• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day pack questions

Time of past OR future Camino
Inglese 2021
CF started 22022
I'm going to walk the Camino Ingles this August, and I am thinking of using a day pack. I'll be staying in private rooms because of Covid-19 and to ease my wife's as well my concerns. I don't want to get that again... I am also thinking of shipping my bags ahead and just using my Osprey Stratos 24 for the day to day walks.

I have a few questions for those of you who have done this.

Do you have any preference of luggage transfer services?

This may sound silly but for luggage transfer have any of you sent a head traditional luggage like a small rolling weekender suitcase

Is a 24 liter day pack sufficient in size? I will be carrying water a rain jacket, some extra socks, sandals, snack(s) water, some sundries, a small interchangeable lens camera and my Kindle.

For those of you who use and have the same backpack have you taken it as a carry on and placed it under your seat?

Thanks in advance, Bill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This may sound silly but for luggage transfer have any of you sent a head traditional luggage like a small rolling weekender suitcase
Nothing silly about it. It seems very practical to me. It seems sillier to have a backpack transported. Why bring the backpack if you have no intention of carrying it on your back? A small wheeled bag is more practical when traveling through airports than carrying two backpacks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm going to walk the Camino Ingles this August, and I am thinking of using a day pack. I'll be staying in private rooms because of Covid-19 and to ease my wife's as well my concerns. I don't want to get that again... I am also thinking of shipping my bags ahead and just using my Osprey Stratos 24 for the day to day walks.

Is a 24 liter day pack sufficient in size? I will be carrying water a rain jacket, some extra socks, sandals, snack(s) water, some sundries, a small interchangeable lens camera and my Kindle.

For those of you who use and have the same backpack have you taken it as a carry on and placed it under your seat?

Thanks in advance, Bill

Hello, Bill, and a warm welcome to the Forum.

Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a Camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

Your daypack needs to be able to carry ALL items that you do not want stolen, lost, or are indispensable. . Medications, equipment, first aid kit, valuables, etc. Think about what you absolutely must have on hand if the luggage is late to the party.

Take an equal volume and amount of stuff which would be about the same size and bulk of what you need to carry, put it into a bag and take it with you when shopping for daypacks. Whichever capacity of daypack can easily fit your gear is the size you need..

My guess is that the Stratos 24 will be sufficient. If not, you already know you like the Stratos, so you can purchase it in a new larger capacity.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

A 24L backpack is plenty big for those items. You can even get by with a smaller bag if you like. But, I would go with whatever is most comfortable.

Most of the bags waiting for pick up were back packs. We alternated...some days we packed our own other days we arranged a pick up. We felt more comfortable with transporting a pack in the event you need to haul it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks in advance, Bill
Excellent question. I was wondering about this myself. Travel case or backpack and the deciding factor was that I could lock my little suitcase much easier than I could lock my backpack. I got an Osprey 36 and was thinking I might take it back because it is too big for a day pack but as you say, carrying a few things with room for others that I might pick up, might be the way to go. Also it will be useful for other trips in the future.

I am travelling exactly as you are. Private accommodation and transporting my luggage. For me, it is the best way to go.

Nothing silly about it. It seems very practical to me. It seems sillier to have a backpack transported. Why bring the backpack if you have no intention of carrying it on your back? A small wheeled bag is more practical when traveling through airports than carrying two backpacks.
Thanks this is what I was thinking too!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regarding the size: you seem to already possess the backpack, why not try to fit the stuff you want to carry in it and go for a walk? If it fits, answer is yes, if not...

mandatory rant: way to heavy backpack for my liking ;-)
LOL yes it's what I have. I'll have to wait until the week end to try it out. but it does seem to fit what I want.

Hello, Bill, and a warm welcome to the Forum.

Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a Camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

Your daypack needs to be able to carry ALL items that you do not want stolen, lost, or are indispensable. . Medications, equipment, first aid kit, valuables, etc. Think about what you absolutely must have on hand if the luggage is late to the party.

Take an equal volume and amount of stuff which would be about the same size and bulk of what you need to carry, put it into a bag and take it with you when shopping for daypacks. Whichever capacity of daypack can easily fit your gear is the size you need..

My guess is that the Stratos 24 will be sufficient. If not, you already know you like the Stratos, so you can purchase it in a new larger capacity.
Thank you so much.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Excellent question. I was wondering about this myself. Travel case or backpack and the deciding factor was that I could lock my little suitcase much easier than I could lock my backpack. I got an Osprey 36 and was thinking I might take it back because it is too big for a day pack but as you say, carrying a few things with room for others that I might pick up, might be the way to go. Also it will be useful for other trips in the future.

I am travelling exactly as you are. Private accommodation and transporting my luggage. For me, it is the best way to go.
Like wise. The idea of having a lockable case really appeals to me for doing this. Having a room already booked means I'll have a bit more time to take each day. part of me still wants a bit more room but i know if I do that I'll just end up carrying more.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For the last 3 caminos I had to use luggage transport as I have a shoulder injury and I can't carry weigh for long time.
The best solution I've found is to have my osprey exos with me with al things I'll need for the day and send a bag with everything else. The big advantage is I travel with my backpack, with a folded bag inside. Also during the day is good to walk with a good and confortable backpack and not this daypacks that will be uncomfortable after a few hours.

Thanks in advance, Bill
I used Jacotrans from Roncesvalles to Santiago without a single problem. This time, my daypack is slightly more substantial than what I used in 2019. This fall I'll be taking the Gregory Maya 16; I like all the adjustments I can make & it is very comfortable for me. I'm wondering why you need your Kindle in your daypack (unless you are thinking of the plane ride)? I took one, but had it sent forward in my pack for evening reading. Your 24L is really more than you'll need for a daypack, so you are fine in that regard. I took rain gear (in a 2gal ziplock bag), extra socks, small first aide stuff in a sandwich bag, fleece jacket & gloves as the temps cooled. Extra tips for my poles. Water & snacks. I'm stuffing my daypack into the pack/bag I'll be sending forward so I don't have to check my bag on the plane on my way to Spain. I do check it on my way home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For the last 3 caminos I had to use luggage transport as I have a shoulder injury and I can't carry weigh for long time.
The best solution I've found is to have my osprey exos with me with al things I'll need for the day and send a bag with everything else. The big advantage is I travel with my backpack, with a folded bag inside. Also during the day is good to walk with a good and confortable backpack and not this daypacks that will be uncomfortable after a few hours.
Thank you. That is what i like about the Osprey Stratos as well, to be comfortable on a hike.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Jacotrans from Roncesvalles to Santiago without a single problem. This time, my daypack is slightly more substantial than what I used in 2019. This fall I'll be taking the Gregory Maya 16; I like all the adjustments I can make & it is very comfortable for me. I'm wondering why you need your Kindle in your daypack (unless you are thinking of the plane ride)? I took one, but had it sent forward in my pack for evening reading. Your 24L is really more than you'll need for a daypack, so you are fine in that regard. I took rain gear (in a 2gal ziplock bag), extra socks, small first aide stuff in a sandwich bag, fleece jacket & gloves as the temps cooled. Extra tips for my poles. Water & snacks. I'm stuffing my daypack into the pack/bag I'll be sending forward so I don't have to check my bag on the plane on my way to Spain. I do check it on my way home.
Thanks for recommendation on Jacotrans, and the description of what you take in your daypack I checked Jacotrans out, and they don't provide services on the Camino Ingles. I did get a few other recommendations, so I'm looking into them as well. As far as the Kindle goes it's tiny and yes I'll have it for the plane.

We have both transported our luggage and also carried everything. When we had to transport we used a 24 inch roller suitcase. You can go a bit larger if need be on the case. Lots of folks use them. Do what is best for you!
The companies usually limit the case weight to around 15 KG. I like Correos. If you are sending your belongings ahead do you need as much as a 24liter daypack? Hope at least half of it is empty. 😀. Have a great camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I discovered the Spanish mail system to transport my bag. Correo. They transport for about 5 euros, much cheaper than the others I used. You can do it all on line.
Betsy but when you transport your bag from were you are it gets there to your next accommodation by lunch time? So that when you get there tired you find your bag? And the correo send it no problem to your hotel or private albergue? Your next Albergue accepts the bag without a problem?

Betsy but when you transport your bag from were you are it gets there to your next accommodation by lunch time? So that when you get there tired you find your bag? And the correo send it no problem to your hotel or private albergue? Your next Albergue accepts the bag without a problem?
Most oft he companies in the past have asked that your bag is ready to go by 8am and it is normally delivered by circa 2pm. It depends upon how many bags they are transporting and where your accommodations are in that line of delivery. Many bags are delivered earlier than 2pm.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most oft he companies in the past have asked that your bag is ready to go by 8am and it is normally delivered by circa 2pm. It depends upon how many bags they are transporting and where your accommodations are in that line of delivery. Many bags are delivered earlier than 2pm.
The pilgrim need to be there to hand the bag?

I would think a 24L would be more than enough as a day pack.

I have had to use baggage transfer in the past, and used a Nylon Laundry bag!

Here is a van being loaded in Carrion......

All kinds of bags!

2018-05-16 12.25.20.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No, each place has its own designated spot where you leave and pick up the bag. You do not need to be there. You just leave the bag with appropriate label attached…and also the euros in an envelope on the bag, or if you pay on- line then just the label with where it is to be delivered. The accommodations usually have them.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.