• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 St Jean to Roncesvalles

Butterfly

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June/July 2015 with Jam
Starting Camino Frances 11 April 2018 :)
To all you seasoned camino pilgrims out there :):):) my question is - how long did it take you to do the 25 km and how hard is the decline . We are arriving on the 27 June early afternoon and are a little short of time to make it all the way to Santiago - which we really really want to do - so to get going would be brilliant. I am trying to book into orrison (waiting on reply) but wondering what our options are if we don't get in. We are keen fell walkers and determined hehe but don't want to take silly risks - so any experience would be very helpful :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It took me 9 hours with a break at Orrison to eat and a couple of other 15 minute rest breaks along the way. The decline I found hard on my knees but manageable.
Buen Camino
Rita

To all you seasoned camino pilgrims out there :):):) my question is - how long did it take you to do the 25 km and how hard is the decline . We are arriving on the 27 June early afternoon and are a little short of time to make it all the way to Santiago - which we really really want to do - so to get going would be brilliant. I am trying to book into orrison (waiting on reply) but wondering what our options are if we don't get in. We are keen fell walkers and determined hehe but don't want to take silly risks - so any experience would be very helpful :)
Hi, it took me about 2 till 2.5 hours to the albergue Orisson and from Orrisson to Roncesvalles about 4.5 hours . Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It took me about 8 hours the first time. The next crossing, when I wasn't as well as I'd thought, took more than 14 hours. I was allocated a bed in a tent but when the staff saw that I had a passport from SJPP, and had arrived on foot rather than on the bus, a more comfortable bed in an annex was offered.
The descent into Roncesvalles is pretty steep and you need to be careful particularly if you're tired.

This and the downhill after Pamplona are were most people got hurt but for those of us who hike I found it quite easy. Granted I stayed at Orisson too... but I jogged down the downhill section in no time. It was pouring rain on my day up to Orisson which only took a couple hours... then the next day I'd say took me about 4.5 Roncesvalles stopping at the cart which has the "last stamp in France" in some very blustery wet wind.

It just depends on your level of fitness.
The very first time I walked I was much younger and 20 pounds lighter. I had made reservations at Orisson but the hospitalero in SJPP convinced me not to sleep there, saying, 'It's no problem! You can make it! Just go all the way!"

Well, I cursed that man's name every step into Roncesvalles. They don't call it hell day for nothing! It was EXTREMELY difficult for me. The trail was very rocky and steep that year, and I was absolutely exhausted. I cried (literally) every step into Roncesvalles. Getting up to go to the toilet in the night was one of the most painful experiences I've had outside childbirth - I didn't know a person's feet could hurt so much - especially in the old albergue on those metal ladders!

Next time I walked, I took it in two stages.
No problem.
Resting after that first 8 -9 kilometers made all the difference in the world.

I have seen more people's Camino ruined early by injuries caused pushing over that first stage.

That said, just as many people walk the full stage with no problems.

So I think it's a matter of individuality and fitness.
You know your own body.
Get on a treadmill and walk on the steepest incline for 5 miles (Orisson), then another 5 miles (to the crest - not sure of the actual kilometer/miles), then realize you'll be going pretty much the same degree decline for a total of 15.6 miles.

Oh yes, and do this with your backpack fully loaded.
Then decide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe it means walking through the countryside, but am not positive.
And I guess it depends on which countryside you are walking - if it's flat, you'll notice a difference.
For me, the Camino was unlike any walking I'd done before - 6-8 hours of widely varying track, up and down hills, through water and heat and wind and rain, smooth, rocky, steep, flat, tarmac, grass, you name it, carrying a loaded pack.

And if you can't get into Orisson, simply book a second night in SJPP.
You can either walk up to Orisson, then walk back down or take a taxi.
Next morning, share a taxi back up to Orisson and begin walking.
There will be plenty of others doing the same.

I will probably always book a night in Orrison I didn't need it so it was used by someone who did. The walk over to Roncevalles took 8 hrs with breaks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Butterfly,my first trip over the Pyrenees from SJPDP to Roncesvalles.took me between 6-8 hours stopping now and then for breaks, its about 8 miles up then 8 miles down,as you are fell walkers you should be ok, just have stops and take it easy going down into Roncesvalles,and leave early on the 28 June about 6-7 am, but if you get a place in Orrison all well and good,I will be leaving SJPDP on the 2 July so you should be well in front of me,its better to do it in one hit,than pussy footing about up and down,round and round,here and there,playing taxi fares etc,I will be just turned 70 when I go,and I am going over in one hit,so if an old timer like me can,I am sure you both will make it,good luck,,,

Last edited:
It took us 12 hours (mostly because of snow). We took the steep way down (very painful on the toes). I'm glad we did it because I would have been bored sitting around Orisson all day, however, there were plenty of people who were happy just to get to Orisson (it is a steep uphill all of the way). Make sure you train with packs on steep uphill and downhill so your body is prepared and you'll be fine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess your audience here knows what that is ... ?

ooops sorry Katharina - my husband would be laughing at me using very english words when i'm not even english hehe - german married an english man -

when english people talk about fell walking - part of the definition
"Walking in mountainous areas in the UK is called hillwalking, or in Northern England, including the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales, fellwalking, from the dialect word fell, for high, uncultivated land. Mountain walking can sometimes involve scrambling."

When they say HIGH uncultivated land it's not all that high hehe in comparison to the alps or pyrenees. oh and scrambling is easy climbing without a rope. Saying that i've walked in the alps and the pyrenees and love skiing and spinning (high intensity cycling on a static bike) at the gym - so less concerned about going up - more so about going down and the late start element - because i assume it's getting dark around 9 pm and the STEEP bit sounds concerning.

totally appreciate all your input - very helpful for decision making :)

If you can't get into Orrison, try walking via Val Carlos. Since you are pressed for time why not start in Pamplona and save yourself some blisters.

If you can't get into Orrison, try walking via Val Carlos. Since you are pressed for time why not start in Pamplona and save yourself some blisters.
You would be amongst good friends of ours suggesting a shorter trip and thinking we will probably not be able to do it BUT we are thinking we shall give it our best shot ;) this trip is my sons idea - he saw the movie "the way" in school and it rather impressed upon him and when it came to us having a mother / son trip because he will just have finished his secondary school education (he's almost 17) - which would normally be 3/4 days - he said what he really really really wanted to do is the Camino de Santiago - and my husband and i's thinking is - now is the time - there may not be another.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
:) I like this. I think it is a good assessment for you, Butterfly. Start early, not later than 8am or earlier if you can and feel like it. Buy all food and drink in the evening before the day, do not waste a minute with shopping in the morning.

There are no technical difficulties, the paths are wide, a lot is on roads where cars can and do drive. It's 1200 m over 20 km up and 500 m over 5 km down. With standard times (1h for 300 m up, 1h for 500 m down, 4km/h for flat road) it works out to 7h up, 1,5h down plus a good hour rest. Rough guidance only, of course.

Skip it altogether if the weather is bad. It will just be like a really long foggy and soggy day back home. ;)
thats totally brilliant thanks Katharina - we did 14 miles (about 22 1/2 ) the other day in 4 1/2 hours but that was flat and we had a little lunch break in that - i think i'll need to take jam (james my son) on an uphill quest and time us ;) we shall call it training hehe

Hi Butterfly,my first trip over the Pyrenees from SJPDP to Roncesvalles.took me between 6-8 hours stopping now and then for breaks, its about 8 miles up then 8 miles down,as you are fell walkers you should be ok, just have stops and take it easy going down into Roncesvalles,and leave early on the 28 June about 6-7 am, but if you get a place in Orrison all well and good,I will be leaving SJPDP on the 2 July so you should be well in front of me,its better to do it in one hit,than pussy footing about up and down,round and round,here and there,playing taxi fares etc,I will be just turned 70 when I go,and I am going over in one hit,so if an old timer like me can,I am sure you both will make it,good luck,,,
hi freespirit, just thought i say - i've got 5 kids and kid number 2 which is son number 1 (my oldest is a girl) also calls himself freespirit and though i think it would be rather nice to chat i sure hope you don't catch us up hehe

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It took me about 8 hours or so.
It's not that difficult a walk. Honestly I don't have any recollections of any really difficult stretches. It's like I started walking, and then later in the day I was in Roncesvalles (which I bypassed and stayed in Burguete that night). The overwhelming majority of pilgrims that walk out of SJPdP walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. If you are in a bit of a time-frame to complete the Camino, walk all the way to Roncesvalles yourselves. Skip that whole stopping in Orisson bit (yes stockholders in albergue Orisson, I said that ;)).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You would be amongst good friends of ours suggesting a shorter trip and thinking we will probably not be able to do it BUT we are thinking we shall give it our best shot ;) this trip is my sons idea - he saw the movie "the way" in school and it rather impressed upon him and when it came to us having a mother / son trip because he will just have finished his secondary school education (he's almost 17) - which would normally be 3/4 days - he said what he really really really wanted to do is the Camino de Santiago - and my husband and i's thinking is - now is the time - there may not be another.

Oh I think you'll be able to do it ... its just whether or not you will enjoy it or if it simply becomes a forced march on a schedule as seems to happen to a lot of people due to time pressure.

and may I suggest you become proficient with trekking poles before beginning. They really help with balance and stress on the knees on long downhills.

Oh I think you'll be able to do it ... its just whether or not you will enjoy it or if it simply becomes a forced march on a schedule as seems to happen to a lot of people due to time pressure.
Yes I agree definetly a danger and we must watch out for that for sure. My thinking is - I can walk 7 miles ( which is just over 11 km) in 2 hours on the flat - so the lose plan is - rise and shine early walk a couple of hours - nice little break, walk 2 more hours - lunch and siesta or maybe swimming or looking a pretty things and walk a couple more hourse into the evening as it gets cooler :D well this is our plan - though if that fails - we'll just have to man up and walk on x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
and may I suggest you become proficient with trekking poles before beginning. They really help with balance and stress on the knees on long downhills.
Yes we've got some but not used them yet - to be done in the next 3 weeks ;)

And if you can't get into Orisson, simply book a second night in SJPP.
You can either walk up to Orisson, then walk back down or take a taxi.
Next morning, share a taxi back up to Orisson and begin walking.
There will be plenty of others doing the same.
People do that? Walk up, then walk or taxi back down, and then taxi back up again?
o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
People do that? Walk up, then walk or taxi back down, and then taxi back up again?
o_O
Are you being facetious? Despite the o_O I still can't be sure. :D But this seems a great way to tackle the Pyrenees crossing depending on how much time is available the first day, and if one couldn't get a reservation at Orisson. SJPP to Orisson is what, 2-1/2 to 3 hrs. A nice afternoon trek, albeit a steep one. Taxi or walk back to SJPP, then next morning resume your trek from Orisson .... You'd be knocking off 2-1/2 to 3 hrs. of a steep uphill climb. Having had to go the Valcarlos route due to heavy snow in 2013 on the Route Napoleon, I would certainly consider this as an option for next time if I couldn't get into Orisson. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recommend you do it in 2 parts…..stopping at Orisson. Don't push or hurt yourself because you will have a long road ahead of you……so take it easy and enjoy this incredible experience.

Wooooooooooooooo - finally heard back from Orrison and got beds whoop whoop that will totally simplify things - very grateful for all your advice - totally appreciated :)
I recommend you do it in 2 parts…..stopping at Orisson. Don't push or hurt yourself because you will have a long road ahead of you……so take it easy and enjoy this incredible experience.
thank you - i am very pleased that this is now a option and we won't be tempted to do to much right at the beginning :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wooooooooooooooo - finally heard back from Orrison and got beds whoop whoop that will totally simplify things - very grateful for all your advice - totally appreciated :)

This of all sections I would suggest having your bag transported. Why have a chance of injury so early on? Those opportunities will come later. ;). The office in SJPDP has small backpacks for you to borrow.

hi freespirit, just thought i say - i've got 5 kids and kid number 2 which is son number 1 (my oldest is a girl) also calls himself freespirit and though i think it would be rather nice to chat i sure hope you don't catch us up hehe
Hi again Butterfly, dont think I will catch you both up as I will be taking it slow till Pamplona, as I will be wanting to see the Bull run,but I wont be running with any wild Bulls this time round.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, every day :) It's much easier coming back down than going up, and if there's no lodging at Orisson it is a good option.
It just seems counterproductive.
On both my Caminos my only self-imposed rule to myself was to never walk back from where I came (always go forward). Other than that I was rule free. :cool:

Are we talking Johnny Walker gently rolling hills or not so steep. ;)

Hi butterfly, you have to make your own decision on this at the end of the day. I' have been a hill walker for some time in Ireland. I left St Jean yesterday at 06.50 with my daughter Emma.It was raining heavy and I found it a little tough. I carried Emma s pack as well as my own for a while as I could see she was under pressure. When we got to Orrison I knew it was time to stop or else today would have been a disaster. We got a taxi from there to Roncesvalles. I am glad I did this as it made today all the more enjoyable even when it rained heavy for the first couple of hours. The most important thing here is to know your limits. Don't mind what other people say but use their experiences as a guide line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi butterfly, you have to make your own decision on this at the end of the day. I' have been a hill walker for some time in Ireland. I left St Jean yesterday at 06.50 with my daughter Emma.It was raining heavy and I found it a little tough. I carried Emma s pack as well as my own for a while as I could see she was under pressure. When we got to Orrison I knew it was time to stop or else today would have been a disaster. We got a taxi from there to Roncesvalles. I am glad I did this as it made today all the more enjoyable even when it rained heavy for the first couple of hours. The most important thing here is to know your limits. Don't mind what other people say but use their experiences as a guide line.
Wow so much rain in June and I totally agree - I'm afraid we are aiming to walk every step of the way and I don't think we'd want to go back on ourselves either - however I think it's probably a bit like a birth plan - a bit idealistic and then having to make the best choice possible when facing the obsticals for everyone involved , as you obviously have :) . I hope you two will have a wonderful Camino - will you be going all the way to Santiago ?

It took me about 8 hours or so.
It's not that difficult a walk. Honestly I don't have any recollections of any really difficult stretches. It's like I started walking, and then later in the day I was in Roncesvalles (which I bypassed and stayed in Burguete that night). The overwhelming majority of pilgrims that walk out of SJPdP walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. If you are in a bit of a time-frame to complete the Camino, walk all the way to Roncesvalles yourselves. Skip that whole stopping in Orisson bit (yes stockholders in albergue Orisson, I said that ;)).
Mark, I am a bona fide member of the supporters of the Refuge Orisson crowd. I love the view from the terrace and find that it is great place to make the seque into finding yourself and a Camino family, if that is what you are looking for, on the first day out of SJPdP. I drive down there from time to time on a clear day to sip a glass of wine and absorb the spirit of the Pyrenees.

Mark, I am a bona fide member of the supporters of the Refuge Orisson crowd. I love the view from the terrace and find that it is great place to make the seque into finding yourself and a Camino family, if that is what you are looking for, on the first day out of SJPdP. I drive down there from time to time on a clear day to sip a glass of wine and absorb the spirit of the Pyrenees.
:) might see you there on the 27th as we now have our beds confirmed - though I must say the temptation to walk the whole way and into the night was definitely there and I think we could have made it :) but with all that was said - I think it might have been a bit to much and not sure that we might not have struggled for the next few days and as we need to keep up our momentum - I'm glad we got booked in
- wooooooo this time in 2 weeks we'll be on our merry way :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:) might see you there on the 27th as we now have our beds confirmed - though I must say the temptation to walk the whole way and into the night was definitely there and I think we could have made it :) but with all that was said - I think it might have been a bit to much and not sure that we might not have struggled for the next few days and as we need to keep up our momentum - I'm glad we got booked in
- wooooooo this time in 2 weeks we'll be on our merry way :D
Look for me at Refuge San Anton about 2 weeks after you leave Orisson.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back