• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 46 - Guidance - Time and Money

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
Initially I had an open time frame to complete CF starting 1st May and was fairly relaxed with "I will get to Santiago when I get there" mindset. Just found out that daughter's graduation is now confirmed earlier than we expected for 1st July so will need to return to England by 29th June. So now I have a dreaded deadline! Crystal ball time - question that is now nagging me and guidance I need please is, given my less than trim athletic physique, blister prone tendency and up to now life long exercise averse attitude can I realistically walk Camino over 45 days, take 5 days rest sight-seeing along the way, imbibe fine wine and food and recuperate a few days in Santiago at the end? Dream was to to meander (meander being the operative word) on to Muxia/Finisterre too without killing myself and make it a race? Either way I suppose I will now need to book return flight from Santiago or is that something that I can defer? The other question that I am pondering is what is a realistic budget 30 or 40 euros per day?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jostony, what a great event to have to get back home for. Congratulations for getting a child through this important milestone!

30 Euros should be fine, 40 will aford (sp?) good wiggle room, and then some.

As for the timeline, and what may happen, just wing it. You don't have to be a purist, you can always deal with the blisters by skipping a few parts and get rest days you need. And then go back and walk them ;0) You may not be able to walk all CF in the time you know have, but there is always a way to walk a good part of it. Saw today someone posting about his Norte Camino: he ended up taking the bus, or taxi every day to round up his day. Had never thought of this before. So why can't you walk what you can until you feel you are about to get to the end and jump forward to make it to the end?

And who says you have to make to Santiago this year? What about just walking until the time comes?

As for booking a flight - yes, do it.

If you want fine wine and food, budget 40 euros. If you are in reasonably good physical condition 45 days should be plenty. I think most people get some blisters but they are not necessarily debilitating, though they can be for some people. There are always buses and taxis if you have problems.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... question that is now nagging me and guidance I need please is, given my less than trim athletic physique, blister prone tendency and up to now life long exercise averse attitude can I realistically walk Camino over 45 days, take 5 days rest sight-seeing along the way, imbibe fine wine and food and recuperate a few days in Santiago at the end? Dream was to to meander (meander being the operative word) on to Muxia/Finisterre too without killing myself and make it a race? Either way I suppose I will now need to book return flight from Santiago or is that something that I can defer? The other question that I am pondering is what is a realistic budget 30 or 40 euros per day?

Yes, for best prices, book your return flight now as you anyway know the dates. So why delay that task?
As for the rest, simply start slowly the first days and don't panic about your slow progress in the beginning. 45 days are plenty for SJPDP to SdC and if you have days over to walk on to Muxia/Finisterre, great! If not, you can walk that part another year. And if you are really concerned about lack of time and fitness, you could always start in Pamplona.
Buen Camino, SY

Yes, for best prices, book your return flight now as you anyway know the dates. So why delay that task?
As for the rest, simply start slowly the first days and don't panic about your slow progress in the beginning. 45 days are plenty for SJPDP to SdC and if you have days over to walk on to Muxia/Finisterre, great! If not, you can walk that part another year. And if you are really concerned about lack of time and fitness, you could always start in Pamplona.
Buen Camino, SY
Thanks for helpful guidance

Jostony, what a great event to have to get back home for. Congratulations for getting a child through this important milestone!

30 Euros should be fine, 40 will aford (sp?) good wiggle room, and then some.

As for the timeline, and what may happen, just wing it. You don't have to be a purist, you can always deal with the blisters by skipping a few parts and get rest days you need. And then go back and walk them ;0) You may not be able to walk all CF in the time you know have, but there is always a way to walk a good part of it. Saw today someone posting about his Norte Camino: he ended up taking the bus, or taxi every day to round up his day. Had never thought of this before. So why can't you walk what you can until you feel you are about to get to the end and jump forward to make it to the end?

And who says you have to make to Santiago this year? What about just walking until the time comes?

As for booking a flight - yes, do it.
Yes proud of daughter - I might also be able to save a few pennies now she has graduated - but I doubt it! Thanks for helpful guidance. I will go for wiggle room and that way if I am under budget I can just drink better wine!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not sure if I have mentioned it here already, but the best price/quality ratio for wine is buying the label-less bottles in the local tiendas (shops). That are wines that can't be marketed under a label because they are overflow productions of DOC or better. Regulations allow only so many liters per hectar vineyard being labeled and sold for higher prices. The rest of the production is filled in this label-less bottles and sold locally. Real gems can be found there for a few Euro. Salud! SY

I would suggest that it would be wise to book your flight to get back in time. Your daughter's graduation is so important and you don't want any fretting about getting a flight. You have plenty of time to get from (I assume) SJPdP to SDC. Don't over plan, just go and do it. Evaluate where you after a few weeks and take any corrective action if necessary.
PS I don't hold much hope for you saving any pennies after the big day. After my daughter graduating twice and earning a reasonable salary saving money still seems to elude me! :(

Not sure if I have mentioned it here already, but the best price/quality ratio for wine is buying the label-less bottles in the local tiendas (shops). That are wines that can't be marketed under a label because they are overflow productions of DOC or better. Regulations allow only so many liters per hectar vineyard being labeled and sold for higher prices. The rest of the production is filled in this label-less bottles and sold locally. Real gems can be found there for a few Euro. Salud! SY
Good to know - thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would suggest that it would be wise to book your flight to get back in time. Your daughter's graduation is so important and you don't want any fretting about getting a flight. You have plenty of time to get from (I assume) SJPdP to SDC. Don't over plan, just go and do it. Evaluate where you after a few weeks and take any corrective action if necessary.
PS I don't hold much hope for you saving any pennies after the big day. After my daughter graduating twice and earning a reasonable salary saving money still seems to elude me! :(
Thanks. I think I gave up idea that I would one day be financially well off each day my children were born! Obviously - emotionally I will always be well off. Re flights my only dilemma is that I had planned to visit family in Madrid after Camino and everything depends on my progress. Don't want to kick around in Santiago waiting for a flight. Might just bite bullet and book flight from Madrid and work towards that goal instead.

Might just bite bullet and book flight from Madrid
Virtually all flights to and from Spain go through Madrid, even some of them that go to Barcelona first. Madrid is accessible by bus, train, and plane from most cities in Spain. So your strategy for Madrid is probably sound, particularly if you know that you will be there after Santiago.

Buen camino.

... my only dilemma is that I had planned to visit family in Madrid after Camino and everything depends on my progress. Don't want to kick around in Santiago waiting for a flight. Might just bite bullet and book flight from Madrid and work towards that goal instead.

Book your flight out of Madrid direction home asap (as that date is fixed) and take a bus or train to Madrid when you arrive at Santiago or know when you will arrive. No need to complicate things. Buen Camino! SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Virtually all flights to and from Spain go through Madrid, even some of them that go to Barcelona first. Madrid is accessible by bus, train, and plane from most cities in Spain. So your strategy for Madrid is probably sound, particularly if you know that you will be there after Santiago.

Buen camino.
I think my dithering is over and have made decision - Madrid return flight it is. Thanks.

Book your flight out of Madrid direction home asap (as that date is fixed) and take a bus or train to Madrid when you arrive at Santiago or know when you will arrive. No need to complicate things. Buen Camino! SY
Good strategy. Madrid flight gives me a work-too plan and goal, see extended family and allows me to tick one more thing off my list. In fact now I think about I can arrange to meet my wife, son and daughter in Madrid. Hopefully to celebrate my achievement. This Camino just gets better! Thanks.

Initially I had an open time frame to complete CF starting 1st May and was fairly relaxed with "I will get to Santiago when I get there" mindset. Just found out that daughter's graduation is now confirmed earlier than we expected for 1st July so will need to return to England by 29th June. So now I have a dreaded deadline! Crystal ball time - question that is now nagging me and guidance I need please is, given my less than trim athletic physique, blister prone tendency and up to now life long exercise averse attitude can I realistically walk Camino over 45 days, take 5 days rest sight-seeing along the way, imbibe fine wine and food and recuperate a few days in Santiago at the end? Dream was to to meander (meander being the operative word) on to Muxia/Finisterre too without killing myself and make it a race? Either way I suppose I will now need to book return flight from Santiago or is that something that I can defer? The other question that I am pondering is what is a realistic budget 30 or 40 euros per day?
Heck yeah. That's plenty of time and your body recovers quite quickly, especially since you will take a day here and there along the way. It's not a death march by any stretch of the imagination. :cool:
Santiago is a great town, but after a couple of days of roaming about you pretty much see it all and most of your Camino friends have wandered off by then anyway.
Lot's of pilgrims walk the Camino on 30-40 euros a day. Just depends on budget and tastes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good strategy. Madrid flight gives me a work-too plan and goal, see extended family and allows me to tick one more thing off my list. In fact now I think about I can arrange to meet my wife, son and daughter in Madrid. Hopefully to celebrate my achievement. This Camino just gets better! Thanks.
My second Camino flew to Madrid from Santiago on Iberia Express, but I think Vueling has a flight to there as well.
Easy and cheap to get to the airport in Santiago via bus. Less than an hour and cost 3 euros I think.

Heck yeah. That's plenty of time and your body recovers quite quickly, especially since you will take a day here and there along the way. It's not a death march by any stretch of the imagination. :cool:
Santiago is a great town, but after a couple of days of roaming about you pretty much see it all and most of your Camino friends have wandered off by then anyway.
Lot's of pilgrims walk the Camino on 30-40 euros a day. Just depends on budget and tastes.
When I think about it I have 59 days in total to play with, not that it will initially feel like play! with 31 days in May and 28 days in June - so injuries permitting everything should hopefully fit in. Thanks for your comments

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agree with all of the above except the need to go through Madrid on your return. You can fly direct from Santiago to London in 2 hrs . Last year I flew direct from Santiago on Air Lingus to Dublin on a 2 hr flight. You can do this on Ryan Air or Easy Jet. Check skyscanner.net. I just did. You can do this, jostony and congrats on your daughter's graduation. Buen Camino! Pat

Agree with all of the above except the need to go through Madrid on your return. You can fly direct from Santiago to London in 2 hrs . Last year I flew direct from Santiago on Air Lingus to Dublin on a 2 hr flight. You can do this on Ryan Air or Easy Jet. Check skyscanner.net. I just did. You can do this, jostony and congrats on your daughter's graduation. Buen Camino! Pat
Thank you for your congrats. The return via Madrid is now on table as I will use any time captured from any "unexpected burst in energy" I may experience should I hopefully get fitter and can spend free time with cousins for yet more indulgence on wine and food!

We finished in 41 days and I am a slow poke. You never know the twists and turns the Camino has in store fore you but, 45 days barring any great injuries sounds good to me. The money situation of 30 euros is fine. Enjoy your journey and your daughters graduation. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen camino.
No, thats not true. There are flights to Germany from Santiago, I have tickets for one of those. Also flights to Ireland, Italy, Turkey, Switzerland, Paris, London. Not too far is A Coruna that has flights to London, Paris, Lisboa.

We finished in 41 days and I am a slow poke. You never know the twists and turns the Camino has in store fore you but, 45 days barring any great injuries sounds good to me. The money situation of 30 euros is fine. Enjoy your journey and your daughters graduation. Buen Camino!
Congratulations on completing your Camino - hope you had a wonderful time. Thanks for good wishes and update re budget.

When I think about it I have 59 days in total to play with, not that it will initially feel like play! with 31 days in May and 28 days in June - so injuries permitting everything should hopefully fit in. Thanks for your comments
I am overweight, and walk like a turtle. Walked the CF in 33 stages.
You can walk to sdc and walk back in 59 days because you will be lot fitter on your return.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was 64 when I started my camino.I had spent 35 years sitting behind a desk getting fat and very unfit. O lets be honest, obese is the word. I set off at least 2 stone over weight and suffering from type 2 diabetes. It nearly killed me on the first day and that was from Pamplona climbing Perdon rather than Pyrenees. Are you getting the picture of someone who should have been no where near the camino. I finished in under 40 days, not much under but under. If I could do it then I reckon anyone can. I would leave the booking of flights till about Triacastella, you may still be in time frame but racing to catch a plane. You will know by that stage how long it is going to take you to complete. There is an albergue at the end of town with free internet and printing facilities to print out your flight documentation. 40€ per day, are you planning on luxury travel :) 20 to 30 should do with just the odd day going over for like ice cream and an extra bottle of wine :) By the way, I too need to be back in time for my daughter graduating so know your worry. I have been to 4 for my kids, absolutely boring events but would not miss them for the world

Last edited:
Yes proud of daughter - I might also be able to save a few pennies now she has graduated - but I doubt it! Thanks for helpful guidance. I will go for wiggle room and that way if I am under budget I can just drink better wine!
Or more wine! It's a win, win situation. Buen Camino.

Sounds great, can't wait to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good advice above on booking flights and buying wine (priorities? I like it!)
I walked from SJPdP to SdC in 40 days. I had the luxury of no deadline so I totally lost track of time. I am old, out of shape, slept late (as best you could in an albergue), meandered, and took rest days. I'm sure you can do it. Don't rush yourself, though - that's a good way to get injured and that will slow you WAY down.
Buen Camino

59 days (and many more days...) sounds like a blessing indeed. Wish you a wonderfull time, on the camino and with your daughter and family.

Depending on your finances off course: if 59 days feels like limiting, take the freedom to book a return trip from madrid to londen special for the graduation, and enjoy as much camino as you want after again. Booking now with ryanair is less then €100 return. Return from SdC-London for like €120. A present to yourself for being a proud father from a graduating daughter. :)

Last edited:
I walked from SJPdP to SdC in 40 days. I had the luxury of no deadline so I totally lost track of time. I am old, out of shape, slept late (as best you could in an albergue), meandered, and took rest days. I'm sure you can do it. Don't rush yourself, though - that's a good way to get injured and that will slow you WAY down.
Buen Camino
Thanks for advice

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Virtually all flights to and from Spain go through Madrid, even some of them that go to Barcelona first. Madrid is accessible by bus, train, and plane from most cities in Spain. So your strategy for Madrid is probably sound, particularly if you know that you will be there after Santiago.Buen camino.
He's from Cambridge, England? We have direct flights from SDC. I see that he is going to Madrid anyway.

Buen Camino
Thanks. Consistent message seems to be rein in over exuberance, listen to your body, slow down and pace yourself - and reward yourself with good wine (perhaps the latter is just my idea!)

59 days (and many more days...) sounds like a blessing indeed. Wish you a wonderfull time, on the camino and with your daughter and family.

Depending on your finances off course: if 59 days feels like limiting, take the freedom to book a return trip from madrid to londen special for the graduation, and enjoy as much camino as you want after again. Booking now with ryanair is less then €100 return. Return from SdC-London for like €120. A present to yourself for being a proud father from a graduating daughter. :)
Thank you for kind words.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back