Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This section is a collection of FAQs on the Camino. No new questions can be posted here, but questions that are asked often will be move here by a moderator.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Day pack - food

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Jozi, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Jozi

Jozi New Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    What Daily food shall I carry & where will I get it

2. SabineP

SabineP Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (2011) C.del Ebro from Zaragoza to Logrono + C.Frances till Carrion de los Condes ( 2013) Ingles (2014) Portugues from Porto (2015).SdC to Fisterra (2016) C. Frances from Carrion dlC ( 2017 )
    Will you walk the Frances?
    In that case there are enough small tiendas aka shops where you will find all the necessary things like water,fruit,tinned goods etc.
    Bigger towns have more choice of supermarkets.
    Some albergues also sell supplies.
    Do not worry...Spain is a first world country and the Frances is not the wilderness.

FamPed, Cathy K., SYates and 6 others like this.
  3. dougfitz

dougfitz Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino France (Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016), Camino Salvado (Sep 2011), St Olav's Way (Jun 2012), Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre (via Muxia) (Apr 2014), St Olav's Way (~Jul 2018)
    I typically carried:
    • a piece of fruit during the day. If I could, I would buy three pieces in the evening - one to consume when I bought it, one for the morning before I left and then one for a mid-morning snack
    • bread, cheese, etc - bread is best bought fresh each day if you can, and sometimes you can get a half loaf so that you are less likely to have leftovers. Alternatively, you can stop for lunch at a bar and get something to eat there.
    • chocolate, dried fruit, nuts and some hard sweets, replenished every few days depending upon consumption rate. Sometimes I would buy a pack of muesli or similar bars.
    As @SabineP said, there are generally plenty of places to replenish, although if I was heading for a smaller town, I would keep my eye out for a shop in the last larger town beforehand and would shop there.

4. Mike Savage

Mike Savage mike-savage.com

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés
    Camino Inglés
    Muxia/Finisterre
    Português da Costa
    Português Central 2017
    Camino Sanabrés 2017
    Camino Inglés 2017
    I always carried hard chocolate and nuts that I would buy at the local tiendas and a jamón y queso bocadillo which never seemed to last long. I really enjoy bocadillos and the ham and cheese are second to none.

Mike

5. Anniesantiago

Anniesantiago Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances 2006,9,11,12,13,14, 16, Aragones 2011,12,
    VDLP 2011, 13, Lourdes 2012, Portuguese 2008, Madrid 2014, (2016)
    I always carry an orange, some bread, and some chocolate.

6. AZgirl

AZgirl Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances 2012 , via de la Plata 2014
    Next up: Madrid/Salvador/primitive Sept/Oct 2017
    I carried similar to above replies. I love trying all the different cheeses, they are wonderful. Also I love to carry dates, they last quite a while and taste like candy to me.

FamPed, Coleen Clark and Camino Chris like this.
  7. Camino Chris

Camino Chris Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (April/May 2017)
    Ditto to everything mentioned in the thread!

FamPed, marylynn and Mike Savage like this.
  8. fraluchi

fraluchi Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    One every year since 2007
    Nuts and plenty of water. One always comes across some stall which sells a bocadillo.;)

FamPed, SabineP, FLEUR and 1 other person like this.
  9. domigee

domigee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    St J pd Port to SdC 2012, 2013, 2016
    Finisterre and Muxia 2012, 2016
    VdlP 2015 Mérida to SdC
    Home to Jerusalem 2014
    Home to Walsingham April 2017
    VF Besançon to Rome Summer 2017?
    I never found it necessary to carry food (other than chocolate :D ) on the CF, unless it's for breakfast if you leave very early in the morning when everything is still shut.... There are plenty of small shops where you can buy food or cafes where you can order tostadas or bocadillos....

Buen camino :)

Edited: This is valid for a Summer Camino francés (July/August) when everything is open.....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    FamPed, SabineP and Coleen Clark like this.
  10. trecile

trecile Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances August - September(2016)
    July - August (2017) - Camino Frances to Leon, Salvador to Oviedo, Primitivo to Santiago and beyond...
    The most food I ever carried was an orange and a chocolate bar.

FamPed and Coleen Clark like this.
  11. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Enjoying the outdoors since 1957

45 miles northwest of downtown Los(t) Angeles
    Camino(s) past & future:
    My wife, brother-in-law and I will walk it in the fall of (2019)
    Mike (and others),

Is the jamón y queso bocadillo always made with jamón iberico -- the stuff that is cured and not cooked? We spent nearly a month in southern Spain a few years back. I found that my system simply could not handle the jamón iberico -- far too oily.

Mike Savage likes this.
  12. Bradypus

Bradypus Antediluvian

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (1990, 2002 and 2016). Camino Ingles (2015). Camino Primitivo (2015). Canterbury to Rome (2015). Camino Portugues (2016). Sundsvall-Trondheim Olavsleden (May 2016). Camino Sanabres (2017). Swansea to Santiago in several stages over 25 years!
    Very rarely would jamon iberico be used in a mixed sandwich - jamon iberico is an expensive premium product. Much more likely to be a basic jamon serrano. Neither would be cooked though. The pale pink cooked stuff which is more familiar to we Brits and possibly Americans would be jamon York.

13. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF:
    First time in 2013.
    I'm assuming you mean when you are not eating in cafes or restaurants.
    For the trail/road I liked to snack on dark chocolate, peanuts, energy bars and sometimes those digestive biscuits that come in a sleeve type package (I gave one full sleeve to a disheveled looking pilgrim walking in the opposite direction. He said his girlfriend took all his money and he was trying to walk back to get home and was hungry o_O ).
    You will find meals and or food to buy all over the CF.
    ultreia

Camino Chris, Charles Zammit and Jozi like this.
  14. Bradypus

Bradypus Antediluvian

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (1990, 2002 and 2016). Camino Ingles (2015). Camino Primitivo (2015). Canterbury to Rome (2015). Camino Portugues (2016). Sundsvall-Trondheim Olavsleden (May 2016). Camino Sanabres (2017). Swansea to Santiago in several stages over 25 years!
    Now and again I want a change from the menu peregrino. I'm also pretty solitary by nature and just like to eat a picnic lunch alone sometimes. Very little is better than half a Spanish baguette, a tin of pulpo in oil, some fruit and a bottle of sidra natural. Just make sure you don't have to carry the bottle too far before lunch. And have a corkscrew handy. The rest of the time a couple of bars of chocolate and some biscuits as an emergency stash when energy levels drop is enough.

FamPed and dougfitz like this.
  15. m108

m108 Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2011 SJPDP to Burgos
    2013 Burgos to Astorga
    2014 Burgos to Astorga
    2015 Pamplona to Burgos
    2016 Salamanca - Astorga
    I'm up to now always walk in the summer. Plenty of fluids and lots of sweat - so I always had a piece of excellent Spanish chees - that make up salt. Even if it is just an excuse, appetizing - is great and give me energy

FamPed and Rachel from Seattle like this.
  16. Tia Valeria

Tia Valeria Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
    C. Inglés 2011
    C. Primitivo '12
    Norte-C. de la Reina '13
    C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
    General rations would be bread and jamon serrano/salami or similar and an apple/orange. We found bananas squashed to easily. This was for a snack if wanted during the day or eaten in the evening. We ate our main meal (menu del dia) at lunchtime.
    Emergency rations - for those times when we didn't find an open bar etc and neeed something to eat - was bread and a tin of sardines in tomato. The 'peel back the lid' type with a 'key' shown on the packet. Also the small size tins of peaches with the peel off lid. They usually come in packs of 3 so it was eat one, carry 2 and eat the second as soon as possible to lessen the weight, then carry the third for emergency food. :)
    We also have a few of those tiny packs of salt which come with some meals at UK service stations etc. If given them we keep any 'spares' for the Camino.

FamPed and dougfitz like this.
  17. mspath

mspath Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, autumn/winter; (2004), (2005-2006), (2007), (2008), (2009), (2010), (2011), (2012), (2013), (2014) (2015)
    Walking in late autumn/winter I always carried basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT have been open! There is NO reason it should be open especially out of season!

Food basics included tea bags, packets which made a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Nothing heavy but enough to exist for 24 hours if need be. On past caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims have often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food.

Of course I shared; hot soup, a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys. Next morning after the tea, cookies and chocolate for our common breakfast we would set out together. At the first open shop I would re-stock those basics and usually the other pilgrim would buy necessary provisions.

18. Davie Blisters

Davie Blisters Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances May 2016
    Muxia/Fisterre June 2016
    Portuguese May 2017
    All this talk of 'peel back tins', reminds me of when in France I used to buy little tins of what I thought was pate.
    I met a French couple who pointed out that I was in fact eating - dog food!
    Ahhh...the delicate pallete of the English!

19. Lynda t

Lynda t Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPP to Santiago May 2010
    Lisbon to Santiago May 2012
    Well, they have been tested and tasted by humans at the factory. You did make me laugh too.

20. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF:
    First time in 2013.
    what da heck?!
    They didn't even put a picture of a dog or cat on the label?

21. Bradypus

Bradypus Antediluvian

Camino(s) past & future:
    In the 1990s I was stationed in Germany for a short time with the British Army. One of the Army wives refused to shop anywhere other than the British NAAFI supermarket after an unfortunate mistake in a local shop where she mistook battered calamari for onion rings. Wouldn't have worried me but she was horrified :)

22. Jozi

Camino(s) past & future:
    M
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep it in mind

23. Jozi

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks Mike it sounds delicious, I will definitely try one

24. Jozi

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you everyone for your replies, I'm sure I won't starve but it is good to have a heads up.

Welly likes this.
  25. Mike Savage

Mike Savage mike-savage.com

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés
    Camino Inglés
    Muxia/Finisterre
    Português da Costa
    Português Central 2017
    Camino Sanabrés 2017
    Camino Inglés 2017
    On the Francés every time I had it it was serrano. I did see york offered a few times but I don't care for processed ham and always chose serrano.

Tia Valeria likes this.
  26. Tia Valeria

Camino(s) past & future:
    Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
    C. Inglés 2011
    C. Primitivo '12
    Norte-C. de la Reina '13
    C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
    For those concerned with weight. On a couple of occasions my pack felt overweight. When I checked out my shop receipt I realised that the stick of bread weighed 250gms and the apple weighed the same! After that we bought the bocadillo size bread and I ate half the apple before putting it in my pack. ;)
    Something about the straw and the camel's back came to mind :)

dougfitz likes this.
  27. tillyjones

tillyjones Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2015
    Planning VDLP for May 2017
    Food is heavy!

Camino Chris likes this.
  28. Camino Chris

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (April/May 2017)
    I often stopped at a tienda to purchase food for a picnic lunch. In addition to chocolate, nuts and fruit, it always included fixins for a bocadilla...bread, cheese, and some kind of meat. It always seemed the meats tasted a little funky (aka foul, rancid) so eventually I skipped the meat and went with just cheese and olives instead. Anyone else have this experience with cheap Spanish prepackaged meats? :p

29. Bradypus

Bradypus Antediluvian

Camino(s) past & future:
    My friend @andy.d was given a huge bag of biscuits as a parting gift by some nuns on the Camino Levante. At least 1kg. He promptly scoffed most of them minutes after leaving. When his wife suggested he was a glutton we both pointed out that food carried internally seems to weigh much less than food in your pack :)

FamPed, tillyjones and dougfitz like this.
  30. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual.
    Not me. I find you can get a good deal in the 1€ packages of cold cuts/ham. Another good deal for meals in albergues are frozen lazagnas on oferta or slices of pork.

Bradypus likes this.
  31. Camino Chris

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes, I often purchased the 1euro meats too, in the tiendas. Maybe being from the USA, those meats just taste different, something I'm not used to.

32. Anemone del Camino

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual.
    They probably have less fillers and chemicals in Spain :rolleyes:.

FamPed, SabineP and Camino Chris like this.
  33. Tia Valeria

Camino(s) past & future:
    Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
    C. Inglés 2011
    C. Primitivo '12
    Norte-C. de la Reina '13
    C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
    The 1€ jamon serrano and salami/chorizo kept well and always tasted OK and would keep overnight for next day. We never buy the 'plastic' ham - ie the square reconstituted type. :)
    The small tins of sardines however can travel for days/weeks and have been known to come home with us.

34. Camino Chris

Camino(s) past & future:
    Nice to know the meat can stay fresh overnight. Yes, I never purchased the cheap water added ham either and I avoid it at home, too.

Tia Valeria likes this.
  35. Anemone del Camino

Camino(s) past & future:
    Cured meats have so much salt in them, and some like chorizo also so much fat as well, that they do well exposed to air. In fact, serrano and chorizo live out in open air, not in the fridge. When I buy chorizo I always hang it the kitchen so it keeps drying. Dogs love finding small drops of its fat on the kitchen floor! Blocks of serrano live on the counter with a cloth over them.

36. Tia Valeria

Camino(s) past & future:
    Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
    C. Inglés 2011
    C. Primitivo '12
    Norte-C. de la Reina '13
    C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
    We prefer the fresh sliced meat but in our packs prefer the 1€ sealed packs. No greasy marks etc.

37. Jeff Crawley

Jeff Crawley Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from SJPP to SdC (2001)
    Hospitalero at Rabanal del Camino (2002)
    Camino Frances from SJPP to SdC (2003)
    Camino Frances from Pamplona to SdC(2012)
    Camino Portuguese from Porto to SdC (2015)
    Camino Frances, Pamplona to SdC - (Aug - Sept 2016)
    Camino Ingles (May 2017?)
    Have you heard the urban myth about Gerber baby food not selling in Africa because it had a picture of a baby on the label?

38. Jeff Crawley

Jeff Crawley Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from SJPP to SdC (2001)
    Hospitalero at Rabanal del Camino (2002)
    Camino Frances from SJPP to SdC (2003)
    Camino Frances from Pamplona to SdC(2012)
    Camino Portuguese from Porto to SdC (2015)
    Camino Frances, Pamplona to SdC - (Aug - Sept 2016)
    Camino Ingles (May 2017?)
    While it's true you can find food ion most places along the camino there are problems in some places. For instance there's just the one small bar in San Juan de Ortega and the only place to buy food before then is in Villafranca Montes de Oca and I think the shop there doesn't open until 10am. Roncesvalles can be a pain if you arrive late.
    I always carry a tin of sardines, some crackers and trail mix for emergencies. Look out for Frutos y Secos in larger towns for nuts, dried fruits to make your own "trail mix".
    Also a Lock & Lock tumbler to prevent a fresh tomato or nectarine from getting pulped.
    Bars will always wrap a bocadillo in foil for you to take away.

Davie Blisters likes this.
  39. Maureen McGovern

Maureen McGovern New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Future, September 2016
    I am not a snacker but always bought fresh fruit in the evening to eat on the way to breakfast. We always walked to breakfast usually about 5klms. We found we only ate breakfast and then an early dinner. Mostly ate the Pilgrim menu 3 courses.

40. Davey Boyd

Davey Boyd Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2015 Geneva - Santiago via the San Salvador and Primitivo
    2015 SJPdP - Santiago and Finisterra
    2016 Camino Frances - Finisterra - Muxia via San Salvador/Primitivo then back to SJPdP (in winter)
    2017 VDLP April 5th
    All good suggestions above. I also always carry a pot noodle type thing. Easily available, very light and cheap. If you buy a drink at a bar they will always fill up your pot noodle with hot water using the coffee machine if you ask nicely. Good for when its cold and raining and the bar sells no hot food.

Carrying chocolate makes you lots of friends! It also reminds me of the time three of us got lost up on the Alto Pradella after Villafranca. It was 2015 just after the huge forest fire that had happened up there. Unfortunately the wooden marker posts had burnt down and we could not find our way down to Trabadelo for a while. Hungry the three of us stopped to share and eat our rations from our packs. All three of us had nothing but a vast amount of chocolate, including a jar of Nutella. We were dipping slabs of chocolate bars into the Nutella. Yum! We could of ran to Trabedelo afterwards! (If we knew how to get there)! Lucky I was carrying beer as usual too! Happy days