can fix it. Just put one foot in front of the other and time will heal you.

I neglected to mention that visiting the cool, quiet churches along the way will offer the opportunity to pray, if you wish to, and to light candles for those in your life who you have lost but who remain in your heart. I've lit many a candle for the good cats who have been part of my life over the years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am so sorry to hear this. You will have the opportunity to light candles in many churches along the way. It may be comforting to light candles in memory of your lovely cat. I had a dear dear friend who died while I was walking the camino Frances and found a great deal of solace in lighting candles in his memory, and saying a quick prayer, at all the churches along the way. Buen Camino.
. I agree. I missed your comments earlier, but agree that the moment of lighting a candle for a cat, a friend, a parent provides solace and healing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
May your Camino help you move through the grieving process with grace and ease.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hello PastorCat,
Hope you are dealing with the loss of your dear friend, Freckles. Reading about her passing brought tears to my eyes as I think about the death of our beloved cat, Pablito, who died back in March. No doubt you with be experiencing similar feelings to what we had (and continue to have) when we think of him and all the love we shared. He had been with us for 18 1/2 years and was certainly a member of the family. Hope the Camino brings you peace and acceptance as you look back at the time spent with Freckles.

I am so very sorry, but glad that she died in your arms before you left
e

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pastor Cat, so sorry for your loss. I know it really hurts. I too was grieving, although for a different loss, when I walked the Camino last year. There were long stretches where I was completely alone; alone with my thoughts and certainly alone with God. I hope your Camino gives you the time to be alone with God; perhaps even to place this sorrow in his hands and to thank him for all the love and joy Freckles brought in his time with you. Buen Camino.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Animals are a big part of our lives. Glad you were able to be with her until the end, and not far away on your camino as she passed.
I hope you are still enjoying your camino, considering...

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back