• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Day 15 Monreal to Puente la Reina: Goodbye, Aragones

Charl

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis 2014
Note: This is our last day on the Camino Aragones. I wrote these notes with the hope it might assist future pilgrims on this less traveled route. I don't have any desire to write anything about our experiences on the Francés - dozens of blogs do that much better than I can. So I'm calling a halt here, so to speak, except perhaps for the odd tale now and then.

xxxxxxxxx

We left Monreal chirpy and well rested. It's our final day on the Camino Aragones before we join the pilgrim river at Puente La Reina. Up to now the road has been wonderfully quiet, serene and remote in large parts. It'll be a new, rather more social experience from tomorrow, and we'll just go with the flow.

We'd not had a particularly early start and soon the sun was burning down on us from a cloudless sky. In one village we walked through a digital sign laconically announced that we're walking in 31 degree heat. Our hydration packs worked overtime. Long stretches of the farm roads we're on were shadeless. It was taxing.

At one point we were glad to see the pillared hulk of the must-see Eunate church appear ahead of us, with the promise of its dark, cool inside to rest in and escape the sun. Except that it was Monday, and we found the church locked and deserted. (Note to Spanish authorities, Pilgrims want to see churches on Mondays too, you know). So we were left to huddle for a few minutes under a sparse olive tree before continuing our hot trek to Puenta La Reina.

Along a particularly long and scorching stretch close to Puenta La Reina we were surrounded by bare, ploughed fields both sides of the dusty track we were on. 'What we need right now,' I said to Adeline between wiping beads of sweat from my face, 'Is someone to turn a watering hose on us to cool down.' Suddenly, out of the blue, the irrigating system start shooting long arms of water into the air on the field next to us. We didn't need an invitation - we both ran onto the field like kids and within two minutes we were soaked to the skin. I'm not making this up. This is the stuff that happens on the Camino.

I'd be lying if I said entering Puenta La Reina after a long trek of 35 kilometers wasn't somewhat of a shock. Every second building seems to be an albergue, with socks, towels and garments dangling from window sills. Petite pilgrim girls in sarongs, their pristine feet removed from their leather sandals daintily sat on the lawns, nibbling on goat's cheese and bread while reading well-thumbed copies of Brierleys. Almost everone we saw was a pilgrim. Moreover, they all looked fresh-faced and pink-cheeked. Our sun-burnt, sweat-stained and dusty demeanors stood out. We'd been on the road more than twice as long as most, and judging by the stares it must've showed.

I'm glad we'd opted to start in Lourdes and complete the Aragones route before tackling the long, well-trodden path to Santiago de Compostela. It had given us the chance to get a head start and savour the culture and history of the old pilgrim routes while being gently introduced into the mores, ethics and quirks of daily life as modern pilgrims.

Later we settled at a bar on one of Puenta La Reina's lively streets and drank a toast to the Camino Aragones. It had been tough going, but very, very rewarding. We felt ready for the next chapter. It's on we go.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We had dinner tonight with a guy who walked the Camino Catalan, the Aragones and is now on the Frances. He described a similar experience when he reached Puenta la Reina. He found it quite a shock to the system at first.
Good luck with the rest of your journey. Buen Camino.

I will always have a soft spot for the Aragones, my first camino experience, and the start of a now half-decade love affair with 'camino life'. Such magical and surreal experiences… for example I remember a day when I was thinking of 'home' a lot: I mentioned I was from South Africa in the local bar (in Arres), and before I knew it I was being dragged to a house with the only green lawn in town, to find a bunch of South Africans enjoying a braai (barbecue) - and within 2 minutes I had a beer in one hand and a boerewors roll in the other! You know, one of those 'camino moments' where you have to rub your eyes and ask: "am I dreaming this?"

(Too many of those moments to remember… ah, such gratitude!)

Anyway thanks so much for all your wonderful writing Charl, you really have a gift with words, and I can't wait to read more… there might be lots of blogs out there, but nobody has quite your way of seeing things! Buen camino, amigo xx

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too have enjoyed your Camino Aragones, @Charl, and hope to try this Way, one day.
Hope to hear some of your impressions of the Frances.
Meanwhile, buen Camino.
Suzanne :)

Hi Charl, I second the posts above - your way of telling is very special and most enjoyable. Please post an "odd tale now and then". Buen camino. Dolfina

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Jan_D a real lawn in Arres?? That's bizarre. But then I've seen strange things happen there too so it's totally believable.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back