• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 1

Sher

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning first Camino May (2019)
Started walking the Camino Francis on May 15th. That first day was SO HARD! It felt like it was all uphill!! Mid-Morning I thought there is no way I can do this! But I decided to just go slow and enjoy the breathtaking views! It was an amazing day! It took me longer than most pilgrims ( nearly 10 hours) but I feel great now and no blisters! Optimism for the rest of the Camino! The Albergue at Roncesvalles is awesome by the way!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Started walking the Camino Francis on May 15th. That first day was SO HARD! It felt like it was all uphill!! Mid-Morning I thought there is no way I can do this! But I decided to just go slow and enjoy the breathtaking views! It was an amazing day! It took me longer than most pilgrims ( nearly 10 hours) but I feel great now and no blisters! Optimism for the rest of the Camino! The Albergue at Roncesvalles is awesome by the way!!
Well done Sher. Hope the good weather continues.

And you are right: that first day is all uphill. But you've done it. There'll be some more climbing ahead, but it'll not be as hard as the first day. By then you're used to walking.

You'll be laughing at the mountains and hills, welcoming them as your friend. And they will be so happy to be climbed by you!

Yes, I'm sure from now on it'll be bocadillos, tortillas, cafƩ con leche and vino tinto all the way to Santiago. And maybe some contemplation and meaningful encounters along your way as well.

Whatever your Camino has in store for you: enjoy it.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done! Now you can apply this well earned lesson again many times on the way to SdC. Slow and easy & always take time to smell the roses! Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've signed up to follow your blog. What beautiful pictures! You certainly had a great day to cross the mountains. I am looking forward to following your journey.

Buen Camino!

It was the hardest day for me and it is all uphill. I thought I would literally "die on that mountain".

I some respects, the first day is the most difficult. This is the real deal and as you correctly observed the first day out of SJPP is steep and unrelentless, it's a baptism by fire experience. Now for the good news. From here on out, it's gets easier but not without its ups and down, for sure. Congratulations, you made it to Orrison and now you're on your way to Santiago. The best is yet to come. Have a great journey.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I signed on to follow you, too. Love your enthusiasm and your photos. I look forward to hearing about and seeing your adventures. I'm pea green with envy. There's only one first time.

Did you happen to run in to some students from Texas A&M? Iā€™ll meet up with them in Villar de Mazarife after I complete the InglĆ©s.

Youā€™re over the hump, it all gets easier from here. Itā€™ll still challenge you but, you now know you can do it.

Buen Camino!

Did you happen to run in to some students from Texas A&M? Iā€™ll meet up with them in Villar de Mazarife after I complete the InglĆ©s.

Youā€™re over the hump, it all gets easier from here. Itā€™ll still challenge you but, you now know you can do it.

Buen Camino!
No, but I will tell you if I meet them!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Walking into Santiago tomorrow... it has

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San SebastiƔn today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back