• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Day Four: Laruns to Gabas

Charl

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis 2014
Had a restless night, confirming my suspicion that that a tiny, windowless room with six stacked beds and no en-suite is not my favourite accommodation. We had out usual latish start, heading out of pretty Laruns around nine. There's going to be no rushing out the door on this Camino...

We soon picked up a hiking trail that formed a contour path along the valley slope above the Ossau river. Lots of trees had fallen across the trail so the going was slow. At one point we had to cross a crevice in which lay a massive ice flow, unfamiliar terrain for us South Africans, not used to snow. Most of the time the amber green forest we passed through was all hobbit and fairy scenery - tall, hulking trees covered in moss, exotic ferns and cute little mountain streams. All first class but tough hiking fare.

We walked through the small, elegant-looking hamlet of Eaux Chaud just before lunch. Similar to many towns we'd passed through so far there was hardly a soul to be seen. It's known for it's hot water spas, but right now it looked like it had been abandoned a hundred years ago. It had an eerie atmosphere that felt like a haunted asylum. Jokes about mad scientists had us crackng up, laughter echoeing against the walls of the narrow vally. I took a series of photos that I'm sure will show ghostly figures in them when I look at them later on.

As we went on the hiking trail got tougher. It became a familiar pattern - cross a bridge over the Ossau river, steep climb up, level off, downhill towards the river, cross another bridge, up again, etc, etc. When we finally reconnected with the road for the last kilometer into Gabas, we'd covered more than twenty kilometers of tough but very enjoyable hiking.

Gabas is a typical almanac picture town, all green pastures, snow covered peaks overhead and cutesy mountain architecture. According go the information board near the town entrance it's an ages-old (like, REALLY old, try a thousand years) pilgrim stay-over town that featured a long-disappeared pilgrim refuge established to take care of sore feet and aching muscles, and probably wounds from the odd skirmish with wild bears and other forest creatures.

We booked into the small but homely Chez Vignes hotel (darn, no foot rubbing service here), had a tasty dinner (do the French ever NOT make tasty food?) and that was the day for us. Today we really missed all our hiking friends back home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations! The section after crossing the pipes for the power plant felt very hard for me, suitable for mountain goats who are able to walk between and over stones.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Apologies for all the typos, bit difficult writing a blog on an iPhone. Mike due to your warnings we were very aware of the terrain but we took it in our stride, though the distance was longer than I expected.

Apologies for all the typos, bit difficult writing a blog on an iPhone. Mike due to your warnings we were very aware of the terrain but we took it in our stride, though the distance was longer than I expected.
I think I set off at 8.30 and arrived about 4.30ish taking off about an hour in the Eaux Chaud. It was one of those days were the distance was hard to call, you can't really get into a regular stride, its a day off climbing down, jumping down, sliding down, climbing up, climbing over, wading through etc, etc. The distance was a mystery to me, just remember that when I did join the road again just before Grabas I decided to ignore the little off road track on the other side of the road and just finish the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
We did take that little detour, it's an ancient road with some signs if very old stone work but beyond that you didn't miss much.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back