• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day pack essentials (luggage sent ahead every morning)

Walking Mad

Time of past OR future Camino
SJDP to Burgos Sept 2018
Hi all, been trying to find a thread or topic about what to pack in day pack when your luggage is being transported every Day? I am walking from st. Jean to Burgos over two weeks. I would like to hear suggestions of essentials but want to carry as little as possible! Bought a ladies 20ltr osprey day pack and hoping all my daily bits will fit nicely including poles! Is this big enough or should I bring my 32ltr deuter instead as day pack? Want to enjoy the walk workout having to lug a heavy back pack, it's the reason I am sending luggage ahead each day. What you think? Heading this 8th sept

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
20L should be enough. My normal walking pack was 25L and my day pack was 10L! :D

Things that are probably important to keep with you:
- documents / money
- phone for photos and emergencies (if using one)
- water
- snacks
- a pair of socks
- rain cover (if believed necessary)
- sunblocker
- medication/first aid

I probably missed something, but those are the ones I'd not be away from. Basically, kinda what you would carry in a lady's bag for a quick walk out :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walking Mad,

We also used a luggage service. Which was good and bad, good because everything was just taken care of, bad because it allowed us to pack too much stuff.

As for what to put in your daypack. I started with the 10 essential systems

1. Navigation. I had the guidebook and a watch compass, (the WAY at least from Sarria is VERY WELL MARKED), so long as I was generally headed west I kept going.
  2. Sun protection. Sunglasses, sunscreen for lips and skin, hat, clothing for sun protection.
  3. Insulation. Depending on your season. I always had a packable waterproof raincoat and fleece with me. For us, it was cold once the sun went down. Hat, gloves, jacket, extra clothing for coldest possible weather during the current season.
  4. Illumination. I took a headlamp, never needed it, but would always take one because that's just the scout in me. Headlamp, flashlight, batteries. LED bulb is preferred to extend battery life.
  5. First-aid supplies + Blister care, I carried what my wife and I affectionately referred to as the pharmacy. It included a BSA spec-ed individual first aid kit, but a supply of anti-inflammatories (Advil * Aleve, Spanish KT Tape equivalent, anti-diarrhea (some of it was overkill) suffice to say be prepared.
  6. Fire. Yeah, I have a flint and steel, I didn't need it, but so what. Butane lighter matches in waterproof container.
  7. Repair kit and tools. For this category, I include a knife (leave yours at home and get one on the trail they are pretty cool, locking and functional, duck tape, sewing needle with a large eye, and floss. (floss is stronger than thread). Knives, multi-tool, scissors, pliers, screwdriver, trowel/shovel, duct tape, cable ties.
  8. Nutrition. Please take some extra food, just in case the cafe you are shooting for is closed. Add extra food for one additional day (for emergency). Dry food is preferred to save weight and usually needs water.
  9. Hydration. For the section I took (Sarria to Santiago) I took entirely too much water. I filled a 3L bladder every morning, and never drank more than 2L. At best I should have had a 2L bladder and filled it along the way. There were more than enough opportunities. That's for Sarria to Santiago, I've heard there are other stretches where 3L is probably appropriate (a veteran for the sections you are covering could better answer). Add extra 2 liters of water for one additional day (for emergency).
  10. Emergency Shelter. I had a poncho that would have doubled as a shelter. I never needed it, but would take it again. Tarp, bivouac sack, space blanket, plastic tube tent, jumbo trash bags, insulated sleeping pad.
  11. MONEY!!!
Some will say I took too much but, it worked well for us.

Richard
Buen Camino

I saw many a pilgrim carrying only a shoppe type bag in their hand with a bottle of water in it and some snacks or fruit. Their main bag shipped ahead.
It is not a walk in the wilderness. I never saw the need for survival equipment.

I think if you are sending your bag ahead, what goes into your day pack, or even a larger fanny pack, may be somewhat weather dependent as well as route and/or section dependent. Friends went from Sarria with only a fanny pack. They carried a liter of water, documents, money, first aid supplies and a rain poncho. If you are walking in areas that have greater distances between albergues or in the mountains then you might need to take additional nourishment and clothing.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree with those that say you don't need to carry much. But the first day to roncesvalles you may want to carry a bit more such as some snacks extra water.
I'd add a camera but most just use their phone. Most people use their poles all of the time so you don't have to carry them in your bag, I like being able to easily attach mine.
If it's anything like last September You may need gloves and warm gear in the morning and then sunscreen hats sunglasses later on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An easy potty kit with some wet wipes or alcohol based hand cleaner, TP or Kleenex, small baggies or disposable gloves to scoop up nature's call, larger plastic bag in which to put all the disposable stuff when you find a trash can. I had all this in a quart size ziplock and was glad I had it. It won't weigh much and comes in handy outdoors & in cafes where there may not be TP or soap. I agree you need very little survival gear but you do need rain protection. And a hat.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One important item you may need that I don't think anyone has mentioned is some tissue paper.

Instead of TP, I just carry those packets of kleenex (whatever brand). Works for more than just nose and TP. And an empty plastic bag for carrying trash to the next receptacle.
My daypack is a Sea to Summit bag that I also use here at home. Weighs about 3 oz and folds into its own wee bag that's easy to tuck into a pocket until needed.

If you’re thinking of taking a 32l, why not just put everything you need in it and save the bag-transport-charge?
Seriously though, you really don’t need a 32l as a second bag - it honestly would hold everything you need.
Even if you’re sending your bag ahead each day, how about using just a 32l for all your gear and you’d get that magical experience of paring back to necessities. And if you took just a bumbag/fanny pack for your walking you would have the possibility available to carry all your (not much) stuff if you decided you wanted to.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Instead of TP, I just carry those packets of kleenex (whatever brand). Works for more than just nose and TP. And an empty plastic bag for carrying trash to the next receptacle.
My daypack is a Sea to Summit bag that I also use here at home. Weighs about 3 oz and folds into its own wee bag that's easy to tuck into a pocket until needed.

"folds into its own wee bag" raised a small chuckle here this morning. ;)

I found the most important things to take are not only the things you need during the days walk, but also whilst waiting for your pack at the other end, and anything you couldn't replace easily if your pack was lost during transportation.
Lost or stolen pack - yes it happens. Last year we were lucky to have our packs returned. Someone reached into the van, tore off the envelopes containing the money, but also the address. And we had to wait for hours before after much phoning they were identified and we got them back. So if you have anything you cant replace easily, for me that was my charger adapter to a NZ purchased phone, and medications that are quite specific and necessary.
Also if your pack is late being delivered, you can be held up from showering and doing your laundry. I learned to take my change of clothes and a towel with me.
My phone, passport money etc all fit in my shorts pockets.
I fit everything into a small day pack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walking Mad,

We also used a luggage service. Which was good and bad, good because everything was just taken care of, bad because it allowed us to pack too much stuff.

As for what to put in your daypack. I started with the 10 essential systems

1. Navigation. I had the guidebook and a watch compass, (the WAY at least from Sarria is VERY WELL MARKED), so long as I was generally headed west I kept going.
  2. Sun protection. Sunglasses, sunscreen for lips and skin, hat, clothing for sun protection.
  3. Insulation. Depending on your season. I always had a packable waterproof raincoat and fleece with me. For us, it was cold once the sun went down. Hat, gloves, jacket, extra clothing for coldest possible weather during the current season.
  4. Illumination. I took a headlamp, never needed it, but would always take one because that's just the scout in me. Headlamp, flashlight, batteries. LED bulb is preferred to extend battery life.
  5. First-aid supplies + Blister care, I carried what my wife and I affectionately referred to as the pharmacy. It included a BSA spec-ed individual first aid kit, but a supply of anti-inflammatories (Advil * Aleve, Spanish KT Tape equivalent, anti-diarrhea (some of it was overkill) suffice to say be prepared.
  6. Fire. Yeah, I have a flint and steel, I didn't need it, but so what. Butane lighter matches in waterproof container.
  7. Repair kit and tools. For this category, I include a knife (leave yours at home and get one on the trail they are pretty cool, locking and functional, duck tape, sewing needle with a large eye, and floss. (floss is stronger than thread). Knives, multi-tool, scissors, pliers, screwdriver, trowel/shovel, duct tape, cable ties.
  8. Nutrition. Please take some extra food, just in case the cafe you are shooting for is closed. Add extra food for one additional day (for emergency). Dry food is preferred to save weight and usually needs water.
  9. Hydration. For the section I took (Sarria to Santiago) I took entirely too much water. I filled a 3L bladder every morning, and never drank more than 2L. At best I should have had a 2L bladder and filled it along the way. There were more than enough opportunities. That's for Sarria to Santiago, I've heard there are other stretches where 3L is probably appropriate (a veteran for the sections you are covering could better answer). Add extra 2 liters of water for one additional day (for emergency).
  10. Emergency Shelter. I had a poncho that would have doubled as a shelter. I never needed it, but would take it again. Tarp, bivouac sack, space blanket, plastic tube tent, jumbo trash bags, insulated sleeping pad.
  11. MONEY!!!
Some will say I took too much but, it worked well for us.

Richard
Buen Camino
Thanks so much Richard for your detailed and helpful reply! Can't wait now!!

20L should be enough. My normal walking pack was 25L and my day pack was 10L! :D

Things that are probably important to keep with you:
- documents / money
- phone for photos and emergencies (if using one)
- water
- snacks
- a pair of socks
- rain cover (if believed necessary)
- sunblocker
- medication/first aid

I probably missed something, but those are the ones I'd not be away from. Basically, kinda what you would carry in a lady's bag for a quick walk out :)
Thanks so much for your input, it means so much having this forum and experts on hand when I have questions!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone for your help and sound advice! Typing up my pack list etc and gona stick to it! No "just in case, buts or maybes" countdown is on!

I carry in my day pack , my hiking sandals ( weather permitting , I always switch to them after 15 KM) valuables, water, 1 extra shirt/underwear/socks and rain gear. Snack , blister treatment, sunscreen and my beloved guidebook (which I don"t need anymore it being Camino #4 but for some reason just love having it with me :) )

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found the most important things to take are not only the things you need during the days walk, but also whilst waiting for your pack at the other end, and anything you couldn't replace easily if your pack was lost during transportation.
Lost or stolen pack - yes it happens. Last year we were lucky to have our packs returned. Someone reached into the van, tore off the envelopes containing the money, but also the address. And we had to wait for hours before after much phoning they were identified and we got them back. So if you have anything you cant replace easily, for me that was my charger adapter to a NZ purchased phone, and medications that are quite specific and necessary.
Also if your pack is late being delivered, you can be held up from showering and doing your laundry. I learned to take my change of clothes and a towel with me.
My phone, passport money etc all fit in my shorts pockets.
I fit everything into a small day pack.
So if you have all those things in your day pack, only thing left to ship is your sleeps sack? I had a 16 Litre osprey. It was adequate. It held almost everything you had in your day pack: plus cell phone charger and my sleep sack. I didn't need anything else. And somethings suggested in daypack like power bar and repair tools aren't required. Needle that can take your already packed dental floss for repairs is handy. Albergues will supply if required, however.

So if you have all those things in your day pack, only thing left to ship is your sleeps sack? I had a 16 Litre osprey. It was adequate. It held almost everything you had in your day pack: plus cell phone charger and my sleep sack. I didn't need anything else. And somethings suggested in daypack like power bar and repair tools aren't required. Needle that can take your already packed dental floss for repairs is handy. Albergues will supply if required, however.

My main pack was just under 6kgs, for the 5 days I sent my pack ahead (I hurt my knee), I took nearly 1 kg with me in a small cheap backpack I bought in Los Arcos, which dropped my main bag down to 5kg. My day pack also included some fruit and a snack.
There was a lot I took that I never actually used, for instance I took a poncho, sleeping bag, jacket etc. We had only one days rain in a whole Camino, and it was so hot I never wore my jacket, or even took my sleeping bag out for the first 3 weeks.
And I didn't take guide book, toiletries or first aid with me in my day pack, as I was walking with someone else and I borrowed a bit of toothpaste off her if mine wasn't there. I was fortunate not to get blisters.

The next time I went it was cooler to begin with and I used more of my gear more often, in fact I actually used everything I took.
It shows though how little we would need if we could guarantee the weather.

A couple of points though that I didn't make in my earlier comment:
It helps if you get a day pack that allows access to a drink bottle, mine didn't and I had to carry it in my hand. Though it did mean that I drank more frequently.
And to spray your main pack, it will be travelling in a van in close proximity to a lot of other backpacks, and it would be easy for a bed bug hitchhiker to relocate to yours.
The hitchhiker thought didn't occur to me until after I got bitten (I had sprayed my pack anyway)

Hi all, been trying to find a thread or topic about what to pack in day pack when your luggage is being transported every Day? I am walking from st. Jean to Burgos over two weeks. I would like to hear suggestions of essentials but want to carry as little as possible! Bought a ladies 20ltr osprey day pack and hoping all my daily bits will fit nicely including poles! Is this big enough or should I bring my 32ltr deuter instead as day pack? Want to enjoy the walk workout having to lug a heavy back pack, it's the reason I am sending luggage ahead each day. What you think? Heading this 8th sept
I carried some walking sandals hooked to my day bag in addition to those other items because a change of shoes gave my feet a break.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Walking Mad - I carried an Osprey 20L on my leg from Astoria to Santiago this past year. I really was stupid as I, too, wanted to lighten my load but instead found I was adding to it! This is my take - medicines, some food, rain gear and water. If you add much more you are defeating the purpose for sending your large pack/suitcase forward. I'm sure others will add their two cents. Good Luck and Buen Camino. PS I've read you shouldn't attach items to the outside of your pack. Messes with the weight distribution? Just food for thought

Arriving by air, my main pack, a Bergens 46 liter, is inside an IKEA bag. As this Camino we are planning to ship ahead I just empty the bag into the IKEA bag and wear the nearly empty pack. It is more comfortable than a small bag and if we can’t make reservations one day and thus no transport, I will still be able to fill it back up and March on.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.