• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day One - Survived!

mariam88

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2017)
Dreaming of a 2019 Camino ...
Well, I survived the first day from SJPP to Roncesvalles :). I meant to walk the Valcarlos route but, being directionally challenged, ended up on the Napoleon route instead. The weather was fantastic though so I'm not annoyed about my mistake. The scrabble downhill towards Roncesvalles was a bit (lot!) challenging for this urban creature but the beer at the end was glorious :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, I survived the first day from SJPP to Roncesvalles :). I meant to walk the Valcarlos route but, being directionally challenged, ended up on the Napoleon route instead. The weather was fantastic though so I'm not annoyed about my mistake. The scrabble downhill towards Roncesvalles was a bit (lot!) challenging for this urban creature but the beer at the end was glorious :D
Glad the weather was wonderful! How long did it take you?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations! Did you experience ice, snow, mud on the Napoleon Route. I start on April 12.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For what it is worth, the first day, over the Napoleon Pass, is the single most steep climb along the ENTIRE Camino Frances. There are other high hills, up to 1,505 meters ASL (at Cruz de Ferro), but none climbs as high as fast as the first 8 Km out of Saint Jean Pied de Port. Add to that that it is the very first day, and you can imagine how daunting it is to many people.

Know that the worst is behind you. The longer you walk, the better condition your body will be in. So, when you come to the next village with the church on a hill in the distance, you KNOW that is where you must go. However, your feet and legs will take you there.

After the first week of sustained walking, your body usually breaks in and finds it's own meter. Listen to your body. Drink LOTS of water. Also, calories are not your enemy on the Camino if you are walking every day. Most folks can eat whatever they want, and STILL lose weight over the month-long Camino to Santiago.

Enjoy! Smell the flowers! Enjoy everything!

I hope this helps.

€83,-

Congratulations Mariam!! It's good to hear that another urbanite has managed the first day!! It gives me hope that maybe my first day in a few weeks' time may be ok too :p!!

Lol... good job!! At times... I'm directionally challenged as well! Ha, so I thought the Camino was similar to that of the land of Oz. You know, in leau of following a yellow brick road... all one has to do is follow a yellow-arrow road?! Yikes, I hope I'm not in trouble! Any tips to get me to Ronceville as per the preferred Brierley route would be greatly appreciated!!

Btw fellow pilgrims-to-be, I am starting Camino on May 13... by any chance, anyone else planning the same departure dathe!?

Also, I am to fly into Madrid on May 11... anyone want to travel to SJDP with me if you have the same arrival date? That'd sure be cool beans!! :)

€83,-
Lol... good job!! At times... I'm directionally challenged as well! Ha, so I thought the Camino was similar to that of the land of Oz. You know, in leau of following a yellow brick road... all one has to do is follow a yellow-arrow road?! Yikes, I hope I'm not in trouble! Any tips to get me to Ronceville as per the preferred Brierley route would be greatly appreciated!!

Btw fellow pilgrims-to-be, I am starting Camino on May 13... by any chance, anyone else planning the same departure dathe!?

Also, I am to fly into Madrid on May 11... anyone want to travel to SJDP with me if you have the same arrival date? That'd sure be cool beans!! :)
I arrive in Madrid on May 11 and am staying overnight. I have a train reservation to Pamplona on the 12th and will take the mid afternoon bus to SJPP where I am going to stay two nights (12/13). On the 14th I will start out and have a reservation at Orisson for the night. On to Roncesvalles on the 15th. This is my second Camino, first was in 2015. Maybe we will cross paths along the route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh this is so awesome!! Thank you! Please feel free to friend request me on Facebook (Lisa Marie Erickson) as so we can messenger in May. Seeing how this is your 2nd time through would it be OK for me to possibly stay in Madrid on the 11th as well & possibly tag team with you to SJDP? Which hotel are you staying at?

This is honestly the ONLY part that frightens me... getting myself to SJDP! I don't even have a train reservation made yet. Kindly advise me a site to do this (unless this is something I can do once I get there?) Funny but I feel perfectly comfortable with the entire Camino trek lol but am totally anxiety ridden with the logistics of just getting to the trail head!!!!

Btw, I do have my reservation for the Orrison for May 13th. Lol was at least able to figure this out!

Congrats on your first day!!
Buen Camino Pilgrim

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great job!

I forgot that I too got lost trying to get out of SJPP. I proudly set off on my Way, only to find, ten minutes later that I was pointed in the wrong direction and had to turn around and go back again. Ha.

Congratulations! Did you experience ice, snow, mud on the Napoleon Route. I start on April 12.
Hi Santiago17: maybe I was lucky but no ice, the only snow I saw was off the path in shaded hollows, a few muddy bits but nothing awful, not even when I went down the wooded steep bit to Roncesvalles

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well done Mariam!

Buen Camino!

Welcome to the club: I am very happy on your behalf: Take in all that the Camino has to offer for you: Easy life, nature, inner thoughts, reflections, et all. I start on my Camino Portuguese in 12-13 days from now! :)

Edit: Remember: Santiago is not the goal: The Way is the goal. You will experience and learn a lot on your Way. Do not rush to Santiago; instead, enjoy the Way to there.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi,

what hour did you leave SJPP ? i leave 20th may
buen camino

Edit: Remember: Santiago is not the goal: The Way is the goal. You will experience and learn a lot on your Way. Do not rush to Santiago; instead, enjoy the Way to there.

Hey Alex, I just wanted to say that I thought this was excellent :)! I fully concur with you. When I set out soon, I hope that The Way will be my goal too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you! Good to know! We will be going that way in Sept. Can't wait!
Buen Camino.
Charlotte
Im hoping to start in Sept as well. Lots of pkanning and reading. Very excited !!!❤

Fantastic to hear your first day went well and that the Napoleon way was passable, I start my own walk in a week on the 15th April

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh this is so awesome!! Thank you! Please feel free to friend request me on Facebook (Lisa Marie Erickson) as so we can messenger in May. Seeing how this is your 2nd time through would it be OK for me to possibly stay in Madrid on the 11th as well & possibly tag team with you to SJDP? Which hotel are you staying at?

This is honestly the ONLY part that frightens me... getting myself to SJDP! I don't even have a train reservation made yet. Kindly advise me a site to do this (unless this is something I can do once I get there?) Funny but I feel perfectly comfortable with the entire Camino trek lol but am totally anxiety ridden with the logistics of just getting to the trail head!!!!

Btw, I do have my reservation for the Orrison for May 13th. Lol was at least able to figure this out!

Website for trains is: www.renfe.com
Fares are cheaper in advance, but non-refundable
The 0735 to Pamplona is still listed as €23.80.

There are several with your name on FB and there is no image to match up. My name is Dennis Dowling and my FB cover photo is a beach shot and I have a Camino t-shirt on. The profile pic is of a sand dollar in my hand. My e-mail is: elhs220@aol.com

Fantastic to hear your first day went well and that the Napoleon way was passable, I start my own walk in a week on the 15th April
I leave on the 15th as well.
Buen Camino

Good to know the route is open and clear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

what hour did you leave SJPP ? i leave 20th may
buen camino
How exciting. Congrats!

It is good to hear that some of you will start before and right after me! I plan to hike up to Orrison on Thursday, May 18...hope to meet you along the way.

I am the one who plays the flute!

Bueno Camino a todos!
Sue

we are in Roncevalles right now and the weather has been glorious- no ice only a few random patches of snow hiding from the sun.. off the path. Not sure what the forecast for the 12 is like though. Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen camino Larniej!

Excelllent , it's all good afterward ,
pretty much everybody take the steep descent , there is another way but it is so easy to miss
the climb at the iron cross is an easy to climb but a bastard to go down too

Congratulations, Mariam! You did it! What an accomplishment. And just the beginning of what will be a magnificent Camino, I'm sure. Already it's showing you how much you can trust in being taken care of. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.