• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day has finally arrived

GaryAus

Time of past OR future Camino
CF December 2017
CF January 2024
After all the planning and preparing, here we go! Leave in 48 hours at 9am Queensland time this Saturday. If you start your Camino at your front door, I have a really long Camino. 2 hours on the bus from Toowoomba to Brisbane, 8 hours to Singapore, 13 hours to Paris, fly to Biarritz and then train to SJPDP. And then off we go!

First Camino. Lots of excitement, bit of anxiety. Mainly about the weather. Almost summer here so coming out of 30 degree heat. I see Roncesvalles was minus 4 last night.....brrrrr.

But have the layers and appropriate gear, not walking alone, and will take heed of advice along the Way from the locals. Don't mind a bit of snow but not going to be stupid about it. Have strict instructions from my wife to return home in one piece!

Lastly thank you to all who contribute to this Forum. I started out knowing nothing about the Camino, and found most of the information I needed here. It has been invaluable. I will report later to Forum members what my Winter Camino was like.

Gary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
wonderful mate. i have just finished my first camino. i am in rome on the way home. i am suufering from the camino nlues and slready thinking sbout the next one.
good luck. enjoy every step and buen camino.

After all the planning and preparing, here we go! Leave in 48 hours at 9am Queensland time this Saturday. If you start your Camino at your front door, I have a really long Camino. 2 hours on the bus from Toowoomba to Brisbane, 8 hours to Singapore, 13 hours to Paris, fly to Biarritz and then train to SJPDP. And then off we go!

First Camino. Lots of excitement, bit of anxiety. Mainly about the weather. Almost summer here so coming out of 30 degree heat. I see Roncesvalles was minus 4 last night.....brrrrr.

But have the layers and appropriate gear, not walking alone, and will take heed of advice along the Way from the locals. Don't mind a bit of snow but not going to be stupid about it. Have strict instructions from my wife to return home in one piece!

Lastly thank you to all who contribute to this Forum. I started out knowing nothing about the Camino, and found most of the information I needed here. It has been invaluable. I will report later to Forum members what my Winter Camino was like.

Gary

Howdy Gary,
Truely a journey that one never forgets. My wife and I recently returned to Brissy from our Camino.
Safe travels
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Gary

Gary

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gary ... I flew from Vancouver Toronto Paris and on to SJ ... 2014 fall was absolutely beautiful.

I look forward to hearing more about your trip ... you will not be disappointed!!
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Gary
Make sure you stay in the moment ... don't focus on 'getting there'. Enjoy.

Nice to meet you in person !
Best wishes for the rest of your journey and enjoy your Christmas in Italy.

Hello All
Its almost 12 months to the day since I posted this initial thread. A quick reflection.

Firstly a Winter Camino was fantastic. Enjoyed every minute of it, even when some of those minutes were wet, snowy, muddy or cold (we actually had pretty good weather). Felt a great sense of achievement in meeting the physical and mental challenge of the Walk, and the feeling when walking into Santiago was quite special. I had no great spiritual awakening except to say that the Camino has certainly set me on a path to see as much of the world as I can on foot, and to accept the karma (spirituality if you will) of that. Walking slows me down, allows things to sink in, gives me some thinking time, makes me appreciate what I've got in my life, and is a positive fitness and physical experience. Not to mention the people you meet, and the friendships that start from a shared experience. Not sure if that's what the Camino is all about, but it was for me.

And hello to Tim above. Was great to walk with you for a short time, and yes Christmas in Italy after the Camino was magnificent. Going back again (for some walking in the Italian Alps in April 2019).

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.