A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Live - Camino Francés Day 1

Sher

Camino(s) past & future
Planning first Camino May (2019)
Started walking the Camino Francis on May 15th. That first day was SO HARD! It felt like it was all uphill!! Mid-Morning I thought there is no way I can do this! But I decided to just go slow and enjoy the breathtaking views! It was an amazing day! It took me longer than most pilgrims ( nearly 10 hours) but I feel great now and no blisters! Optimism for the rest of the Camino! The Albergue at Roncesvalles is awesome by the way!!

Camino(s) past & future
May 2020
Started walking the Camino Francis on May 15th. That first day was SO HARD! It felt like it was all uphill!! Mid-Morning I thought there is no way I can do this! But I decided to just go slow and enjoy the breathtaking views! It was an amazing day! It took me longer than most pilgrims ( nearly 10 hours) but I feel great now and no blisters! Optimism for the rest of the Camino! The Albergue at Roncesvalles is awesome by the way!!
Well done Sher. Hope the good weather continues.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2011 on my own, 2014 with my wife), Del Norte to Finisterre (2016). 2018: Via de la Plata.
And you are right: that first day is all uphill. But you've done it. There'll be some more climbing ahead, but it'll not be as hard as the first day. By then you're used to walking.

You'll be laughing at the mountains and hills, welcoming them as your friend. And they will be so happy to be climbed by you!

Yes, I'm sure from now on it'll be bocadillos, tortillas, café con leche and vino tinto all the way to Santiago. And maybe some contemplation and meaningful encounters along your way as well.

Whatever your Camino has in store for you: enjoy it.

Buen Camino.

CdnDreamer

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2015 & 2018) San Salvador (2018)
I've signed up to follow your blog. What beautiful pictures! You certainly had a great day to cross the mountains. I am looking forward to following your journey.

Buen Camino!

RemysMimi

Hooked on the Camino!!
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2018)
Frances or Portuguese (2020)
It was the hardest day for me and it is all uphill. I thought I would literally "die on that mountain".

Rover

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis, Fall 2016
I some respects, the first day is the most difficult. This is the real deal and as you correctly observed the first day out of SJPP is steep and unrelentless, it's a baptism by fire experience. Now for the good news. From here on out, it's gets easier but not without its ups and down, for sure. Congratulations, you made it to Orrison and now you're on your way to Santiago. The best is yet to come. Have a great journey.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
It will be a piece of cake the next time you do the Camino!

kdespot

Camino(s) past & future
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
I signed on to follow you, too. Love your enthusiasm and your photos. I look forward to hearing about and seeing your adventures. I'm pea green with envy. There's only one first time.

Juspassinthrough

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, May-June (2017)
Ingles, June (2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Le Puy-Santiago (2023)
Did you happen to run in to some students from Texas A&M? I’ll meet up with them in Villar de Mazarife after I complete the Inglés.

You’re over the hump, it all gets easier from here. It’ll still challenge you but, you now know you can do it.

Buen Camino!

Sher

Camino(s) past & future
Planning first Camino May (2019)
Did you happen to run in to some students from Texas A&M? I’ll meet up with them in Villar de Mazarife after I complete the Inglés.

You’re over the hump, it all gets easier from here. It’ll still challenge you but, you now know you can do it.

Buen Camino!
No, but I will tell you if I meet them!

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 245 25.0%