• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dealing with sensitive skin on the CDS

mackkaren

Time of past OR future Camino
evvsds
I have a lot of questions, but for now I’ll keep it brief. I have sensitive skin and have to be careful about the types of products I use and touch - soap being a major one. For many years now I have been using a liquid soap when I shower specifically formulated for sensitive skin types. However, it comes in a big bottle and is therefore not practical to carry on the Camino. In the interest of weight and size my best bet would therefore be to carry a soap bar - the only trouble being that most conventional soap bars, even cheap/basic ones, can wreak havoc on my skin. Maybe this all sounds ridiculous, but the wrong product can lead to painful breakouts on my entire body that could even lead to me having to leave the Camino early (which I of course don’t want).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another option is to mail ahead some resupply for yourself.
I had to this on our last CF when 'she who must be obeyed' went through my hikers wool like it was growing on trees!
I had a resupply drop waiting for us 2 weeks ahead.

P.S. I have a similar issue with normal soap. I use 'goat soap'. No you don't need to drag a goat with you......it's made from goats milk. 1/2 a bar lasts me a whole Camino.

As a fellow sufferer of sensitive skin, what are you planning on using for handwashing?

I did a two week (non-Camino) walk in the UK last summer, and found that the sensitive washing powder I use without any problems in the washing machine at home turned my hands into a complete mess after a week of daily handwashing. I ended up rationing my 'safe' body wash so I could use it for handwashing as well during the second week.

Another option is to mail ahead some resupply for yourself.
I had to this on our last CF when 'she who must be obeyed' went through my hikers wool like it was growing on trees!
I had a resupply drop waiting for us 2 weeks ahead.
Did the same thing with some medical stuff I needed and would have been quite heavy to carry it all the way to SdC. Sent it forward with Correos which worked out fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a fellow sufferer of sensitive skin, what are you planning on using for handwashing?

I did a two week (non-Camino) walk in the UK last summer, and found that the sensitive washing powder I use without any problems in the washing machine at home turned my hands into a complete mess after a week of daily handwashing. I ended up rationing my 'safe' body wash so I could use it for handwashing as well during the second week.
My clothes washing method is perfect for you. I use a 12 Osprey liter dry bag as my portable washing machine. The dry bag only weighs 1.2 ounces/34 grams, and I use it to hold my sleeping gear. As I get into the shower I put my clothes in the dry bag along with a half a laundry detergent strip and partially fill with warm water. You could also use some liquid soap. Then I seal up the bag, and give it a few shakes before I set it aside while I shower and dress. I then take the bag full of water and clothes to the laundry sink area, and agitate it by shaking it a bit more before emptying it into the laundry sink. I then only have to give the clothes a quick rinse before squeezing out the water and hanging on the line. The detergent strip that I use make very few suds, and the clothes don't require a lot of rinsing. My clothes come out a lot cleaner without having to have my hands in soapy water than when I just washed them in the laundry sinks. I credit the long soaking time.

If you tell us the product you use, I can look up if it is widely available here in Spain ;-)

BC SY
I also have skin issues. At home I use Aloe Vera products - liquid soap, shampoo, etc. "Dr. Organic". Is this brand available in Portugal and/or Spain? Thanks so much.

I have a lot of questions, but for now I’ll keep it brief. I have sensitive skin and have to be careful about the types of products I use and touch - soap being a major one. For many years now I have been using a liquid soap when I shower specifically formulated for sensitive skin types. However, it comes in a big bottle and is therefore not practical to carry on the Camino. In the interest of weight and size my best bet would therefore be to carry a soap bar - the only trouble being that most conventional soap bars, even cheap/basic ones, can wreak havoc on my skin. Maybe this all sounds ridiculous, but the wrong product can lead to painful breakouts on my entire body that could even lead to me having to leave the Camino early (which I of course don’t want).

I appreciate the concerns that you have laid out, but I did not see a question in your post. What would you like to know?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A brand of soap called simple soap is very good because of allergies we use this for body hands and clothes washing. You can cut a bar in half or smaller to save on weight. The liquid version has additives such as linolool so try the bar of simple soap.

I also have skin issues. At home I use Aloe Vera products - liquid soap, shampoo, etc. "Dr. Organic". Is this brand available in Portugal and/or Spain? Thanks so much.

This particular brand, I am not sure, but organic aloe vera skincare products are widely available in Spain, mostly in pharmacies and 'healthy shops' like Naturhouse.
BC SY

PS No idea about Portugal ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.