• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Deafness/Deaf Pilgrims

• Thread starter Deleted member 9994
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9994

Hello, everyone!

I introduced myself in the intro forum but I'll introduce myself here too. I am graduating college next spring and after that, intend to walk the Camino. I am completely deaf, and I do not speak very well so I will remain mute and communicate using gestures and mime, or use pen and paper if necessary. I am fluent in American sign language, can sign passable French, and know a little bit of Italian sign, but that's it.

My friend did the Camino last winter. However, he isn't deaf, so my walk may present more challenges than his.

I am wondering if there are any parts of the Camino that could pose a problem for deaf pilgrims, such as sections that cut across busy roads and highways. I intend to stick with a group of people while crossing that type of obstacle for extra safety but I understand I can't always expect other pilgrims to be around when needed.

Because I was deaf from birth, I'm very used to working a little bit harder than other people to always be aware of my surroundings. However, a few months ago, I was hit by a car that was behind me, and had no idea it was approaching because it backed up so unexpectedly and quickly. I was extremely lucky to get off with just a sprained ankle, but the incident severely weakened my confidence in my ability to detect and avoid possible hazards and I'm a little more paranoid now, which is why I opened this thread.

Thanks very much, and hope to hear back from you guys! Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Ibex -

Two things come to mind - entering and exiting larger cities (Burgos, Leon, etc), and packs of bicigrinos. I think your plan to walk with others entering and exiting busy cities is a good idea.

The bike guys are great, but they travel in packs and can come up behind you very quickly. Even for hearing folks, it's dangerous as they don't always ring their bells or yell. The startle factor can cause you to lose your balance and trip. I don't know what the solution is; perhaps others have ideas. I have seen one or two pilgrims with a type of "rear-view mirror" attached to their hats. Often used by messenger cyclists and others.

You will meet many other peregrinos, and I think walking with others will make you quite comfortable and safe.

Best of luck with your planning and buen camino!

lynne

Hi Ibex,

I'm hearing but have worked with Deaf people in the UK for a long time. I walked the very quiet Camino de Levante last year, which I understand is very different to the Frances.

I met Spanish Deaf people twice: some older men in Zamora and a young couple in Santiago. I had no problem communicating with them in BSL, removing the English lip patterns.

But Deaf people are obviously few and far between. Can I suggest making some laminated cards with phrases you might need in English and Spanish on them. Particularly put that you are Deaf. I found that people along the way want to be helpful.

I wouldn't be overly worried about not hearing traffic. It should be possible mostly to face oncoming traffic and you are much more used to looking than hearing people.

If I can be of any more help, please contact me via the Private Message facility.

Let us know how you get on,

Andy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laminated cards are a great idea--I'd considered them but wasn't sure if that would be excessive.

The rear view mirror sounds like a funny idea (not in a bad way, though) but the less I carry on me, the better!

I feel as though maybe I ought to do the Frances as I have never done it before, but I'm still weighing the pros and cons. Thanks for your input, guys!

ibex..... I don't want to make light of your deafness in any way- but there is one big advantage you will enjoy- you won't hear any of the snorers-from-hell in busy albergues along the way!!!
Margaret

Hah! True that, true that. Though I most likely will end up sleeping outside most nights, to save money and so I can enjoy the night sky (presumably, if the stars are visible)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't mean to be insensitive, but am thinking of solutions. :oops: The really dangerous thing, to me also, might be the bici-grinos rather than any other traffic. They depend on their little bells to warn you and as mentioned, some do not use those.

I wonder if you might want to wear something BIG that they can SEE that states "Deaf Pilgrim" so they slow down and don't run you over??? Perhaps there is a Universal sign you can paint on your backpack? Just a thought.

In that same vein, what about making sure you are visible? You could wrap one of those fluorescent, lightweight construction-worker vests around your pack.

I wouldn't mind painting both the English and Spanish words for "DEAF PILGRIM" on my backpack. Not too ostentatious, yet perhaps effective. The fluroscent coloring is a good idea as well.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Having just returned from the Camino Frances, I would say Bikes will be the challenge, and mainly on the downhill parts. They have a tendency to let go of the brakes and make the runs at full speed. Having been an interpreter in ASL, I noticed a lot of gestures going on that are all pretty universal as to needs, and you should not have too much trouble in the way of communication. The laminated cards are a great idea. Though best to make sure that they are in Castilian and not latin Spanish. I noticed a number of North American's saying they could speak Spanish and it was Latin Spanish and not being understood.

Buen Camino!!!
Kim

Back