• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Days Off

Michael McGlynn

Mike Mc
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2020)
When taking a day off from walking, can you stay in the same albergue as you were the night before? And if you want to walk around the town, is it safe to leave your backpack on your bed in the albergue?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When taking a day off from walking, can you stay in the same albergue as you were the night before? And if you want to walk around the town, is it safe to leave your backpack on your bed in the albergue?

Often it is easier to stay 2 nights in a private albergue than in a municipal one. However in winter when fewer pilgrims are seeking a bunk municipal albergues will also allow you to stay. You often can leave your backpack in a storage room out of view of everyone. Never leave your national passport, camera or money in the pack but take them with you for the day.
During bad winter storms when walking would be dangerous I have stayed with no problem for several nights in the same albergue.

Last edited:
Some albergue's will let you stay a second night, especially the private ones, but the municipals ones usually won't ... and especially not during the busy season. Ask on arrival.

And never, ever put your backpack on the bed. Your backpack has been to filthy places ... you've set it on the ground while resting, you've set it on the floor in a wide variety of places ... and you increase the chances of transporting bedbugs.

You'll notice that everyone leaves their backpacks in the albergue while wandering around town. Don't leave valuables in it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Private albergues seemed OK with a extra night. Bring important things(cash, credit card, passport and credential )with You Then will be all fine. I Don't think anyone wants to carry your backpack for you Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Michael:

Never understood days off, unless injured. If you need a little break, get a leisurely start and just walk a short day. This is easily done on the Frances and eliminates the need to stay in the same Albergue.

I recommend you never leave pack on your bed.

Ultreya,
Joe

Some will let you stay, some won't. Some have storage, some don't.
In the big Burgos Municipal, for example, they let you put your pack in a storage place, but you must be out and stay out until the doors open as usual in the afternoon - and then just queue up for a place with everyone else. So in a case like that, take all your remotely valuable stuff with you for the day, and before a late lunch, come back to claim your new place, and leave your pack as usual. Then enjoy the afternoon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And never, ever put your backpack on the bed. Your backpack has been to filthy places ... you've set it on the ground while resting, you've set it on the floor in a wide variety of places ... and you increase the chances of transporting bedbugs.
- In fact, if you bring a short strap or piece of cord, tie rucksack to one of the posts in either end of the bed, so as to lift it from the floor. In this way it is also out of the way so as no one trips over it in the night ...

Michael:

Never understood days off, unless injured. If you need a little break, get a leisurely start and just walk a short day. This is easily done on the Frances and eliminates the need to stay in the same Albergue.

Ultreya,
Joe
But Joe, some of us like to explore and see the beautiful wonders in some cities. One must stop and smell the roses.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Please no pack on your bed. If I know I will take a day off I will go to a private Albergue and ask about storage. Take my money belt and relax. Someone else suggested a short day. I have done Teo short days, about 15k each and that works great too.

Michael:

Ultreya,
Joe

There are many good reasons for taking days off. Burgos is a good example. There is no way you can see the Cathedral and visit the site by bus at Atapuerca in one day. Leon is another example. Pamplona is a third. All of those places are great times to spend 2-3 days exploring. Don't rush. There's no reason to rush along the Camino. Everyplace before the last 100 kilometers is not required anyway. If you spend the time to go to Spain, SEE it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back