• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1 through the pass

Flatcat

If the weather on the 23rd of April is
12 high and 6 low in /roncesvalles
Light morning rain, would it be snowing on the way up the pass?
Enough to close it?
Let's say no fog
Thx

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Enough to close it?
Let's say no fog
Thx
Mud and slippery rocks should be your only problem. Most of the mud can be avoided by staying on the road instead of cutting across the switchbacks. Descending into Roncesvalles on the road will avoid the slippery rocks, and it is not much longer (and more gentle and better footing).

As for April 22, I see that the snow line is expected at 2000 m by the official Spain meteo agency. As the highest point in the Napoleon route is Lepoeder pass (1430 m), I' d say this is good.
Evidently, rain (so, mud) is almost a given. Please take notice and follow day per day the evolution of the chart last line, that is the warnings for "Pirineo navarro".
Most of the journey in the French side is by a paved road. The only tricky point is Bentartea pass, after leaving the road. It is rather a rocky outcrop, but there are loose stones, so it requires some precaution.
After that, is an easy, well kept gravel road -the feeling is that of a weekend stroll. As mentioned, at Lepoeder pass you can choose the Ibañeta route (to your right, it is clearly signposted). Actually, the pilgrim bureau in SJPP does not recommend the other, the forest descent.
Anyway, it is a tough journey, which can be risky with serious bad weather. Be prepared, and if the pilgrim bureau says no, it is a no.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Threads such as this are wasting peoples time
All that anyone can do is arrive at the pilgrim's office the night before and ask if will be safe to use the Napoleon route
Future weather forecasts are irrelevant
:) True yet everyone still tries their best to prepare. Every day choices of what path to take, & lodging you find along the way. Simple yet if they have not experienced it, we can simply help their concern.

When we started on 01/04/2016 the route over or through orrison was closed. They will tell you in SJPP what's up. I strongly urge you to listen to them. They know and know what you will expect they will also tell you they can't stop you but if you do choose a route that is closed you will be paying for your own rescue. The idea as someone said the day we left is to get to Santiago not just over top! We went the route they suggested and it was plenty challenging.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:) True yet everyone still tries their best to prepare. Every day choices of what path to take, & lodging you find along the way. Simple yet if they have not experienced it, we can simply help their concern.

Maybe but to me this has more of the flavour of people with their hearts set on the Napoleon route - we should instead prepare them to soften their hearts instead!
This is less about their freedom of choice (which they can use on the rest of the camino) but about protecting them (and the mountain rescue crews) from their own foolishness - with our memories still raw from the two pilgrims who ignored advice not to use the Napoleon route and were extremely lucky to survive

All that anyone can do is arrive at the pilgrim's office the night before and ask if will be safe to use the Napoleon route

Not really. First time pilgrims have anxiety especially if they've never traveled outside their own country. I know I did, and I still have anxiety when walking an unfamiliar route, though I've been walking in Spain over 10 years.

If your time is short, don't read and/respond.

Simple

Maybe but to me this has more of the flavour of people with their hearts set on the Napoleon route - we should instead prepare them to soften their hearts instead!
This is less about their freedom of choice (which they can use on the rest of the camino) but about protecting them (and the mountain rescue crews) from their own foolishness - with our memories still raw from the two pilgrims who ignored advice not to use the Napoleon route and were extremely lucky to survive
I agree with you on safety, yet I was also a person that had to go over the Napoleon, we all have our mind sets from the "movie" but what the heck it is not my place to determine the routes of others. Last thing we are now fully into spring there will still be possible snow storms & severe rain going over, sitting in my armchair looking at the snow covered peaks surrounding my home, those of us living in these environments have a lifetime of experience in the mountains & what it takes to survive. We must give folks some credit for the decisions they make. Good or bad.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Enough to close it?
Let's say no fog
Thx
Hi,
When you find that a thread like this is wasting peoples time, why do you reply on it.?

As for April 22, I see that the snow line is expected at 2000 m by the official Spain meteo agency. As the highest point in the Napoleon route is Lepoeder pass (1430 m), I' d say this is good.
Evidently, rain (so, mud) is almost a given. Please take notice and follow day per day the evolution of the chart last line, that is the warnings for "Pirineo navarro".
Most of the journey in the French side is by a paved road. The only tricky point is Bentartea pass, after leaving the road. It is rather a rocky outcrop, but there are loose stones, so it requires some precaution.
After that, is an easy, well kept gravel road -the feeling is that of a weekend stroll. As mentioned, at Lepoeder pass you can choose the Ibañeta route (to your right, it is clearly signposted). Actually, the pilgrim bureau in SJPP does not recommend the other, the forest descent.
Anyway, it is a tough journey, which can be risky with serious bad weather. Be prepared, and if the pilgrim bureau says no, it is a no.
Buen camino!
This was the info I was looking for, a generic question about rain and maybe where the snow line would and what our chances are based on the forcast as of now.
Thanks for the info about the mud and loose Terran , obviously we'll check the pilgrim office the day of.
Thx
And yes sorry for wasting anyone's time lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This was the info I was looking for, a generic question about rain and maybe where the snow line would and what our chances are based on the forcast as of now.
Thanks for the info about the mud and loose Terran , obviously we'll check the pilgrim office the day of.
Thx
And yes sorry for wasting anyone's time lol
When you have a question just ask away.
Don't be sorry , most of us are more than happy to answer any questions and give advice.
Wish you well, Peter.

Well, sometimes I feel that every topic, question or concern about pilgrims and pilgrimages has already been answered in this forum. But there will be always a new experience, feeling or picture to share. And I, for one, enjoy (although not necessarily agree with) the wisdom of pilgrims that have gone to the Camino so many times, and the enthusiasm and excitement of newbies. I guess that advising new pilgrims is to me a form of "being still there", so I do not mind if I answer again (...and again) a question already posted some weeks or months ago.
So, make some research (the "search" button is quite useful, you know ;)) but in doubt, ask, ask. There will be always somebody willing to answer.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for the info about the mud and loose Terran
I have been wondering about the "loose Terran" that Flatcat posted about. I guess that's what happens to my brain when I watch too many old sci fi movies. I'll keep an eye out for him or her when next on camino.:D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been wondering about the "loose Terran" that Flatcat posted about. I guess that's what happens to my brain when I watch too many old sci fi movies. I'll keep an eye out for him or her when next on camino.:D
I don't want to meet any of those either. Now I'm really nervous. I thought I only had to worry about weather and footwear :)

Enough to close it?
Let's say no fog
Thx

Flatcat, one more meteorological observation...
"light rain" comes from low cumulus or low-altitude stratus, which means if it's raining in SJPP you will absolutely come into "fog" at even slightly higher altitudes, since fog is a ground-based cloud.

More info than you really wanted, eh? :rolleyes:
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back