A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

de Ourense a Santiago de Compostela

2020 Camino Guides

jeploss

I am doing this in five days next month. I have used http://www.Godesalco.com site to define my stages:
Oseira, A Laxe, Banderia, Ponte Ulla and Santiago. The first two days will be long (31 and 29 km).
Arturo of Godesalco indicated there are hotels in each of these places, but I cannot find any information about them. Perhaps they are just too small. Does anyone know anything about them or how I could get their names and phone numbers?

Also, I'll be staying in a hotel in Ourense after all day on the train from Bilbao. I want a hotel near an albergue so it will be easy to get my credential stamped. Any ideas?

Sometimes VdlP is defined as this being the ending section, and sometimes it leaves this out, defining it as joining up with the Camino Frances. Does this segment have another name?

Thanks again to all the veteran posters: Sil, Annie, Lynne, Johnnie Walker, Rebekah and Falcon. You have added so much to the quality and enjoyment of my Camino. I'll be thinking of all of you along the way and drawing strength from you during the challenging parts.

Janet

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
Hi Janet,

you can see where I stayed last autumn here:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/stages/

The places I stayed in from Ourense were all fine. I'm afraid I don't have phone numbers. It is fine to get sellos from hotels, restaurants, town halls or the police - it doesn't need to be an albergue. I think you will need two a day if you are doing that distance. There are albergues at Oseira and Laxe. Also at O Outreira, a little beyond Ponte Ulla. Bandeira had a lot of hostals and hotels.

I hope it goes well,

Andy

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, Janet,
If you go to mundicamino's website, click on "Camino Sanabres" -- that's the name commonly used to refer to the part of the Via de la Plata from north of Zamora where it splits. You then choose to go to Astorga and merge with the Frances or stay off the Frances and go through Ourense.

The "hospedajes" button for each stage will pull up information for lodging.

Stages 12-15 shows private accommodations available in Silleda, A Bandeira, and Ponte Ulla. Not all the places you're looking for, but it's a start.

I think maybe the only options at the other places are the albergues (the mundicamino site also lists albergues, so you can check out what's available for the whole Ourense to Santiago segment).

Buen camino, Laurie

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
I loved the Sanabres. There were plenty of beds in the albergues,and it was beautiful walking. We had already walked the Frances in a previous camino so wanted to experience an entirely new Way.

I just checked the elevations on mundicamino - I sure remember the descent into and out of Ponte Ulla a lot steeper than it really is! It's remarkable how our memories differ so much from fact sometimes! We stayed at O Outreira and we really enjoyed the views and the quiet.

Buen camino.

lynne

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Hi Janet,

This page http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... /sanabres/ contains details of the stages (interactive maps, profiles, places of interest etc) as well as contact information for the Albergues on route. Stages 10-13 cover Ourense to Santiago.

Note that there are two routes out of Ourense towards Cea both of which have a steep climb (19%) at the start. 31km including the climb could be a big ask for your first day but obviously that depends on your fitness levels at the time you start off. There is also an Albergue at Cea, 22 km approx. from Ourense.

If you're interested, this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=necnhZWQVJQ contains images from the Ourense to Santiago stages (1min 15 sec onwards).

Buen Camino
Mig

jeploss

Thank you all for your responses. Based on your input, I decided to take six instead of five days to do this. Andy, I read your stages, and they just are much better. When someone mentioned it's quite a climb out of Ourense, and then the last 10 km to Oseira are also uphill...I don't think I'm up for this.
I want to set myself up for success. I'd rather have one more day walking and one less day in Santiago!
Thanks, again.

Janet

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Levante 2009
Janet,

I forgot to say that I had the short day into Oseira because I stayed at the Monastery there for a few days. There is also an albergue beyond Oseira at Castro Dozon. Many people walked from Cea to Castro, and then on to Laxe the next day. Both alternatives are quite possible.

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Andy -

What's the albergue like at Castro Dozon now? Last time we were there, there wasn't much, but I've heard it's been fixed up.

lynne

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Levante 2009
lynnejohn said:
Andy -

What's the albergue like at Castro Dozon now? Last time we were there, there wasn't much, but I've heard it's been fixed up.

lynne
I didn't stay in Castro - just a stop for cafe and refresco and bocadillo in the bar there. I talked to pilgrims in Laxe who had stayed there. I remember them saying it had heating and was fine.

Andy

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
´What´s the albergue like in Castro Dozon?´

I stayed in Castro Dozon early December, 2009. It is on the outskirts of the village as one leaves. The albergue is modern and pleasing to the eye. It has two sleeping dorms -each with heating/airconditioning, 2 bathrooms with hot water and toilets for both the senors and senoras, and there is a kitchen/communal room with tables and heating/airconditioning. The facilities are bright with lots of natural light flooding the communal area and a covered open-air accessway linking the cooking wing and the dorms opposite. This all sounds fine and fantastic for the spring and summer peregrino but proved drastic for the late autumn/winter peregrinas/os like myself. (See my entry re Castro Dozon on the forum Walking in Winter thread, ).

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic7253.html
Cheers, Lovingkindness

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 178 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 291 24.6%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 337 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock