• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day bag suggestions for those shipping main bag ahead each day

AnneO

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Frances
2024 Portugues
i have a history of back issues so when I do my first Camino next year I will be shipping my main bag ahead each day. Carrying it is not a risk I am willing to take. Given that, I am trying to determine what kind of bag would be best to carry while walking and what items are essential to have with me. Looking for the experiences of others who ship their main bags. I will be walking in May/June 2023.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is a thread on that question - it is a few years old but still valid.

I would emphasize that you should put as much care into choosing your day pack, as you would into choosing a larger one to carry all day, especially if you have a history of back issues.

The day pack should be able to carry several pounds comfortably all day - rain gear, cold gear, snacks, water, daily odds and ends. You should have a sternum/chest strap and hip belt to transfer weight. Do NOT think that you can use a flimsy little bag or that you don't need the support straps, as that would defeat the whole purpose of not carrying a larger weight.

Edited to add: On the rare occasion that I have sent something by transport, I still wore my good regular 31-L pack, half empty, and sent the surplus items in a separate dry bag.

I totally agree with C clearly's recommendations to you.

Even with having a support bag transported, your carry load could be 5, 6, 7, 8 lbs on any given day, depending on your personal preference to have things close at hand: wet weather gear, perhaps walking sandals, extra socks, a jacket, a fleece, sunscreen, sun umbrella, a few meds, your phone, water and snacks - it can add up, so a day pack that fits well and allows you to carry your load without undue strain is very important. I suggest that you go and try some out at a REI or similar store, where they will take your measurements for torso and hip. Some smaller day packs have torso adjustment and trekking pole attachment capability, such as the Gregory Maya 16. It's a fabulous pack, but there are others as well. Best to go and try them on, check out their features and their fit, and walk around the store with some load. Packs under 20 litres should be amply sufficient.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
https://www.blacks.co.uk/16119857/lowe-alpine-airzone-z-nd-18-litre-daysack-16119857#close This is my day bag that I regularly wear on day hikes and have been wearing for our 15 mile practice hikes, loaded up with my water, poles attached and everything else we expect to carry on our Camino including packed lunch. Our main bags are being transported each day. It feels pretty heavy when I pick it up but once the shoulder and waist straps are fixed, it is really comfortable. The back is also curved away from my back. I am in the UK but it gives you an idea what to look for. Mine is 18l and my husband has the 20l version. Mine is apparently suited a female shape! Whatever I love it!

I've never had to send my pack ahead, but I would opt to carry my regular backpack with good suspension and hip belt and send excess weight in a lightweight foldable duffel or dry bag. Or, if I were planning to send most of my gear ahead every day I would use a smaller backpack with good suspension and hip pack and send ahead a small roller bag or duffel. I wouldn't want to be having to juggle two backpacks on those occasions when I have to carry both - like at the airport, trains, etc.

The advantage to using a larger backpack with a small duffel to ship excess weight ahead is that everything that you need to carry will fit in that one backpack.

This little duffel only weighs 2.8 oz/80 gm and holds about 12 liters.
This packable messenger bag from Decathlon holds 15 liters and weighs 3.5 oz/100 gm, and can be used around town in the evenings.
Or, as @C clearly suggested you could use a dry bag like one of these Ultralight Dry Sacks from Osprey. The 12 liter size weighs 1.2 oz/34 gm, or the 20 liter size weighs 1.6 oz/45 gm. And you can also use the dry sack to wash your clothes, as I've detailed in previous posts.
I've mentioned my method of using a dry bag as a "portable washing machine" before. IMO definitely preferable to stomping on my clothes on the shower floor.

I use a 12 liter dry bag to wash my clothes in, rather than the albergue laundry sinks. As I'm undressing for my shower and the water is warming up I put half a laundry detergent sheet and water in the bag, then my clothes. Then I fill the bag about 3/4 full with water and close it up. I give it a few shakes and set it aside to soak while I shower and dress. I then shake the bag some more to agitate everything well before rinsing in the laundry sink. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean. After wring them out well I roll them up in my towel and twist it. This method gets my clothes cleaner than using the laundry sinks alone in the albergues. I think that the long soaking time is the secret. I even use the dry bag to wash when I'm staying in a room with my own bathroom.

Here's a pretty good video showing how to wash clothes in a dry bag.

As @Kanga mentioned, I use half of a laundry detergent sheet for each "load" of laundry. They get my clothes clean without making a lot of suds, so it's easier to rinse the clothes out.

You have any small backpacks like the ones kid's carry their books to school in these days? The typical synthetic nylon setup, with a large main pouch, an outer pocket or two and padded straps? If you do, that's all you need, and they're all about same and you shouldn't be carrying more that 3-5 pounds worth of stuff in it because otherwise what's the point? Some snacks, water and perhaps a fleece or rain jacket if the weather requires.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Due to back problems (and being 63 years old, that also helps) , I've been studying the market of small backpacks because I'll need one on my next Camino.
My constraints were:
1- Maximun 20 liters
2- With belt and shoulder straps to ensure a good fit.
3- Pockets on the belt strap
4-A small net to carry a water bottle outside the main compartment
5- With straps to carry a hiking pole
6- As light as possible.
After seeing various options I've bought through Amazon the Salomon Trailblazer 20; that I think is the one that beter fits to my needs.
Hope that helps.

Due to back problems (and being 63 years old, that also helps) , I've been studying the market of small backpacks because I'll need one on my next Camino.
My constraints were:
1- Maximun 20 liters
6- As light as possible.
After seeing various options I've bought through Amazon the Salomon Trailblazer 20; that I think is the one that beter fits to my needs.
Hope that helps.
As I continue to do research, I think these are going to be my requirements as well.

Thsnks to everyone for the great suggestions!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As I continue to do research, I think these are going to be my requirements as well.

Thsnks to everyone for the great suggestions!
Sounds like this list is a good one as I wish mine had pockets in the belt but I do wear a really good expandable belt called a "running belt" on Amazon which takes loads of bits including my phone.

You have any small backpacks like the ones kid's carry their books to school in these days? The typical synthetic nylon setup, with a large main pouch, an outer pocket or two and padded straps? If you do, that's all you need, and they're all about same and you shouldn't be carrying more that 3-5 pounds worth of stuff in it because otherwise what's the point? Some snacks, water and perhaps a fleece or rain jacket if the weather requires.
The problem with kids school backpacks is that most of them put the weight on your shoulders instead of your hips. The shoulder weight will cause shoulder and backpain. I do not recommend these unless you happen to find one that 1) fits you very well and 2) still has the hip belt and chest strap for proper weight placement.

My constraints were:
1- Maximun 20 liters
6- As light as possible.
Hope that helps.
The only one I might disagree with here is #1. You could go either way on this one.

You can have a 30-40L well fitting lighter weight backpack that you can put EVERYTHING in - and have a stuff sack or lightweight packable bag that you place half or more of the contents in and ship that secondary bag ahead.

OR... you can have a bigger bag that you put everything in and remove only your daypack and your daytime needs in.

Personally, I would lean towards having a good quality 30L pack, make sure I pack light as if I was carrying everything town to town, because you will also be getting to/from the Camino via trains/planes/buses etc and you want your main bag to be light and comfortable too. Then have a stuff sack big enough to hold most of your gear that you don't need during the day and remove that to ship ahead. Then you still have a high quality backpack that fits well for both circumstances. I personally think this option is simpler - though others might disagree. It also helps prevent you from overpacking. You may not think overpacking is a problem if shipping your bag ahead daily - but again - think about the time that you WILL have to manage all of your gear yourself. But having a well fitted bag with hip belts and chest strap is essential either way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's an interesting view that had never occurred to me before. But we don't tend to walk with everything on our backs We have done several organised but self-guided walking holidays and we always pack everything including our day packs into lightweight suitcases (with wheels) to put in the airplane hold etc. and to be transported by taxi to the next destination.

i have a history of back issues so when I do my first Camino next year I will be shipping my main bag ahead each day. Carrying it is not a risk I am willing to take. Given that, I am trying to determine what kind of bag would be best to carry while walking and what items are essential to have with me. Looking for the experiences of others who ship their main bags. I will be walking in May/June 2023.
same here, (shoulder issues), I settled on the Deuter Speedlite 22 made for a woman's stature--lots of support, lightweight--I love it. the Ospreys I looked at were too heavy and complicated.

Foot care and blister prevention/treatments, small first aid kit are helpful also.
We used small, foldable waterproof backpack for daypack(Columbia from REI).
No hip belt, no shoulder pads, but less than 6 pounds total and not a problem. We were on CF in March 2020 and had our share of rain but the bag functioned like a champ.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I offer this as an option as I find 20L packs can cost nearly as much as a 40L or 50L pack. It is a bit bigger but much lighter than most 20L packs. Just a thought.

The problem with kids school backpacks is that most of them put the weight on your shoulders instead of your hips. The shoulder weight will cause shoulder and backpain. I do not recommend these unless you happen to find one that 1) fits you very well and 2) still has the hip belt and chest strap for proper weight placement.
I'm talking about 3-5 pounds of stuff, at the most because it is well, a day pack and not a backpack. Those specifications for fit etc apply to full size backpacks. Not something you are carrying a couple of water bottles and fleece pullover inside of. If one carries more than that one should carry a backpack and not a day pack lol.

Sorry to be late to the pack party, but I just wanted to say that I also have chronic lower back pain and find that carrying a well-fitting, internal frame, load-transferring pack makes my back very happy. If I carry a small several pound load in a ”regular” day pack, my back hurts a lot within a few hours. As @jeanineonthecamino pointed out, a day pack with no support will likely irritate your back a LOT more than a good internal frame pack.

I am not saying that all people with back issues can carry packs, of course. But a good pack doesn’t put any weight on your back, it puts it all on your hips. I think many people just assume that back issues mean that carrying a pack is out of the question and that’s just not always true. So for those who haven’t investigated, it might be worth further inquiry. Being able to put on your pack in the morning and walk till you want to stop really adds to the sense of self-sufficiency, and it liberates you from a lot of advance planning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We developed problems along the camino and had to start having our packs transported. Our waist packs worked fine to carry what we needed while walking: blister kit, phone, lightweight poncho, extra socks, snack, water, money, passport, credencial. No need for a full backpack. REI waistpack

Being able to put on your pack in the morning and walk till you want to stop really adds to the sense of self-sufficiency, and it liberates you from a lot of advance planning.
I wouldn’t do this regardless, so that isn’t a factor me. I know myself well enough to know that I would spend the whole time walking worrying about where I would sleep. And I like advance planning. The trick for me is going to be not doing too much planning and resisting the urge to book the whole thing in advance. 😄

We developed problems along the camino and had to start having our packs transported. Our waist packs worked fine to carry what we needed while walking: blister kit, phone, lightweight poncho, extra socks, snack, water, money, passport, credencial. No need for a full backpack. REI waistpack
I have considered this also. Luckily I have the time to try out things and see what will work best for me.

Here is a thread on that question - it is a few years old but still valid.

I would emphasize that you should put as much care into choosing your day pack, as you would into choosing a larger one to carry all day, especially if you have a history of back issues.

The day pack should be able to carry several pounds comfortably all day - rain gear, cold gear, snacks, water, daily odds and ends. You should have a sternum/chest strap and hip belt to transfer weight. Do NOT think that you can use a flimsy little bag or that you don't need the support straps, as that would defeat the whole purpose of not carrying a larger weight.

Edited to add: On the rare occasion that I have sent something by transport, I still wore my good regular 31-L pack, half empty, and sent the surplus items in a separate dry bag.
Do not forget any and all medications. A back up list on your phone and if possible the list translated.

I will be walking in may june next year and my bag will be shipped everyday
I am using an osprey 36 as my day bag

Hi AnneO
We did our first camino last autumn. Aside from other medical problems I have a bad scoliosis that gives me some chronic back pain. We went to MEC (sort of the Canadian version of REI). The back pack guy sized me up with a Gregory 25 liter pack. We never filled it, but it would have had room for anything we would have wanted to carry. The size was needed to be the right length for my back (6 foot 1 inch). It has a great frame that actually made my back feel better wearing it while walking, than walking without it. It has lots of room and it fits a water bladder. Make sure you get a bag with a good waist strap as that is the key to keeping the weight comfortably on your pelvic bones and not on your shoulders or back. Also be sure someone who really knows packs and hiking sets you up. That will make all the difference in the world.

It depends? If you are doing the CF…you may be able to manage with a fanny pack on some days. May and June could be quite warm? A lot depends on the weather and what section you are on. There are some sections where food and drink are available about every 5km orless, while other sections where you may go 15km-17km without any resupply opportunities. My point being that are options on the CF.

I have walked some sections with no pack at all! If the weather is good….I might wear a couple of cool max layers and a light jacket. If it is cooler, sometimes I put on the dollar clear plastic rain poncho for additional warmth. As it warms up, I collapse the thin poncho, then tie the sleeves of my light jacket around mywaste. A 16oz bottle of water and fruit go in my pants pockets. My fanny pouch has 3 liter capacity. My mini IPad goes inside as well as documents, CCs, and first aide stuff. Thus, I spread the weight out.

If the weather is really inclement, and/ or its a long schlepp without refreshments, then I, use a 15 liter Osprey daylight pack.

I'm talking about 3-5 pounds of stuff, at the most because it is well, a day pack and not a backpack. Those specifications for fit etc apply to full size backpacks. Not something you are carrying a couple of water bottles and fleece pullover inside of. If one carries more than that one should carry a backpack and not a day pack lol.
If you have back pain, a 3-5 pound bag hanging on your shoulders for 6+ hours could really case a flair up of whatever is causing the back pain in the first place. Plenty of "day packs" now have hip belts and chest straps and place the bulk of the weight on your hips - but don't put pressure on your lower back like some hip packs without shoulder straps do.

I've never had to send my pack ahead, but I would opt to carry my regular backpack with good suspension and hip belt and send excess weight in a lightweight foldable duffel or dry bag. Or, if I were planning to send most of my gear ahead every day I would use a smaller backpack with good suspension and hip pack and send ahead a small roller bag or duffel. I wouldn't want to be having to juggle two backpacks on those occasions when I have to carry both - like at the airport, trains, etc.

The advantage to using a larger backpack with a small duffel to ship excess weight ahead is that everything that you need to carry will fit in that one backpack.

This packable messenger bag from Decathlon holds 15 liters and weighs 3.5 oz/100 gm, and can be used around town in the evenings.
Or, as @C clearly suggested you could use a dry bag like one of these Ultralight Dry Sacks from Osprey. The 12 liter size weighs 1.2 oz/34 gm, or the 20 liter size weighs 1.6 oz/45 gm. And you can also use the dry sack to wash your clothes, as I've detailed in previous posts.

re. "This packable messenger bag from Decathlon holds 15 liters and weighs 3.5 oz/100 gm, and can be used around town in the evenings."

I've carried a shoulder back across my body for hundreds of km in Asia and Oz and a bit in the UK --

I also have 2 little backpacks - 1 about ? 15 or 20 lt I think - a real one and one which is a tiny thing - a fit in your pocket one from ? decathlon from memory -

I used the shoulder because of it's anti theft - it's a pacsafe --

it's a wonderful bag - but, I would not even consider it for walking distances like 20 plus Km day in day out - no way

it rubs on your hip and it's just not a backpac.
For my 20 to 50 k days - I use the normal day backpac - about 15/20 lt with a couple of pockets on the side for umbrella or water bottle - in Asia - I use insulated metal water bottles - in France - if I carry water in the pack - it's just a kids plastic disposable water bottle from the supermarket.

I'm in Croatia atm - and, I only brought the little pocket job with me - it's about 10 lt I think - and, I've walked max 30 km with it here - but, it's been very good - considering it's like wearing pantyhose for straps and filling the bum bit with your stuff - the only things that it's really carried is my ipad to morning coffee - and, through the day - the layers as they've come off.

I always wear a pacsafe bumbag - or bellybag - always - it's got my passport, wallet, iphone, that kind of thing in it -- I don't use a padlock on it - I use a little shackle - so - it's steel wired to me - and, the shackle takes ??? maybe 10 seconds or a little more to undo - and do up - it's zero fuss and you know that it's as secure as you can get. If I'm in a really crowded dodgy place - the shackle goes through at least one zip - so, one compartment is fully locked to you - you can do both compartments - but, I don't bother.
the vast bulk of my transactions are done by watch - so, I never have to open a bag or reach into a pocket.

anyway - I would suggest not a shoulder bag for the longer walking projects - although I've done ????? I don't know - probably way over 1000 km with one ----------- oh, there's one place it shines --- a quick draw pocket for the umbrella - if you need to deploy rapidly for a dog attack - the shoulder bag - it's top of the class there

I use different bag setups, depending on which country I'm in - there's security reasons for that

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Pintohoo - I didn't suggest that a shoulder bag be used as a day pack. I suggested that the primary larger backpack be carried, and that heavier items could be sent ahead in a packable bag, such as the messenger bag from Decathlon.

On my first Camino, I started to send my pack ahead until one day, I had overestimated my ability and struggled to reach the albergue where my pack was waiting for me. That night I felt like giving up. Decided that a solution would be to carry my own pack because I was probably carrying more than I was sending ahead. Next morning, I started carrying my pack quite happily knowing I didn’t have to play pack catchup. Since that day, I have returned to walk from Porto to SDC and onto Finistere and Muxia as well as the Ingles. In 2019, I walked del Norte carrying my own pack. I was born in ‘45 and have had back problems. I have a 32 litre pack with a weight of 5kg before water and food.

@Pintohoo - I didn't suggest that a shoulder bag be used as a day pack. I suggested that the primary larger backpack be carried, and that heavier items could be sent ahead in a packable bag, such as the messenger bag from Decathlon.
Hi t,
I see that. I was putting up my experience. I vary what bags and carry things country to country - a lot depends on if a capsicum spray can be legally carried - here, in Croatia - it's legal (thankfully) - I carry the same little setup here as in France as I will in Spain - pic below.

The spray or no spray makes how I carry an umbrella differently --- last week in a place called Vrilo, Croatia - a spring at the base of some hills/mountains - I was attacked by a dog -- a full on charge, large dog -

result -- Pinto 1 - Dog, zero

this weighs nothing - of course the water wouldn't last long on really hot days

1649150469674.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well we’re all different I suppose - the only correct solution is what works for you, and that’ll probably involve trial and error.

Personally I can’t take much weight directly down on my left shoulder due to an old injury - so my daysack is at least 35 litres, so as to have sufficient back length to get the majority of the weight onto my hips. Nothing wrong with a big bag so long as you’re disciplined as to what you put in it.

Pintohoo - it’s a pleasure to have you here; welcome. It’s going to take a while to get rid of the mental image of the ‘pantyhose shoulder bag’ though.

I have only shipped ahead one day and worried myself sick about my bag until I was re-united with it. Those who do ship ahead--do you find you bring along more things? I think in the summer a day bag with a bottle of water and a few snacks would be an ideal load. Especially if there's little rain in the forecast.

I have a waist pack that holds a water bottle and has a few zippered compartments for things like credential, passport, sunglasses, and maybe a granola bar. Got it from Travel Smith/Magellan.

I hadn’t considered using my osprey and sending a duffle or dry bag ahead during my first several days. I am trying to prevent my shin splints from flaring up, so planning to carry water, meds, passport, weather gear and use trekking poles (and take short strides, go slow). This is such a helpful solution!

I have just washed my Osprey 20 litre backpack for the second time. It smelled fishy yesterday after carrying shopping home. It is spotless and dried overnight. I have used it as a daybag and it sits very well. Name is Daylite.

Lots of good tips here already.

And as another back pain sufferer, the only point I would make is this.

By all means carry a 'small' day pack with the essentials you need for the day.

But make sure it is a 'proper' pack.

Good internal support, well padded straps, and most importantly a good hip belt. Because all the weight should be on the hip belt. On my own pack, there is zero weight on my shoulders. I can slide my hand under the shoulder straps......

I like Ospreys. My wife and I both use them.
The ones we use are classed as day packs. 34L and 22L
Probably a 12-15 litre size would fit the task for you.
Just that the smaller ones tend not to have the 'comfort' factors, like padded straps, good belts etc.
So maybe don't worry about the size too much, but go for the comfort factor....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there any negative aspect to having a large capacity bag that isn’t filled with very much? I found a 45L bag that feels more comfortable than any other bag I tried. I won’t be carrying anywhere near that much but is that a bad thing in any way?

Is there any negative aspect to having a large capacity bag that isn’t filled with very much? I found a 45L bag that feels more comfortable than any other bag I tried. I won’t be carrying anywhere near that much but is that a bad thing in any way?
No.
edit: It is not a bad thing. In any way. It is what you have, use it!

Last edited:
A bigger bag may weigh more. And there is in many a tendency to have our stuff expand to fill the available space. But, that said, pack fit is much more important than pack size. If the 45L bag seems to fit best, after adjustments are made, then that is what I would go with.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.