• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

dealing with photos

brkdn2

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francais, (2014 Aug.)
I was wondering about how to deal with downloading photos from micro sd cards to cd's. Can this be done at photo shops or drugstores along the way? I'm bringing my go pro and two cards with me ( a 64g and a 32g), but based on how beautiful Spain is I don't think that will be enough. I have cloud access but am worried i'll mess it up and lose photo's . I'd feel better writing over my media if I had a hard copy in my hands that I could hold on to or mail home ahead of time. I think a usb card reader is also been advised because most computers you run into don't have card readers built in. 17 days till departure I'm so excited.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We bought and carried extra cards. Kept the cards with our passports in a safe place. Also could lock the card when stored in case we did use it in a computer. We didn't upload as it happened or make CDs

I'm taking lots of SD cards, an iPad with wifi and backup to cloud.
SD reader for iPad, transfer to Dropbox using CameraSync app (handles RAW files and video), or Transfer app. Signing up for additional Dropbox space for a couple of months.
You should be able to get a used iPad 2 for a reasonable price. Other notebooks might work
Still, the cheapest and easiest is more SD cards.
I'm going to use folders on the SD, one for each day, and only delete when I have to. I can't recall if Gopro allows folders.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took a 32-gb and a 16-gb SD cards for my Canon and a card reader for my 32-gb wifi-only iPad (which I used primarily for email, reading ebooks, and journaling) had 16-gb of free space for downloading and saving. I wasn't able to fill the 32-gb card on our Camino from Pamplona to Santiago - and this included many videos requested by the wife. Next time, I plan to take just extra cards.

I really cant buy anymore cards, I got the ones I have on sale and more money spent now my be a missed octopus dinner later. Where would one look to put things on disc? Please forgive my there's not a walmart on every corner ? thinking. I haven't been out of the country in 26 years lol

You might find somewhere in the larger towns, I was not looking for that type of service so I can't comment but you could try Googling it for the larger towns. I did what most others have said above, I kept the SD cards and downloaded to a mini iPad, it was nice and light to carry and it worked really well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You won't find drugstores liked we have inn the US when you're in Spain. There are only farmacias, which are very helpful for health problems, but nothing else

I was wondering about how to deal with downloading photos from micro sd cards to cd's. Can this be done at photo shops or drugstores along the way? I'm bringing my go pro and two cards with me ( a 64g and a 32g), but based on how beautiful Spain is I don't think that will be enough. I have cloud access but am worried i'll mess it up and lose photo's . I'd feel better writing over my media if I had a hard copy in my hands that I could hold on to or mail home ahead of time. I think a usb card reader is also been advised because most computers you run into don't have card readers built in. 17 days till departure I'm so excited.

Practice uploading to your cloud storage before you even leave.
Bring a mini USB card reader for uploading photos on the albergue desktop computers to your cloud storage, do this on frequent basis as much as you can, don't be surprised if the connection is slow, If you wait too long between uploads, it''ll take forever to upload your files to the cloud.
It took several hours for my photos to back up to iCloud on my iPhone 5, I waited till I got to Burgos when I got a private hotel room. I sure wasn't going to leave my iPhone laying around the albergue while it was going through an iCloud backup!

Burgos is the place, I found a nice little copy place online looks like you can do just about anything. Thinking of a day off in Burgos, should be a good spot to relax, enjoy and take some pictures.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There is a good camera store in Burgos not far from the municipal albergue that might be able to do the download to a DVD for you. I will again follow the advice which worked well for me in 2011 and on all of my subsequent trips: take about 30GB of memory cards and keep them safe until you download them back at home. I will be sure to take cards no larger than 8GB because I lost all of my Quebec 'camino' pictures in July because the 16GB card corrupted. Fewer GBs on a memory card means fewer lost pictures if the card is lost or corrupted.

Marylynn, Do you still have the corrupt card? Depending on what the photos are worth to you, a data recovery service can probably recover your photos. I had a friend visiting from Germany last year who thought he had lost all of his photos and was able to have them recovered. It was a little pricey, but worth it to him.

Marylynn, Do you still have the corrupt card? Depending on what the photos are worth to you, a data recovery service can probably recover your photos. I had a friend visiting from Germany last year who thought he had lost all of his photos and was able to have them recovered. It was a little pricey, but worth it to him.

Yes, I still have the card, and I was planning to take it to a local camera store and hope for the best. And if nothing is recovered, then I guess it is a life lesson in Letting Go... :) Thanks for your suggestion!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back