• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Days from Leon to Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can see some suggested stages on the Gronze website.

What is your pace when walking with backpack?
How much do you want to rest during the walk (lunch/rest etc)?
How long days do you want to have door to door?
Do you want any rest days?

The distance is 308 km from León to SdC. the number of available accommodations and their distance is also a factor.

The “normal” is around 13-14 days. Average around 22 km/day and if you walk for example 4 km/h with a 1 h lunch you will be out just under 7 h/day. Will that fit you? Some stretches might have shorter between accommodations and some might be longer so use Gronze or other site to see where you will have suitable stops for your daily max distance. You can also test a planner like https://planificador.pilgrim.es/en/...egime=1&services=3,12&origin=NEW_PLANIFICADOR

I have walked this section of the Frances several times, the first when I was 54, the last when I was 64. Each time I did it in 10 days:

Hospital de Orbigo;
Rabanal:
Ponferrada:
Villafranca;
O Cebreiro;
Sarria;
Portomarin;
Palas de Rei;
Arzua;
SdC.

Not sure that I could do it now!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have walked this section of the Frances several times, the first when I was 54, the last when I was 64. Each time I did it in 10 days:

Hospital de Orbigo;
Rabanal:
Ponferrada:
Villafranca;
O Cebreiro;
Sarria;
Portomarin;
Palas de Rei;
Arzua;
SdC.

A good itinerary. I would maybe add a stop between Rabanal and Ponferrada to break up that downhill section. And then stay in Herrerias right before O Cebreiro to shorten that climbing day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It is 318 kilometers according to godesalco. One person said they did it in 10 days. That is obviously 31.8k a day average. Another said they did it in 13 days - 24.5k per day.
Beatrice hit the nail on the head with these questions. You have walked already so you can probably answer these questions without a problem. You also know you never know what may happen. An injury, or illness or a change in how far or fast you want to walk.
Basically you never know what awaits. Each person's distance and speed is what is right for them. For some 10 is reasonable, others 14 is reasonable. If you have the luxury of a little more time take more time to get home. It gives you an opportunity to be flexible. If you arrive early you can spend a few days in Santiago and always hop on a bus and go to Muxia or Finestere or both. One person's reasonable is another's snail pace and still another person's racing. Just go and listen to your body and get there in the right amount of time for you. (If you have the time, that is).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2014, at age 68, friends and I did it in 19 days, but stayed 2 days each in Astorga and Sarria for sightseeing . . . so a total of 17 days walking, an average of 11.5 miles/day. Longest day was Leon to Villavente (18 miles); shortest day was Vega de Valcarce to O Cebreiro (7 miles uphill). Hardly a sprint, and included time for rest stops and lunch.

10 days is common (especially for many people coming to the end of a longer camino i.e. Pretty fit by that stage), however there is quite a bit of altitude to negociate, so I’ve always taken 12 days ~ Leon, Hospital de Orbigo, Astorga, Foncebadon, Molinaseca or Ponferrada, Villafranca del Bierzo, La Faba, Triacastela, Sarria, Portomarin, Arzua, O’Pedrouso, Santiago.

Many thanks @aidan macdhorcaidh for your question as I too am planning my walk from Leon to Santiago. Last year I did the Camino Frances from SJPP to Leon. I set out at 10:00 am from SJPP on Wednesday, September 28th and arrived at Borda around 2:30pm. My rest days were in Pamplona and Castrojeriz. (I wish I had taken an extra day in Nájera, a lovely town.)

I took my time, usually setting out around 9 am and stopping for the day around 2 pm or earlier. I really enjoyed every single step of the way. I arrived at Leon the afternoon of Monday, October 31st. Any advice on planning my second half would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to identify at least three or four places that would be best for my rest days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My son and I took 14 days to get from Leon to Santiago, although one of those was a rest day in Astorga, so only 13 days walking. Our itinerary was Leon, San Martin del Camino, Astorga, Rabanal del Camino, Riego de Ambros, Camponaraya, Trabadelo, O Cebreiro, Triacastela, Barbadelo, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Ribadiso da Baixo, O Pedrouzo, Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How many days does it take from Leon to Santiago......at a steady pave
Walked it 5x. Took 9 or 10 days depending, but I never did a steady pace. Severe Achilles tendonitis slowed me for a couple days once. Got food poisoning last time. Bad colds a couple other times. I stop a lot to socialize and also to eat multiple breakfasts and lunches and afternoon drinks/snacks. Sometimes there are side trips just to see something different or try a variant. I go down hills lots faster than up...and there are a lot of hills on that route. Good for you if you can or even want to keep a steady pace.

The distance is 308 km from León to SdC. the number of available accommodations and their distance is also a factor.

The “normal” is around 13-14 days. Average around 22 km/day and if you walk for example 4 km/h with a 1 h lunch you will be out just under 7 h/day. Will that fit you? Some stretches might have shorter between accommodations and some might be longer so use Gronze or other site to see where you will have suitable stops for your daily max distance. You can also test a planner like https://planificador.pilgrim.es/en/...egime=1&services=3,12&origin=NEW_PLANIFICADOR
I looked at the planificador

I looked at the planner site and I do not understand the difference between a private hostel vs a guesthouse/hostel.

In 2018, at age 69, I took 12 days:
San Martin del Camino; Astorga; Foncebadón; Ponferrada; Pereje; Liñares; Samos; Ferreiros; Ligonde; Boente; A Lavacolla; Santiago de Compostela.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I looked at the planner site and I do not understand the difference between a private hostel vs a guesthouse/hostel.
In general, the difference is that a hostel has dorms.

One thing to keep in mind is that "hostal" in Spain is not the same as "hostel". The Spanish word for "hostel" is "albergue". These may be municipal, parochial, run by Camino organizations, or private. The private ones may or may not accept non-pilgrims. They are generally dormitories, although some private albergues offer private rooms.

There are a number of different types of hotels. "Hostal" is one of them. I would also include "casa rural" as another. A "casa rural" is like a bed and breakfast. Like a hotel and generally unlike a hostel, you will have a private room, linens, etc.

Where it gets a little grey is that some hotels have albergues attached. Two that come to mind are Hotel Jakue in Puenta la Reina and Hotel San Anton Abad in Villafranca Montes de Oca.

I assume they differentiate between albergues ran by church/municipality/xunta etc and private options. Where the former at least in the old days didn’t take any reservations but the private does in most cases.

I see that a lot of people have answered what it takes for them to walk from León to SdC and my answer without taking any consideration to you and just look at my self then the answer is 7-8 days. So asking me is not a good thing for most people I have learned the hard way here :)

Another bunch of question you can ask your self os how many days can you be away. Is there any sites you really want to visit, any detours that looks nice. Having some extra days in the plan is always good to have. On my first camino I ended up in SdC 10 days before my flight home so I walked out to Finisterre, Muxía and back to SdC but still some days to kill so I went to Ferrol and walked Camino Inglés back to Santiago again. There will always be things to do if you plan for some extra time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How many days does it take from Leon to Santiago......at a steady pave

In October my steady pace (complete with tummy bug) gave me these stages.

01 Leon to Hospital ...
02 Hospital ... to Astorga - short stage - developed tummy bug
03 Astorga to Ponferrada by bus
04 Ponferrada to Cacabelos - short stage
05 Cacabelos to La Faba (almost the end of their season)
06 La Faba to Samos
07 Samos to Portomarin
08 Portomarin to Melide
09 Melide to Salceda (casa Rural albergue)
10 Salceda to Compostela

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going as you wont)

Hospital de Orbigo;
Rabanal:
Ponferrada:
Villafranca;
O Cebreiro;
Sarria;
Portomarin;
Palas de Rei;
Arzua;
SdC.

Sure you could....I did Leon to Santiago in 12 days a couple of weeks ago. I am 74 and not a walker. My max rate was 4km per hour but this improved as I got fitter....weather was superb blue skies for days 1-7 then it rained. The key is....as usual...travel light...First two weeks of March is a great time to do it....no crowds and many albergues are opening. It was great. Only problem.....someone has decided to put the distance to Santiago to three decimal places every few hundred metres....Like watching the clock going slow...No doubt EU dough to spend.....yellow arrows great....but not the distance so frequently....

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back