• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dear Deer....Mishap on the Meseta.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I was now into the Meseta proper.
I’d just come over a hilltop and was dropping into a valley.
The Camino ran down the slope, then along the center of the valley floor.
It was autumn. In a treeless landscape the short golden stalks of the harvested fields swept up and away on each side.

I saw movement far away, up to my left.
A deer. Small set of antlers.
What was he doing out and about in clear countryside with the time approaching midday. Dangerous territory. No cover here.
But he knew that.
He was moving fast, down towards the trail ahead.

Such graceful creatures aren't they? With their fluid, high-stepping motion they add such a grace to the countryside.
A country would be the poorer without them.
I'd mentioned this to my deer farming nephew James as we'd surveyed his herd.
He'd looked at me strangely, in a farmerly type way. He regarded them differently.

I heard the crunch of gravel from behind.
That thin crunch of a bicycle tyre at speed.
I was quite close to the edge of the path. From habit I froze.
I'd learnt long ago that this tells the cyclist that I am aware of him.
It places him in control of the situation.
He knows I'm not going to make any sudden movements.
It enables him to select a safe route past.

He was moving fast. As he swept past I heard more coming.
Another three, safely spaced, whistled by, bent low over their handlebars.
Machine, effort, speed, muscles swathed in colourful lycra.
Quite a picture. Looks great fun. Wouldn't I just love to be able to do that.
I like cyclists. Except for them not using a bell. Frightens some pilgrims unnecessarily.
Many pilgrims don't know the etiquette that enables a cyclist to overtake safely.
They get frightened, then angry, then loquacious.
It appears both sides need some education.

I suddenly realised the deer and cyclist's paths were converging.
They were on a collision course.
With their heads and the hammer down, the cyclists were unaware of anything but the trail ahead, as was the deer.
As I watched transfixed, the deer approached the fence just as the first cyclist flashed past.
The deer gathered himself and leapt at it.
The second cyclist only just made it.
The deer touched down just behind him, took a balancing step then immediately launched himself at the fence on the other side of the trail.
From my viewpoint the third cyclist seemed to go under his rising hind legs.
Now that would have been some photograph.

The fourth had enough time to see the approaching catastrophe.
He pulled on his brakes, and, as his front wheel started to wobble, he swung his leg over the seat, pushed his bike down into the dirt. The bike skidded dustily into the verge. He managed somehow to keep his feet. His momentum kept him running down the trail a way.
That was nicely done.
Cyclists these days utilise that pedal-cleat system. He would have had very little time to get his shoes uncleated from the pedals. He could teach those 'Tour de France' guys something. Them and their almighty group prangs.
That was very nicely done.

The deer disappeared over the hilltop.
Amongst much excited Italian histrionics the cyclists gathered to exchange hi-fives and investigate the downed bike for damage.
I cheered, clapped, and waved approval as I approached.

I wouldn't have liked to see a cyclist injured.
I wouldn't have liked to see the deer injured.
The approaching catastrophe had been avoided.
So I guess I was happy with the outcome.
But someplace, deep down inside, where the evil Gerard lurks, I sort of wasn't.

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Beautiful prose and sound advice delivered together. Stand still and let the cyclist deal with you.

Jackie Charlton, brother of the be knighted Bobby, did his national service with the Household
Cavalry. Jackie was more at home in the armoured vehicles and was terrified of the horses. They'd
been told that if a horse bolted and they were any where near, to stand still. The horse would not
risk injuring itself by running into them. Jackie relates that "one morning in barracks I was on my
way to the canteen for breakfast. A riderless horse got spooked and thundered towards me. Despite
wanting to run I stood still. As I'd been told would happen, the horse clattered past me. Relieved, I
turned back to my billet for a change of clothes".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was now into the Meseta proper.
I’d just come over a hilltop and was dropping into a valley.
The Camino ran down the slope, then along the center of the valley floor.
It was autumn. In a treeless landscape the short golden stalks of the harvested fields swept up and away on each side.

I saw movement far away, up to my left.
A deer. Small set of antlers.
What he was doing out and about in clear countryside with the time approaching midday. Dangerous territory. No cover here.
But he knew that.
He was moving fast, down towards the trail ahead.

Such graceful creatures aren't they? With their fluid, high-stepping motion they add such a grace to the countryside.
A country would be the poorer without them.
I'd mentioned this to my deer farming nephew James as we'd surveyed his herd.
He'd looked at me strangely, in a farmerly type way. He regarded them differently.

I heard the crunch of gravel from behind.
That thin crunch of a bicycle tyre at speed.
I was quite close to the edge of the path. From habit I froze.
I'd learnt long ago that this tells the cyclist that I am aware of him.
It places him in control of the situation.
He knows I'm not going to make any sudden movements.
It enables him to select a safe route past.

He was moving fast. As he swept past I heard more coming.
Another three, safely spaced, whistled by, bent low over their handlebars.
Machine, effort, speed, combined with colourful lycra.
Quite a picture. Looks great fun. Wouldn't I just love to be able to do that.
I like cyclists. Except for them not using a bell. Frightens some pilgrims unnecessarily.
Many pilgrims don't know the etiquette that enables a cyclist to overtake safely.
They get frightened, then angry, then loquacious.
It appears both sides need some education.

I suddenly realised the deer and cyclist's paths were converging.
They were on a collision course.
With their heads and the hammer down, the cyclists were unaware of anything but the path ahead, as was the deer.
As I watched transfixed, the deer approached the fence just as the first cyclist flashed past.
The deer gathered himself and leapt at it.
The second cyclist only just made it.
The deer touched down just behind him, took a balancing step then immediately launched himself at the fence on the other side of the trail.
From my viewpoint the third cyclist seemed to go under his rising hind legs.
Now that would have been some photo.

The fourth had enough time to see the approaching catastrophe.
He pulled on his brakes, and, as his front wheel started to wobble, he swung his leg over the seat, pushed his bike down into the dirt. The bike skidded dustily into the verge. He managed somehow to keep his feet. His momentum kept him running down the trail a way.
That was nicely done.
Cyclists these days utilise that pedal-cleat system. He would have had very little time to get his shoes uncleated from the pedal. He could teach those 'Tour de France' guys something. Them and their almighty group prangs.
That was very nicely done.

The deer disappeared over the hilltop.
Amongst much excited Italian histrionics the cyclists gathered to exchange hi-fives and investigate the downed bike for damage.
I cheered, clapped, and waved approval as I approached.

I wouldn't have liked to see a cyclist injured.
I wouldn't have liked to see the deer injured.
The approaching catastrophe had been avoided.
So I guess I was happy with the outcome.
But someplace, deep down inside, where the evil Gerard lurks, I sort of wasn't.

Regards
Gerard
You should be the Official Camino Poet Laureate. Do you stay awake at night thinking up this stuff :) Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You should be the Official Camino Poet Laureate. Do you stay awake at night thinking up this stuff :) Buen Camino
No mate I don't.
All stories of true events.
It's strange tho. Before I hit the 'Post' button I re-read the story and thought "What a waste of space this story is. Just about a deer I saw and an accident that never happened. Nobody will be interested in this."
So you don't know do you?

Thanks everybody for your kind comments.
Regards
Gerard

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
No mate I don't.
All stories of true events.
It's strange tho. Before I hit the 'Post' button I re-read the story and thought "What a waste of space this story is. Just about a deer I saw and an accident that never happened. Nobody will be interested in this."
So you don't know do you?

Thanks everybody for your kind comment
Regards
Gerard
Yes and Abraham Lincoln thought the Gettysburg address was a dud. LMAO, you know I'm one of the camino walkers that was hoping for the worst! Riders in Portugal acted entitled on the trail and were rude in general the rest of the time. Just Sayin. Keep a stiff upper prose Gerard. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I agree that its a good idea to stand still and let the cyclists pass. The problem is that I can't hear them approaching, even if I have normal hearing. They just swoosh past so fast, I can't know in advance that this is the moment to stand still. And always been afraid what happens if I decide to adjust my hat or glasses exactly in that moment. With a walking pole in my hand. Probably will lose an eye when the cyclist hits the pole into my face. Cyclists are far more dangerous than feral dogs, bandits etc on the Camino, first of all because they are real.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.