• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Daypack for short person with short back!

kelyjt

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi
I am looking for a 18l daypack with an airflow/air zone system that fits someone 5ft 2 with a short back!

I have just tried the Lowe Alpine Airzine ZND 18 and it doesn’t fit! When I fit the belt strap around my hips, the shoulder straps don’t sit on my shoulders … there is a 2’inch gap even after adjusting all straps. It does not have an adjustable Back section as It has an air zone system.

Really hoping someone can help recommend something that will work for me !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe expand your search to include packs with a bit larger capacity, so you will have more to choose from. Some excess capacity is not a problem as long as you don't fill it. I would happily use my Osprey Talon 33 as a day pack, cinching in the straps appropriately. Some packs (including mine) have adjustable back length, but you need to know how to adjust it by reaching into the panel.

I did have an adjustable back womens lowe alpine (I am 5'3) but in a larger volume in 35litres, it had an adjustable back as well as that air zone. Currently I have an Osprey Talon 33l. But its probably trying on a few to get one that is comfy, as there were several I instantly found uncomfortable (like deuter) and others that were okayish. And sometimes it's worth getting a larger pack if it fits better.
Then again I have a friend who resorted to a kids rucksack to get a better fit at 5ft.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Go to any REI. The people who work in their backpack department are excellent in helping you find a pack that fits. Plus, you can try on a variety of bags. If you're not in U.S. , try any large outdoor store.

Take a look at the Gobi Gear Free Spirit Pack. It may not have all the perks on the list but it does fit and, as long as it is not being used to carry 40 lb of rocks, it is a contender. The price alone, makes it worth a look.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe expand your search to include packs with a bit larger capacity, so you will have more to choose from. Some excess capacity is not a problem as long as you don't fill it. I would happily use my Osprey Talon 33 as a day pack, cinching in the straps appropriately. Some packs (including mine) have adjustable back length, but you need to know how to adjust it by reaching into the panel.
You may also want to check the Osprey Tempest 24. I’m short (5’2”) with a short torso also, and this one in small fits well. It has the airflow system.

I am also quite petite (5’3”) and am planning on using the woman’s Osprey Talon Pro28 (which is 26L in the woman’s xs/s size). Fits me very well and is decently light weight (2.18lb) with a great airflow system. My husband and I have 10 days planned on the CF and I’m finding I have more than enough room to carry what I need. On beginning training walks, it also served fine as a daypack with water, extra layer, snacks, etc.

We found watching the sizing video at www.osprey.com a real help to us. Our first trip to a very well know outdoor equipment store left us very frustrated. The staff appeared to know what they were talking about, but in the end kept suggesting the wrong size. With a little self-knowledge a trip to the store or buying online becomes much easier. Good luck! Bag fit for the Camino is very important.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
I am looking for a 18l daypack with an airflow/air zone system that fits someone 5ft 2 with a short back!

I have just tried the Lowe Alpine Airzine ZND 18 and it doesn’t fit! When I fit the belt strap around my hips, the shoulder straps don’t sit on my shoulders … there is a 2’inch gap even after adjusting all straps. It does not have an adjustable Back section as It has an air zone system.

Try looking at Osprey’s “kids” size packs. The back is usually adjustable with Velcro attachment. You can adjust the back to whatever length you need. I’m (generously) 5’ 0” and backpack with one. I also use a Deuter 28 liter for a day pack now and that is what I plan to use on the Camino this fall.

Hi

I have same problem. Osprey Sirrus 24l works well. Has airflow back and is length adjustable.

Go to any REI. The people who work in their backpack department are excellent in helping you find a pack that fits. Plus, you can try on a variety of bags. If you're not in U.S. , try any large outdoor store.
I agree, there's nothing like trying it on. Personally, I will recommend the Greggory Miwok. Both the 12L and 18L seem great....depends on your capacity need.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi

Try a cycling pack? I use a Vaude 14+3 pack that sits much higher on my back because I don't want anything on my hips.

I'm 5'3" and found Osprey and other packs very uncomfortable, and I think I tried them all! Finally someone suggested a Deuter 28L because he said I was exceptionally short from armpit to waist but the Deuter would work for me as the back was adjustable. I was unsure but he was quite right, and I ended up loving it, it was so comfortable. Another advantage with the Deuter is that it sat high on my back, so kept the sun off my neck, as well as having good airflow.

Deuter also make daypacks, so it's a brand worth investigating.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.