• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 8 arrival in Cuenca

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hello Lana planners.

I left Alicante on March 28th and arrived yesterday in Cuenca. I'm not sure if any of my stage information will be of benefit to anyone as I have walked monster stages, averaging 40km per day but I'll try to highlight spots that may be difficult.

Day 1 Alicante-Novelda 30 km
Pretty straight forward and the Albergue in Novelda, run by the amigos, has everything one needs kitchen included. Paco is very helpful! BE CAREFUL if following old info as the albergue has moved and is now on Avenida de la Constitución 96. According to Google maps the street doesn't exist. Why? Need to plug in the name in Valenciano! Just ask in the street.

Day 2 Novelda-Sax-Villena-Caudete 52+ km
I got lost several times. Getting to Elda at about km 14 was no problem but getting out of Sax? Who knows what happened but I ended up walking around in circles and ended up following Google maps. Be careful! Leaving Sax was fine but out of Villena was another problem, so bad that I followed the AV 809 for the last 10 km into Caudete! According Joaquín, the amigo that runs the albergue in Caudete the route is perfectly marked. Don't know where I went wrong.
The albergue is way up in Plaza Santa Ana but it has heating and blankets and a kitchen!!! Just be careful as the fuse will flip=no electricity if too much on at the same time.

Day 3 Caudete-Almansa 26 km
Easy walk but quite boring aside highway or train tracks, also no towns in between.
Enjoyed relaxing. Do visit the castle (which I had already done when I walked the Levante in 2014 which also crosses here).
Stayed with the sisters. No cooking facilities.

Day 4 Almansa-Alpera (22,9)-Ataloz (25,4 km)
Absolutely beautiful stages, unfortunately it rained for 9 hours straight with winds so minimal picture taking or enjoying. Goes through deserted Sierra region. The 2 coffees in Alpera was very welcome.

General comment: up to now you only see signs for the Sureste, no mention of the Lana and leaving Alpera I saw signs for a town on the Levante! Later on you will see signs for the splits so no panic.
Also note - there is nothing between Almansa and Alpera or Alpera and Altaloz.

Day 5 Altaloz-Alcalá de Júcar-Casas Ibañéz-Villamalea 44 km
BE CAREFUL! Getting in and out of Alcalá is a horror and...I got lost again and again and ended up following a yellow/white route to get down to Alcalá (thanks to help from a local). To get up and out of Alcalá I just followed signs to the Castillo. You need to get yourself to Las Eras. There again little to no arrows. A gentleman familiar with the Lana (there are few) pointed me in the right direction. Then...I got lost in the vineyards. There was much mud to boot! You know, the kind that sticks to your shoes. According to my timing I lost 1 hour in the vineyards and once again turned on Google maps with the last km along a provincial rood! And to end the day there is no albergue in Villamalea although my info said there was. There is actually a disgusting, dirty half eaten mat on the floor in an annex of the polideportivo. The gentleman didn't even want to show it to me, so bad it was (and ask Laurie, I'm not picky!) So off I went to the only hostal in town for €25. After such a day I really appreciated a nice bed and private bath. It was there that I met the one and only pilgrim, a 74 year old Frenchman who had left Alicante 3 days earlier than me.

Later I will post the rest. Off to visit Cuenca before it starts to rain. Expecting showers and lightning! And it's cold!

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks so much Lee. Your info has been very helpful. I leave home tonight to travel to Alicante on the overnight bus and will step out on the Lana on Sunday.

Thanks for posting your experience LTfit. You've had an adventure! Too bad about the rain and the mud. I can imagine how bad it can get walking through all the fields and appreciate my luck with the weather just 2 weeks ago. Look forward to seeing the rest of your story.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Back again after playing tourist in Cuenca - what a jewel!

General comment: from day 6-8 signage was (thankfully) good!

Day 6 Villamalea-Villarta-Graja de Iniesta-Campillo de Altobuey
Once again false information on a file I had printed out. There are NO albergues in Graja or Campillo.
Made a coffee stop in Graja and the bar owners said that the problem arises frequently with pilgrims although there is a hostel they said.
In Campillo the town offers the polideportivo where they have 2 thin mats and one blanket, also showers but no heating. In addition you may sleep in the big hall on thick gymnastics mats which is what I did. You are given a key and so can get in and out. By 9 p.m. the activities were done and main lights turned off (bathroom lights still worked).

Day 7 Campillo-Paracuellos (16,6 km)-Monteagudo de las Salinas 35 km
Long day, not so much due to km but as had no coffee/rest break until I arrived in Monteagudo. Bars were closed leaving Campillo and Paracuellos looked dead. I hear that there is a Casa Rural there but didn't see it.
Finally out of the vineyards, now more hilly, rocky and forests. Nice change. Lots of ups and downs.
There is also no albergue in Monteagudo but the alcaldesa is extremely helpful and friendly. When I told her that I hadn't had a coffee all day (it was 15.00 by now) she took me to the town's social club which was closed but did have an automatic coffee machine. She treated me to a double cappuccino! How lovely it tasted. Sleeping quarters were the local library and her husband brought me a real mattress and turned on the heat. There was a toilet but no shower. In the afternoon the social club was open and women were painting and playing cards. The room was nice and toasty!

Day 7 Monteagudo de las Salinas-Fuentes (23,4 km)-Cuenca 45+ km.
Through pine forrests and Sierra. Nice walk but it was almost freezing! My fingers didn't warm up until Fuentes where I hear most people stay. From Fuentes on hilly and agricultural. At once point you cross the highway and see a sign 6km to Cuenca. But not for you! Following the route you have 9+ km. The Lana takes you away from the road and through a hilly area till you reach the modern part of Cuenca. Don't think that you have arrived! To reach the albergue you have another 30 minutes at least.
Luis is responsible for the albergue (I believe that he is the president of the local Amigos group) so let him know (Tel: 636351061) when you plan on arriving. I called him from a coffee break in La Melgosa, the last town before Cuenca. He is a very dedicated pilgrim/Hospitalero, will sign you in, explain everything and give you a key. He is the one to thank for the excellent markings along the Camino in the area.

That's it from me. Tomorrow I fly home for a few day visit as my son will be "defending" his Bachelor thesis. I will come back next week but may not continue on the Lana. I have walked several times where I had no contact with other pilgrims due to the solitary nature of the route (Mozárabe from Granada-Merida 16 days and the Camino de Madrid (only 2 encounters till Sahagún) but at this time I am in for some company. It has been fine and luckily I speak Spanish so I can chat with locals but it may be the combo of few albergues, cool to cold weather and no company that makes me question my returning now. I just may have enough time to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago. To be continued.

Thanks so much Lee. Your info has been very helpful. I leave home tonight to travel to Alicante on the overnight bus and will step out on the Lana on Sunday.
Thanks lee . Very helpful . We are thinking of walking this route in May Enjoy the rest and look forward to reading

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A last note on my way to Madrid;

The albergue in Cuenca (great location by the way) was very cold due to stone construction and no heating. My sleeping bag and two blankets were needed to sleep and luckily there were more than enough for me as alone but the temperature was too uncomfortable to stay for any length of time if not covered up. There is no kitchen but a microwave. Plus point: the shower was very hot.

The albergue in Cuenca (great location by the way) was very cold due to stone construction and no heating.
I agree. Have been there last Wednesday. A 4* hotel nearby had rooms for 36 EUR
I couldn't resist and enjoyed bath tub.
I am now in Atienza, had very much rain and mud, but it will get better soooon!

Hi Lift,
Thanks so much for your updates and experiences. I am a fair weather walker and plan doing the Lana in late August this year. Starting from Valencia and following the Requena to join the Lana at Monteagudo de las Salinas before heading up to Burgos, along the FC to Leon, along the El Salvador and then camino primitivo to Santiago. Is there any other types of accommodation in MdS other than the Library?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Lift,
Thanks so much for your updates and experiences. I am a fair weather walker and plan doing the Lana in late August this year. Starting from Valencia and following the Requena to join the Lana at Monteagudo de las Salinas before heading up to Burgos, along the FC to Leon, along the El Salvador and then camino primitivo to Santiago. Is there any other types of accommodation in MdS other than the Library?

Glad I could help!

You are planning quite a combination! I hope that you are good with hot weather (as I am) because starting from Valencia late August will be scorching! I walked the Levante late June and July from Valencia to Toledo and by the time we reached Toledo it was 40 degrees c. That tested my limit. My walking companion swore never to walk with me again in such weather.

To answer your question, yes there is other accommodations in MdS. Along the route on the left before you actually go into town there is a casa rural Sandra. You can't miss it, the house is white and on the side they painted "Casa Rural - Bar".

Should I return to finish the Cuenca-Burgos stretch I will probably do it in June.

Ultreia!

Hi LTfit,

firstly sorry for the typo error with your name in my earlier post.

Secondly I am well used to the hot conditions. On the 23rd August last year I left Alicante and walked the Sureste, joined the FC and then the Invierno to Santiago. On the 23rd August 2017 I left Seville and walked the VDLP and then the Sanabres. Both times for the first three week the temperatures were in the high thirties and the odd day 40+. I love the heat as I get far too much poor weather here in Ireland.

Thanks for the information on the accommodation in MdS. Hopefully if all goes well I will be using the Casa Rural there.

Ultreia to you too.

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for someone to share a taxi to Sarria from Santiago Airport on Sunday 28th April. Flight due to arrive at 4.15pm We are a party of 2 people

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.